Hong Kong
✟151,466.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think there are a small core of moral truths that we all intuitively know about and its because of this knowledge we make them like natural laws. So really all the moral disagreement is traced back to these core moral truths. Also often the disagreement isn't over the moral truth itself but a cultures understanding of the facts around that moral issue.

According to moral realism the idea is that moral statements express propositions that refer to objective features of the world (that is, features independent of subjective opinion), some of which may be true to the extent that they report those features accurately.

So its not identifying any truths its just saying that there is a truth to be found. So the fact that people disagree or that its too hard or complicated to find that truth doesn't negate that there is a truth to be found. We usually reason moral issues and that can help us find the truth.

Humm I'm not sure what you mean. But if you mean we can come up with 10,000 ways to make stealing ok or justified I think this is a big exaggeration. I don't think any god or authority like a dictator can force moral laws as this would be just there version.

I am interested in which ways we can rationalise stealing as OK if thats what you mean because I think its pretty clear that stealing is one of the core moral truths. But what I find interesting is that if we did start to argue about what is regarded as stealing or not we would be appealing to some objective to determine what is stealing or not.

So you get what i said about red herring and meaningful use of terms?

Ok, identify the core moral values.
And a truth.

" 10,000" is just typical way of speaking here.
The bible is full of that sort of thing.
But 10K or three, point is the same.

No reason to confuse the issue with numbers
or definitions of stealing.

There are endless ( more than 10K) spevific
situations inwhich the clear moral choice
would require theft.

Now, could you identify even one (1) general rule, universally applicable moral
absolute that allows for no exception or grey area?

• Winner
Reactions: Kylie
Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Proud Citizen of Moralton
Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
But if we say "chocolate icecream is good" there is no objective to recognise. It doesnt say anything but some subjective state of the subject.
Wrong. Chocolate ice cream is the object. "Good" is a description of that object. The same as "The Earth is round". We're saying "X is Y".

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
The fact that you can get away with it in the privacy of your home doesn't mean there is no unwritten law. There can be all sorts of immoral acts within the privacy of someones home that have clear laws that forbid doing them.
The bodies of government you're always referring to didn't write that law. The People didn't get together and demand that it be illegal because it's immoral. Why not?

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
No its not. Saying rape is wrong is expresing a fact outside the subject. It is saying "Rape" in itself is wrong.
Yes, it is. And I'm using your source to prove it. If the statement can be evaluated as true or false, then we're speaking objectively. The statement "Chocolate ice cream is tasty" states that "chocolate ice cream" is in itself tasty. What any given person means or is thinking when they make the statement is irrelevant.

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,170.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Wrong. Chocolate ice cream is the object. "Good" is a description of that object. The same as "The Earth is round". We're saying "X is Y".

By this logic, "Star Trek is the best sci fi franchise" is an objective statement.

Having an object doesn't make it objectively true.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
So you get what i said about red herring and meaningful use of terms?

Ok, identify the core moral values.
And a truth.

" 10,000" is just typical way of speaking here.
The bible is full of that sort of thing.
But 10K or three, point is the same.

No reason to confuse the issue with numbers
or definitions of stealing.

There are endless ( more than 10K) spevific
situations inwhich the clear moral choice
would require theft.

Now, could you identify even one (1) general rule, universally applicable moral
absolute that allows for no exception or grey area?
I tend to look at "exceptions" as a matter of competing values.

So if stealing is always wrong, then you can still do it if necessary to serve some more important value like preventing a person from dying.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,466.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I tend to look at "exceptions" as a matter of competing values.

So if stealing is always wrong, then you can still do it if necessary to serve some more important value like preventing a person from dying.

That makes no sense to me.

Steal the weapon from a serial killer, to stop him?
Steal a Nazi fighter plane and fly it to England?
Steal food / medicine when theres no other way?

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
That makes no sense to me.

Steal the weapon from a serial killer, to stop him?
Steal a Nazi fighter plane and fly it to England?
Steal food / medicine when theres no other way?
Would you call taking the serial killers weapon "stealing"?

"Stealing" is not just any time we take somebody's stuff. There's many kinds of legal confiscation that isnt "theft".

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,466.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Would you call taking the serial killers weapon "stealing"?

"Stealing" is not just any time we take somebody's stuff. There's many kinds of legal confiscation that isnt "theft".

Of course! It depends. No general rule.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Of course! It depends. No general rule.
If taking the serial killers gun isnt stealing, then thats not an example of when its ok to steal.

I think your first 2 examples arent actually "stealing".

As for stealing for pure survival, it could still be wrong, but outweighed by a more important value.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,466.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
If taking the serial killers gun isnt stealing, then thats not an example of when its ok to steal.

I think your first 2 examples arent actually "stealing".

As for stealing for pure survival, it could still be wrong, but outweighed by a more important value.

To me, things like " dont steal" and " dont lie" are good general ideas,
and its well to observe them.
Trying to apply them rigidly and always is just dumb.

I liked what a Jesuit priest i met said, when I asked him
about such absolutes.
"God gave us a brain, he expects us to use it"

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
And I have been as clear as I can possibly be that such determinations can be made subjectively, just like how people decide whether Star Trek or Star Wars is better subjectively.
This seems to be at the crux of our debate where we are getting stuck on translating subjective thinking into moral thinking. They are different types of thinking. Subjective thinking is descriptive. It describes the subjects state such as the prefer Star Trek. Whereas morality is prescriptive so it attributes “oughts” and “should” which we cannot apply to subjective states i.e. We cannot say or apply that “we ought not to prefer Star Trek” or that “we should not prefer Star Trek as its wrong”. Doesn’t work.

Again, I have responded to this countless times. First of all, people acting like morality is objective doesn't make it objective, and secondly, I also say sunrise and sunset, that doesn't mean that I actually think the sun is moving and the Earth isn't.
It doesnt mean the sun rotates around the earth because we know objectively that it doesn't.

But when it comes to morality because it’s prescriptive when you “rape is wrong” you are making an objective and normative claim that something is either right or wrong which we know is like a natural law just like we know the laws of physics and the relationship of the earth to the sun.

Under subjective thinking there is no right and wrong. It doesn’t matter how many examples you give me it doesn’t translate into morality because it’s descriptive. Like the earth orbiting the sun is a description of what is happening and not prescriptive about how we ought to act morally. That is why I keep questioning what you mean because the examples you give are not how morality works.

Because they are basing their decision on their own experience and their own values. Different people have different values, after all.
Ok so if “Different people have different values” how do we determine the right value to apply to a situation. How do we find out which is the best way to behave in any moral situation.

It can't be just the person with the most elegant debating style or personal opinion as some opinions may have more to offer or be reasoned better than others.
Of course, I find it hard to believe that you do not understand how people can reach decisions subjectively. Most people make such decisions every day. Don't you?
I think I understand that people have feelings, views about the world and can come to their own worldview. But this is tainted with personal experience which can skew their view of things. So its not a reliable base to make such important judgements as moral situations require. We would want to be able to reason the best or at least better option as it concerns peoples lives and wellbeing.

You say you are just responding to what I have said, yet it appears to me that you have completely ignored me when I have stated repeatedly that I believe that morality is subjective.
I don’t doubt “you believe” that morality is subjective. But believing is one thing and how we act or converse in real life situations is another. I think this is the heart of the issue as I have been saying that people cannot help but make morality objective. The way we act and converse has implications for reality when it comes to moral issues.

When you say things like TV shows are equivalent to moral values it doesn’t make sense so I try to show you why. When you say people claim something is morally wrong it implies an objective determination. It’s either right or wrong so I try to point this out and how it doesnt translate to poreferences ie 'its not wrong to dislike Star Trek'.

When you say people disagree over moral values it implies someone is right and someone is wrong which needs to be determined by some independent measure. When you say people reason about moral issues it implies there needs to be some objective basis to determine which moral values are the right ones. So I keep clarifying what you mean because what you keep implying in using this language is that there are objective morals.

1) Different views are not equal in the view of any one particular person. I, for example hold the opinion that Star Trek is better than Star Wars. There are plenty of people who hold the opposite view, and yet their opinions are not equal to mine FROM MY PERSPECTIVE.
it’s interesting that you emphasize “FROM MY PERSPECTIVE” as this is what I have been saying all along. That subjective preferences and feelings are only about the subject perspective and are not “Truths” outside the subject for others like morality is.

So Apart from YOUR PERSPECTIVE do people’s preferences for TV shows have equal status in the world. If a person holds the opposite view that Star Wars is better than Star Trek is their view any less of value outside the subjects thinking in the world.
And by that, I mean that I'm not going to act as though I love Star Wars and hate Star Trek just because someone else holds that view. I'm going to live my life based on my own view, in just the same way that I'm going to live my life by the moral standards that I have found are best for me.
But here is where the subjective system falls down. You say “I'm not going to act as though I love Star Wars and hate Star Trek just because someone else holds that view” But we do act like we hate immoral behaviour. We do march in the streets and protest to our leaders over moral issues, we do sack people for immoral behaviour. See how preferences for TV shows don’t translate.

When you say “I'm going to live my life by the moral standards that I have found are best for me”.
So let’s apply this subjective thinking to morality. Can the person with the opposite view to you “live their life by the moral standards that they have found are best for them”.
2)My answer above applies here as well. People base their decision on their own experience and their own values. Different people have different values, after all.
So if 2 people were arguing about a moral issue and they both express their views how do we determine which view is the right moral behaviour. Surely if they are only expressing personal opinions we cannot base important matters on this. People’s opinions and views are skewed by their personal experience so they will be an unreliable and even dangerous way to determine what is the right behaviour for moral issues.
3) I've already answered this. I would not be able to answer this unless I had actually been in a situation where I actually had to do it. Logically, I would say that the older person is the more logical choice based on the fact that they have already lived more of their life, and yet if the older person was my husband, I don't think I could choose to not save him. And yet if the younger person were my daughter, well, you get the idea.
OK this is what I have been trying to point out that we cannot help but make morality objective. Everything you spoke about in how to determine which person to kill implies an objective basis to measure things. For example you said "you have to be in the situation to know what to do". Why would you need to be in the situation unless you needed to know the circumstances and how this impacts on your judgement? But in doing that reasonong why one determination is better than the other can only make sense if there is an object basis to reason against.

Secondly when you say “I would say that the older person is the more logical choice based on the fact that they have already lived more of their life” you are acknowledging that you need an objective base to reason and use logic against to find the facts.

I understand people have personal feelings for others but in your moral situation where we have no alternative but to kill the old person or the young person it’s obvious that this is a matter beyond personal feelings or preferences. So as you said reasoning and logic can be used to determine what the best way to go is. This needs an objective measure outside subjective feelings and preferences.[/quote]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Obviously, they would be disagreeing about whether it is morally permissible or not. Do I really need to explain this?

And once again I will point out that people can debate an issue that has no objective truth. I've already pointed out more times than I can count about how people have debated whether Star Trek is better than Star Wars, and yet that does not have an objective truth to it.
And I have shown you by applying this thinking to moral issues and it doesn’t work. That’s why I said I think this is the crux of the matter that we keep getting stuck on and therefore we need to break this down and apply it practically to work out what’s really happening. I have sort of done that a bit above and will continue to do so as I think we are just going around in circles otherwise.

That being said I want to focus on this quote you said ” Obviously, they would be disagreeing about whether it is morally permissible or not”. By saying we need to determine “whether it is morally permissible or not” this implies something is either right or wrong behaviour. It doesn’t allow for preferences for TV shows like subjective thinking does.

If 10 people had different preferences about TV shows we don’t need to determine whether a preference for a TV is right or wrong like we do for moral issue. So you begin your reply with a supposition that there needs to be some objective to measure if it’s permissible or not.

They use their own personal values.
So like I said, give me an example of how that happens. So if two people are debating this issue how do they sort it out as to which is the best thing to do. Don’t they need an agreed basis to even argue this issue? Can they turn to some research to see if there are any negative effects of certain behaviours? Is that something they could use to argue their moral position?

I don't see how it is a logical fallacy. There is absolutely nothing stopping anyone from claiming their subjective opinion is an objective fact. If I say, "Ew, oysters are disgusting! They taste like boogers!" I am presenting my subjective opinion in the same way I would present an objective fact.
Yes but the fact is only true for you. Your describing your subjective state ie “Ew, disgusting,, tastes like”. It doesnt apply objectively outside youself as morals do.

In science objective is outside the personal views of people. So when someone says “the earth is round” that is an objective fact outside the person. It is true for you and me and everyone. But your taste for oysters is only true for you. Unlike morality which works like science, and logic similar to Math (but is not science) moral truths are facts outside the person.

So applied to your example of oysters we cannot say “Ew oysters are wrong” because it doesn’t make sense and subjective preferences or feelings don’t translate to moral issues which require right or wrong determination.

I think it's a bit rich that you accuse me of trying to wriggle out of a difficult moral situation when you and the other moral objectivists in this thread have done so numerous times.
I am not accusing anyone of trying to wriggle out of anything. I am merely pointing out the difficulty of applying subjective morality practically. This is a well know problem in philosophy. But I am interested in how you think I try to wriggle out of things.

People can have reasons to back up their position while that position is subjective. I can give a list of reasons why Star Trek is better than Star Wars, but that doesn't actually make Trek objectively better.
This is another good example. People do have reasons for wht “They” think something is wrong. But as morality is normative it is a system that applies to all. So the problem you have is translating that into moral issues. You even acknowledged the limitation of subjective thinking when you said “but that doesn't actually make Trek objectively better”. So if subjective thinking cannot deetrmine what is better/best moral behaviour then we must need some other way to do this thus moral realism (objective morality).

Okay, you just gave a reason for each side of the debate. Can you tell me which of those two reasons is the morally correct one? And if they are both correct to some degree, which is correct to a greater degree?
Before I answer as I have answered this before I want to clarify something. Are you saying we cannot even reason about this issue to see if there is a better/best way to act? That’s the implication you seem to be claiming that there is no better/best way to behave that is better than other ways to behave.

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
If 10 people had different preferences about TV shows we don’t need to determine whether a preference for a TV is right or wrong like we do for moral issue.
Let's imagine that morality really is objective. And let's imagine there's a fella named Jack who actually knows, without a shadow of a doubt, what the right and wrong thing to do in any situation is. Why should he do the right thing and why shouldn't he do the wrong thing?

Upvote 0

VirOptimus

A nihilist who cares.
Aug 24, 2005
✟250,687.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Let's imagine that morality really is objective. And let's imagine there's a fella named Jack who actually knows, without a shadow of a doubt, what the right and wrong thing to do in any situation is. Why should he do the right thing and why shouldn't he do the wrong thing?

He has dodged the question about authority the whole debate, he dont seem to grasp the concept.

• Agree
Reactions: Estrid
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
To me, things like " dont steal" and " dont lie" are good general ideas,
and its well to observe them.
Trying to apply them rigidly and always is just dumb.

I liked what a Jesuit priest i met said, when I asked him
about such absolutes.
"God gave us a brain, he expects us to use it"
Yeah I agree.

My point though was to salvage the idea that stealing is always wrong in principle (for those who need to feel that) while allowing that its an acceptable course of action given certain circumstances.

Conflicting values is the way to frame this, I think.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,466.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yeah I agree.

My point though was to salvage the idea that stealing is always wrong in principle (for those who need to feel that) while allowing that its an acceptable course of action given certain circumstances.

Conflicting values is the way to frame this, I think.

Sure.
As noted in what you said about stealing from
the serial killer, it comes down to definitions and
individual case by case thought.
The moral absolutists seem to want to evade that responsibility

• Agree
Reactions: durangodawood
Upvote 0