It just doesnt seem fair. (Warning huge Rant)

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,233.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If people really have had no opportunity to hear about God and his salvation, then they have had no opportunity to reject him either.
I believe that God is merciful and will not condemn someone for rejecting him, when in fact they were never told about him.

As stated in Psalm 19, and read in the book of Job, as described by Paul in Romans 1, and as Paul actually witnessed in Athens-- there is enough God visible in creation that any adult has all the information necessary to acknowledge His existence and grasp His essential virtuous nature. No adult has an excuse for not doing at least that much.

• Agree
Reactions: ToBeLoved
Upvote 0

GTW27

Aug 31, 2007
Western Pa
✟203,736.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It just doesn't seem fair that my mother, dad, sister, brother in law...etc all have to burn and suffer for an eternity just because they don't believe in Christ and it doesn't matter what I say to them they will ALWAYS be unbelievers.

Yet, I'm somehow saved because I'm a believer? Please! Why the heck should we be saved and the rest of the world has to burn? I mean do we HONESTLY believe this crap? And how the heck can we enjoy our eternities KNOWING that our friends and loved ones are out there suffering?

And Annihalationism is even worse than suffering forever. Why? Because Annihalationism teaches that unbelievers won't burn for forever but their very souls get destroyed! Idk about you? But to me that sounds WORSE than burning for forever. Its designed to soften the blow but to me it just sounds 50,000 times worse. The scariest part of that reality is that one day we will cease to exist. Idk about you guys but I'd RATHER eternal suffering than to just one day cease to exist. That was the scariest part of atheism to me was when I believed that one day I would die and cease to exist. I became a Christian because I didn't want to accept that reality. I didnt WANT to perish. But honestly atheism sounds ridiculous to me now. Yes, there IS a God. I've seen him and I'd be a fool to stop believing in him but honestly? How can I believe in God's justice? It is just SO unfair and either way you slice it it makes God sound like a tyrant. Whether Annihalationism is true or if they burn forever it doesn't change the outcome. It is just all seriously screwed up. Yet I continue to love and serve God anyway. I think its just time I accepted that I didn't choose God but God chose me and that the rest of my family just wasn't chosen by God. God took pity on me instead. The sooner I accept that the better.

As we grow in Him He grows in us. And as He grows in us, understanding increases. In other words, what you can not see now, you will understand then. And when you understand then, you will finally be able to see His plan from the beginning is perfect. It is not His desire that any should perish. In the mean time, keep praying for the lost, and do not lose heart, for He hears you.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
It just doesn't seem fair that my mother, dad, sister, brother in law...etc all have to burn and suffer for an eternity just because they don't believe in Christ and it doesn't matter what I say to them they will ALWAYS be unbelievers.

Yet, I'm somehow saved because I'm a believer? Please! Why the heck should we be saved and the rest of the world has to burn? I mean do we HONESTLY believe this crap? And how the heck can we enjoy our eternities KNOWING that our friends and loved ones are out there suffering?

And Annihalationism is even worse than suffering forever. Why? Because Annihalationism teaches that unbelievers won't burn for forever but their very souls get destroyed! Idk about you? But to me that sounds WORSE than burning for forever. Its designed to soften the blow but to me it just sounds 50,000 times worse. The scariest part of that reality is that one day we will cease to exist. Idk about you guys but I'd RATHER eternal suffering than to just one day cease to exist. I didnt WANT to perish.
....And Annihalationism is even worse than suffering forever. Why? Because Annihalationism teaches that unbelievers won't burn for forever but their very souls get destroyed! Idk about you? But to me that sounds WORSE than burning for forever......
I would rather not suffer either one.

That aside, the concept of Hell in the Bible is shown mainly in a few places in the NT

The only people shown being threatened with "gehenna" in the NT are the Jewish religious rulers in Mattew 23, which is eerily similar to the "Lake of Fire" in Revelation. It appears to be a Jewish/Hebrew construct from the Old Testament:

Matthew 23:33
'Serpents! brood of vipers!
how may ye escape from the judgment of the gehenna?

Then there is this "covenantle" parable showing a Rich man being tormented in a flame:

LUKE 16:24
24 "Then he cried and said, 'Father Abraham! [NC Faith/Life?] have mercy on me! and send Lazarus [Resurrection]!

that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue;
for I am [OC Law/Death?] tormented in this flame.' "

And here in Revelation 14:11

Revelation 14:11
And the smoke of the tormenting of them is ascending into Ages to-Ages.......

I have a thread at this link concerning "gehenna" and "lake of fire" for those interested [there are a plethora of threads on CF concerning "hell"]
Blessings

Is the "Gehenna" of Matt 23:33 the Lake of Fire in Revelation?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,553.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As stated in Psalm 19, and read in the book of Job, as described by Paul in Romans 1, and as Paul actually witnessed in Athens-- there is enough God visible in creation that any adult has all the information necessary to acknowledge His existence and grasp His essential virtuous nature. No adult has an excuse for not doing at least that much.

Acknowledging that he exists, yes - though some explain it away by the big bang, chance, evolution etc, if they think bout it at all.
But a person won't know about his love for sinners, his patience, mercy, grace, gift of the Holy Spirit and many more blessings, unless they are taught, and experience these things for themselves.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If people really have had no opportunity to hear about God and his salvation, then they have had no opportunity to reject him either.
I believe that God is merciful and will not condemn someone for rejecting him, when in fact they were never told about him.
So then it would be better if Jesus never came to earth and God never spoke at all?

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I would rather not suffer either one.

That aside, the concept of Hell in the Bible is shown mainly in a few places in the NT

The only people shown being threatened with "gehenna" in the NT are the Jewish religious rulers in Mattew 23, which is eerily similar to the "Lake of Fire" in Revelation. It appears to be a Jewish/Hebrew construct from the Old Testament:

Matthew 23:33
'Serpents! brood of vipers!
how may ye escape from the judgment of the gehenna?

Then there is this "covenantle" parable showing a Rich man being tormented in a flame:

LUKE 16:24
24 "Then he cried and said, 'Father Abraham! [NC Faith/Life?] have mercy on me! and send Lazarus [Resurrection]!

that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue;
for I am [OC Law/Death?] tormented in this flame.' "

And here in Revelation 14:11

Revelation 14:11
And the smoke of the tormenting of them is ascending into Ages to-Ages.......

I have a thread at this link concerning "gehenna" and "lake of fire" for those interested [there are a plethora of threads on CF concerning "hell"]
Blessings

Is the "Gehenna" of Matt 23:33 the Lake of Fire in Revelation?

I wouldn't want to suffer either either. But if I had to pick one id choose being tormented forever over ceasing to exist. The scariest part of being human to me is death. I don't want to die but then again, nobody does its a reality every human has to live with. So the concept of being tormented for forever at least I have eternal life and will never die. I'd still thank Jesus for sending me there if that was my ultimate fate because at least I wouldn't have to die. True I probably would prefer death because my torment would be unbearable but... Idk... I'd still prefer that over ceasing to exist. Ceasing to exist is by FAR the scariest thing I've ever heard of. Its true, before I was born into this world I ceased to exist but... Idk... Now that I actually know life I want to live for forever. Whether in comfort or in torment. I mean I'm a Christian so I definitely will never have to taste the second death but lets say for the sake of argument somehow I'm not saved. I'd still prefer that judgement than the latter. I highly doubt I'll change my mind either.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,553.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It seems all would end up in heaven had he stayed away, according to your reasoning.

If Jesus hadn't come, we might not have known how much God loved us.
If we'd believed in God - through nature and by reading the OT - and wanted to become one of his people, we'd have had to convert to Judaism. Humans cannot, and never will be able to, atone for their own sin - we can't "make it up to God".
John says, "THIS is love; that God gave his Son for us", 1 John 3:16. If God had never given his Son for us sinners, Romans 5:8; we wouldn't know what love was.

The OT prophesies Jesus'coming, in any case. If he never came, they would be untrustworthy.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If Jesus hadn't come, we might not have known how much God loved us.
If we'd believed in God - through nature and by reading the OT - and wanted to become one of his people, we'd have had to convert to Judaism. Humans cannot, and never will be able to, atone for their own sin - we can't "make it up to God".
John says, "THIS is love; that God gave his Son for us", 1 John 3:16. If God had never given his Son for us sinners, Romans 5:8; we wouldn't know what love was.

The OT prophesies Jesus'coming, in any case. If he never came, they would be untrustworthy.
According to your logic, God would be more loving had he remained silent and had Jesus not come to earth. All would be saved instead of most being damned.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,553.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
According to your logic, God would be more loving had he remained silent and had Jesus not come to earth. All would be saved instead of most being damned.

Not at all; when did I say that?

If God had created his universe and remained silent, we might have been perfect - he would not have given Adam a command not to eat from the tree. But the devil was still thrown down to earth, so who knows? And if God had always been completely silent - ignoring those he made - no one would have ever had a relationship with him. He must have spoken to Adam before he commanded him, as he told him to tend the garden and name the animals.
Would that have been heaven? Being perfect, but not knowing the One who made us because he didn't want to speak to us?

If Jesus had not come to earth, the only people in the world who might have been saved would have been his people, the Jews; not Gentiles.

Since God DID speak though, and Jesus DID come to earth; that's academic.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Not at all; when did I say that?

If God had created his universe and remained silent, we might have been perfect - he would not have given Adam a command not to eat from the tree. But the devil was still thrown down to earth, so who knows? And if God had always been completely silent - ignoring those he made - no one would have ever had a relationship with him. He must have spoken to Adam before he commanded him, as he told him to tend the garden and name the animals.
Would that have been heaven? Being perfect, but not knowing the One who made us because he didn't want to speak to us?

If Jesus had not come to earth, the only people in the world who might have been saved would have been his people, the Jews; not Gentiles.

Since God DID speak though, and Jesus DID come to earth; that's academic.

In your logic, all would be saved had Jesus never came to earth.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,553.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In your logic, all would be saved had Jesus never came to earth.

Not at all - like I said.
How would all have been saved? Even the Jews who had God's law couldn't keep it, and the rest of the world had no clue.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not at all - like I said.
How would all have been saved? Even the Jews who had God's law couldn't keep it, and the rest of the world had no clue.
Strong in Him said:

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,553.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Strong in Him said:

That doesn't say, or mean, that I think people would have been better off if Jesus had never come.
Jesus didn't come in the OT era - were people better off then? Were they saved then, without Jesus?

I was responding to your post where you said that the Caananites, Sodom, Gomorrah etc never had an opportunity to listen to God or choose him.
If people never get to hear about God - and I'm thinking now of remote tribes somewhere who have never heard the Gospel - I don't believe they will be judged by God for rejecting it. How can you reject someone you have never heard of and don't know?
God is judge and God is just, merciful and loving; he will do what is right.
I don't believe that it is possible that he will condemn someone because they haven't heard of Jesus - I could be wrong though. God sees the heart and sees thoughts and motives that we have no clue about.

But this is not at all the same as saying that if Jesus hadn't come then the whole world would be saved. THAT is like saying that God made a mistake when he sent Jesus and would have saved more people without him.

Upvote 0

Jane Hakes

May 3, 2018
Whitstable
✟9,010.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That's true because Adam was born perfect and sinless yet was still able to rebel against God because of his freewill and because Eve tricked him. So shouldn't that mean that Adam is now in hell? Yet many people seem to believe that Adam and Eve are in heaven right now. Hmm... I wonder...
The law does not save people in the Old Testament; their faith saves them. If they believe in God and the promises He made of sending a Redeemer (it's all through the OT), and they repent and turn from their wicked nature, they will be saved (Ezkiel 18: 26-28 is just one such promise).

Reactions: Hieronymus
Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,553.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's true because Adam was born perfect and sinless yet was still able to rebel against God because of his freewill and because Eve tricked him.

Eve didn't trick Adam, the serpent tricked Eve.
Adam knew perfectly well what God had commanded - he just chose to disobey.

Upvote 0