Is there anything wrong with skinny dipping on your own?

Is there anything wrong with skinny dipping on your own?

• Yes; skinny dipping is fine, even if people are around

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Yes; skinny dipping is fine, as long as you're with people of the same gender

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Yes, but only if you're alone

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • No; even alone, it's not a good idea

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • I don't know, ask someone else

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,186.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Swimming alone is against the Boy Scout Code of Safety. You would not get your merit badge if you suggested swimming alone was OK.

Buddy System Minute

That was actually my first thought about the topic. My second thought was what would the media say when they found the drowned body nude.

When I was a kid, boys who couldn't afford swimming trunks swam at the YMCA in the nude.

All my life in the military, men showered in communal showers in the nude.

If my 40-year-old son and I went to a gym or a pool, we'd see each other nude in the shower.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Jeff, evidently you know nothing about sound hermaneutics.
It is best to learn what Jesus and The Almighty Father, ABBA YAHWEH, says about that.
Same with everything.

It does not work out good for the educated ones, not usually.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
'you', not 'others'/'them'

Study Bible

Food Sacrificed to Idols
…12By sinning against your brothers in this way and wounding their weak conscience, you sin against Christ. 13Therefore, if what I eat causes my brother to stumble, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause him to stumble.
Berean Study Bible · Download

Once again, where do we draw the line?

So, it is wrong to swim nude around others because that could cause another to sin (lust). Is it wrong to own a nice home or drive a nice car because that could cause others to be envious? Is it wrong to state you views on a given topic because it could cause others to become angry? Is is wrong to consume good food because that could cause others to overeat (gluttony).

There is much that we all do that could cause others to sin.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist

Follow Jesus. He never told the disciples to draw the line. He always says obey the Father, DO as HE says. Which is also 'DO what is right',
and even a child can know, while adults stumble over the truth.

Upvote 0

MyChainsAreGone

Image Bearer
Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
✟36,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

So, it is wrong to swim nude around others because that could cause another to sin (lust). Is it wrong to own a nice home or drive a nice car because that could cause others to be envious? Is it wrong to state you views on a given topic because it could cause others to become angry? Is is wrong to consume good food because that could cause others to overeat (gluttony).

There is much that we all do that could cause others to sin.
Archivist, I agree with you.

However, I would offer a clarification...

When someone sees our home or car and covets them, we have not "caused" them to sin. Mark 7:14-23 make it clear that any sinful response they have to what they see is simply a revealing of the impurity that is already in them.

If my actions, appearance, or possessions trigger a sinful response in another person, a "trigger" is different than a "cause."

Being a trigger is NOT the same as "causing to stumble" ... else we would have to hold Jesus responsible for triggering/causing the Pharisees' murderous hatred towards Himself (He didn't have to heal on a Sabbath, you know...).

I know that we are in agreement... I'm just suggesting a clearer nomenclature.

Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Archivist, I agree with you.

However, I would offer a clarification...

When someone sees our home or car and covets them, we have not "caused" them to sin. Mark 7:14-23 make it clear that any sinful response they have to what they see is simply a revealing of the impurity that is already in them.

If my actions, appearance, or possessions trigger a sinful response in another person, a "trigger" is different than a "cause."

Being a trigger is NOT the same as "causing to stumble" ... else we would have to hold Jesus responsible for triggering/causing the Pharisees' murderous hatred towards Himself (He didn't have to heal on a Sabbath, you know...).

I know that we are in agreement... I'm just suggesting a clearer nomenclature.

I would agree with that. Clarification accepted.

I would note that most people who skinny dip or who visits a nude beach are not trying to cause others to sin. A trigger, perhaps, but not an intentional effort to cause a sinful response..

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Follow Jesus. He never told the disciples to draw the line. He always says obey the Father, DO as HE says. Which is also 'DO what is right',
So is owning a nice house or car not doing what is right if some who look at it may sin? How is that any different than skinny dipping?

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MyChainsAreGone

Image Bearer
Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
✟36,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
OK, Jeff. As you say.

I have obeyed the Father while skinnydipping. In so doing, I have done what is right.

You may be tempted to judge me and my actions, but if you did so, yourself would disobeying the Father and doing what is wrong, for we are Instructed in God's Word:

Rom. 14:5 said:
Each person must be fully convinced in his own mind....

But you, why do you judge your brother? Or you again, why do you regard your brother with contempt? For we will all stand before the judgment seat of God. For it is written, “As I live, says the Lord, every knee shall bow to Me, And every tongue shall give praise to God.”

So then each one of us will give an account of himself to God.

Therefore let us not judge one another anymore,...

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Upvote 0

MyChainsAreGone

Image Bearer
Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
✟36,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I would agree with that. Clarification accepted.

I would note that most people who skinny dip or who visits a nude beach are not trying to cause others to sin. A trigger, perhaps, but not an intentional effort to cause a sinful response..
Right... there is the admonition to "as much as possible, live peaceably with all men." (Rom. 12:18)

I have no interest in acting as a trigger for anyone, but the important point is that I have no moral responsibility before God for any sin that I happen to trigger in anyone else.

Joseph was not responsible for Potiphar's Wife's lust for him. Bathsheba was not responsible for King David's lust after her. Jesus was not responsible for the Pharisees' hatred towards Him. All were triggers... none were sinning.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I have no interest in acting as a trigger for anyone, but the important point is that I have no moral responsibility before God for any sin that I happen to trigger in anyone else.
tch tch....
1 Corinthians 8:9
Be careful, however, that your freedom does not become a stumbling block to the weak.

1 Corinthians 8:11
So this weak brother, for whom Christ died, is destroyed by your knowledge.

1 Corinthians 8:12
By sinning against your brothers in this way and wounding their weak conscience, you sin against Christ.

New International Version
Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All food is clean, but it is wrong for a person to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble.

New Living Translation
Don't tear apart the work of God over what you eat. Remember, all foods are acceptable, but it is wrong to eat something if it makes another person stumble.

English Standard Version
Do not, for the sake of food, destroy the work of God. Everything is indeed clean, but it is wrong for anyone to make another stumble by what he eats.

Romans 14:20 Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All food is clean, but it is wrong for a man to let his eating be a stumbling block.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MyChainsAreGone

Image Bearer
Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
✟36,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
tch tch....
1 Corinthians 8:9
Be careful, however, that your freedom does not become a stumbling block to the weak.

1 Corinthians 8:11
So this weak brother, for whom Christ died, is destroyed by your knowledge.

1 Corinthians 8:12
By sinning against your brothers in this way and wounding their weak conscience, you sin against Christ.

New International Version
Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All food is clean, but it is wrong for a person to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble.

New Living Translation
Don't tear apart the work of God over what you eat. Remember, all foods are acceptable, but it is wrong to eat something if it makes another person stumble.

English Standard Version
Do not, for the sake of food, destroy the work of God. Everything is indeed clean, but it is wrong for anyone to make another stumble by what he eats.

Romans 14:20 Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All food is clean, but it is wrong for a man to let his eating be a stumbling block.
Jeff,
  • What is Paul's definition of "Weak" in Romans 14 and 1 Cor. 8?
  • What is Paul's definition of "Stumble" in Rom. 14 and 1 Cor. 8?

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I presume this was a reply to my post 55. So, you don't live in a nice house or drive a nice car. Do you eat good food? Do you ever say anything that could cause another to become angry?

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
This would be easier if you would quote my posts so I would know what you are replying to.

The scripture you are quoting is about righteous anger. That is not what I'm talking about. And you didn't answer my question about food.

Upvote 0