Is this idea in any way biblical?

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Okay, so here's the problem.

I and my wife recognize the need and necessity to go to Church. However there are only two non denominational churches in our area and, one is in town. The church in town, does not follow the word of God. They don't even practice communion (A very important part of a Christian church) in their church.

So, I've marked it as a church for us to avoid. There is one other church within 60 miles of here that I have not checked out yet.

But, we have no car and cannot afford to buy one and, 60 miles is a long commute to take by bus. If a bus, even exists to the town that we'd have to go to. We usually hitch a ride with my mother while she attends her Catholic Churches Sunday service.

I know, these all sound like excuses but, I don't mean them to sound so.

And, about 2 weeks ago while I was praying the Lord told me to become a minister so, I got ordained and started to work on my own Church group and doing research on becoming a minister.

At first, I was going to do the Church online but then, I realized "Oh yeah, if I do my church online on Youtube, how are we going to have communion?" and 'Having online service just isn't going to be the same as physically being there."

So, my idea is this.

I can start my own church from my own home and be the minister of that church.

And, by communicating with the masses online. I can reach out to thousands and thousands of Christians. More than I ever could in ANY church.

Obviously not to many people here on Christian Forums have a problem with that, as well... Christian Forums exists.

I also want to write my own book teaching the word of God to the world.

I can talk to fellow Christians around the world by communicating with them online, developing friendships with them, helping with them with their daily problems, and talking about Christianity and the ilk.

And, I can fill the ministerial parts of my obligations by running my Church from my own home trying to get as many members into my home as I can. And, if it ends up only being attended by my wife and family? At least I tried.

But, we could have communion, I could write up sermons and service, I could do everything that a church does, only from the privacy and comfort of my own home.

And it wouldn't be sinful because, I'm an ordained minister who both legally and biblically can perform those rites.

I also know legally speaking, I can start my own church from my home and run a church from home.

However, I want to know about biblically. I want to know if this is what the Lord was talking about when he told me to become a minister. If not? I'll continue to search for the answer.

It seems like the perfect plan and the perfect solution to our church problem, only... TOO perfect and far too easy. Usually the right and proper path that God wants you to take, is not easy. Which, is causing me to have doubts. I have asked God in prayer and he told me to post and ask for advice here. So, here I am.

And, I have one thought.

If this was a way to be Christian, why haven't Christians thought of it and practiced it before? And if they have, why haven't I noticed it before or seen anyone doing it through online research?

So, it seems like I already know the answer and this is NOT what God meant when he said he wanted me to be a minister.

And please, don't call me stupid or "not a Christian". Because, unlike many Christians out there? I'll admit my mistakes. I'll always search for the truth. I won't just pick the first answer someone suggests and then go with that. I'll do weeks and weeks of research and bible study to get the right solution to my problems. I want to weigh all of the options so that I can figure out what God meant when he told me he wanted me to be a minister and run my own church. If running my own church was even the solution. Maybe he wanted me to be a life coach minister or other kind of minister. I'm supposed to figure out this journey alone. God will not completely show me the way.

I just want a solution to this problem besides, move. I don't want to move far away from my family when my parents are as old as they are and, our entire family pretty much lives together. But, if that's what God wants? That's what he wants. I'm to obey.

Reactions: Sola1517

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, I mean Churches are ran in families and are passed down from father to son. But, I've never heard of someone running a home church before. I didn't know my idea, was called home church either. I can start googling more with those search terms. I mean, it exists in the law. You legally can do it.Which makes me think, maybe people have?

But, I don't know if it fits under God's law.

And you'd think, over the centuries if any Christian thought it did, they would have did it. And maybe, they did and I just can't find sources of it through my online research, I don't know.

It does seem like the perfect solution. And sometimes, the perfect solution, is not the right solution.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A couple I met made an extra wide concrete driveway for additional parking in front of their new home. They put a sign in their front yard advertising their church. The county zoning people found out about it and gave them a cease and desist order as the property was zoned residential. They moved to a park where they held services for a couple years. Then they moved to a county building with public meeting rooms and rented a room for $110. a week. The pastor did not seem highly inspired. The congregation was between one and three not including his wife. I split apart from them.

In a different county I met a woman who had a Bible study in her home one night a week. People parked along the street. Her neighbors tolerated her once a week Bible study.

There is a church in a nearby community that rented the High School band room on Sundays and held church services there. Eventually the congregation grew. Another congregation near them folded and put their church up for sale. The band room church bought the church building and holds services on Saturday nights and Sunday mornings.

In places where Christianity is illegal, people have church meetings in their homes as the authorities will not tolerate church building church buildings.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
However, I want to know about biblically. I want to know if this is what the Lord was talking about when he told me to become a minister. If not? I'll continue to search for the answer.
There is a possibility that the Lord was calling you. But it's not at all a certainty, since it comes as you were feeling frustration over the lack of a congregation near you which you could join.

And if the Lord were calling you to the ministry, you can be certain that he was not calling you to take every shortcut that you described to us and to jump into the ministry without the tools to do the job. If you have a real call, you will become a church member, be admitted to ministerial training and Bible studies within that church body, and all of that.

By the way, what church body ordained you, considering that you appear to have no connection to any organized Christian church??

It seems like the perfect plan and the perfect solution to our church problem, only... TOO perfect and far too easy.
That's right. It checks the boxes but in a technical way only

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, I mean Churches are ran in families and are passed down from father to son. But, I've never heard of someone running a home church before. I didn't know my idea, was called home church either. I can start googling more with those search terms. I mean, it exists in the law. You legally can do it.Which makes me think, maybe people have?

But, I don't know if it fits under God's law.
Isn't it written that Jesus said:
"Where two or more gather in my Name, I am there also"?
The earliest Churches were also brethren in Christ meeting in his Name.
These were no institutions with denominational creeds, where only one guy spoke to a silent crowd.
And you'd think, over the centuries if any Christian thought it did, they would have did it. And maybe, they did and I just can't find sources of it through my online research, I don't know.
But in the last century the yoke of institutionalised religion has lifted.
In countries where there is no 'organised Christianity' or where believers feel the established denominations have lost touch with the Word, people gather in his Name on their own too.
In fact, isn't that what we are doing right here too? :)
It does seem like the perfect solution. And sometimes, the perfect solution, is not the right solution.
We all need discernment provided by the Spirit of Truth.
Anyway you approach this, there are controversies you bump in to.
It's just how it is..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Isn't it written that Jesus said:
"Where two or more gather in my Name, I am there also"?
That doesn't make the 'two or three' be a church congregation. Certainly not by Biblical standards.

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That doesn't make the 'two or three' be a church congregation. Certainly not by Biblical standards.
Then what is the Biblical standard for people gathering in his Name?
What if you can only find 1 or 2 brethren?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Then what is the Biblical standard for people gathering in his Name?
What if you can only find 1 or 2 brethren?
That isn't really the point. The congregation, regardless of size, engages in certain practices under New Testament leadership. There's no administration of the sacraments projected in this scenario. He doesn't even have a car. There's no congregation, either, not even the 2 or 3. There are no worship services in prospect, and so on. What our friend would come closest to having would be the owner of a blogsite which, hopefully, would reach many people and produce some online fellowship.

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That isn't really the point.
Of course it is.

THE Sacrament is done by God: John 3:16

Okay, the discussion is going off topic, i have no solution for TS.
Nor for myself actually..
Why do you think i joined a forum across the ocean? :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Of course it is.

THE Sacrament is done by God: John 3:16
You apparently want to make "sacrament" into a purely intellectual thing just as you want to make 2 people into a congregation and a person who only communicates by way of the internet be a pastor.

If that's how it's done, then our friend can pretend to be almost anything and call whatever he does online a pontifical high mass with his wife as the Virgin Mary.

Fortunately, he seems to me to know better and to understand that some things are possible and others are just playacting. Also, that he wants to avoid engaging in the latter.

I support him to that extent, even if I delivered some bad news about the practicality of some of his ideas.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Is John 3:16 too intellectual for you?
How is it intellectual at all?
Do you want to continue to discuss the issue, or is this kind of thing all you have?

I made reference to the sacraments, which some Christians call ordinances. John 3:16 does not deal with them or refer to them.

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you want to continue to discuss the issue, or is this kind of thing all you have?
Can't you answer the question?
(i edited my post though)

Belief in Christ implies a lot more than meets the eye, you see.
"Repent" is Christ's first teaching.
This means turning from the flesh and towards God, and making an effort to do so, in humility.

Do you really think your sacraments can save you?
Are they even sacraments, are they even ordinances?
It's not even that clear.

Do you think it matters if you only have beer and rice, in stead of bread and wine?
Any Christian can baptise any Christian.
Well, etcetera...
We're going off topic with this..

Reactions: chandraclaws
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Can't you answer the question?
I don't intend to, since it has nothing to do with what we were discussing. I see no reason to go off-topic.

Belief in Christ implies a lot more than meets the eye, you see.
We were not talking about belief in Christ. We were discussing our inquirer's prospects of performing as an ordained minister.

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't intend to, since it has nothing to do with what we were discussing. I see no reason to go off-topic.

We were not talking about belief in Christ. We were discussing our inquirer's prospects of performing as an ordained minister.
Christ is the High Priest, He sent us the Helper.
Of course it is good to be part of a gathering with more than 2 people, and it's good to have within that gathering people who can minister.
I'm not disputing that.

But let's leave it at that.
We would all like to be part of the best church.
But John 3:16 is the common denominator that makes the Church.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
But John 3:16 is the common denominator that makes the Church.
John 3:16 is indeed about each person's relationship to the Lord; and the aggregate of all true believers is one definition of "church." Nevertheless, our inquirer didn't ask about becoming a Christian. He wanted to know if communicating with other people only by way of the internet would make for a Christian ministry. It won't, if we go by all that the New Testament says on the subject.

Included is the administration of the sacraments, which he couldn't do by using the internet. Then you started talking as if making a commitment to Christ (John 3:16) took care of the problem presented by him not being able to administer any of the sacraments. No, it doesn't.

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
John 3:16 is indeed about each person's relationship to the Lord; and the aggregate of all true believers is one definition of "church." Nevertheless, our inquirer didn't ask about becoming a Christian. He wanted to know if communicating with other people only by way of the internet would make for a Christian ministry. It won't, if we go by all that the New Testament says on the subject.
Alright, i think we agree here.
But it's better than nothing though..
Included is the administration of the sacraments, which he couldn't do by using the internet. Then you started talking as if making a commitment to Christ (John 3:16) took care of the problem presented by him not being able to administer any of the sacraments. No, it doesn't.
We disagree on the importance of sacraments and even on the question if they're actual sacraments.
I do get your point though, i don't disagree completely.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Okay, so here's the problem.

I and my wife recognize the need and necessity to go to Church. However there are only two non denominational churches in our area and, one is in town. The church in town, does not follow the word of God. They don't even practice communion (A very important part of a Christian church) in their church.

So, I've marked it as a church for us to avoid. There is one other church within 60 miles of here that I have not checked out yet.

But, we have no car and cannot afford to buy one and, 60 miles is a long commute to take by bus. If a bus, even exists to the town that we'd have to go to. We usually hitch a ride with my mother while she attends her Catholic Churches Sunday service.

I know, these all sound like excuses but, I don't mean them to sound so.

And, about 2 weeks ago while I was praying the Lord told me to become a minister so, I got ordained and started to work on my own Church group and doing research on becoming a minister.

At first, I was going to do the Church online but then, I realized "Oh yeah, if I do my church online on Youtube, how are we going to have communion?" and 'Having online service just isn't going to be the same as physically being there."

So, my idea is this.

I can start my own church from my own home and be the minister of that church.

And, by communicating with the masses online. I can reach out to thousands and thousands of Christians. More than I ever could in ANY church.

Obviously not to many people here on Christian Forums have a problem with that, as well... Christian Forums exists.

I also want to write my own book teaching the word of God to the world.

I can talk to fellow Christians around the world by communicating with them online, developing friendships with them, helping with them with their daily problems, and talking about Christianity and the ilk.

And, I can fill the ministerial parts of my obligations by running my Church from my own home trying to get as many members into my home as I can. And, if it ends up only being attended by my wife and family? At least I tried.

But, we could have communion, I could write up sermons and service, I could do everything that a church does, only from the privacy and comfort of my own home.

And it wouldn't be sinful because, I'm an ordained minister who both legally and biblically can perform those rites.

I also know legally speaking, I can start my own church from my home and run a church from home.

It seems like the perfect plan and the perfect solution to our church problem, only... TOO perfect and far too easy. Usually the right and proper path that God wants you to take, is not easy. Which, is causing me to have doubts. I have asked God in prayer and he told me to post and ask for advice here. So, here I am.

And, I have one thought.

If this was a way to be Christian, why haven't Christians thought of it and practiced it before? And if they have, why haven't I noticed it before or seen anyone doing it through online research?

So, it seems like I already know the answer and this is NOT what God meant when he said he wanted me to be a minister.

And please, don't call me stupid or "not a Christian". Because, unlike many Christians out there? I'll admit my mistakes. I'll always search for the truth. I won't just pick the first answer someone suggests and then go with that. I'll do weeks and weeks of research and bible study to get the right solution to my problems. I want to weigh all of the options so that I can figure out what God meant when he told me he wanted me to be a minister and run my own church. If running my own church was even the solution. Maybe he wanted me to be a life coach minister or other kind of minister. I'm supposed to figure out this journey alone. God will not completely show me the way.

I just want a solution to this problem besides, move. I don't want to move far away from my family when my parents are as old as they are and, our entire family pretty much lives together. But, if that's what God wants? That's what he wants. I'm to obey.
I don't want to appear rude, but what Biblical training have you had? Do you know God's Word well enough to guide His sheep?

Pastor/Teachers are held to a high standard Biblically. You will be in a sense responsible to God for each of their spiritual growth and teaching. God is serious when it comes to shepherding His sheep.

Are you really prepared for that? Are you strong enough spiritually to do this for the rest of your life?

I'm just asking the questions that I would be thinking myself (although I'm not called to Pastor), but if I was these are a few questions I would ask.

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In Luke 4 Jesus was described as teaching in a synagogue in Nazareth, then later in a synagogue in Capernaum and eventually in synagogues in Judea. His knowledge of the Hebrew Bible was deep and he was allowed to speak in synagogues for awhile until the chief priests ruled against his teaching and sought his arrest.

Paul went to synagogues to teach about Jesus. There he found Jews to speak to. There were some Gentile proselytes and friends of Jews who wanted to hear Paul too. If they did not tolerate Jews, they would not have wanted to listen to him as was Jewish.

Some who are gifted, talented and have studied much may find themselves speaking and writing about Jesus. Some people who want to form a church will appoint an outsider to lead them, if they cannot find a leader among themselves. Study groups have sprung up on the Internet. There are sermons to be listened to on TV shows or Christian radio stations. There are books to read and journals dedicated to Christian theology.

Upvote 0