St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am not a cessationist, my interest is learning what is genuine or fake.
No, you ask questions you have already decided the answer to in an attempt to "expose" the truth of what you already believe. You don't actually listen to answers people give to the question, just use it as an excuse to spam your answer. And it is quite annoying because you have torpedoed several conversations I was actually interested in.

• Haha
Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No, you ask questions you have already decided the answer to in an attempt to "expose" the truth of what you already believe. You don't actually listen to answers people give to the question, just use it as an excuse to spam your answer. And it is quite annoying because you have torpedoed several conversations I was actually interested in.

images

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Oh, I see. Now you are an expert on what conversations I'm interested in too? Hijacking spirit-filled/Charismatic conversations is funny, huh? Clearly I'm not the only one that feels this way, all anyone has to do is go back and look at the posts. You can deny it all you want the fruit speaks for itself.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Oh, I see. Now you are an expert on what conversations I'm interested in too? Hijacking spirit-filled/Charismatic conversations is funny, huh? Clearly I'm not the only one that feels this way, all anyone has to do is go back and look at the posts. You can deny it all you want the fruit speaks for itself.

images

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,604.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I just figure that if we keep feeding him he'll keep bombing this forum, and I get tired of all of these cessationists coming on here and doing what cessationists do, less than honestly trying to win converts to their unbelief. We have a forum for Charismatics and Pentecostals so that we can discuss without their harassment.
I report them without hesitation because the harassment violates the forum rules.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
That's what I'm getting at though. How does a person know their sounds/words/whatever are Spirit led and not just some jibberish?

My struggle used to be more like telling myself my prayer language didn't sound like a language at all so I had to change it.
Perhaps our focus needs to be on GOD and not "what we sound like". Otherwise what are we "praying" for at all?

It's not about "me".

It's about "He".

Amen?

(Excellent question and thread, by the way...thank you)

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,604.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Most likely however , may not likely discern correctly IMO. But again, I don't want to debate tongues as it is unfruitful.
Blessings
The point of the OP is to seek a good, sound, practical answer to his question from those who believe in the gift of tongues and have experience in the correct use of it - to assure him that the prayer language is not fraudulent.

The thread is hijacked when some turn it into a debate about whether tongues is genuine or not. This is not consistent with the OP's original question and therefore inappropriate, insensitive, and plainly not consistent with basic Christian values.

So, I agree with you in this.

• Agree
Reactions: topher694
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,604.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I appreciate the responses thus far!

My question though seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle, or I'm just not very good at reading.

If I (or anyone) pray in any form that is unintellible, whether it be groans, whimpers, single syllable noises, or "blabbing" as Cessationists like to say, would that qualofy as a tongue, or at least prayer in the Spirit?

What I'm trying to nail down here is this: Does Spirit Filled Prayer (Private Tongues) have to sound like an actual language or can it be anything that comes out?

I struggled HEAVILY with this as a new Charismatic and honestly still can, though not nearly as bad. My hope is maybe someone here reads this and with the wisdom and encouragement we can provide help a struggling brother/sister advance in their Spirit Walk
Tongues is an articulate and expressive language that you speak in faith, believing that God understands what you are saying. They are words that you speak and therefore are not 'babble'. When you are praying in tongues you are speaking words that express your heart. This is what is called 'praying in the Spirit'.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,604.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
That's what I'm getting at though. How does a person know their sounds/words/whatever are Spirit led and not just some jibberish?

My struggle used to be more like telling myself my prayer language didn't sound like a language at all so I had to change it.
Faith is the key. You speak with your mouth, but the expression comes from your heart. It is your belief that no matter how strange the words sound to you, God understands what you are saying. He is the only One who matters in this. In faith, you can make up words that express your heart to Him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,604.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I'm not paying attention to what is being spoken through me, I'm paying attention to the edification and flow. Like scripture says, I can't understand what is said, but that is ok because it is originating from my human spirit, not my mind.
It all depends on to whom you are speaking when you are praying in tongues and whether you are just sounding off from your mouth, or expressing your heart to God.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,604.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Not necessarily asking from a scriptural standpoint.

I grew up in a very cessationist Baptist church. The kind that said "Spirit filled believers" are filled with demons. They always taught tongues are false and nothing but babble. So when I pray in tongues its a mental block that I encounter from time to time.

Just a question that wasn't meant at anyone or anything in particular.
That is a very difficult false doctrine to get out of your system and does cause a mental block. Cessationism is a doctrine of demons in order to rob godly believers of a powerful enhancement to effective prayer.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,604.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I understand however, how can you be edified when you nor the Father understands the conversation?

So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my understanding; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my understanding. 1 Corinthians 14:15
Be blessed.
Jude says that when we pray in the Spirit, which I believe is praying in tongues, we build ourselves up in our holy faith. 1 Corinthians 14:2 says that when a person prays in tongues they are praying to God, therefore He does understands what is being expressed through the language spoken.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,604.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
There is a big difference between God the Father who reveals mysteries verses a man who speaks mysteries through tongues that are not interpreted. We should exegeses the word mystery more closely and what Paul intended to communicate. It would be fruitful to understand that "tongues" is just one gift that has a specific purpose for edifying the Body of Christ. Believe it or not, God does not need to hear from us unless we know what we are saying and our heart understands what we are saying.
Be blessed.
But the Scripture says that a person praying in tongues is speaking to God. Later on in the chapter Paul says that if there is no interpreter let the person speak in tongues to himself and to God. Why would Paul say that if God doesn't understand what is being said? Come on! This is common sense comprehension 101 that a 10 year old child can understand! (I say this with all due respect :) )

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,604.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
It is best to post the evidence or texts. Which have we not discussed?
Just a reminder that this is a protected forum for Charismatics who believe the modern use of tongues is genuine. You cannot continue writing these debating posts. You are violating the forum rules and you should cease and desist.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,604.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
This seems like it is borderline violating the rules of this particular forum.
It is not just borderline. It is a total violation on this thread that is protected for Pentecostals and Charismatics to be able to discuss issues without this type of intrusion.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,604.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
unlawfully seize (an aircraft, ship, or vehicle) in transit and force it to go to a different destination or use it for one's own purposes.

Anyone who wants to post in this thread can.

If it were hijacked, then others would not be able to post in it.
Read the forum rules. You do not have debating rights on this forum and you are not permitted to imply that the Charismatic practice of prayer in tongues is false in any way.

• Winner
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,604.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I am the world's worst debater. I ask questions to learn. The early church was the keeper of the Scriptures. They were taught by the Apostles themselves. So, their historical writings have value in finding out what they taught. So, yes I use the Scriptures, historical research, and modern research by Biblical Scholars. Many Scholars are filled with the Holy Spirit.
There are forums where you can debate on whether tongues is genuine or false to your heart's content, but not on this one because it is protected for the use of Pentecostals and Charismatics who believe in and use tongues as their prayer language.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟796,996.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Also, there's two other forums for followers of Jesus who believe in the manifestation of the spiritual gifts including tongues and others aren't suppose to post in those areas. On the forums page, 'the 'Spiritual Growth" forum then click. "'Spiritual Gifts." There's also a subforum "Sign Gifts" available.

I too get tired of cessationists then God reminded me I was one once! I didnt say anything against them. I just didnt realize til about 20 years ago that they were for today.

Last edited:
Upvote 0