USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I am having problems to sleep, I usually start to think about the past, problems, and the Future. I have been trying to read in my laptop or phone to make me tired and refrain me from thinking but sometimes it makes me sleep late. I tried taking sleeping pills but my parents took them off and I think it can make me dependent on them. Is this an spiritual problem?

Pedra

Mar 6, 2015
✟36,360.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I am having problems to sleep, I usually start to think about the past, problems, and the Future. I have been trying to read in my laptop or phone to make me tired and refrain me from thinking but sometimes it makes me sleep late. I tried taking sleeping pills but my parents took them off and I think it can make me dependent on them. Is this an spiritual problem?
They say light from our devices at night can effect our body's natural rhythms . Having no light sources in our rooms ie. complete darkness helps our body produce melatonin.

Sleeping with a TV & Lights On - National Sleep Foundation
"Too much light, right before bedtime may prevent you from getting a good night’s sleep. In fact, one study recently found that exposure to unnatural light cycles may have real consequences for our health including increased risk for depression. Regulating exposure to light is an effective way to keep circadian rhythms in check."

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,013,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I’m not very good about doing this - but reading on your laptop or phone may cause you to stay up later and not be able to sleep due to the light. Try getting a routine down, maybe with herbal tea or reading a hard copy book and then when going to bed, just lie down to sleep. A prayer time before sleep is important as well.

Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Dansiph

Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟119,794.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I always hear you should stay away from electronics before bed time, try a book instead?

Do you exercise at all? That helps me sleep. The more active I am in the day, the better I sleep usually. You could try a set morning an evening routine also? It's supposed to settle your mind and get you ready for sleep. My advice would be use sleeping pills as a last resort.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,013,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I’d suggest doing the exercise earlier rather than right before bed. I agree that exercise helps, but it wakes me up when I am exercising. Try it earlier in the day or before dinner.

• Informative
Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

Dansiph

Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟119,794.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Also I didn't address the overthinking. I've heard it can be good to write it down. Like a log of your worries, concerns and plans.

Upvote 0

VMaeLove

Selbst ist die Frau
Jul 30, 2019
Saxony-Anhalt
✟124,235.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I had similar problem for many years before now. I found some things helped. Small noise like a fan and regular exercise with a healthy diet. I sleep much better now! :)
And trying to avoid the phone before bed also helps! Too much stimulations for our brain.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I always hear you should stay away from electronics before bed time, try a book instead?

Do you exercise at all? That helps me sleep. The more active I am in the day, the better I sleep usually. You could try a set morning an evening routine also? It's supposed to settle your mind and get you ready for sleep. My advice would be use sleeping pills as a last resort.
Last semester at college, I used to do exercise an hour before midnight.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

joshua 1 9

Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am having problems to sleep, I usually start to think about the past, problems, and the Future.
Sleep is over rated. When I was young I would listen to music in the radio until I fell asleep. Now I listen to a teaching on youtube. Another approch is to pray the blood of Jesus over your pillow. It would be nice if God could use that time for something productive if you can not sleep, rather then to worry.

Upvote 0

Dansiph

Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟119,794.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I’d suggest doing the exercise earlier rather than right before bed. I agree that exercise helps, but it wakes me up when I am exercising. Try it earlier in the day or before dinner.
Yeah I didn't make that clear. I rarely exercise before bed. You did remind me, I only get cold showers and a lot of the time I feel a bit sleepy afterwards. Something to do with blood flow I think. @David Cabrera could try cold showers?

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,013,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟933,034.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Keeping a daily journal may help. And I recommend a gratitude practice as its companion. This allows you to address your troubles by journaling and recognize the good things that are taking place. It helps to sway your fears. There are several apps you can use for both.

As for sleep, a drop of lavender upon the temples is known to help. It’s very relaxing. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Antoni

Aug 17, 2019
NorthEast
✟50,838.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hi David,

All great suggestions above! No electronics in bed (read a book instead!), no exercising or eating prior to bed, no caffeine in the late afternoon or evening, and Greek Mountain tea before bed (very widely drunk on Mount Athos by the monks). Has strong antioxidants as well as calming effects. It is safe, non addictive, healthy, and has been used to aid in sleep and anxiety for millennia in Greece.

Good luck friend!

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hi David,

All great suggestions above! No electronics in bed (read a book instead!), no exercising or eating prior to bed, no caffeine in the late afternoon or evening, and Greek Mountain tea before bed (very widely drunk on Mount Athos by the monks). Has strong antioxidants as well as calming effects. It is safe, non addictive, healthy, and has been used to aid in sleep and anxiety for millennia in Greece.

Good luck friend!
Where do you buy the Greek tea?

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I had similar problem for many years before now. I found some things helped. Small noise like a fan and regular exercise with a healthy diet. I sleep much better now! :)
And trying to avoid the phone before bed also helps! Too much stimulations for our brain.
You don't have issues thinking when you are trying to sleep?

Upvote 0

VMaeLove

Selbst ist die Frau
Jul 30, 2019
Saxony-Anhalt
✟124,235.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You don't have issues thinking when you are trying to sleep?

Some times but keeping my day productive helps I usually pass out once I hit my pillow lol
Like another said exercize before dinner and drinking tea help too make you tired once you go too bed. Otherwise all the energy you have just keeps you awake and goes to your brain!

Upvote 0