We call her Blessed, what do you call her?

Xeno.of.athens

I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.
May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Luke 1:28 Into her presence the angel came, and said, Hail, thou who art full of grace; the Lord is with thee; blessed art thou among women.

‘Blessed art thou among women’; these words are wanting here in some manuscripts. They are to be found in verse 42, below.

I write of Blessed Mary, the mother of our Lord, whom Gabriel called Blessed and whom we, her children through union with Christ, call blessed.

Luke 1:41 No sooner had Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, than the child leaped in her womb; and Elizabeth herself was filled with the Holy Ghost;
42 so that she cried out with a loud voice, Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb.
43 How have I deserved to be thus visited by the mother of my Lord?
44 Why, as soon as ever the voice of thy greeting sounded in my ears, the child in my womb leaped for joy.
45 Blessed art thou for thy believing; the message that was brought to thee from the Lord shall have fulfilment.
46 And Mary said, My soul magnifies the Lord;
47 my spirit has found joy in God, who is my Saviour,
48 because he has looked graciously upon the lowliness of his handmaid. Behold, from this day forward all generations will count me blessed;
49 because he who is mighty, he whose name is holy, has wrought for me his wonders.
50 He has mercy upon those who fear him, from generation to generation;
51 he has done valiantly with the strength of his arm, driving the proud astray in the conceit of their hearts;
52 he has put down the mighty from their seat, and exalted the lowly;
53 he has filled the hungry with good things, and sent the rich away empty-handed.
54 He has protected his servant Israel, keeping his merciful design in remembrance,
55 according to the promise which he made to our forefathers, Abraham and his posterity for evermore.

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm curious what you think being blessed means?

I think she was, as a human being blessed and highly favored to fulfill the role of mother to our Savior. I most certainly believe she is far more blessed than any woman who has ever lived.

So what does being blessed mean to you. It's an honest question.

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm curious what you think being blessed means?

I think she was, as a human being blessed and highly favored to fulfill the role of mother to our Savior. I most certainly believe she is far more blessed than any woman who has ever lived.

So what does being blessed mean to you. It's an honest question.
Blessed Mary is blessed by God; it means to be received by God as both a holy person and a person beloved by God.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Blessed Mary is blessed by God; it means to be received by God as both a holy person and a person beloved by God.

I guess I don't understand "received"...

Do you believe that she was different than yourself in some way in that she herself needed no savior?

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Luke 1:28 Into her presence the angel came, and said, Hail, thou who art full of grace; the Lord is with thee; blessed art thou among women.

‘Blessed art thou among women’; these words are wanting here in some manuscripts. They are to be found in verse 42, below.

I write of Blessed Mary, the mother of our Lord, whom Gabriel called Blessed and whom we, her children through union with Christ, call blessed.

Luke 1:41 No sooner had Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, than the child leaped in her womb; and Elizabeth herself was filled with the Holy Ghost;
42 so that she cried out with a loud voice, Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb.
44 Why, as soon as ever the voice of thy greeting sounded in my ears, the child in my womb leaped for joy.
45 Blessed art thou for thy believing; the message that was brought to thee from the Lord shall have fulfilment.
48 because he has looked graciously upon the lowliness of his handmaid. Behold, from this day forward all generations will count me blessed;
49 because he who is mighty, he whose name is holy, has wrought for me his wonders.
51 he has done valiantly with the strength of his arm, driving the proud astray in the conceit of their hearts;
53 he has filled the hungry with good things, and sent the rich away empty-handed.
54 He has protected his servant Israel, keeping his merciful design in remembrance,
55 according to the promise which he made to our forefathers, Abraham and his posterity for evermore.
I call her Mary.

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I guess I don't understand "received"...

Do you believe that she was different than yourself in some way in that she herself needed no savior?
I do not believe that; it seems illogical, since Blessed Mary calls God her saviour.

• Informative
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,371.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I wonder, who told Luke such details? This was only between Mary and Elisabeth and I doubt they were writing it down as they were saying it.

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I wonder, who told Luke such details? This was only between Mary and Elisabeth and I doubt they were writing it down as they were saying it.
Luke says he researched it all; I think Blessed Mary told him.

• Love
Reactions: jamiec
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

har_habayit

Sep 20, 2023
Arizona
✟6,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Why is that, do you think?
Obviously, Protestants have a hyper fear of exalting Mary too much, which is understandable, as they see the Catholic position on The Virgin Mary as bordering on cult like veneration. I do not share the fear of the Virgin but I get the fear of the the Protestants, whose intention is simply to honor Jesus and God.

Upvote 0

har_habayit

Sep 20, 2023
Arizona
✟6,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Indeed. He is the main synoptic writer to say that he researched everything in depth and had "perfect understanding" of what he wrote about, "from the very first", so I think he can be trusted.

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Obviously, Protestants have a hyper fear of exalting Mary too much, which is understandable, as they see the Catholic position on The Virgin Mary as bordering on cult like veneration. I do not share the fear of the Virgin but I get the fear of the the Protestants, whose intention is simply to honor Jesus and God.
A priest who is also a good friend of mine says that some people are allergic to Blessed Mary; perhaps that is the issue for Protestants in general, something like hay-fever but applied to Blessed Mary.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,371.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How could she remember such long speech after such time?

Also, is there any evidence Luke met Mary? How old would she be and how long after the event would it be?

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
How could she remember such long speech after such time?

Also, is there any evidence Luke met Mary? How old would she be and how long after the event would it be?
I cannot say how old Blessed Mary would be when saint Luke was writing his gospel and Acts, but remembering words from a speech by her son given under highly memorable circumstances would not be too unusual even for someone advanced in years.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,371.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I cannot say how old Blessed Mary would be when saint Luke was writing his gospel and Acts, but remembering words from a speech by her son given under highly memorable circumstances would not to too unusual even for someone advanced in years.
It would actually be very unusual to remember such long speech word for word. Our memory is very unreliable. Anyway, we do not know what source Luke used. We do know that no other gospel author mentions this, though.

BTW, its not a speech by her son, its her own speech (and of Elisabeth), according to the text.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
BTW, its not a speech by her son, its her own speech (and of Elisabeth), according to the text.
If you are referring to the Magnificat then yes, it was spoken by Blessed Mary, and she would not have needed to memorise it because it was almost immediately taken up within the Church as a hymn to be sung, and as such was part of the collective memory of the Church.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,371.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you are referring to the Magnificat then yes, it was spoken by Blessed Mary, and she would not have needed to memorise it because it was almost immediately taken up within the Church as a hymn to be sung, and as such was part of the collective memory of the Church.
I do not know what you mean.

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I do not know what you mean.
This is the Magnificat, if your question relates to it.

The Prayer Of Mary

My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord,
my spirit rejoices in God my Savior
for he has looked with favor on his lowly servant.
From this day all generations will call me blessed:
the Almighty has done great things for me,
and holy is his Name.

He has mercy on those who fear him
in every generation.
He has shown the strength of his arm,
he has scattered the proud in their conceit.

He has cast down the mighty from their thrones,
and has lifted up the lowly.
He has filled the hungry with good things,
and the rich he has sent away empty.

He has come to the help of his servant Israel
for he remembered his promise of mercy,
the promise he made to our fathers,
to Abraham and his children forever.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,371.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is the Magnificat, if your question relates to it.

The Prayer Of Mary

My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord,
my spirit rejoices in God my Savior
for he has looked with favor on his lowly servant.
From this day all generations will call me blessed:
the Almighty has done great things for me,
and holy is his Name.

He has mercy on those who fear him
in every generation.
He has shown the strength of his arm,
he has scattered the proud in their conceit.

He has cast down the mighty from their thrones,
and has lifted up the lowly.
He has filled the hungry with good things,
and the rich he has sent away empty.

He has come to the help of his servant Israel
for he remembered his promise of mercy,
the promise he made to our fathers,
to Abraham and his children forever.
I do not know what you mean by "Mary did not need to memorize it, because it was immediately taken up by church".

There was only Mary and Elisabeth, there. No church.

Upvote 0