Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
He responded to your term "Catholic," not mere churchgoers. To be a Christian, either Protestant or Catholic, one must at the very least be a theist for the word to mean anything at all.

While theists, true theists (meaning not those who just pretend), may agree that there is a god, to take the idea to that level, there is not 100% agreement on either a) that a god exists or b) that a particular god exists. Thinking along these lines leads me to believe that Sky doesn't hold the same requirement of agreement across everything he believes.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I've been told men and women who want to be women and men get operations and take drugs so they look like what they are not born as. Isn't this a lie? Lets say they succeed in not looking like what they were born as and they go meet someone. What then? Do they tell them they can't have children because they have misrepresented themselves or do they live the lie?
I'm entering this thread blind, but...

Um, what? They tell people their gender, like everyone else. If they feel like it, they tell people their sex. Hopefully they tell their partners and figure out if they want and/or can have children before making any long-term commitments.

Upvote 0

tchgrl

Apr 24, 2014
✟7,656.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Others
I've got a question and a challenge for the Christians who very strongly believe that being transgender is sinful...

It's easy to get online and say how evil transpeople are, but have you ever prayed for a transgender person... by name? There are a few to choose from here on this thread.

I challenge you to do this - pray sincerely and often for a transperson - not for God's wrath, nor for them to recognize how vile they are (as many transpeople likely would expect), but pray for those that believe in God to be faithful, and for those who do not, that perhaps they would experience Gods great love, mercy, and grace, and that they will come to know and believe in Him.

I think (and believe) that praying for transpeople will have a profound effect on your perspective, to help you recognize that we are all humans in need of salvation, because all have sinned and none of us are righteous on our own. It doesn't really matter what the sin is; all sin is an abomination. Yet God made a way for all of us vile sinners to be forgiven, and made righteous by confessing our sin and by believing in Jesus our Messiah we will be saved. The Christian must not lose sight of this reality and think more highly of themselves than they ought.

I pray that all of you who believe will seek to be a conduit for Gods great love, mercy, and grace.

Amen Jenni!!

Upvote 0

madaz

dyslexic agnostic insomniac
Mar 14, 2012
Gold Coast Australia
✟9,445.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
why would they? pray for transpeople, i mean? lost cause because teh trans would not listen to the Word.
it is for THEM to decide and it is THEIR decision. they do not want to be "cured"... seems clear. it is no matter to us. as long as they do not shove a dick up the ass, yes?.

Are you for real?

Upvote 0
Oct 25, 2013
Province of Ontario, Canada.
✟8,323.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
So you judge all of us on the basis of a minority of the minority?

I'm not judging, and my opinion may be wrong? What's your guess?

I have no idea really why a person would be born of one sex, then desire to become the opposite gender. I'd always been happy to be born a male.

Upvote 0

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm not judging, and my opinion may be wrong? What's your guess?

Judging may have been the wrong word. However, you only brought up those who "change their minds" and suggested it may be a hormonal imbalance (simple test for that one) or a mental condition. While research is not perfectly conclusive or conclusive as some would like, it is tending to show development matching closer to that of the opposite sex. However, research in this area is rather new and more study needs to be done.

There are some who regret getting the surgery for their own reasons, but it seems like most of us are rather satisfied in having had it.

I have no idea really why a person would be born of one sex, then desire to become the opposite gender. I'd always been happy to be born a male.
Let me nitpick this for a bit. It's not that we desire to become the other gender, it's that our gender identity, or brain gender if you will, doesn't match the physical sex we are born with. Since attempts to rewire the brain through therapy were rather unsuccessful, the much more successful alternative of adjusting the body has become the suggested treatment. It's not that we "want to become" the other gender, it's that we feel we already are, just that our bodies do not reflect that and the difference between the two can cause incredible stress and depression.

Most people are happy with their birth sex, or rather the fact that their brains and bodies match, so there's no disjointed feeling between the two.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
And you feel that way for a reason. Having certain genitals doesn't determine how you feel about them. Your nervous system and reproductive system developed with a pretty similar balance of sex hormones. That doesn't always happen, though I can understand that this might be hard to believe if you think that a divine being who values the gender binary is running the show rather than evolution and chaos theory.

Upvote 0
Oct 25, 2013
Province of Ontario, Canada.
✟8,323.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Judging may have been the wrong word. However, you only brought up those who "change their minds" and suggested it may be a hormonal imbalance (simple test for that one) or a mental condition. While research is not perfectly conclusive or conclusive as some would like, it is tending to show development matching closer to that of the opposite sex. However, research in this area is rather new and more study needs to be done.

There are some who regret getting the surgery for their own reasons, but it seems like most of us are rather satisfied in having had it.

Let me nitpick this for a bit. It's not that we desire to become the other gender, it's that our gender identity, or brain gender if you will, doesn't match the physical sex we are born with. Since attempts to rewire the brain through therapy were rather unsuccessful, the much more successful alternative of adjusting the body has become the suggested treatment. It's not that we "want to become" the other gender, it's that we feel we already are, just that our bodies do not reflect that and the difference between the two can cause incredible stress and depression.

Most people are happy with their birth sex, or rather the fact that their brains and bodies match, so there's no disjointed feeling between the two.

The human mind is a fascinating thing. I'm sure we always wonder what makes us think differently? Why God puts us all through different trials?

So you're saying the augmentation and change of your male to your more female like form, does make you feel more at ease? You possibly feel that you had been born the wrong sex, and want to become the gender you believe you should have been born?

Do transgendered people tend to be hetero or homosexual?

Upvote 0

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The human mind is a fascinating thing. I'm sure we always wonder what makes us think differently? Why God puts us all through different trials?

I don't have an answer to these questions. It is my personal opinion (influenced, no doubt, by the fact that I don't believe in God) that this is just a quirk of nature. It could possibly be due to hormone interaction during pre-birth development, but (again) further study is needed. Apparently when the mother is stressed, though, it does affect brain development (see linked study earlier in this topic).

So you're saying the augmentation and change of your male to your more female like form, does make you feel more at ease? You possibly feel that you had been born the wrong sex, and want to become the gender you believe you should have been born?
I am more at ease with myself yes. That's not to say that I don't have other issues that make me feel less at ease with society though. I do have much more self-esteem and confidence than I used to.

I want my body to match what my brain tells me to expect from my body, yes. It has been a source of much distress in my life for a long time and I'm finally getting around to fixing it.

Do transgendered people tend to be hetero or homosexual?
Mixed answers. Not to get into the overly technical aspects of it, but some like men, some like women, some like all, some are not interested. Doesn't matter if they are male to female or female to male, who they are attracted to is separate and depends on the individual.

I very much appreciate you asking instead of assuming though :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

David Brider

Aug 18, 2004
With the Lord
✟81,010.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Greens
I am against LGBT for many reasons. For one, it is utterly against Christianity.

You may consider it to be utterly against the flavour of Christianity that you personally adhere to, but you don't speak for all Christians everywhere. Not only do many Christians not have a problem with the fact that some people are LGBT, but there are also many LGBT people who are themselves Christians - I'm one, and am part of a thriving little LGBT Christian fellowship that meets locally at least once a month.

Upvote 0

Marius27

Feb 16, 2013
✟6,009.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat

I will add, some people may desire to become the other gender. Some who are not actually transsexual, but may have some gender identity issues may wish they had been born the other gender for various reasons (more comfortable with that role in society, relationship options, etc.) without actually feeling like they'd be happy transitioning as a transsexual would.

Upvote 0

cutekittycat

broken doll
Jun 27, 2012
✟8,043.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I will add, some people may desire to become the other gender. Some who are not actually transsexual, but may have some gender identity issues may wish they had been born the other gender for various reasons (more comfortable with that role in society, relationship options, etc.) without actually feeling like they'd be happy transitioning as a transsexual would.

that is an interesting concept there.
exception to all rules, i suppose. hopefully it does not fuel the idea of the whole T-experience being a choice... tho..

i also like to think that there is a vary in degree of transsexualism.... is there?

funny that you brought that up becuase i know one of my relative has expressed the desire - well, more like a thought - of being a man. rather, her want to be a man is based on how the society is shaped, how that men usually have some privilage or adventage over women.

in the many conversations we have had when the topic of gender-change comes up, it is more like "i wonder what it would be like if i am a man", rather than "i 'want'* to be a man". gradually, i think that desire has just faded and become a thing of a past. i guess in the end, she just got comfortable in her own skin.

*loaded word, seems like a choice, but is not what i mean.

Upvote 0

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
i also like to think that there is a vary in degree of transsexualism.... is there?

There is a lot of variety in how strong a person's gender dysphoria is for sure. This usually drives how focused someone is on getting to the various steps in transition from starting hormones to getting surgery. This is also why some people can wait patiently to save up money to get the surgery and some are barely holding back from cutting parts off themselves.

To also keep in mind that some trans people are more masculine or feminine regardless of which direction they are transitioning in, just like non-trans people may be more masculine or feminine than others.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

quartzy

Jul 21, 2010
London, UK
✟19,828.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I wonder what fuels the desire to change ones sex. This must mean that foremost in their mind is the desire to change sex. Yet sexual temptation is not the issue or is it? What ever happened to the other aspects in ones life, why concentrate on such a thing. Why do people want to change sex and not seek the right form of counselling. I really do not understand at all. I have read most of this thread but it is very long so not all of it.

Upvote 0

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I wonder what fuels the desire to change ones sex. This must mean that foremost in their mind is the desire to change sex. Yet sexual temptation is not the issue or is it?

No, it really doesn't have anything to do with sex at all. Sexual orientation (or desire) has nothing to do with your gender identity.

What ever happened to the other aspects in ones life, why concentrate on such a thing.

Because it's part of my existence. It's not a behavior or action, but constantly part of my thoughts because it causes me a lot of distress to have a body that doesn't match who I am.

Why do people want to change sex and not seek the right form of counselling.

Now I'm curious. What is the "right" form of counseling?

I really do not understand at all. I have read most of this thread but it is very long so not all of it.

You might want to do some research then. There is plenty of information available on what "transgender" and "transsexual" mean. I'd be happy to point you to information if you would like.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,166,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hmm interesting thread.

I don't really feel like I have a gender. Although I'm content with my physical sex. Not sure if I'd care if I woke up in a woman's body.. No real pride either way.. Lol.

Is this normal?

I wish I could understand transgenders.

Upvote 0

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hmm interesting thread.

I don't really feel like I have a gender. Although I'm content with my physical sex. Not sure if I'd care if I woke up in a woman's body.. No real pride either way.. Lol.

Is this normal?

I don't know if that perception is normal. Most people probably don't spend a whole lot of time thinking about how it "feels" to be a man or woman.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,166,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
They just feel it off and on?

It's not a constant feeling? Do normal people have pride for their gender? Like giving themselves a thumbs up? The only angst I really feel is when I feel like I have to conform to some stupid codr of social masculinity. People should express themselves the way they want regardless of their sex. Gender roles should be gotten away with.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.