Northern Nevada
✟25,434.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Fair enough -- but if you insist on contexts where murder, rape, and/or stealing are good things (as you did back in post #1860), then all I have to do is direct you to the Bible when such actions were commanded, condoned, or committed by God, and and then sit back and watch the fun.
Yeah, you're clearly in another conversation.
The OP asked some pretty simple questions.
I answered the first, and then to obtain a clearer picture of what he was asking, I asked him a series of questions.

You apparently decided, unilaterally, that I'm not allowed to learn what others think. So, now you're just being rude, about something that had absolutely nothing to do with my questions to the OP.

I am quite aware of the reasons -- I simply do not believe them.
Obviously.
Otherwise you would have understood that my questions were not directed to you.
So, let's do it this way....

I had absolutely no idea you existed until you posted your comment. So there's no way I could have known anything you would think.
Which, in my world isn't a problem. In yours however, it's apparently a humongous problem.

Do yourself a favor @TLK Valentine, stop acting like you own the right to force others to fit in your own mind.

We don't, and quite frankly, have no interest whatsoever in fitting into your mind. From what little I've seen thus far, it's too crowded in there.

Now, if you're actually interested in having a conversation that you are not in control of, by all means please continue. But if you actually think you have a right to control what others think and say, please be an adult and step off.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟256,205.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
This is an act ^

This is also an act ^

The act itself is immoral ^

I agree. The second act was qualified. We added more information. We can therefore determine the morality of the act. We couldn't in the first case - it might have been self defence or murder.

Upvote 0

ISteveB

Sep 17, 2020
Northern Nevada
✟25,434.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Do you think all that's verbatim?
I still have no idea what your problem with God the Father is, except that you said he's reported to have said something you have a problem with.

So, let's focus on dealing with your issues about this.

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Proud Citizen of Moralton
Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I agree. The second act was qualified. We added more information. We can therefore determine the morality of the act. We couldn't in the first case - it might have been self defence or murder.
So a sufficiently defined act can, in itself, be immoral.

Upvote 0

Chriliman

Everything I need to be joyful is right here
May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What impact does my liking or disliking a thing have on that thing?

If I like something, that will cause me to seek it.
If I dislike something, that will cause me to avoid it.

Whether I like something or not doesn't tell you a single fact about the thing itself.

If murder is wrong, but it can be liked or disliked, then whether it is liked or not is irrelevant to whether or not it is wrong.

True, and the reason murder is wrong is because it causes the victim to have an intrinsically bad(opposite of enjoyment) experience and since the victim exists objectively, it’s objectively bad.

Same can be said for why it’s objectively wrong or bad for your wife to eat chocolate ice cream.

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
True, and the reason murder is wrong is because it causes the victim to have an intrinsically bad(opposite of enjoyment) experience and since the victim exists objectively, it’s objectively bad.
No experiences are intrinsically good or bad. Maybe we like them, maybe we don't.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟256,205.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
So a sufficiently defined act can, in itself, be immoral.

The 'in itself' is superfluous. I've used that term to describe an act that is not sufficiently defined. But if we remove that term to avoid confusion, then yes, I have no problem with that. If we have all the information needed then we can make a determination as to the morality of an act. Whether we agree or not is obviously a different matter.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟256,205.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I still have no idea what your problem with God the Father is, except that you said he's reported to have said something you have a problem with.

So, let's focus on dealing with your issues about this.

Yeah, I'm not much of an Old Testament guy myself. But I've taken the thread slightly off topic (although quite a few people will claim an act such as lying is contrary to God's wishes and is therefore always wrong).

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
We like an experience because it’s enjoyable and that’s a fact.
We like an experience if we enjoy an experience. Do you see the difference between those two statements in light of my posts in the other thread?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
The 'in itself' is superfluous. I've used that term to describe an act that is not sufficiently defined. But if we remove that term to avoid confusion, then yes, I have no problem with that. If we have all the information needed then we can make a determination as to the morality of an act. Whether we agree or not is obviously a different matter.
Is it possible for one of us to be correct? If we have all of the information about an act.

Upvote 0

ISteveB

Sep 17, 2020
Northern Nevada
✟25,434.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, I'm not much of an Old Testament guy myself. But I've taken the thread slightly off topic (although quite a few people will claim an act such as lying is contrary to God's wishes and is therefore always wrong).
Ok.

So let's focus on what you think the "reported to have said" problem is.

I've been reading the entire bible for a long time.

My recent experience is reading each book 6 times.
I'm on Numbers right now.

So I've read Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus 6 times in a row. I'm finishing up my 4th time through Numbers.

I've read the whole bible several times before, so I'm going to say let's work through it.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟256,205.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Is it possible for one of us to be correct? If we have all of the information about an act.

If we disagree then I will think that I'm the one that's right. I'm hardly going to say 'this is what I believe but I'm actually wrong'. That said, you might have an argument that will cause me to drop my position and support yours.

Are we both then right? Are we more right if everyone believes exactly as we do? That's a dangerous road to take.

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
If we disagree then I will think that I'm the one that's right. I'm hardly going to say 'this is what I believe but I'm actually wrong'. That said, you might have an argument that will cause me to drop my position and support yours.

Are we both then right? Are we more right if everyone believes exactly as we do? That's a dangerous road to take.
Assuming we have all of the information.

It is not possible for both of us to be correct.

It is possible for both of us to be incorrect.

Is it possible for one of us to be correct and the other to be incorrect?

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟256,205.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Ok.

So I've read Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus 6 times in a row. I'm finishing up my 4th time through Numbers.

I've read the whole bible several times before, so I'm going to say let's work through it.

We're heading off topic, but if the op doesn't mind...

I say 'reported to have said' just for accuracy. I might say 'As Plato once said' but what I actually mean is 'As Plato is reported to have once said'. We don't know for sure if he actually existed. But some of what he is reported to have said makes sense, so whether he did or didn't exist doesn't really matter. We can still take it on board just as we would if a fictional character in a book says something we think is profound.

As an atheist, I don't believe that Jesus was the son of God. But what he is reported to have said (assuming he existed) is still worth listening to. And I use 'reported to have said' in the same way I would with Plato. Note that the chunk of text above you quoted Jesus as saying was written decades after He died. But some people take everything he said as verbatim. Whereas I take it as the gist of what someone thought he might have said.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Chriliman

Everything I need to be joyful is right here
May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We like an experience if we enjoy an experience. Do you see the difference between those two statements in light of my posts in the other thread?

I think it can be simplified to either “I like an experience” or “I enjoy an experience” they essentially have the same meaning. My question to you is do you think your enjoyment of an experience is intrinsic to you? Meaning if you take away you or the experience, then your enjoyment of that experience is impossible.

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I think it can be simplified to either “I like an experience” or “I enjoy an experience” they essentially have the same meaning.
Sure, I agree.
My question to you is do you think your enjoyment of an experience is intrinsic to you? Meaning if you take away you or the experience, then your enjoyment of that experience is impossible.
Huh?

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟256,205.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Ok.

And your comment reminded me of a great scene from the West Wing about reading the bible. About 1:35 if you want to skip to it. Very well written and acted.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟256,205.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Assuming we have all of the information.

It is not possible for both of us to be correct.

It is possible for both of us to be incorrect.

Is it possible for one of us to be correct and the other to be incorrect?

You're assuming that there is a correct answer. Hiroshima was mentioned upstream. There's no right answer for that unless you believe in an absolute morality. So killing innocent people is wrong. Period. There's no option to even qualify it. No discussion re overall lives saved will be entered into. If it's just one innocent life to save millions, it's always wrong.

That's a black and white view of the world. Black hats over there. White ones over here. This side of the line in the sand. Life is a little messier than that.

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
You're assuming that there is a correct answer. Hiroshima was mentioned upstream. There's no right answer for that unless you believe in an absolute morality. So killing innocent people is wrong. Period. There's no option to even qualify it. No discussion re overall lives saved will be entered into. If it's just one innocent life to save millions, it's always wrong.

That's a black and white view of the world. Black hats over there. White ones over here. This side of the line in the sand. Life is a little messier than that.
No, that isn't absolute morality. Morality would still be relative to circumstances.

In a hypothetical scenario, where we know all of the circumstances, is it possible to make a correct determination?

Upvote 0