Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Good Day, Dorothy

I dare say your God sounds much to human:
What did I say of Him that’s not a Bible verse?
Psa 23:3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Psa 25:11 for thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great.
Doesn’t say that’s the matter He cares about MOST. That’s the claim.
Bring my sons from afar and my daughters from the end of the earth, every one who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory

I made the whole house of Israel and the whole house of Judah cling to me, declares the Lord, that they might be for me a people, a name, a praise, and a glory.

by the Sea, at the Red Sea. Yet he saved them for his name’s sake, that he might make known his mighty power.
Doesn’t say that matters more to Him than anything else.
I think His passion for the Son of God is greater than for His own glory, for example.
You really need to get a concordance and rethink your thoughts on this issue.

You should not to be personally insulting. Shows a lack of confidence in your position.

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Please show me where the Bible says grace is unmerited favor.

“God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.” That is NOT unmerited favor.

Good Day, Dorothy

I gave you the standard theological definition.

I am happy with the normative English normative usage as we read english as well:

Definition of GRACE

1a: unmerited divine assistance given to humans for their regeneration or sanctification
b: a virtue coming from God
c: a state of sanctification enjoyed through divine assistance

As I stated that is a quote from the OT and would be happy in an other thread to cover that in it's context.

In Him,

Bill

Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Good Day, Dorothy

I gave you the standard theological definition.

I am happy with the normative English normative usage as we read english as well:

Definition of GRACE

1a: unmerited divine assistance given to humans for their regeneration or sanctification
b: a virtue coming from God
c: a state of sanctification enjoyed through divine assistance

As I stated that is a quote from the OT and would be happy in an other thread to cover that in it's context.

In Him,

Bill
I know. There’s no basis for it in scripture. God gives grace to the humble. Doesn’t say He gives grace for no reason.

Theologians didn’t know the reason so they figured there is none. They do that a lot. They can’t ask His Himself and they wouldn’t hear if he spoke so they up comfortable theories that are no where in the scriptures.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Why do you think so? I think it is sad if so, because then we don’t get eternal life that is for righteous. I think we should become righteous, if we are not, because:

He who does righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. To this end the Son of God was revealed, that he might destroy the works of the devil. Whoever is born of God doesn't commit sin, because his seed remains in him; and he can't sin, because he is born of God. In this the children of God are revealed, and the children of the devil. Whoever doesn't do righteousness is not of God, neither is he who doesn't love his brother.
1 John 3:7-10
I guess I should have been clearer. Our righteousness is imputed to us on faith.

For what does the Scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness.”
— Romans 4:3

God isn’t content to leave us there, though. He will conform us and transform us into the image of His Son. So if we do righteousness, it’s not because of us, but Him.

I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.
— Galatians 2:20

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What did I say of Him that’s not a Bible verse?
Doesn’t say that’s the matter He cares about MOST. That’s the claim.
Doesn’t say that matters more to Him than anything else.
I think His passion for the Son of God is greater than for His own glory, for example.

You should not to be personally insulting. Shows a lack of confidence in your position.

Good Day, Dorothy

Every single thing that Jesus (God) did was to bring glory to the God.

Now is my soul troubled. And what shall I say? ‘Father, save me from this hour?’ But for this purpose I have come to this hour. Father, glorify your name.’ Then a voice came from heaven, ‘I have glorified it, and I will glorify it again’ (John 12:27-28).

The one who speaks on his own authority seeks his own glory; but the one who seeks the glory of him who sent him is true, and in him there is no falsehood. (John 7:l8)

Father, the hour has come; glorify your son that the Son may glorify you

It was not meant to personal... only a friendly suggestion.

In Him

Bill

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I know. There’s no basis for it in scripture. God gives grace to the humble. Doesn’t say He gives grace for no reason.
That’s told to believers.

Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Isn’t that egotistical? If not, why not?
Not at all. It’s probably hard to explain to those not on the inside. Loving God, really loving Him with all your being changes you. Loving Him for what he gives you won’t do it. Loving Him for him saving you won’t do it. Those are selfish at the core, like small children loving their parents at christmas.

Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That’s told to believers.
Please show me where God stipulates that only to believers?

Judgement actually begins with the house of God. He’s more strict with believers than those who don’t know what their doing. If any man humble himself, believing it not, God gives a measure of grace. Anything else is unjust.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Not at all. It’s probably hard to explain to those not on the inside. Loving God, really loving Him with all your being changes you. Loving Him for what he gives you won’t do it. Loving Him for him saving you won’t do it. Those are selfish at the core, like small children loving their parents at christmas.
I know the benefits. But it’s pretty egotistical to command someone to love you. If you did it, I’d think so.

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Theologians didn’t know the reason so they figured there is none. They do that a lot. They can’t ask His Himself and they wouldn’t hear if he spoke so they up comfortable theories that are no where in the scriptures.

Good Day, Dorothy

Words have meanings the words that are used are used to convey truth.

I have clearly stated the meaning of the word Grace and provided a source, and have used it consistently in my Posts.

Again James 4 is a quote from the OT... the letter of James is written to Jews. It is that context this passage is to be understood.

In Him,

Bill

Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Good Day, Dorothy

Every single thing that Jesus (God) did was to bring glory to the God.
No, everything He did was out of deep love for God. They had much time alone that was deep relationship, the end goal in and of itself.
Now is my soul troubled. And what shall I say? ‘Father, save me from this hour?’ But for this purpose I have come to this hour. Father, glorify your name.’ Then a voice came from heaven, ‘I have glorified it, and I will glorify it again’ (John 12:27-28).
Of course He has a mission.
The one who speaks on his own authority seeks his own glory; but the one who seeks the glory of him who sent him is true, and in him there is no falsehood. (John 7:l8)
You won’t find many of these (b) in theological circles today.
Father, the hour has come; glorify your son that the Son may glorify you

It was not meant to personal... only a friendly suggestion.

In Him

Bill
Try not to tell me I should do things you’d be insulted if I said that to you. That’s a good measure.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Please show me where God stipulates that only to believers?

Judgement actually begins with the house of God. He’s more strict with believers than those who don’t know what their doing. If any man humble himself, believing it not, God gives a measure of grace. Anything else is unjust.
What is meant by grace?

Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Good Day, Dorothy

Words have meanings the words that are used are used to convey truth.

I have clearly stated the meaning of the word Grace and provided a source, and have used it consistently in my Posts.

Again James 4 is a quote from the OT... the letter of James is written to Jews. It is that context this passage is to be understood.

In Him,

Bill
It’s not how anyone in the Bible defines grace which means it’s not how God does. That weighs a lot with me, God’s definition. I know theologians prefer not to have to add the requirements of humility to obtain grace. Anyone can see why. But the writers of the Bible knew differently. And they knew more than all the theologians put together. None of them wrote anything close to the NT.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What is meant by grace?
That’s harder to define what it is than how to obtain it. It’s like defining what it is when you know God spoke to one. There’s a deep joy knowing the living God spoke that defies words.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
That’s harder to define what it is than how to obtain it. It’s like defining what it is when you know God spoke to one. There’s a deep joy knowing spoke that defies words.
Then how are you so sure that we are wrong if you can’t even give a cursory definition?

Can you perhaps start with what the definition is in Greek?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It’s not how anyone in the Bible defines grace which means it’s not how God does. That weighs a lot with me, God’s definition. I know theologians prefer not to have to add the requirements of humility to obtain grace. Anyone can see why. But the writers of the Bible knew differently. And they knew more than all the theologians put together. None of them wrote anything close to the NT.

Good Day, Dororthy

Last I checked the Bible does not define words... where does the Scripture define the word "grace". OIf you could provide the full context of the text and explain it that will be helpful.

I will check my Greek lexicons, but the normative use of the English word Grace has been posted.

In Him,

Bill

Reactions: Hammster
Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why does God grant this?

Good Day,

It is granted for the explicit purpose of leading them to the knowledge of the truth, ( you can not believe truth, you do not know), bring them to their senses and allow them to escape the snare of the devil because they have been captured by him, and need the ability to escape.

Ti 2:24 And the Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil, correcting his opponents with gentleness. God may perhaps grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth, and they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the devil, after being captured by him to do his will.

In Him,

Bill

Reactions: Hammster
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.