St. Cloud, MN
✟186,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That's what I'm getting at though. How does a person know their sounds/words/whatever are Spirit led and not just some jibberish?

My struggle used to be more like telling myself my prayer language didn't sound like a language at all so I had to change it.
Ah, gotcha. This is probably THE most common struggle I see. So let me encourage you in this: if you are concerned enough to be asking, then you are not doing it wrong, you're doing it right.

Upvote 0

CharismaticLady

Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Wonder why we think this about tongues? Usually we dont think like this in regards to salvation and other gifts.

I believe the enemy uses everything he can against it because he realizes more about it than we do. Sometimes I think we need to repent for listening and considering what the enemy says. That applies to me.

It is because there are prerequisites to both. Many are not born again, but believe they are saved, and others who believe in tongues believe they have the gift, but aren't even saved either. That doesn't negate that salvation is real or that tongues are for this Covenant. It goes to the individuals.

Upvote 0

CharismaticLady

Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
That's what I'm getting at though. How does a person know their sounds/words/whatever are Spirit led and not just some jibberish?

My struggle used to be more like telling myself my prayer language didn't sound like a language at all so I had to change it.

It would only be gibberish if you weren't actually being saved. All who are being saved will, at least, have the personal prayer language TO God, but not all have the office of receiving messages FROM God in tongues that requires interpretation, nor the corresponding office of interpreter of tongues.

However, once received, the gifts and calling of God are irrevocable. But you must endure to the end to receive the actual future salvation. After all casting out demons and prophecy are signs and gifts of God that only those being saved receive, and yet Matthew 7 tells us that to some Jesus will say, "I never knew you, you workers of wickedness." And many who believe the doctrine of OSAS will get that wake up call too late.

Upvote 0

CharismaticLady

Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
I knew there were thousands but goggled it. There's 6500 languages. This is meant to encourage you.

When we are faithful and just keep speaking - no matter how long it takes - we'll have breakthrough and speak fluently.

There are 45 in Kenya alone!

Upvote 0

jiminpa

Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟277,974.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
God will not give us a stone in place of bread, or emptiness in the place of the Spirit. He will not give a scorpion for an egg, or a demon for the Spirit, either.
So speak out in faith, God will not abandon his promise.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟242,456.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was curious about this because when I first started to pray in the Spirit I would have doubts, as I'm sure most do, if it was real or legitimate. I still do to be honest.

Hello ByTheSpirit. May I ask are you doubting because you didn't receive a powerful, overwhelming experience like the day of Pentecost but rather something more quiet, more peaceful? The Holy Spirit gives gifts as he sees fit, perhaps the manner the gift is given shows the manner in which it is to be used. You can interceded through all manner of things, groans, weeping etc. Use the gift between yourself and God, don't compare yourself to anyone else. Prayer and intercession is powerful and effective, that's really how you'll know if God's in it. The call and the answer. God Bless :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WoshipWarrior

Jan 31, 2007
✟14,737.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

You know by building up your spirit through prayer and time with the Word and with God. I may get flamed for this, but there's an excellent book written by Bro. Kenneth Hagin Sr called "How you can be Led by the Spirit of God" where he addresses just this - being conscious of our own spirit, and knowing when and how God is speaking to us.

Also, I interpret the Gift of Tongues as just that - tongues (language-esque). Moans, groanings, grunts, etc... I'm imagining caveman speak (UGG! UGG!!)... I do not feel are involved with the Gift of Tongues. However, remember after giving the Great Commission, Jesus said in Mark 16:17 that one of the signs that will follow those who believe is that they will speak in new tongues (there are a couple others too). It's a wonderful gift and builds up our own spirit when we pray. It is by NO MEANS unfruitful to ourselves... only in a congregational situation where there is no one to interpret is it "unfruitful". God Bless!

Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟161,131.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican

I'm not paying attention to what is being spoken through me, I'm paying attention to the edification and flow. Like scripture says, I can't understand what is said, but that is ok because it is originating from my human spirit, not my mind.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟688,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So I was wondering about this and before you just reply to my title, I ask you to humbly read my post.

I was curious about this because when I first started to pray in the Spirit I would have doubts, as I'm sure most do, if it was real or legitimate. I still do to be honest.

My question is, does the form or fashion of your prayer language really matter?

Scripture is clear that spiritual prayer is unintelligible to man, so any groans or sounds we make in faith-filled prayer, would that then classify as Spirit Filled prayer?

Mainly just to help those who may doubt, and thus by doubting not try.

question please

I have heard this issue of false tongues, but cannot find it in scripture.

can you please point me to a verse or teaching that shows the issue?

thank you.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟186,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
question please

I have heard this issue of false tongues, but cannot find it in scripture.

can you please point me to a verse or teaching that shows the issue?

thank you.

Not necessarily asking from a scriptural standpoint.

I grew up in a very cessationist Baptist church. The kind that said "Spirit filled believers" are filled with demons. They always taught tongues are false and nothing but babble. So when I pray in tongues its a mental block that I encounter from time to time.

Just a question that wasn't meant at anyone or anything in particular.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟688,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not necessarily asking from a scriptural standpoint.

I grew up in a very cessationist Baptist church. The kind that said "Spirit filled believers" are filled with demons. They always taught tongues are false and nothing but babble. So when I pray in tongues its a mental block that I encounter from time to time.

Just a question that wasn't meant at anyone or anything in particular.

so there is no scriptural basis for tongues being fraudulent

why do you believe it could be?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟186,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
so there is no scriptural basis for tongues being fraudulent

why do you believe it could be?

I explained that in my previous statement:

Past church teachings is a big reason

And perhaps even what testimonies I hear from some (I stress some) Charismatics that makes tongues seem like an out of body experience.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟788,800.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I know it can be difficult. Suggestion -renew our minds. Think on Scriptures particularly when the fraudulent thoughts begin, immediately focus on what Scriptures states such as:
I speak in tongues and magnify you Lord , I speak in tongues because it's a sign of those who believe in you, I'm not speaking to men but to you I'm speaking mysteries by the Spirit, my spirit is praying, etc

(Acts 10:46, Mark 16:17, I Cor 14,:2 14-15,)

We get to speak in tongues

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟688,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
God will not give us a stone in place of bread, or emptiness in the place of the Spirit. He will not give a scorpion for an egg, or a demon for the Spirit, either.

Amen

I explained that in my previous statement:

Past church teachings is a big reason

And perhaps even what testimonies I hear from some (I stress some) Charismatics that makes tongues seem like an out of body experience.

I'm actually trying to help. It's a struggle at times to overcome bad teachings that are nowhere based in scripture, but embraced as though they are.

When we make judgments based solely on scripture, faith and the things of God come quite natural and there is peace. If I had the questions you posed, I would first go to the word and prayer.

Look at the Prayers in the New Testament:

Eph 1:15 15 Therefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all the saints, 16 do not cease to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers:

Paul Praying for Christians - you and I qualify
17 that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him,

Subject of prayer - for more knowledge of Him

18 the eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that you may know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, (God calls you His inheritance), 19 and what is the exceeding greatness of His power toward us who believe.

Power that we have through Him.​

This is a common practice in prayer in the NT:

Ehp 3:14 For this reason I bow my knees to the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, ( Prayer)15 from whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named, 16 that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might through His Spirit in the inner man, 17 that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love, 18 may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height-- 19 to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God. (Knowledge of Him)20 Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us,

Then again here:​

Col 1:9 For this reason we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to ask that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding;
10 that you may walk worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing Him, being fruitful in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God;
11 strengthened with all might, according to His glorious power, for all patience and longsuffering with joy;
12 giving thanks to the Father who has qualified us to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in the light.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So I was wondering about this and before you just reply to my title, I ask you to humbly read my post.

My question is, does the form or fashion of your prayer language really matter?

Scripture is clear that spiritual prayer is unintelligible to man, so any groans or sounds we make in faith-filled prayer, would that then classify as Spirit Filled prayer?

Mainly just to help those who may doubt, and thus by doubting not try.

Yes, it must be a human language you do not speak. If it is not, it is more likely self produced.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟788,800.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jesus said "And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues.

18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover."
Mark 16:15-18

Upvote 0