May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I actually wrote 'based on personal preferences' and then changed it to 'personal decisions'. It sounded a bit more thoughtful than what could be claimed is a mere preference. But truth be told, they are mostly interchangeable.
Well, that's where the confusion comes in. Sometimes, we're judging evidence for a thing, and whatever we determine might be a fact. For instance, when we're trying to determine who committed a murder. I might say something like, "In my opinion, Jeff is the murderer" and you might say something like, "In my opinion, Sheila is the murderer." One of us might be correct, in that situation. Hypothetically, if we had knowledge of all the facts, we would know if our statement is correct.

Morality isn't like that. We can't determine a true statement about how one ought to behave because there isn't one. Morality requires us to insert our personal preferences or we won't make a judgement at all.

There aren't any special preferences. No preference is "better" or "more accurate" or "more true" than any other preference. We can distinguish between who a preference belongs to, but all preferences are equal. There's no such thing as a "mere preference" because there's no such thing as a "significant" preference.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟259,408.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Well, that's where the confusion comes in. Sometimes, we're judging evidence for a thing, and whatever we determine might be a fact. For instance, when we're trying to determine who committed a murder. I might say something like, "In my opinion, Jeff is the murderer" and you might say something like, "In my opinion, Sheila is the murderer." One of us might be correct, in that situation. Hypothetically, if we had knowledge of all the facts, we would know if our statement is correct.

Morality isn't like that. We can't determine a true statement about how one ought to behave because there isn't one. Morality requires us to insert our personal preferences or we won't make a judgement at all.

There aren't any special preferences. No preference is "better" or "more accurate" or "more true" than any other preference. We can distinguish between who a preference belongs to, but all preferences are equal. There's no such thing as a "mere preference" because there's no such thing as a "significant" preference.

I skipped using preference because as sure as God made little green apples, someone would come along with a comment such as 'oh, so it's just a preference that you have that children shouldn't be murdered. Like you prefer it if the icecream was chocolate instead of vanilla'.

There's certainly plenty of that in these type of discussions.

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Proud Citizen of Moralton
Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I skipped using preference because as sure as God made little green apples, someone would come along with a comment such as 'oh, so it's just a preference that you have that children shouldn't be murdered. Like you prefer it if the icecream was chocolate instead of vanilla'.

There's certainly plenty of that in these type of discussions.
So what if they do? It isn't as though they wouldn't prefer children weren't murdered just like us. It isn't satisfying to admit that, although we feel much more strongly about child murder than we do about chocolate ice cream, we haven't in any way changed how we're using the word "prefer".

Upvote 0

o_mlly

May 20, 2021
Private
✟72,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I shot a man in Reno: We don't know if that's immoral or not. The act in itself cannot be described as such.
An innocent man was shot to death.

The morality of that act doesn't matter who (you) , where (Reno) , when or why (just to watch him die). As you have agreed, :clap:the act in itself is wrong.

images.jpg

Is this beautiful infant a male or female? You argue, "Well, because we need another picture, a bit lower if you please, that therefore, there are no male or female infants."

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Indeed, the problem here is that you have apparently ignored the statement Jesus made regarding judging righteous judgment.

Apparently it's a little more obscure than most people think.

Joh 7:24 WEB Don’t judge according to appearance, but judge righteous judgment.”

When I see righteous judgement, I'll judge it.

So far, there's nothing to judge.

Upvote 0

o_mlly

May 20, 2021
Private
✟72,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You'd have to ask the infant. Bwahahaha! Sorry, couldn't resist kicking the hornets nest.
Hornet.jpg
You just got stung. Male or female? Don't know? Well then, we know whatever just stung you wasn't a hornet because they don't exist.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chriliman

Everything I need to be joyful is right here
May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Enjoying things is something that I do. I don't really know how I would ever use "enjoyment" to form a true statement. The same way I can't fathom how to use "good" to make a true statement.

Isn't “It gives me enjoyment” a grammatically correct and true statement?

Here’s another question:
We agree 2+2=5 is wrong(wrong logic), but we don’t agree that genuinely insisting that it’s true is also wrong(wrong logic + wrong behavior). Right?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I'll let you and Moral work out whether he was stung or spiked. Only his hornet knows for sure. Back to the thread.

You said he was stung. I'm working with the available information.

...as we all do when making moral decisions or judgements. We must always be careful when dealing with incomplete information -- there's a temptation to fill in gaps based on a desired result...

For example, who said that man in Reno was innocent?

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Ask Brad. He wrote that it's immoral to kill such a person. Let's hear what he's got to say.

Actually, he said we couldn't tell.
Then you said the man was innocent.

Upvote 0

o_mlly

May 20, 2021
Private
✟72,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Actually, he said we couldn't tell.
Nope. Go back and read his post.

There are three states of knowledge. Either you know the person is innocent (ought not kill), not innocent (maybe moral to use lethal force), or you're ignorant (ought not kill).

Ignorance + Ignorance = Twice as Ignorant

Get it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Nope. Go back and read his post.

You mean this one?

I shot a man in Reno: We don't know if that's immoral or not. The act in itself cannot be described as such.

I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die: The act, now we know the intent, is immoral.

And he's right -- the act alone, devoid of context, cannot be morally judged because we don't have enough information.

Not from you. Because there's a fourth state of knowledge you didn't consider -- error.

Man comes home (in Reno, of course) one night and finds a man in bed with his wife. She screams "Rape!" and the man instinctively pulls out a gun and shoots the would-be rapist.

Except... it's not rape, merely adultery. The wife panicked, you see.

The man's actions -- based on the knowledge he had at the time -- were morally justified. The wife is a different story.

(A true story, btw -- but in Texas, not Reno. The husband wasn't charged with any crime; the wife got 5 years. Woman Who Falsely Cried Rape Convicted of Manslaughter )

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Isn't “It gives me enjoyment” a grammatically correct and true statement?
I am experiencing something when I enjoy something. It doesn't have something that it gives to me that I now have.
Here’s another question:
We agree 2+2=5 is wrong(wrong logic), but we don’t agree that genuinely insisting that it’s true is also wrong(wrong logic + wrong behavior). Right?
Well, certainly 2+2=5 is incorrect. As for the second part, no, that isn't an incorrect choice to behave like that.

Now I have to ask, did you mean to imply that a person who insists 2+2=5 is lying? Because the way you've stated it, they could simply be mistaken.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟259,408.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
An innocent man was shot to death.

The morality of that act doesn't matter who (you) , where (Reno) , when or why (just to watch him die). As you have agreed, the act in itself is wrong.

I shot two men. You need to qualify the act to determine its morality. As has already been asked, what makes you say the first man was innocent?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Chriliman

Everything I need to be joyful is right here
May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am experiencing something when I enjoy something. It doesn't have something that it gives to me that I now have.

Well, certainly 2+2=5 is incorrect. As for the second part, no, that isn't an incorrect choice to behave like that.

Now I have to ask, did you mean to imply that a person who insists 2+2=5 is lying? Because the way you've stated it, they could simply be mistaken.

Regardless if they’re mistaken or lying, why is it correct(isn’t incorrect as you say) to purport something as true when it’s in fact false?

Actually, I bet you’ll say it’s neither correct nor incorrect, even tho we know what they’re saying is incorrect.

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
why is it correct(isn’t incorrect as you say)
It isn't a correct thing to do, nor is it an incorrect thing to do. Acts aren't correct or incorrect. Correctness isn't a property acts have.

You might as well be asking me "Is the number three purple or yellow?". It's neither. Color isn't a property that numbers have.

Upvote 0