St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I understand however, how can you be edified when you nor the Father understands the conversation?

So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my understanding; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my understanding. 1 Corinthians 14:15
Be blessed.
1 Cor 14:2 - For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries.

A. God understands

B. All this tongues scripture is from the same chapter. Paul is not being schizophrenic here. He wrote a little while earlier that there are "different kinds" of tongues. That is what we see talked about in chapter 14. It is entirely possible to not understand and be edified. In fact I'm teaching on this very topic in a little while. No time to explain here, but consider this. If someone who cares about you prays for you every day, but you never know their doing it, does that prayer help you even though you technically have no knowledge or understanding of it?

• Agree
Reactions: BloodWashed91
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1 Cor 14:2 - For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries.
There is a big difference between God the Father who reveals mysteries verses a man who speaks mysteries through tongues that are not interpreted. We should exegeses the word mystery more closely and what Paul intended to communicate. It would be fruitful to understand that "tongues" is just one gift that has a specific purpose for edifying the Body of Christ. Believe it or not, God does not need to hear from us unless we know what we are saying and our heart understands what we are saying.
Be blessed.

• Winner
Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Believe it or not, God does not need to hear from us unless we know what we are saying and our heart understands what we are saying.
This is simply not what the scripture says.

And God doesn't need anything from us, but He does desire things for us. Including that we earnestly desire the gifts and that we don't forbid speaking in tongues.

• Agree
Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Its been a while since Ive been on this post, but for those taking it off topic, a reminder.

I posted this not to discredit tongues, but to seek some answers concerning a fear I have had. That fear is my prayer language was fraudulent. My understanding now is it is not, for anytime I direct my prayer (known or unknown, syllables or just grunts/groans) to God he hears.

I used to fear if my tongue didnt sound exactly like "a language" it wasnt real. But scripture says that tongues can be human or angelic language, as well as groans or just noise.

So this post isnt to parade a lack of belief in tongues, but to edify those like myself who just need some encouragement to keep praying in tongues

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Its been a while since Ive been on this post, but for those taking it off topic, a reminder.

I posted this not to discredit tongues, but to seek some answers concerning a fear I have had. That fear is my prayer language was fraudulent. My understanding now is it is not, for anytime I direct my prayer (known or unknown, syllables or just grunts/groans) to God he hears.

I used to fear if my tongue didnt sound exactly like "a language" it wasnt real. But scripture says that tongues can be human or angelic language, as well as groans or just noise.

So this post isnt to parade a lack of belief in tongues, but to edify those like myself who just need some encouragement to keep praying in tongues

1 Corinthians 13 J.B. Phillips New Testament (PHILLIPS)
Christian love—the highest and best gift
13 1-3 If I speak with the eloquence of men and of angels, but have no love, I become no more than blaring brass or crashing cymbal. If I have the gift of foretelling the future and hold in my mind not only all human knowledge but the very secrets of God, and if I also have that absolute faith which can move mountains, but have no love, I amount to nothing at all. If I dispose of all that I possess, yes, even if I give my own body to be burned, but have no love, I achieve precisely nothing.

1 Corinthians 13:1-3 Easy-to-Read Version (ERV)

13 I may speak in different languages, whether human or even of angels. But if I don’t have love, I am only a noisy bell or a ringing cymbal. 2 I may have the gift of prophecy, I may understand all secrets and know everything there is to know, and I may have faith so great that I can move mountains. But even with all this, if I don’t have love, I am nothing. 3 I may give away everything I have to help others, and I may even give my body as an offering to be burned. But I gain nothing by doing all this if I don’t have love.

Paul is not saying we can speak in language of angels or that we can know all secrets or know everything there is to know or to have our living bodies burned as an sacrifice --- in short Paul is using exaggerations.

1 Corinthians 13:1-3 Easy-to-Read Version (ERV)
Let Love Be Your Guide
13 I may speak in different languages, whether human or even of angels. But if I don’t have love, I am only a noisy bell or a ringing cymbal. 2 I may have the gift of prophecy, I may understand all secrets and know everything there is to know, and I may have faith so great that I can move mountains. But even with all this, if I don’t have love, I am nothing. 3 I may give away everything I have to help others, and I may even give my body as an offering to be burned. But I gain nothing by doing all this if I don’t have love.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Since you do not understand your prayer language how would you know it was answered? And, what the answer was?

You can better serve the body of Christ by seeking some of the higher gifts.

Upvote 0

Bob Carabbio

Old guy -
Dec 22, 2010
Glenn Hts. TX
✟35,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I understand however, how can you be edified when you nor the Father understands the conversation?

So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my understanding; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my understanding. 1 Corinthians 14:15
Be blessed.

What makes you think the Father doesn't understand the TONGUE THAT HE IS GIVING YOU??? Your own cite indicates that Paul DOES BOTH - prays with his understanding, and also with the spirit (which contextually = "tongues"). Rom 8:26 furthermore indicates that the SPIRIT HIMSELF prays with no human utterance even involved.

• Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What makes you think the Father doesn't understand the TONGUE THAT HE IS GIVING YOU??? Your own cite indicates that Paul DOES BOTH - prays with his understanding, and also with the spirit (which contextually = "tongues"). Rom 8:26 furthermore indicates that the SPIRIT HIMSELF prays with no human utterance even involved.
I believe in the gift however there is always interpretation otherwise it is unfruitful.
Be blessed.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Bob Carabbio

Old guy -
Dec 22, 2010
Glenn Hts. TX
✟35,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I believe in the gift however there is always interpretation otherwise it is unfruitful.
Be blessed.
Except that's NOT what the Bible says. I'll stick with God's Word.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I really hate doing this back a forth thing especially on the subject of tongues. I understand this is a very important part of a Charismatic approach to prayer , but I must at least make a clarification on what I believe Paul is speaking of when he makes this statement.

What is the conclusion then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will also pray with the understanding. I will sing with the spirit, and I will also sing with the understanding.

This is the closest Greek translation using the Greek Interlinear Bible.

What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

upload_2019-12-10_8-20-55.png

" I will pray with the spirit, and I will also pray with the understanding."
I understand that when I pray, I should also understand what I am praying about at all times. I also believe that the Holy Spirit dwells in me and I am praying in His Spirit at all times while I have understanding.

As a reminder, I spoke in tongues upon conversion in the 80's. It was not many years later, taught to me or even pressured on me because I am a Pentecostal it simply came out.

Be blessed

Last edited:
  • Winner
Upvote 0

Bob Carabbio

Old guy -
Dec 22, 2010
Glenn Hts. TX
✟35,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I understand that when I pray, I should also understand what I am praying about at all times.

Agree to disagree.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I really hate doing this back a forth thing especially on the subject of tongues. I understand this is a very important part of a Charismatic approach to prayer , but I must at least make a clarification on what I believe Paul is speaking of when he makes this statement.

What is the conclusion then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will also pray with the understanding. I will sing with the spirit, and I will also sing with the understanding.

This is the closest Greek translation using the Greek Interlinear Bible.

What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

View attachment 268228

I understand that when I pray, I should also understand what I am praying about at all times. I also believe that the Holy Spirit dwells in me and I am praying in His Spirit at all times while I have understanding.

As a reminder, I spoke in tongues upon conversion in the 80's. It was not many years later, taught to me or even pressured on me because I am a Pentecostal it simply came out.

Be blessed
There are "different kinds" of tongues according to 1 Cor 12. What you are doing is trying to shoe-horn all the different kinds into one. With tongues for interpretation in a church setting you are absolutely right. But there are other kinds of tongues, including for personal edification, which operate differently, have different purposes, and a different order attached to them.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are "different kinds" of tongues according to 1 Cor 12. What you are doing is trying to shoe-horn all the different kinds into one. With tongues for interpretation in a church setting you are absolutely right. But there are other kinds of tongues, including for personal edification, which operate differently, have different purposes, and a different order attached to them.
Yes, I understand however I believe there is only one kind described in Acts 2.
Be blessed.

• Winner
Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I understand however I believe there is only one kind described in Acts 2.
Be blessed.
right, but you've been quoting from 1 Cor 14 which describes multiple kinds

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
right, but you've been quoting from 1 Cor 14 which describes multiple kinds
I think we can agree that Corinth was full of error which is why Paul wrote much on the Body functioning as One.
Be blessed.

• Winner
Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think we can agree that Corinth was full of error which is why Paul wrote much on the Body functioning as One.
Be blessed.
Corinth should give every struggling church body hope... lol

Upvote 0