Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
One worries a great deal more when one does not trust in the providence of God. A person could waste a lifetime on worry, and as usually happens the future does not bring about the feared thing, but brings, instead, a new worry for another day. The world needs to be saved from fear-mongering more than it needs to be saved from the fear that, somehow, something's going to change.

Yes, something will change in some direction, and if you're not holding on to the one thing that never changes, then I guess you can lose a lot of sleep.
So we should just stay in bed and let God handle everything?

Or are there some things it is okay for us to handle and other things which we shouldn't handle?

Or is that whole post just an excuse to pretend Global Warming isn't an issue?

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,273.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The thing that frustrates me is that while I know...intellectually...that there are Christians who really do take the teachings of Jesus seriously and try to do the things I mentioned. But where are they when they are truly needed?

The people who believe in the angry Jesus of Revelation are active all across the board trying to get this thing over with and get on with the punishing of all billions of people who refused to agree with them. You can see it even here, the ones who are Trump supporters are the same ones who believe in the angry Jesus. The ones who fight against trying to stop global Warming are the same ones who believe in the angry Jesus. The ones who refuse to believe that minorities in America are being discriminated against are the same ones who believe in the angry Jesus. The ones who defend Capitalism and the inequality of resources are the same ones who believe in the angry Jesus.

Where ARE those other Christians who believe in the Jesus of Love? The Jesus who taught self-sacrificing love. The Jesus who said they should bring food and water to their enemies. The Jesus who said that those people who will be first in the Kingdom will be last here.

The next 15-20 years, if that long, is likely the last opportunity the world has to save itself from a mass extinction event. America is the worse offender. America has the best resources to conquer this issue. America is in the position to demonstrate to the world the true meaning of Jesus' Love for mankind by emptying its entire cache of resources into making the planet survive.

And we still have an entire contingent of Christians supporting the current president who says that he 'doesn't believe Global Warming is real'. Without those Christians, his total support would drop into the teens...or lower.

I have a sixteen year old granddaughter who will need to live through this mess if she is to reach old age. I am heartbroken over what my generation's legacy is to her. That is just not showing Divine Love for her generation.

I'm off my soapbox.

Those are good questions.

Where ARE those other Christians who believe in the Jesus of Love? The Jesus who taught self-sacrificing love. The Jesus who said they should bring food and water to their enemies. The Jesus who said that those people who will be first in the Kingdom will be last here.

Indeed there are some. But not necessarily a majority, but more like individuals among the larger group. Here and there you find pastors that preach the full message from Christ (over time), and including such as these points you ask about. He Himself said:

12 “So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.
13 “Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. 14 For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few."

and

Matthew 7:16 By their fruit you will recognize them. Are grapes gathered from thornbushes, or figs from thistles?

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,273.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So we should just stay in bed and let God handle everything?

Or are there some things it is okay for us to handle and other things which we shouldn't handle?

Or is that whole post just an excuse to pretend Global Warming isn't an issue?

Mainly, global warming, with massive emissions from all developed nations (some more than others, like the U.S. and China) began, and continues to be in much of the world (such as less developed nations, and even China), a "tragedy of the commons".

No one seems to own the atmosphere or the oceans, and at first, a society doesn't generally think to try to take care of them. Not even today, largely.

It's initially hard for a society to focus itself on long-term trends that seem to possibly affect some unknown others somewhere else maybe, but not our own home. It takes time for awareness to dawn.

How much worse then when after a problem becomes clear, for any group to ideologically oppose it (and be sure that opposition to controlling carbon emissions has zero to do with Christianity, but is instead about mere selfishness).

But we expect "Christians" to be following a higher standard, don't we?

That's why it's so ugly when they act like merely any other group of selfish people.

That's why a sex abuse scandal, bad anywhere, is even worse in appearance when it happens in some church.

That's why denying the reality of CO2 effects on climate, bad from anyone, seems even worse when it happens in some church.

• Agree
Reactions: zephcom
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,273.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Poisons released by cows farting, by ice melting, its horrifying, what's next?
Christ said in one sense it would be like in the days before the flood, before the end, people partying, marrying, unconcerned, feeling any recompense for their actions was far away.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WherevertheWindblows

Dec 30, 2018
City
✟7,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Christ said in one sense it would be like in the days before the flood, before the end, people partying, marrying, unconcerned, feeling any recompense for their actions was far away.
I am very concerned about cow farts, what should we do? Kill them all? Lots of species fart do we kill all the animals that have gas?

• Haha
Reactions: Pioneer3mm
Upvote 0

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
What would this look like? Could we reverse technological "progress"?
At this late stage, it would look much more like the sacrifices America went through fighting WWII than just saying we are against Global Warming. Some technologies would need to be reversed...internal combustion engines come to mind here. Some technologies would need to have their development accelerated...battery technology would be one example.

In other areas, lifestyle changes would need to happen...working from home should happen at every possible place.

America needs to rapidly reduce its reliance on fossil fuels. And the technology we develop to do that needs to be rapidly spread around the world...to both friends and enemies.

All this would have been easier had we started 40 years ago. But that train has already left the station. Today it will be harder. If we wait until next year it will be even harder yet.

Upvote 0

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
I am very concerned about cow farts, what should we do? Kill them all? Lots of species fart do we kill all the animals that have gas?
<shrug> People fart too.

The reality is that, yes, cow farts contribute to Global Warming. Killing all cows is far to extreme. We will have enough life forms go extinct without actively killing all cows. The real issue is the time it takes to raise cattle for meat. It takes about two years to raise a steer for market. It only takes about nine months to raise a pig for market and just a few weeks to raise a chicken.

During the time we raise cattle, we feed them from ground that could be raising food that could go directly to people. Or the ground could be used to raise trees for sequestering CO2 from the air.

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

Funny, but true story. I'm watching "The Arrival" for the first time ever and a character on it just said, "If I don't get this data I might as well be counting cow farts in Montana."...ha ha.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
At this late stage, it would look much more like the sacrifices America went through fighting WWII than just saying we are against Global Warming. Some technologies would need to be reversed...internal combustion engines come to mind here. Some technologies would need to have their development accelerated...battery technology would be one example.

In other areas, lifestyle changes would need to happen...working from home should happen at every possible place.

America needs to rapidly reduce its reliance on fossil fuels. And the technology we develop to do that needs to be rapidly spread around the world...to both friends and enemies.

All this would have been easier had we started 40 years ago. But that train has already left the station. Today it will be harder. If we wait until next year it will be even harder yet.

What if a huge portion of the population just dropped everything and went camping?

• Haha
Reactions: Pioneer3mm
Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
During the time we raise cattle, we feed them from ground that could be raising food that could go directly to people. Or the ground could be used to raise trees for sequestering CO2 from the air.

What if a huge portion of the population observed the weekly Sabbath, the High Holy Days, and allowed the land to have a Sabbath every seven years...all as proscribed by the Torah?

Upvote 0

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
What if a huge portion of the population just dropped everything and went camping?

It would certainly help because they would almost all die and over population is the primary cause of all this problem. If the human population was about two billion instead of nearly eight billion, the whole problem would evaporate.

Do you volunteer to go camping?

Upvote 0

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
What if a huge portion of the population observed the weekly Sabbath, the High Holy Days, and allowed the land to have a Sabbath every seven years...all as proscribed by the Torah?
It wouldn't help a bit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Do you volunteer to go camping?

I enjoy camping...I kinda do it every day...

*There will come a time (pretty soon I believe) that something like a mass camp will occur.

Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Still wouldn't help a bit.

I think it would've...very very much so.

*There will come a time (pretty soon I believe) that the earth will enjoy its many many Sabbaths that it has been denied.

Upvote 0