✟21,393.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey guys! How's it going?

I do apologise in advance if this is not the correct subforum to post this question on, as this is my first time posting anywhere on here and still getting the hang of it.

Without dragging this on for too long, I'll get straight to the point.

I've just recently found out that there is a woman living in my neighbourhood who claims to both hear and speak to the woman who witnessed the murder of her 7 sons as described in 2 Maccabees 7. She is most commonly known as either Hannah, Miriam or Solomonia in English.

This woman has gained quite a lot of attention from people because many claim she works miracles in the name of "Shmuni" - The Syriac/Aramaic name for the woman in 2Maccabees7 and the name this apparition used when she first came into contact with the woman.

She says Shmuni came to her in a vision a few years ago and promised to heal her of all her illnesses, but on one condition, that she would have to do everything Shmuni commands. Refusing to do so would cause this woman pain or blindness for 3 days, as she and many other people have asserted.

I've met some of the people who've had the chance to visit her and many of them claim she's sincere, and that her work fully correlates with the Bible at all times. She places a wooden cross on people's head to work her miracles whilst uttering the name "Shmuni" somewhere in her prayers. When I first heard this, I immediately thought that was violating the laws of the Bible and what it has to say in regards to healing and who we pray to. We are to ask for healing in Jesus' name, not Shmuni, John, Peter or whoever else. Especially not some apparition who claims to be the woman who had very little background or story to begin with and whose name was never recorded.

This woman says Shmuni can perform several other miracles besides Healing, and that includes revealing someone's past and future, appearing in dreams and vision, cursing those who doubt her power and many more odd signs and wonders, if you will, in her name. Some people even testify to it which makes me a whole lot more cautious.

Worst part is - I've just recently found out that my mum & 2 aunts having been making a few visits to this woman's house and this worries me a lot. I've been trying to convince them to stop going but to no avail. They think she's powerful and that I'd get cursed for questioning her authenticity or whatever.

Unfortunately, one of my aunts has decided to visit her again this week, and so I thought this would be a perfect opportunity for me to tag along and finally meet this strange woman face to face and see it first hand. if my aunt refuses to listen to me, then I'll find out just how real she is, maybe then I'd be able to make better judgements from personal experience and have a better chance at convincing them to stop going.

So Brothers and Sisters, what are your opinions on this? Is it safe to say this woman is dealing with a demon or can this be real? I'd say the former, But I'd love to know all your thoughts on this.

I posted this thread here in hopes of reaching a broader audience in regards to this strange dilemma. Please keep in mind she does not charge people anything nor does she ask people for favours in return.

God bless!

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is it safe to say this woman is dealing with a demon or can this be real?
Yes and yes, I would have nothing to do with her at all. I would not go there either. Jesus and ONLY Jesus can do all these things. People are making a "deal" with something far beyond words even though they are having "good" results, totally not good. Praying for you and all involved.

Upvote 0

Steviooo

May 6, 2013
Sydney
✟21,393.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes and yes, I would have nothing to do with her at all. I would not go there either. Jesus and ONLY Jesus can do all these things. People are making a "deal" with something far beyond words even though they are having "good" results, totally not good. Praying for you and all involved.

Thank you for the quick response, Solomons Porch.

Please keep in mind I've never met this lady before. I don't know what she looks like and nor do I care or want anything to do with her. But for the sake of making a better judgement, I want to hear her speak and listen to her message. I think that's the only way I'll know for sure to completely avoid her afterwards. I can't fully rely on other people's experience, especially when I've been receiving conflicting answers from those who have visited her.

1 John 4:1 - Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.

If her miracles are demonic in nature, then I'll never stop protesting against her to my mum and aunts.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Clearly, in my view, this woman and her spirit have set up a rivalry against the name of Jesus. Bear in mind 1Cor 12.3 and Acts 4.12. And the business about giving the spirit total control is right out of the demonic playbook. Jesus is the only legitimate door to the supernatural. All others are false, and in the long run harmful (acts 19).

There's a book called The Beautiful Side of Evil, by Johanna Michelson (sp), which details how she got caught up in the occult. Every step of the way seemed good and right, and healing miracles were happening. It all was done under religious cover. But as she progressed further she began to have strange misgivings. She finally confronted the spirit and found out the truth.

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,086,699.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Of course there is no Shmuni in the Bible and we are only to give control of our lives to the Savior. The Bible makes it clear that the devil can do miracles. For example he can take away an illness that he put on a person, for a slight price of course, like your soul.

• Agree
Reactions: paul1149
Upvote 0

discipler7

Oct 5, 2017
tog
✟42,302.00
Country
Heard Island And Mcdonald Islands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is it safe to say this woman is dealing with a demon or can this be real?
DEUT.18: =
Avoid Wicked Customs
9 “When you come into the land which the Lord your God is giving you, you shall not learn to follow the abominations of those nations. 10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord, and because of these abominations the Lord your God drives them out from before you. 13 You shall be blameless before the Lord your God. 14 For these nations which you will dispossess listened to soothsayers and diviners; but as for you, the Lord your God has not appointed such for you.

A New Prophet Like Moses
15 “The Lord your God will raise up for you a Prophet like me from your midst, from your brethren. Him you shall hear, 16 according to all you desired of the Lord your God in Horeb in the day of the assembly, saying, ‘Let me not hear again the voice of the Lord my God, nor let me see this great fire anymore, lest I die.’
_ _ _ _ _ _ _

Those who break this law will be cursed by God with speech, hearing or mental disorders,(eg MARK.7:32) eg schizophrenia for casting spells through a medium/witch/shaman.

Christian believers are to consult God's prophets/pastors and/or the Word of God/Bible about how to live their lives on earth, and not consult the false prophets/agents of Satan(= including fortune-tellers, psychics, horoscope, tarot-cards, ouija-boards, etc).

Upvote 0

GandalfTheWise

In search of lost causes and hopeless battles
May 27, 2012
Wisconsin
✟71,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey guys! How's it going?
She says Shmuni came to her in a vision a few years ago and promised to heal her of all her illnesses, but on one condition, that she would have to do everything Shmuni commands. Refusing to do so would cause this woman pain or blindness for 3 days, as she and many other people have asserted.

She places a wooden cross on people's head to work her miracles whilst uttering the name "Shmuni" somewhere in her prayers. When I first heard this, I immediately thought that was violating the laws of the Bible and what it has to say in regards to healing and who we pray to. We are to ask for healing in Jesus' name, not Shmuni, John, Peter or whoever else. Especially not some apparition who claims to be the woman who had very little background or story to begin with and whose name was never recorded.

This woman says Shmuni can perform several other miracles besides Healing, and that includes revealing someone's past and future, appearing in dreams and vision, cursing those who doubt her power and many more odd signs and wonders, if you will, in her name. Some people even testify to it which makes me a whole lot more cautious.

Worst part is - I've just recently found out that my mum & 2 aunts having been making a few visits to this woman's house and this worries me a lot. I've been trying to convince them to stop going but to no avail. They think she's powerful and that I'd get cursed for questioning her authenticity or whatever.
I see several red flags.

One, in the NT, God's healing does not seem to be associated with a threat of removal of the healing or curses in exchange for not sinning or not obeying. There is only one healing I can recall where Jesus said anything about not sinning (and that was likely in a joking tone about the Pharisees not appreciating the man being healed on the Sabbath). All the other healings seemed to be no strings attached.

Two, I don't seen any way using a name different than Jesus in prayers is not problematic in some way.

Three, cursing people is a very rare thing. I can only think of a couple instances in Acts where something like this happened. It did not seem to be a regular occurrence and was not something that Paul (or other apostles) threatened people with on a regular basis. If Paul and the other apostles had cursed someone every time that they opposed the gospel, there'd probably have been a lot more curses recorded and a lot more things that actually happened to people opposing them.

My gut reaction is either a deceived woman caught up in powers beyond her control or a charlatan that tries to maintain control over others by promises and threats. I'd lean toward the charlatan option but wouldn't rule out something spiritual. Given the threat of "curses", there is at least some amount of control and manipulation going on that is unhealthy and potentially dangerous. Some charlatans wouldn't be above sticking drugs or chemicals into someone's drink or something to prove that they could curse people.

My advice would be to stay away from her unless after a lot of prayer you have a clear sense that God wants to you go. Are your mother and aunts Christians? Would they listen to a Biblical view on the subject?

• Agree
Reactions: Steviooo
Upvote 0

Steviooo

May 6, 2013
Sydney
✟21,393.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you all for your opinions and thorough comments on the subject. I appreciate them all and hope to see this discussion continued as I'm learning a lot from it.

Are your mother and aunts Christians? Would they listen to a Biblical view on the subject?

Yes, they are.

You see, the main reason why I chose to post this thread was because my mother and aunts follow an ancient eastern christian belief of revering saints/people that aren't specifically mentioned in the Bible, like Catholicism for example, but this goes a little beyond that.

Shmuni isn't something that just recently popped up. She's been revered as a saint by the eastern churches for hundreds of years and this exactly why my mum and aunts refuse to believe that something is wrong with the whole 'miracles in her name' thing. A quick google search will show you all the countless sites talking about her story and churches named after her.

In fact, my mother and aunts take their religious beliefs very seriously, and because it's a tradition they grew up with, It's really hard to persuade them that it might be dangerous. It's not that easy to tell them to stop going there. That'd be like telling a Muslim or anyone else to stop practising their religious beliefs, it just won't work unless the proper argument is brought to the table.

Which is why I'm here. I need all the information I could get before I have a serious discussion with all of them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
my mother and aunts follow an ancient eastern christian belief of revering saints/people that aren't specifically mentioned in the Bible, like Catholicism for example,
That's exactly how Johanna Michelson got sucked in. It happened in Mexico, and it was done under the cover of some Catholic saint or pseudo-saint, replete with statues, candles, etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
The others here are right. This is not the work of God, even if eastern tradition says it is. It does not sit right in the spirit - otherwise you would not be here and the believers here speaking against it. Imo, denounce anything to do with this woman, and prepare yourself for spiritual warfare. Learn to pray effectively to this end, and do it everyday for your own protection and also for your mom and aunties to be safe, that every attempt from this woman and the name in which she prays, will be rendered ineffective on your mom and aunties. And pray that their spiritual eyes will be opened so that they will turn from this and denounce their involvement with this woman and the name in which she prays.

If you have a talk about these spiritual matters with your mom and aunties, do your homework first. Study scriptures so you are prepared to explain why the name in which this woman prays is leading them to darkness and goes against all that which is holy. After all, a holy God does not curse someone with pain or blindness for a time if they disobey. There is no evidence in scripture that this would come from a loving and holy God. In fact, the only time there is a recording of Jesus striking anyone blind is when he called Saul and revealed himself so that he would be converted. It is because Saul (Paul) saw Jesus after he had been glorified. Vastly different circumstances, I'd say. Anyway, I'm just saying to do your studies on the matter, and be ready to defend your position.

Upvote 0