Dec 24, 2003
✟77,794.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I really don't see any other way to show what happens down the path of unfaith, other than allowing it to actually happen in a temporal existence. The dichotomy of life and death is not enough if there is no true and thorough realization of what was lost and why and how it was lost. Remember, that this is a temporal reality, like walking through a purifying fire and coming out refined. We are not equipped to fully comprehend the full worth of the experience. I would bet my life that if you were to speak to Job's children and servants, they would say that they would gladly experience it a hundred times over, rather than miss out on an eternal, blissful, epiphany.
This is a view that allows for an ultimately good and all-powerful God while still having suffering in the world, I grant you that. But I just don't know why I should believe that. It's definitely true that we're not fully equipped to understand something like God, just like we're not equipped to really grasp things like quantum physics or multiple dimensions. We may reason our way into discovering them, but we'll never be able to really fathom them.

But I imagine and omnipotent God wouldn't be in any way limited to having to do things in a certain way for us to understand something. I think it's reasonable to assume that he could've made us smarter instead (or more like himself, if you will).
My point is to simplify the Gospel to its most fundamental element, knowing that if you were honest you would project what was undeniable to any heart that is pure. In other words it shows what only the pure of heart would want to believe. Only the pure of heart can even see the divine Love. To the impure of heart, such thoughts as "how do I know this man's not crazy" would arise, even because subconsciously they do not want to believe. They reason upon a false image of god. It is the essence of unfaith that finds every reason not to believe, even because it despises being under any god not of ones own making, and therefore despises any truth, which they view as captivity rather than freedom from lies. That's why scripture says that the impure of heart shall not see God.
Sure, but that's assuming there is such a thing as pure and impure heart. I suppose you mean that in a supernatural sense. In which case I can't really know whether or not it's true.
If you want to discuss sound reasoning, I study semantics and I can assure you that any reasoning based on falsehood ends in a contradiction. So if you say "yes, I want to believe" with your heart, then you cannot then turn around with your mind and say "that doesn't make his claims about God trustworthy", since that is not believing on him. I mean no disrespect to you when I say that it is a contradiction of reasoning because it is based on falsehood. We all are dealing with thoughts that are of the powers of darkness trying to deceive us.
I don't get what you're saying here. If my son has been shoplifting candy, I will WANT to believe him when he says he hasn't. But the chocolate spots around his mouth may still make me conclude that he's not trustworthy.
And you can even feel the falsehood, because when we say with our heart "I want to believe" we feel a light rise in the heart, and when we say with our mind "that does not make what he says about God trustworthy", then the light we felt in our heart diminishes back into darkness. Either he is trustworthy or he is not, either you want to believe or you don't. This is why Jesus said let your conversation be either yeah or nay for anything in between is of the devil.
This light you're talking about, is it something supernatural? If so, again I'm just not convinced that there is such a thing. But maybe you're talking about the feeling of hope or sort of warm feeling I can get when I imagine something good, and then the empty feeling when you snap out of it.
Let me show you more semantics to bring home the matter. When we say "that doesn't make his claims about God trustworthy", that carries the same weight of evidence as saying, "that doesn't make his claims about God untrustworthy". In other words it means nothing so far as providing any evidence of anything other than our own doubt. The fact that I see a self sacrificing Love there at the cross of the Christ, is all I need to put my trust in the intentions of that person towards me.
I don't understand. People can give their life for whatever reason, people can be insane or indoctrinated and think they have to sacrifice themselves to save humanity.QUOTE="childeye 2, post: 73215836, member: 412375"]There's a big difference between sacrificing one's self to kill others who don't believe, and sacrificing one's self to allow those who don't believe to kill you. The semantics show that only the latter believes that Love is Eternal.
[/QUOTE]He may have believed that with all his heart, and it may be true. But whatever reason he had to believe it, I don't.
You know, they say that there is a such thing as ignorance is bliss. And scripture says that much knowledge brings much sorrow. I would have to confess that I have never found peace or hope or contentment in this world. I can only see a dog eat dog world in turmoil and unrest, people chasing the dollar, children losing their innocence, land, water and air being polluted, all the animals dying, etc..
And still, one can find perfect peace, contentment, love, joy, freedom and hope, even without believing there is a God or that the universe has any inherent purpose. When I was a Christian I assumed that anyone talking like that must be deluded, or not really having experienced the love of God like I had. But from my standpoint now, it just shows that all these things are very much in our heads, and I think that's awesome in every sense of the word.

And you're right, it's not hard to see the dog eat dog world, all the suffering. I mean, even if you exclude humans, nature is so extremely brutal that I can't imagine why a God would make it so if he was concerned with minimising suffering. No sentient being escapes suffering, and they suffer seemingly at random. There's no telling why a particular dog should be infested with parasites, or indeed why parasites should exist at all.

The more I look at nature, the less reasonable an omnipotent and caring god seems to me. Natural selection, the randomness of the universe and theory of evolution offers a much more likely explanation. Even things like religiosity appears to be adequately explained by evolution.
If you recall, you asked me why I say that God is Love? So no I am not at all implying that a lie is a necessary evil.
But you also said you don't see how God could've done it differently than by allowing evil and suffering.
I am saying that in semantics words are sentiments, or spirit if you will allow, and that there are dichotomies of sentiments upon which we reason. There are some that are overarching in the connotations of all words denoting positive and negative, such as good/evil or true/false or Love/hate or Light/dark or life/death. The negative is always relative to the positive which is why falsehood exists only to subvert the truth. Or in other words the Truth must exist before the falsehood. Thus only the positive can be Eternal and the negative temporal. Therefore God is Love, Truth, Good, Light, Life because He preceded all things.
I'm sorry, I don't see how the fact that truth precedes falsehood means that God must be good. Why couldn't God be evil?

Upvote 0

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟203,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is a view that allows for an ultimately good and all-powerful God while still having suffering in the world, I grant you that. But I just don't know why I should believe that.
It's a more plausible argument than God is evil because their is suffering in the world.
It's definitely true that we're not fully equipped to understand something like God, just like we're not equipped to really grasp things like quantum physics or multiple dimensions. We may reason our way into discovering them, but we'll never be able to really fathom them.

Our comprehension is limited in both the physical and metaphysical, but it's the foundations upon which we reason where we must begin, and so fundamentally we must understand that all things are built on faith.

But I imagine and omnipotent God wouldn't be in any way limited to having to do things in a certain way for us to understand something. I think it's reasonable to assume that he could've made us smarter instead (or more like himself, if you will).
Funny you should say that because according to scripture, He did make us exactly like Himself in Character. Moreover the creation is still unfolding, meaning He's not done. What we see in the energy of time and space is probably only an instant to God.

Sure, but that's assuming there is such a thing as pure and impure heart. I suppose you mean that in a supernatural sense. In which case I can't really know whether or not it's true.

Oh yeah, there is a such thing. Pure/impure of heart is just a spiritual terminology used to articulate certain personality differences. Fundamentally all things are built upon faith. The pure of heart are therefore trusting and they will project that trust. The impure of heart are not trusting and they will project distrust. This of course is a dichotomy with varying degrees of trust/distrust.

I don't get what you're saying here. If my son has been shoplifting candy, I will WANT to believe him when he says he hasn't. But the chocolate spots around his mouth may still make me conclude that he's not trustworthy.
Let's keep in mind that we're talking about trusting someone who it is claimed died on a cross to save everyone, and whether this person is trustworthy.

The wanting to believe I am talking about would therefore only apply to that which has some level of uncertainty. Your example of wanting to believe in your son is not applicable since you begin by already stating "my son has been shoplifting candy" which is therefore already for certain.

So let's use your example without the foregone conclusion that he is shoplifting, and say he might have shoplifted candy but we don't know. Let's begin by understanding that Faith can only apply to something good, something hoped for, which is why you would want to believe your son is not shoplifting. But if things were not built on faith, then your son would be presumed guilty and have to prove his innocence. As you probably know the burden is on the accuser to prove a negative, rather than the accused be required to disprove slander. But if people had to disprove slander for others not to believe it, then people who could not prove their innocence would be punished as guilty all for the sake of an unproved accusation. That is unfaith, distrust from an impure heart. That is the power of darkness which leads to insanity, and that is why a sound reasoning is built on faith.

So if you want to believe that he died to save the world, you have a pure heart. But if you would prefer to believe something negative about him, then you are under the power of darkness.

This light you're talking about, is it something supernatural? If so, again I'm just not convinced that there is such a thing. But maybe you're talking about the feeling of hope or sort of warm feeling I can get when I imagine something good, and then the empty feeling when you snap out of it.
No it's not supernatural, and yes I am talking about the feeling of hope.

I don't understand. People can give their life for whatever reason, people can be insane or indoctrinated and think they have to sacrifice themselves to save humanity.

Yes, but this man was foretold of as the sacrificial lamb of God who must be sacrificed by those in charge of the temple in Jerusalem and for the New Testament to come. It's not like I am just accepting a belief uncritically.

He may have believed that with all his heart, and it may be true. But whatever reason he had to believe it, I don't.
As I said, it's about what you want to believe that shows one's faith. Scripture says that only God can bring a person to Christ and I believe that too. He has His reasons for everything. I'm just explaining what and why I believe. Scripture says that someday every knee shall bow and so I am only doing my small part concerning the Gospel.

And still, one can find perfect peace, contentment, love, joy, freedom and hope, even without believing there is a God or that the universe has any inherent purpose. When I was a Christian I assumed that anyone talking like that must be deluded, or not really having experienced the love of God like I had. But from my standpoint now, it just shows that all these things are very much in our heads, and I think that's awesome in every sense of the word.
Hmmm. You should realize by now that I believe that God is Love/empathy. So imagine how it sounds to me when you say you can find perfect peace, contentment, love, joy, freedom, and hope without believing there is a God who created the universe with a purpose. We all live for empathy/God Whom without, there can be no joy, freedom, peace, contentment or hope. Love defines all of the emotions those terms express just as Light disperses into many colors.

And you're right, it's not hard to see the dog eat dog world, all the suffering. I mean, even if you exclude humans, nature is so extremely brutal that I can't imagine why a God would make it so if he was concerned with minimizing suffering. No sentient being escapes suffering, and they suffer seemingly at random. There's no telling why a particular dog should be infested with parasites, or indeed why parasites should exist at all.

The more I look at nature, the less reasonable an omnipotent and caring god seems to me. Natural selection, the randomness of the universe and theory of evolution offers a much more likely explanation. Even things like religiosity appears to be adequately explained by evolution.

What happened to "This is a view that allows for an ultimately good and all-powerful God while still having suffering in the world, I grant you that."...?

There's a big difference between God and religiosity, just as there is a difference between religion and empathy. And actually, the universe is not random. Processes become more predictable.

But you also said you don't see how God could've done it differently than by allowing evil and suffering.
Yes but that is to show the course of unfaith. Truth does not need a lie to exist anymore than faith needs unfaith. The eternal is not dependent upon the temporal but the temporal is dependent upon the eternal.

I'm sorry, I don't see how the fact that truth precedes falsehood means that God must be good. Why couldn't God be evil.

Because God made all things He defines what is truth, and truth is not what is evil. A lie is evil. Truth is a positive and the lie is a negative.

Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Short proof: God sees you exactly as you are and nothing else does and you have an exact measured existence.

That's not a proof, though. It's a declaration, and it looks pretty baseless to me.

• Agree
Reactions: dlamberth
Upvote 0
Sep 18, 2016
United States
✟20,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Is there proof God exist?
God is reality itself, so in order to obtain proof you need to surrender your own perceptions, opinions everything in exchange for what there already is and always was.

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟454,517.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A lot of people have proof of God for themselves, believe me, people have found God... the way to find him is 'searching for him all over like looking for something in the dark' 'but actually he is not too far away from us'.

Upvote 0

AskTheFamily

Mar 14, 2010
Ottawa
✟14,900.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
That's not a proof, though. It's a declaration, and it looks pretty baseless to me.
That's sad. I am sorry.

Proofs are series of premises that lead to a conclusion but no one talks that way in real life.

We have an exact measurement. (1)
That exact measurement as far as who we are, is related to perception and perception and the "who" is linked. (2)
Something sees us exactly as we are and we aren't perfect judges and perceivers of who we are. (3)
That something has to be God because only an absolute loving perfect perceiver can defined our true value as is to the minute detail and accounting. (4).

Another way to say the above is to say "What is he who upholds every soul by what it has earned and they associate with Him", meaning it proves his oneness as nothing else is fit to see souls in the exact form because it requires absolute judgment and perception.

That proves God and we are moving to a very boring way to talk if we are going to only prove things through formal logic.

Reactions: Teamo
Upvote 0

Eyes wide Open

Love and peace is the ONLY foundation-to build....
Dec 13, 2011
Australia
✟34,910.00
Faith
That's sad. I am sorry.

Proofs are series of premises that lead to a conclusion but no one talks that way in real life.

That exact measurement as far as who we are, is related to perception and perception and the "who" is linked. (2)
Something sees us exactly as we are and we aren't perfect judges and perceivers of who we are. (3)
That something has to be God because only an absolute loving perfect perceiver can defined our true value as is to the minute detail and accounting. (4).

Another way to say the above is to say "What is he who upholds every soul by what it has earned and they associate with Him", meaning it proves his oneness as nothing else is fit to see souls in the exact form because it requires absolute judgment and perception.

That proves God and we are moving to a very boring way to talk if we are going to only prove things through formal logic.

What you are talking about is proof for ‘you’ subjectively, but objectively what you say (as Zoness said prior) is baseless. This is why faith is always the vital cog in the wheel of theism.

I sympathise with what you say about boring language. I write poetry, for myself to express myself, and my experience, and often share my poems with others who enjoy them too, or not lol. They are subjective, they are my experience, which may be of similar experience to others, and it may not.
My point is, we need a framework to move forward as a species , and the boring logical (and yes secular) approach is the only one to lead us objectively, but subjectively you can paint whatever picture you wish, and if others find it baseless, you just have to take it on the chin. The world religions have had their time, they’ve become lost in the mire, a new framework will unfold.

Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
That's sad. I am sorry.

Don't be sorry, life is wonderful.

The premises you've offered here are subjective and unfounded, though. Picking on one (of several) examples, there is no evidence to support the idea that a soul exists or lives on beyond death.

Furthermore even if the unsubstantiated premises did prove a god, it does not definitively prove a specific god. Deism or Pantheism would probably be a more reasonable outcome than a god as described by the major revealed religions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JohnB445

Aug 24, 2018
Illinois
✟176,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The book of Daniel, and Revelation is proof of God's existence. The Bible is proof.

How can a man that lived 605 BC prophesied the rise and fall of kingdoms, and divided nations with accuracy? How can a man who lived 2000 years ago prophesied about a Jews returning to Isreal after a catastrophe, and building a third temple??

We have 5 conclusions:

1. Divinely inspired by some deity, or by God himself.
2. Time travelers
3. Extremely intellectual wise men with good prediction.
4. They rigged the whole thing.
5. All happened by chance.

I'm going to go with conclusion 1, that its God's word.

As for Jesus, this event has caused an immediate growth of Christianity Right after many seen the physical resurrection with their own very eyes! It has been a historical event, that is well documented.

There are 6 conclusions.

1. This was God in the Flesh conquering sin and death.
2. These men were hallucinating
3. it was an alien spaceship that did this or it was an alien.
4. They rigged it
5. Happened by chance by the Earths gravitational force caused his body to leave the Earth.
6. It never happened and people like to make up stories, any historical evidence is rigged.

I'm going to go with conclusion 1 again. By the way this is eternal life we're talking about, and an ability to repent and be a new creation. I got nothing to lose, and hey I've been able to mysteriously turn away from sin and experience the supernatural. Unless one wants to say I somehow unlocked a physiological code to cause all these effects and feelings that I can't explain.

Upvote 0

ThievingMagpie

Jun 5, 2018
London
✟64,205.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
The book of Daniel, and Revelation is proof of God's existence. The Bible is proof.

How can a man that lived 605 BC prophesied the rise and fall of kingdoms, and divided nations with accuracy? How can a man who lived 2000 years ago prophesied about a Jews returning to Isreal after a catastrophe, and building a third temple??

We have 5 conclusions:

1. Divinely inspired by some deity, or by God himself.
2. Time travelers
3. Extremely intellectual wise men with good prediction.
4. They rigged the whole thing.
5. All happened by chance.

I'm going to go with conclusion 1, that its God's word.

As for Jesus, this event has caused an immediate growth of Christianity Right after many seen the physical resurrection with their own very eyes! It has been a historical event, that is well documented.

There are 6 conclusions.

1. This was God in the Flesh conquering sin and death.
2. These men were hallucinating
3. it was an alien spaceship that did this or it was an alien.
4. They rigged it
5. Happened by chance by the Earths gravitational force caused his body to leave the Earth.
6. It never happened and people like to make up stories, any historical evidence is rigged.

I'm going to go with conclusion 1 again. By the way this is eternal life we're talking about, and an ability to repent and be a new creation. I got nothing to lose, and hey I've been able to mysteriously turn away from sin and experience the supernatural. Unless one wants to say I somehow unlocked a physiological code to cause all these effects and feelings that I can't explain.

Why wouldn't you go with 4? It's a lot more plausible and also the most parsimonious - we have plenty of evidence of human beings forging testimony or rewriting history to push a particular agenda.

Upvote 0

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
yes, certainly a wonderful way to live believing everyone has an agenda and is out to fool others

for me "April fools" is just one day a year

That's clearly not what ThievingMagpie is suggesting at all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ThievingMagpie

Jun 5, 2018
London
✟64,205.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
yes, certainly a wonderful way to live believing everyone has an agenda and is out to fool others

for me "April fools" is just one day a year

But clearly you'd treat 99% of other faith claims or religious "proofs" with that degree of skepticism. I'm not trying to be facetious it's just you cite prophecies as a proof but then when we go into why they should be considered a proof it's because you prefer to believe that they are, which suggests it's less about proof and more about the way it makes you feel.

For the record I don't think this is a bad thing: my wife is Christian and she'd be the first to admit that she thinks Christianity is real because she feels it to be so.

Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
which suggests it's less about proof and more about the way it makes you feel.

feelings aren't reliable and one can feel one way one moment and another way another moment

being a Christian doesn't make me feel a certain way
belief in God is not about feelings

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟732,615.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
feelings aren't reliable and one can feel one way one moment and another way another moment

being a Christian doesn't make me feel a certain way
belief in God is not about feelings
With out feeling the presence of God, this whole God thing would become meaningless to me.

Upvote 0

JohnB445

Aug 24, 2018
Illinois
✟176,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You will feel God's spirit enter your soul once you believe what Jesus did for you.

I can't guarantee it will happen with everyone. But God revealed the Holy Spirit to me when I came to him. And no it was not a mere emotional response.

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Is there proof God exist?

I believe that near death experience accounts fit amazingly well with String Theory.

Higher and higher invisible dimensions of space and time that operate at greater and greater levels of energy are what Dr. George Ritchie was shown back in 1943 long before we knew anything about String Theory.

Dr. George Ritchie's Near-Death Experience

e. His Observations of the Temple of Wisdom

The following is the testimony of George Ritchie's Temple of Wisdom and Heavenly City Experience: They then travel to a completely different realm where some kind of enormous university is located. Spirits dressed as monks busily and happily engaged in some form of artistic behavior or research. An enormous library exists here where all the important books of the universe are assembled. Ritchie asks Jesus if this is heaven. These are the spirits of people who grew beyond selfish desires while on Earth; but, like the spirits in hell, these spirits cannot see Jesus either.

Return to Top Book of Revelation (see also Revelation 21:10-27.) This is the place where people go who have become like Jesus while on Earth - a place where love is the dominant focus of life. This is heaven he realizes; but he is not allowed to enter it. Instead, Jesus shows him the future of Earth and is told to return to his physical body. At this point, Ritchie is revived from death.

Upvote 0