IV : You shall not Make for yourself a graven image

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Thekla

And it does, my church does!

... in reference to icons, what I meant to relate was --

the ups and downs of personal spiritual development (we all tend to slip up now and again)

guard younger members (children) from developing heresies

guard new members who have arrived from other backgrounds (the "other christianities common in the earl history of the Church, and their repeats even now)

those in "less literate" cultures or conditions

I remember reports from other countries that owning a Bible was considered evidence of anti-government activity. Images are less likely to be found "politically suspect"

For those who are more spiritually mature, this may be less of an issue -- but then, Christ loves us all :)

Upvote 0
T

Thekla

And it does, my church does!

... there's another example I can provide; so "close to home" it doesn't occur when I'm 'thinking'

one of our children has a condition that makes reading very difficult. Spoken information tends to get "garbled" or rearranged.

Though he is of adult age, reading or hearing the Bible is often beyond his "capacity". Icons help - they present, using simple means available to him, the "truths of Christianity". They remind him that Christ is with us (his memory is also impaired somewhat).

In this way, icons help to provide "spiritual nourishment" for a future we did not anticipate.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.