Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Please don't try and help me as I most definitely don't need help from people who pretend to things they know nothing of. You failed to provide a single academic link to support your case. You speak on your own authority and no other Greek sources agree with you. Gyron is not a Greek word and all you have done here is try to manipulate simple facts for the purpose of distracting from the facts. In other words, you're trolling which is against CF rules.
Academic sources? Heck, all you need is a list of the greek alphabet.
Greek alphabet - Wikipedia
"ν" this is the greek letter for "n". It is called "nu" or "ny".
"ς" this is the greek letter for "s" at the end of a word. It is called "sigma".

I don't claim to be able to translate Greek - ancient or not. But I know how this language works, and I know how to read it. All that you are doing is to demonstrate that you don't know either.

Upvote 0

FEZZILLA

Jun 24, 2003
Wisconsin
✟16,495.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Academic sources? Heck, all you need is a list of the greek alphabet.
Greek alphabet - Wikipedia
"ν" this is the greek letter for "n". It is called "nu" or "ny".
"ς" this is the greek letter for "s" at the end of a word. It is called "sigma".

I don't claim to be able to translate Greek - ancient or not. But I know how this language works, and I know how to read it. All that you are doing is to demonstrate that you don't know either.
Are you a clown? This is ridiculous and not even worth the time responding. You provided a wiki link that doesn't support your position.

The word used in Isa.40:22 is gyros. Gyron is not a Greek word.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Are you a clown? This is ridiculous and not even worth the time responding. You provided a wiki link that doesn't support your position.

Gyron is not a Greek word but γῦρον is. I copied that from your post #511 here. If you transliterate γῦρον guess what you get? You get "gyron".

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Wikipedia is also not an academic source.
Academic sources are not needed for high school level errors. Once again your error was not one that a first year Greek major would never make.

EDIT: Now that that is settled where is your evidence for a vast atheistic conspiracy.

Upvote 0

Freodin

Mar 9, 2002
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist

Wikipedia is also not an academic source.
Ok... then an "academic source". Is the MIT good enough for you?
The Greek Alphabet

Simple question. Looking at your own posts. I do nothing but quote you here.

From your post #511 - Isaiah 40:22 -- "Globe of the Earth"

Septuagint:

ὁ κατέχων τὸν γῦρον τῆς γῆς καὶ οἱ ἐνοικοῦντες ἐν αὐτῇ ὡς ἀκρίδες ὁ στήσας ὡς καμάραν τὸν οὐρανὸν καὶ διατείνας ὡς σκηνὴν κατοικεῗν
and
gyro (Latin)
Origin & history
From gȳrus‎ ("circle"), from Ancient Greek γῦρος
Now take a close look, at the fourth word in the greek text in the first quote: "γῦρον" and the last word of the second quote "γῦρος".

Are these the same? Do you see any difference? What is the difference?

Upvote 0

FEZZILLA

Jun 24, 2003
Wisconsin
✟16,495.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
No, you only demonstrated your own ignorance. You made a gross error, you thought that a nu was equivalent to a v when transliterated. I did edit my post to find more support. You made a mistake that a first year student in college level Greek would not make.
You have supplied no academic sources and most definitely well not accept your atheist link as this is a Christian forum and we are talking about a Biblical verse which no atheist qualifies to talk about. You have made zero effort to provide links supporting Carrier's made up Greek word gyron. There is no gyron in Isa.40:22 as the word is gyros. But you are so disingenuous you cannot even admit Carrier lied. Then you speak on your own authority as if you are a god. Well I don't worship humans so your opinion means absolutely nothing to me. You are clearly here just to troll and brawl and have no intention in civilized discussion.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
You have supplied no academic sources and most definitely well not accept your atheist link as this is a Christian forum and we are talking about a Biblical verse which no atheist qualifies to talk about. You have made zero effort to provide links supporting Carrier's made up Greek word gyron. There is no gyron in Isa.40:22 as the word is gyros. But you are so disingenuous you cannot even admit Carrier lied. Then you speak on your own authority as if you are a god. Well I don't worship humans so your opinion means absolutely nothing to me. You are clearly here just to troll and brawl and have no intention in civilized discussion.

None is needed for the errors that you make. And I supplied an article by an academic that you will not be able to match. Though you do not like him Richard Carrier is far superior to most in his understanding of that time and light years beyond your understanding. Your errors are high school level errors. No academic sources are needed to show your transliteration error. Your own source uses a word that transliterates to gyron.

Do you know what a "Nu" is. It is the last letter in this word that you posted: γῦρον. You can do a copy and search on the last letter yourself. That is how I came up with the article on the Greek letter "Nu". I always find it hilarious when someone who has not posted any academic articles about the subject themselves and makes high school level mistakes and then demands an academic article on something that an academic would think was too far below him.

An academic is not going to do a work on something as basic as the word gyron.

And please, pointing out your gross errors is not "brawling". You put up a ridiculous fight when proven to be wrong. When you won't own up to your gross errors you are not being civilized. Please do not make personal attacks merely because you have lost.

All you need to do is to own up to your errors and we can move on.

Reactions: Freodin
Upvote 0

Freodin

Mar 9, 2002
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
An academic is not going to do a work on something as basic as the word gyron.
Just a tiny correction - one that I am sure that you will understand, even if Fezzilla doesn't.
"gyron" is indeed not a "word" in the greek language. It is a "wordform", an inflection.

It would be the same to say that "Subduction Zone's" is the name of a poster here. It isn't. It is a grammatical variation, a wordform, of a poster's name.

Fezzi does not seem to understand how inflected languages work, but I'd say that you do and also understand the difference.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Just a tiny correction - one that I am sure that you will understand, even if Fezzilla doesn't.
"gyron" is indeed not a "word" in the greek language. It is a "wordform", an inflection.

It would be the same to say that "Subduction Zone's" is the name of a poster here. It isn't. It is a grammatical variation, a wordform, of a poster's name.

Fezzi does not seem to understand how inflected languages work, but I'd say that you do and also understand the difference.
I would say that I was aware of the concept. Exactly how it works in languages is something that I need to work on. But when it became obvious to me that he was complaining about different forms of a you word it only took me a moment to confirm my suspicions. Greek, as we both know now, is a language where the form of a noun can vary. And "gyron" is obviously one of those variations.

I wonder if he will ever take the word that he posted and do a character by character search on it.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
What about the 200 year old atheist conspiracy?

Upvote 0

FEZZILLA

Jun 24, 2003
Wisconsin
✟16,495.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
What about the 200 year old atheist conspiracy?

So you're just gonna play it off like atheists never accused the Bible of teaching flat earth. Well it may be a modern retreat from an old position but I guess its an improvement

Upvote 0

FEZZILLA

Jun 24, 2003
Wisconsin
✟16,495.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
"Gyron" would be the accusative case of "gyros". That's how languages work that use inflection to denote gramatical cases. As a "master in translation", you should know that.
I have master English translations. I have a strong grasp on Hebrew and Latin as well as some Greek from the NT. But the Septuagint is new to me and I will be studying that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
So you're just gonna play it off like atheists never accused the Bible of teaching flat earth. Well it may be a modern retreat from an old position but I guess its an improvement
This is your claim, you need to support it. Technically the Bible does not " teach" this. That is a poor choice of words.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I have master English translations. I have a strong grasp on Hebrew and Latin as well as some Greek from the NT. But the Septuagint is new to me and I will be studying that.
You claim that, but the high school level errors that you make tells us that the "mastery" is in your mind only.

First off, so you realize that Greek has its own alphabet?

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
No, I'm not. But an atheist voicing his opinion that the Bible of teaching a flat Earth is not the same thing as an atheist conspiracy dating from 1819 to convince Christians that the Bible teaches a flat Earth, which is what you allege.

Upvote 0

FEZZILLA

Jun 24, 2003
Wisconsin
✟16,495.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
No, I'm not. But an atheist voicing his opinion that the Bible of teaching a flat Earth is not the same thing as an atheist conspiracy dating from 1819 to convince Christians that the Bible teaches a flat Earth, which is what you allege.
Obviously you want to live in denial. I'm not here to brawl and fight. You want to deny it then fine.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Obviously you want to live in denial. I'm not here to brawl and fight. You want to deny it then fine.
How is asking you to support your claim, and a rather defamatory one at that brawling? If I made such a claim about Christians multiple times and would not support it I might get a bit of a talking to by the moderators here.

if we make claims we will gladly support them. That is how debate works. Expecting the same of you is only reasonable.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.