Is there anything wrong with skinny dipping on your own?

Is there anything wrong with skinny dipping on your own?

• Yes; skinny dipping is fine, even if people are around

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Yes; skinny dipping is fine, as long as you're with people of the same gender

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Yes, but only if you're alone

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • No; even alone, it's not a good idea

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • I don't know, ask someone else

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I've seen a bit of discussion on these forums about skinny dipping with other people around, normally said to be a bad thing, based on the idea of a doorway to sin (although coming online to post that is a much bigger doorway to sin...). However, for purposes of this thread, I want to ask Christians: Is there anything wrong with skinny dipping while alone?

For example, I like to kayak on the river near my house. It's out in the country, and a small river, and I've kayaked it enough to know where I'm in sight from a road or someone's house. One time, I was kayaking on my own, and decided I wanted to swim, but didn't have swim trunks or a change of clothes, and was about half a mile away from where I pull out of the river. So, I pulled over where no one was around, took everything off, and swam around for awhile, enjoying the water & thanking God for the chance to do this.

While I've never regretted this incident, I thought it would be good for discussion: Is there anything bad about swimming without clothes when you're alone?

morse86

Aug 2, 2014
✟60,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A modest respectful person does not do such things as the world does. In your own property is one thing, but on public or non-claimed property, it is not right.

Exodus 28:42:
And thou shalt make them linen breeches to cover their nakedness; from the loins even unto the thighs they shall reach:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JazzHands

Supporter
Nov 28, 2018
Merseyside
✟59,314.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I have to say, I'd come from a completely diametric position.

To suggest that an uncovered body is somehow sinful ought to be an offensive presumption given that God made us in his image.

Clothing is first and foremost, practical. French billboards used to show topless women manhandling bottles of channel No.5 and people barely battered an eyelid - tawdriness lies in the eye of the beholder.

Social mores and manners change over time and it's right to be conscious of others but not to the point of moral hypocrisy.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,033.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
It's best alone because if your body is anything like mine you wouldn't to shock anyone and give them a heart attack!!

Upvote 0

JazzHands

Supporter
Nov 28, 2018
Merseyside
✟59,314.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It's best alone because if your body is anything like mine you wouldn't to shock anyone and give them a heart attack!!
Nawww Oscarr, no need for modesty.. we come in all shapes and sizes and I'm sure God would have it no other way! :D

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've seen a bit of discussion on these forums about skinny dipping with other people around, normally said to be a bad thing, based on the idea of a doorway to sin (although coming online to post that is a much bigger doorway to sin...). However, for purposes of this thread, I want to ask Christians: Is there anything wrong with skinny dipping while alone?

For example, I like to kayak on the river near my house. It's out in the country, and a small river, and I've kayaked it enough to know where I'm in sight from a road or someone's house. One time, I was kayaking on my own, and decided I wanted to swim, but didn't have swim trunks or a change of clothes, and was about half a mile away from where I pull out of the river. So, I pulled over where no one was around, took everything off, and swam around for awhile, enjoying the water & thanking God for the chance to do this.

While I've never regretted this incident, I thought it would be good for discussion: Is there anything bad about swimming without clothes when you're alone?

Swimming alone is against the Boy Scout Code of Safety. You would not get your merit badge if you suggested swimming alone was OK.

http://www.boyscouttrail.com/content/minute/buddy_system-1509.asp

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,033.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Nawww Oscarr, no need for modesty.. we come in all shapes and sizes and I'm sure God would have it no other way! :D
When I step out of the shower and see myself in my full length mirror I just know that God has a sense of humour!!

Upvote 0

JazzHands

Supporter
Nov 28, 2018
Merseyside
✟59,314.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
When I step out of the shower and see myself in my full length mirror I just know that God has a sense of humour!!
lol.... If you stay young at heart, you'll be an Adonis in the chapter 2! Mark my words! :p

Upvote 0

dhh712

Mrs. Calvinist Dark Lord
Jul 16, 2013
Gettysburg
✟34,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

No. You take showers without your clothes on, right? The only possibility where things can go wrong is if you think you're alone but you run into someone unexpectedly.

In a general sense though I don't see anything wrong with swimming in a river or lake without your clothes on as long as you're by yourself or with your married partner. I wouldn't have a conviction about it.

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,067.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Its so much nicer to swing without a suit. So enjoy away. Remember in NT times there were public baths and Paul never said it was a sin to go to them. While most cities had different times for women and men to attend the public baths it was a place that people got naked. Also remember that Paul used the Olympic games as a positive example and quite a few of the events the participants were naked.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MyChainsAreGone

Image Bearer
Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
✟36,686.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
A modest respectful person does not do such things as the world does. In your own property is one thing, but on public or non-claimed property, it is not right.

Exodus 28:42:
And thou shalt make them linen breeches to cover their nakedness; from the loins even unto the thighs they shall reach:
I'm curious... how does the passage you quoted (written only for Aaronic Levites... to be followed only when serving at the altar in the Temple) support your assertion that one cannot swim without clothing?

Upvote 0

Tharseo

Jan 5, 2019
Hong Kong
✟17,155.00
Country
China
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
IMO it is not a matter of "can" or "cannot", it is a matter of "good" or "not good".

1 Corinthians 10:23: ""All things are lawful," but not all things are helpful. "All things are lawful," but not all things build up."

I don't think there is a definite answer to this question, but depending on the situation, consider whether such act is good and helpful (to yourself and/or others). If not/in doubt, don't do it.

Upvote 0