Not open for further replies.

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
(Borrowed)

Suppose 10 people sin and sin equally. Suppose God punishes five of them, and is merciful to the other five.

Is this injustice?
Grace can be applied when justice is satisfied. Christ satisfied the demands of justice, being compensated as a victim of unjustified suffering. Now grace can be applied. But grace, like generosity, is not an obligation, and as such can be applied arbitrarily.

Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
While we were yet sinners Christ died for us...

Jesus took the sin of the world on Himself but His Love was stronger than His hatred of sin.
Those two are not at odds with one another in the mind and heart of God but are an essential part of each other. If a man doesn’t love, he doesn’t hate wrong done by and to the beloved. He doesn’t care.

Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think in context Rom 9:15 doesn't assert that God saves or damns people at his whim. Rather, his failure to show mercy is temporary, as part of a larger plan whose explanation goes through the end of Rom 11.
He doesn’t ever fail to show mercy, but those people who show mercy receive mercy. Those who don’t, don’t receive it either.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I think in context Rom 9:15 doesn't assert that God saves or damns people at his whim. Rather, his failure to show mercy is temporary, as part of a larger plan whose explanation goes through the end of Rom 11.
I’m not sure if anyone has stated that God saves or damns at His whim.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
He doesn’t ever fail to show mercy, but those people who show mercy receive mercy. Those who don’t, don’t receive it either.
Be nice, get heaven.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Good Day, Dorothy

I have no idea what all people I know say about anything specifically.
You have no clue as to what any of the people around you say about anything? Really? How is this possible?
The point is the new Heart has new desires.. The giving by God has effects on us and He purposes.
If people who actually see and experience your words and deeds don’t see this new heart, it isn’t there.
If God does not give you a new heart your desires are evil, and you love darkness and hate light.

In Him,

Bill
If you were in Him, you’d be aware of your words and behavior to those around you and how your words and behavior affect others. It’s part of loving your neighbor without which no man really loves God.

Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I see it more like the prodigal son story: The son by his own bad choices is brought to his senses and can choose to be: Macho, hang in there, be willing to pay the piper, accept the punishment he fully deserves (dying in a pigsty) not bothering his father further with undeserving requests and not fuel his brother's contempt for him, or he can wimp out, give up and surrender to the one he has been hating, turn to his father in hopes of possible be granted totally undeserved mercy and have just some kind of life, so he is just willing to humbly accept pure charity.
The son had to go the whole way back home and humble himself by confessing his sin not by “accepting charity.” He never mentioned that he was not willing to accept charity and the father wasn’t offering it and made no move to do so. Forgiveness was the issue, not charity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Nope, that’s not it either. Jesus told those who had done good to go away, they had no relationship with Him.
I’m summing up your argument.

Show mercy (do something good), get mercy (get heaven).

Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I’m summing up your argument.

Show mercy (do something good), get mercy (get heaven).
No, you are misunderstanding it and attributing to me an argument I never made. You refute a straw man.

You also have to deny what Jesus says. Blessed are the merciful for they shall receive mercy. Do you disagree with this? It’s exactly what I said.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.