Private
✟69,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You didn't answer the question. Let's have a straight answer. In the case of the wife who found out she was pregnant, was the act objectively bad?
You didn't give the complete case. Get back to me when you do.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟254,856.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Technically raped? Either she was raped or she was not; which is it?

Tell us all we need to know to judge the morality of this human act. For instance, did she have a sign on her unconscious body that read, "No sex tonight, dear. Thank you." When you've thought your "good" rape case through completely and disclose all the circumstances one needs to know to judge the morality of the act then we can move forward.

He had sex without her consent. That's rape, which is the only fact you need. Was it objectively bad? It can't be difficult to answer.

As someone posted: The answer is binary; its "Yes" or "No".

Upvote 0

VirOptimus

A nihilist who cares.
Aug 24, 2005
✟250,687.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

o_mlly

May 20, 2021
Private
✟69,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
He had sex without her consent. That's rape, which is the only fact you need. Was it objectively bad? I mean, the answer is either yes or no. It can't be difficult.
If she was raped then the act was objectively bad. Next?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟254,856.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If she was raped then the act was objectively bad. Next?

So you say that an act which both participants was glad happened, was done in a loving way and which produced a result that both were extremely happy about and had no negative implications was...objectively bad. I have to say that this is a meaning of the term that most of us haven't come across before.

And if you are using such terms to describe situations like that, then it's patently obvious that your views on this matter are so far removed from what most people would consider reasonable, then your arguments, based on that, can also now be defined as unreasonable.

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Proud Citizen of Moralton
Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
But given a belief, it is not so easy to turn into a fact in every case. Given certain beliefs about food tastes or musical tastes, I don't think any such objective facts exist. The question on the table is about moral beliefs. Can they be transmogrified into objective facts? I don't see how.
I think it's weird to call our subjective statements "beliefs", honestly. We both find Brussel sprouts to be nasty, yes? But would you say that you believe "nastiness" is a property of Brussel sprouts? I wouldn't. When I say that "Brussel sprouts taste nasty" all I'm doing is describing my personal experience of them.

In terms of morality, I don't hold a belief about some quality of "wrongness" that an act has. I hate some acts, and I love some acts.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟254,856.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
And what about Fred and Wendy? Was raping Wendy only bad if Fred thought that it was, you know only subjectively bad?

You've given your answer on the matter. Albeit a completely unreasonable one. But we now know your position. Everything that you say is bad must be bad because you say it is bad. Even if the people directly involved would say otherwise. What else is there to discuss?

Upvote 0