• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.
  7. There has been an addition to the announcement regarding unacceptable nick names. The phrase "Let's go Brandon" actually stands for a profanity and will be seen as a violation of the profanity rule in the future.

Is there an absolute morality?

Discussion in 'Ethics & Morality' started by Bradskii, Oct 23, 2021.

1. Bradskii

Bradskii Well-Known Member

+2,615
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    Are acts wrong in themselves? Or does it depend on the context?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Mclachlan

Mclachlan Member

+158
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    Is it wrong to rape and murder a child?
    It is a universally accepted truth that doing such an act is wrong.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
  3. Mclachlan

Mclachlan Member

+158
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    Therefore, absolute morality exists.

4. Bradskii

+2,615
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    If I may take one of those acts - murder. It is very specifically defined. That is, taking another life is wrong only under certain conditions. It's relative by definition.

5. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints! Supporter

+5,705
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    Some acts, like sexual assault, are always wrong.
    Others, like lying, stealing & killing, can be context-specific, but are generally wrong.

Right vs. wrong is not the basis for entry into Heaven, though.
    Washed vs. unwashed is.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Larnievc

Larnievc Well-Known Member

+4,236
    Atheist
    Married
    UK-Labour
    God murdered children when he order a few genocides and dashed skulks and great floods etc.

7. Bradskii

+2,615
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    How would you define sexual assault?

8. disciple Clint

disciple Clint Well-Known Member

+3,618
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Who provided those people with life?

9. Larnievc

+4,236
    Atheist
    Married
    UK-Labour
    Irrelevant. My wife and I provided my son with life. I don’t get kill him and claim an objective moral right by doing so.

10. Mclachlan

Mclachlan Member

+158
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    What about if we used the other example, rape. A predator sexually penetrating an innocent and helpless child. Is that wrong? Or does it depend? @Larnievc I'd like to hear what you have to say on this too.

11. Larnievc

+4,236
    Atheist
    Married
    UK-Labour
    I’d say so. But we all know that there are people in the world who disagree.

12. Mclachlan

Mclachlan Member

+158
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    Why is it wrong? Is it your opinion?

13. disciple Clint

disciple Clint Well-Known Member

+3,618
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    you have the power to provide life?

14. o_mlly

o_mlly Active Member

+72
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    For an atheist, the above is cognitively dissonant.
    Good. That's cognitively harmonic.
    Did you know that we really haven't landed on the moon?

15. Tom 1

Tom 1 Optimistic sceptic Supporter

+11,556
    Romania
    Christian
    Married
    The most useful definition I've come across is that good acts are those that promote life and wellbeing, and bad those that have destructive effects and lead to death. Of course there's variation in what that means in practice. Some things according to this definition are universally bad but may be outweighed in some contexts, e.g. you could say killing someone is the ultimate application of 'bad' but it may be necessary sometimes to kill one person or persons to avoid a higher number of deaths.

Love on the other hand is the ultimate good, as in love as a verb, the behaviours associated with efforts to do what seems best for others to promote their wellbeing and experience of life.

16. Larnievc

+4,236
    Atheist
    Married
    UK-Labour
    Of course. I built up the various molecules in my testicles to provide the sperm that delivered my genetic material to the ova my wife built up in her ovaries.

Did you not know that?

17. honestal

honestal New Member Supporter

+126
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    A little of both.

If you're just walking down the street minding your own business and I come up and kill you, that's wrong. But if you're in the process of shooting at a crowd of people then it's right for me to come up and kill you.

On the other hand, I can't see how it would ever be right for anyone to have sex with a three year old.

18. VirOptimus

VirOptimus A nihilist who cares.

+4,360
    Atheist
    Married
    Its all in the eye of the beholder.

19. Mark Quayle

Mark Quayle Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,117
    United States
    Reformed
    Widowed
    God is not us. Wrong is crime against God. He doesn't operate against himself.

20. Mark Quayle

Mark Quayle Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,117
    United States
    Reformed
    Widowed
    I can specifically define 'taking another life', too. Shooting a gun, or making a stabbing motion into with a knife is only wrong under certain conditions, too. Picking up a gun or knife is only wrong under certain conditions.

Murder is always wrong. Killing is not always wrong.