Is there really a Rainbow Bridge in heaven?

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
If you ever lost a pet, you might know a poem titled The Rainbow Bridge. Literally, it would be interpreted as a place where all of the animals that belonged to people and their guardians (no one really "owns" a pet) live together eternally. Some people say it is just an expression of the general concept that animals are very happy in heaven and will see their humans again.

Does the Bible support the literal meaning that animals cross a colorful bridge to heaven and it is not the same place where Christians who never had pets go when they die? Is it possible the pets we lost actually stay with us forever, no matter how many were parts of our lives?

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
If you ever lost a pet, you might know a poem titled The Rainbow Bridge. Literally, it would be interpreted as a place where all of the animals that belonged to people and their guardians (no one really "owns" a pet) live together eternally. Some people say it is just an expression of the general concept that animals are very happy in heaven and will see their humans again.

Does the Bible support the literal meaning that animals cross a colorful bridge to heaven and it is not the same place where Christians who never had pets go when they die? Is it possible the pets we lost actually stay with us forever, no matter how many were parts of our lives?
I haven't seen any Scripture reference to that. Sounds like wishful thinking to me. I lost a wonderful cat called Horace in 2001, we just lost our lovely 17-1/2 year old cat Daisy around a month ago. I would love to be reunited with those cats in heaven, along with my ginger ninja and my Burmese who cuddles up to me in bed first thing in the morning. But I have no Biblical assurance of that.

But I heard a wonderful testimony of a guy who went to heaven as an 8 year old, and he said that there were flowers that were musical, and birds that sang things he understood. He said he went into a home and met the occupant and sat on his sofa. He also went to a praise and worship meeting and saw what he thought was the throne room (he didn't go inside) with flashes of lightning coming out of it. He met people on the golden street, and they all knew his name. And, beat this, he had a water-fight with Jesus in the river of life! Note that this was through the eyes of an 8 year old boy and so he did what 8 year old boys did anywhere. He said that heaven was very similar to earth, but without the negative, sinful stuff.

So, I wouldn't be surprised if we found our much loved pets waiting for us in heaven. It would show the love and care that God has for us.

Reactions: jacks
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,934.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I've been to pet heaven and met with my dog there the same day my dog died...

It happened while I was thousands of miles away from home. I didn't even know my pet had already died, didn't even know she's sick and dying.

Must be a miracle! :)

Ironically, the place looks similar to some of the paintings of Van Gogh, the colors and the atmosphere, except, it wasn't a painting, it's a real place!

Upvote 0

Ttalkkugjil

Social Pastor
Mar 6, 2019
Suwon
✟34,572.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others

Sounds like something from My Little Pony.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,134.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Its just seems as a poetic expression. There is no biblical text or church teaching about some "rainbow bridge".

On the other hand, its only logical and loving to expect our animals to continue in existence after their bodily death because they are also soulish, with a spirit. Well, depends on what you mean by a pet... if soulish animals like dogs, cats etc. Or if spiders, fish and similar, I do not think such creatures are soulish, you cannot really create a relationship with them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ttalkkugjil

Social Pastor
Mar 6, 2019
Suwon
✟34,572.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Its just seems as a poetic expression. There is no biblical text or church teaching about some "rainbow bridge".

On the other hand, its only logical and loving to expect our animals to continue in existence after their bodily death because they are also soulish, with a spirit. Well, depends on what you mean by a pet... if soulish animals like dogs, cats etc. Or if spiders, fish and similar, I do not think such creatures have are soulish, you cannot really create a relationship with them.

I have a pet spider named Idzotich. I have a solid relationship with her.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,134.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have a pet spider named Idzotich. I have a solid relationship with her.
Can you define what you mean by "relationship" in this context? Do spiders feel love, joy? Or are they just "robots", interacting with the environment?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ttalkkugjil

Social Pastor
Mar 6, 2019
Suwon
✟34,572.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
The English language does not have a singluar form of "he/her" so when the sex is unknown, people have to call the anmal "it."

Did you read my posts? I already made my spider's sex known. I wrote (new emphasis here) "I have a pet spider named Idzotich. I have a solid relationship with HER."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ttalkkugjil

Social Pastor
Mar 6, 2019
Suwon
✟34,572.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Can you define what you mean by "relationship" in this context? Do spiders feel love, joy? Or are they just "robots", interacting with the environment?

Do cats feel love? Do dogs feel joy? You choose your pet, I'll choose mine.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Of course they do, or else I would not love cats and dogs that much. (If ohly dogs used litterboxes.)

Anyway, I never believed the Rainbow Bridge poem as it is written, but am certain all pets go to heaven.

• Agree
Reactions: SashaMaria
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In Heaven, Jesus will have our attention and we will be so blessed to see and share with Him, and with one another who have become like Jesus. So, our pets and favorite people of this life might not be so impressive, by comparison.

And Jesus wants us now to learn how to love any and all people > Matthew 5:46. So, we need to humble our special people and our pets who may be giving us things more our own way.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
So you think we will not care about our pets anymore after death? I am not so sure about that. Of course Jesus is much more important than all of the creatures with fur, scales, or feathers people loved in life. I want to believe that even so, we will still see everyone else who was part of our lives. I asked a vet if she thinks I will see the cat she was euthanizing in heaven. She said, "Absolutely."

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I thought sure you said "Stray with us."

Upvote 0