Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I understand, but we did get in the vitamin aisle. If you do a search on Google for "Melatonin vitamins" it will come up in the search results. Anyways, it should not be taken forever. There are warnings that it was meant to only help temporarily.
While we are not able to give medical advice here in the forums, I would add to a caution about melatonin. The body produces it naturally. IF YOU NEED IT, it can be helpful. However, if that's not the problem and you try taking it, the body will respond by producing less. It can create a new problem if we take it unnecessarily (depending on dosage).

I was put on low-dose melatonin to increase the effectiveness of radiation treatment, and I did sleep well. But this isn't a good one to self-medicate with. (And I worked in natural health for years.)

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I understand, but we did get in the vitamin aisle. If you do a search on Google for "Melatonin vitamins" it will come up in the search results. Anyways, it should not be taken forever. There are warnings that it was meant to only help temporarily.
Yeah, the poster was correct. It is a hormone produced by a gland in the brain and not a vitamin. It's an important part of our sleep wake cycle.

It is sold as a supplement and that's why it is in the vitamin aisle. I wouldn't mess about with it.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, the poster was correct. It is a hormone produced by a gland in the brain and not a vitamin. It's an important part of our sleep wake cycle.

I am not arguing that it is a vitamin like vitamin C. But it is actually labeled as a vitamin in the Google search results. If you type in Melatonin vitamins, you will find those keywords in the results.

You said:
I wouldn't mess about with it.

It is a hormone, and I agree that it is not good to take on a long term basis (as I said before). In fact, I am now not recommending it anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I will hopefully get a prayer rope when I come back, I don't know if I can find one in this Orthodoxless country.

Where does the Bible talk about a prayer rope?
I would just fast and pray about it behind closed doors.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
While we are not able to give medical advice here in the forums, I would add to a caution about melatonin. The body produces it naturally. IF YOU NEED IT, it can be helpful. However, if that's not the problem and you try taking it, the body will respond by producing less. It can create a new problem if we take it unnecessarily (depending on dosage).

I was put on low-dose melatonin to increase the effectiveness of radiation treatment, and I did sleep well. But this isn't a good one to self-medicate with. (And I worked in natural health for years.)

I agree.
I just edited my original post to remove the recommendation.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi! The Bible doesn't speak about a prayer rope, per se. You're right about that. And fasting is certainly something that the Orthodox Church does, usually with the guidance and consultation of an experienced "spiritual father" who can guide someone. But when it comes to a prayer rope, it's a tool for us Orthodox. St Paul tells us to "pray without ceasing", and our prayer ropes are helpful for doing that! They're made by tying a series of overlapping crosses on each knot, so that the Cross is always with us. Often they are made of black wool, to remind us of our sins (black) and that Christ is the Lamb of God (wool). I know personally, I can focus on my prayer much better with a prayer rope, than if I am not using one -- my mind wanders a lot! That's one reason why the Orthodox like to use prayer ropes

Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
I will hopefully get a prayer rope when I come back, I don't know if I can find one in this Orthodoxless country.
Remind me -- do you have a priest nearby? You could try getting a rosary and having it blessed by the priest if so. I'm guessing rosaries are more easily accessible in Ecuador than a prayer rope

Reactions: charsan
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Remind me -- do you have a priest nearby? You could try getting a rosary and having it blessed by the priest if so. I'm guessing rosaries are more easily accessible in Ecuador than a prayer rope
Unfortunately not right now.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bmjackson

Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2007
UK
✟293,276.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Long time insomniac here.

I have three things which l rotate: melatonin gummies at 5mg, cherry supplement which contains natural melatonin, benadryl, an antihistamine, which reduces the main cause of my insomnia.

There are various reasons why we don't sleep. Another one is raised cortisol and there are herbs which can help with that, holy basil l think.

I believe l have a connective tissue disorder, and am trying out The Cusack Protocol which l feel is helping.

Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Unfortunately not right now.
would you be okay getting a rosary and using it even if it's not blessed by an Orthodox priest? I mean really it's just beads instead of rope and it has a crucifix instead of a plain cross.

Or you could try tying one yourself. There's a pdf I found on the internet that steps you through how, I can send that to you if you'd be interested. It's challenging but not impossible - mostly just takes time.

• Friendly
Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
where does the Bible talk about a highlighter?

You can highlight words in Scripture without a marker.
But highlighting the words of Scripture is no different than highlighting words in other documents. It is not some religious means as a part of our worship of God. Prayer is more in the realm of worshiping God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You can highlight words in Scripture without a marker.
But highlighting the words of Scripture is no different than highlighting words in other documents. It is not some religious means as a part of our worship of God. Prayer is more in the realm of worshiping God.

yeah, but this is the Orthodox forum. and our primary prayer book is the Psalms, and we read a lot of Scripture when we worship God.

for us, Scripture is integral to our prayer and our worship.

be that as it may, my point was that just because the Bible doesn't mention something, that doesn't by default mean it's wrong.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RobNJ

So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish!
Aug 22, 2004
✟166,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

If you follow that "logic" to it's senseless conclusion.. Should you be posting on the neenernet, via a computer? Neither are mentioned in the Bible.

• Winner
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,180,732.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm pretty sure you can order them online from a number of sources.

Upvote 0