Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
logo.gif

March 03, 2008 12:00am

The Earth may be in the firing line when one of the sky's most beautiful objects explodes, a Sydney astronomy expert claims....

0,,5918001,00.jpg

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23310103-5001021,00.html

death_star.jpg

Picture from:
http://www.zimbio.com/Cosmology/articles/115/Real+Death+Star+Aimed+at+Earth

Mickey1953

Senior Veteran
Sep 14, 2006
✟20,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I found this older article:

http://news.skymania.com/2007/08/death-star-may-be-closest-to-earth.html

Death star may be the closest to Earth

Scientists have discovered a real-life "death star" close to the Earth. The mysterious object is the remains of another sun that has collapsed into a ball just 10 kilometers or so wide....

A thimbleful of its material would weigh around one hundred million tons.

The strange body, which is estimated to lie between 250 and 1,000 light-years away, is called a neutron star. Unusually for such an object, it has no companion star and shows no tattered remains of a supernova explosion. Neither does it emit any radio pulses......

Upvote 0

Blackness

OH WOW
Nov 21, 2006
✟12,583.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Site Supporter
May 26, 2004
Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
http://www.badastronomy.com/bablog/2008/03/03/wr-104-a-nearby-gamma-ray-burst/#conclusion

A more detailed article. I have heard about these gamma rays before and yes it could possibly hit us but it is rare. But hey we gotta go sometime or another, why not go down in style. Huge explosions, beams of light bursting, etc..
Yeah, but that's not what would happen. A GRB would knock out our ozone layer. It would be UV radiation from the sun that kills us. Of course, humans would get under cover, but the oceans and much of the life on land would die. So we'd starve. Not before we fought some massive wars to steal resources from each other of course. It would be an ugly lingering death. Not exactly going out in style.

Upvote 0

Blackness

OH WOW
Nov 21, 2006
✟12,583.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, but that's not what would happen. A GRB would knock out our ozone layer. It would be UV radiation from the sun that kills us. Of course, humans would get under cover, but the oceans and much of the life on land would die. So we'd starve. Not before we fought some massive wars to steal resources from each other of course. It would be an ugly lingering death. Not exactly going in style.
I was referring to the stars exploding.

Upvote 0

CGL

Crazy Eight
Jul 4, 2007
Halifax, NS
✟9,312.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Libertarian
Why not? Jumping off a cliff or have you got a well-stocked bomb shelter?
I got a muslim buddy that's gonna share his cave with me.^_^

Still not nice to 'wish' a lingering death on the rest of humanity.
Meh, after watch a few hours of Fox News/CNN today, I have lost a lot of sympathy for my fellow earthlings.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mickey1953

Senior Veteran
Sep 14, 2006
✟20,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,335186,00.html

'Death Star' Gamma-Ray Gun Pointed Straight at Earth

(It seemed like a good picture to include..
)

death_star_brainstorming.me.jpg

Earth could be in for a neighborhood dispute with a death star, according to an Australian astronomer.

A spectacular rotating pinwheel system just down the astronomical road from Earth — 8,000 light years away — includes an unstable Wolf-Rayet star that could explode....

....There's no need to move planets just yet, however, because Tuthill is uncertain whether Earth is precisely on WR104's axis.
"We probably have hundreds of thousands of years before it blows, so we have plenty of time to come up with some answers," he said.
Tuthill's research is published in the latest edition of the Astrophysical Journal......

1_61_black_hole_jet_2.jpg

1_62_071217_3C321_artist.jpg

Upvote 0

Site Supporter
May 26, 2004
Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,335186,00.html

'Death Star' Gamma-Ray Gun Pointed Straight at Earth

(It seemed like a good picture to include..
)

death_star_brainstorming.me.jpg

Earth could be in for a neighborhood dispute with a death star, according to an Australian astronomer.

A spectacular rotating pinwheel system just down the astronomical road from Earth — 8,000 light years away — includes an unstable Wolf-Rayet star that could explode....

....There's no need to move planets just yet, however, because Tuthill is uncertain whether Earth is precisely on WR104's axis.
"We probably have hundreds of thousands of years before it blows, so we have plenty of time to come up with some answers," he said.
Tuthill's research is published in the latest edition of the Astrophysical Journal......

1_61_black_hole_jet_2.jpg

1_62_071217_3C321_artist.jpg
Why did foxnews include jets from supermassive blackholes at galactic centers with this story? They are millions of times bigger than what we are talking about here. It's like showing an image of a thermonuclear explosion when talking about a firecracker.

Upvote 0

Site Supporter
May 26, 2004
Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Supposedly this should not happen for another hundred thousand years, why care? We might be somewhere else in this Universe by then.
It could happen at any time, it may have happened 7,999 years ago and next year will be really interesting.

Upvote 0