Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
1Ti 6:10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

This isn't the standard meaning of loving something. It has a far more extreme meaning:

G5365
f??a?????´a
philarguria
fil-ar-goo-ree'-ah
From G5366; avarice: - love of money.
Total KJV occurrences: 1

Definition of avarice

: excessive or insatiable desire for wealth or gain : greediness, cupidity

av·a·rice
/'av?r?s/
noun
  • 1. extreme greed for wealth or material gain: "he was rich beyond the dreams of avarice"

It's not a sin to love money. When I got a paycheck, I loved it and that's perfectly fine. Avarice is clearly going far beyond the simple and normal love of money into more of a form of insanity, excessively and insatiably lusting after money.

Christ had one of the disciples carry his money that they shared for the group's well being. Christ was not against having or spending money. He even taught that one should use money to create more money and the one who buried it and earned no profit was a bad person and the language is very similar to the fate of those who go to hell.

Mat 25:14 For the kingdom of heaven is as a man travelling into a far country, who called his own servants, and delivered unto them his goods.
Mat 25:15 And unto one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one; to every man according to his several ability; and straightway took his journey.
Mat 25:16 Then he that had received the five talents went and traded with the same, and made them other five talents.
Mat 25:17 And likewise he that had received two, he also gained other two.
Mat 25:18 But he that had received one went and digged in the earth, and hid his lord's money.
Mat 25:19 After a long time the lord of those servants cometh, and reckoneth with them.
Mat 25:20 And so he that had received five talents came and brought other five talents, saying, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me five talents: behold, I have gained beside them five talents more.
Mat 25:21 His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.
Mat 25:22 He also that had received two talents came and said, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me two talents: behold, I have gained two other talents beside them.
Mat 25:23 His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.
Mat 25:24 Then he which had received the one talent came and said, Lord, I knew thee that thou art an hard man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed:
Mat 25:25 And I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: lo, there thou hast that is thine.
Mat 25:26 His lord answered and said unto him, Thou wicked and slothful servant, thou knewest that I reap where I sowed not, and gather where I have not strawed:
Mat 25:27 Thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the exchangers, and then at my coming I should have received mine own with usury.
Mat 25:28 Take therefore the talent from him, and give it unto him which hath ten talents.
Mat 25:29 For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath.
Mat 25:30 And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

That is very similar language that has been used to describe those cast into Hell!

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟1,007,133.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
We are also taught in Scripture that it's easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of heaven, so please be careful with that.

• Winner
Reactions: GodLovesCats
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
He even taught that one should use money to create more money

Actually, If you notice that was a parable meant to teach the Disciples of Jesus something of what is expected of them when their Lord is absent, using the principle of profits and investment, a common thing and it's understanding all can relate to...

This was a teaching moment, not about money, but about their role (and the role of every Christian) in spreading the gospel after Jesus' death. Jesus often used common things to express the things of God.

It's not a sin to love

I love my God and my husband. I would give my life for both as a result.

Love of money such that actual love is, would be a barrier to love of God.

"No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money." Matthew 6:24

Using money, simply working to pay bills and buy food - the necessities of life, isn't love. Love is more than liking to have a few dollars extra in your pocket.

Even when it comes to love of my husband, if it ever came to it, I must love God more...and the Apostle Paul indicated that even love of spouse can get in the way of the things of God..

So we must be very mindful of where we are placing our love, and it can't be to money.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1Ti 6:10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

This isn't the standard meaning of loving something. It has a far more extreme meaning:

G5365
f??a?????´a
philarguria
fil-ar-goo-ree'-ah

Definition of avarice

av·a·rice
/'av?r?s/
noun
  • 1. extreme greed for wealth or material gain: "he was rich beyond the dreams of avarice"

It's not a sin to love money. When I got a paycheck, I loved it and that's perfectly fine. Avarice is clearly going far beyond the simple and normal love of money into more of a form of insanity, excessively and insatiably lusting after money.

Christ had one of the disciples carry his money that they shared for the group's well being. Christ was not against having or spending money. He even taught that one should use money to create more money and the one who buried it and earned no profit was a bad person and the language is very similar to the fate of those who go to hell.

Mat 25:14 For the kingdom of heaven is as a man travelling into a far country, who called his own servants, and delivered unto them his goods.
Mat 25:15 And unto one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one; to every man according to his several ability; and straightway took his journey.
Mat 25:16 Then he that had received the five talents went and traded with the same, and made them other five talents.
Mat 25:18 But he that had received one went and digged in the earth, and hid his lord's money.
Mat 25:19 After a long time the lord of those servants cometh, and reckoneth with them.
Mat 25:20 And so he that had received five talents came and brought other five talents, saying, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me five talents: behold, I have gained beside them five talents more.
Mat 25:21 His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.
Mat 25:22 He also that had received two talents came and said, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me two talents: behold, I have gained two other talents beside them.
Mat 25:23 His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.
Mat 25:24 Then he which had received the one talent came and said, Lord, I knew thee that thou art an hard man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed:
Mat 25:25 And I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: lo, there thou hast that is thine.
Mat 25:26 His lord answered and said unto him, Thou wicked and slothful servant, thou knewest that I reap where I sowed not, and gather where I have not strawed:
Mat 25:27 Thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the exchangers, and then at my coming I should have received mine own with usury.
Mat 25:28 Take therefore the talent from him, and give it unto him which hath ten talents.
Mat 25:29 For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath.
Mat 25:30 And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

That is very similar language that has been used to describe those cast into Hell!
When Paul spoke of "loving money", He spoke particularly of allowing money to be one's goal in life.

Here is the NKJV context ...

1 Timothy 6

6 Now godliness with contentment is great gain. 7 For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. 8 And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content. 9 But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and harmful lusts which drown men in destruction and perdition. 10 For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Jesus also spoke, in Matthew 6, of not being able to serve God ... and mammon (i.e. riches/wealth/power) ...

24 “No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon.

Upvote 0

Trusting in Him

Oct 25, 2021
Devon
✟49,590.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Where are your priorities? God must always come first and that must be every time!

For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged. (1 Corinthians 11:31)

If we are mindful to seek to please God, He will not need to judge us for not observing His will, or His statutes. We don't need to be legalistic about this at all. If we truely seek to walk with Him and in His ways and trust in Him to guide us all will be well.

I will delight myself in thy statutes: I will not forget thy word. (Psalm 119:16)

Upvote 0

Trusting in Him

Oct 25, 2021
Devon
✟49,590.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Times are getting harder and more difficult for many of us and we are not told in the bible that in the last days, that the love of many will grow cold. We need to be careful that we don't allow our financially difficult times to cause our love to become cold as a result of letting our finances become our only priority and no longer put God first!

• Useful
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The text does not state that love of money is sin, it states coveting is sin.

Love of money does not necessarily mean greed, it can be desired to use for good things.

G5365
f??a?????´a
philarguria
fil-ar-goo-ree'-ah

Definition of avarice

av·a·rice
/'av?r?s/
noun

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

G5365
f??a?????´a
philarguria
fil-ar-goo-ree'-ah

Definition of avarice

av·a·rice
/'av?r?s/
noun

It’s often summed up by the word “concupiscence”. This is to love and desire something inordinately, to make it your god. So lust is to idolize sex, gluttony to idolize food, greed is the idolization of wealth and materialism. Pride is to idolize the self, to covet self-glory, beyond what we should naturally deserve. Etc It’s all to want something beyond the natural and healthy need for it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tionbai

Sep 12, 2019
Oslo
✟14,667.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't think the problem is being grateful and joyful when you receive resources to spend on your needs in life.

"Love of money" I think describes a particular kind of state of mind. It's not money that's the problem, it's the kind of love that it's pointing toward. If you are happy when you receive money because you can spend it on needs, people and good things, I think that's good. But if you simply love money for the sake of having money, that's the root of evil, I believe. Because there is a fundamental greediness to that kind of desire. You just want the resources to store up material assets for yourself, just for the sake of it, and you love it.

This state of mind is the root of all evil, because it is rooted in pride and greed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I saw a video the other day depicting shortages around the country submitted by viewers. The pictures were very bleak. All that remained were organic items and expensive options. The cheap stuff was gone.

As I contemplated my preparations to increase the storehouse I was thankful. While I wouldn’t term it love I understand what you’re getting at. Absence would elicit a different headspace.

Money is a tool. I value its usefulness.

Upvote 0