Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Is there a need of ecumenism?
Here is the definition of ecumenism -
  1. the principle or aim of promoting unity among the world's Christian Churches.
So I think your answer would be based on how you viewed promoting unity. Is that unity in mission or in ministries or some form of formal unity in structure and discipline?

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Our best hope for ecumenism is in the heavenly kingdom ( I think). In a general sense, I think, Christians can at least remember the fear of the Lord & keeping His commandments ( Ecclesiastes 12:13-14, 1 Samuel 12:14, Matthew 19:16-19, Romans 13:8-10 etc. ). This is an ecumenism that I believe works by the grace of the Spirit among us ( John 16:5-15, Romans 8 etc.).

It is in the Orthodox Church I believe the apostolic faith is and believe the Holy Spirit will work out misunderstanding among Christians as we cooperate, discern, keep the commandments etc. as best we can.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think so. Our division makes Christ and the apostles liars, in a sense, by negating one of the primary things upon which they insisted. Doctrine is a second order activity; love and unity are first order activities. Doctrine arises out of who Christ is and who we are in Christ, which must be realized in mutual love and unity before we say a word about what it all means. Those realities transcend whatever we might say about them. Lack of unity makes those realities seem like fanciful fictions. So, being divided over doctrine is like putting the cart before the horse, and then getting rid of the horse because it doesn't pull. :rolleyes:

this is the Orthodox subforum, and we absolutely reject this. please realize where you are before posting

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
this is the Orthodox subforum, and we absolutely reject this. please realize where you are before posting

Yep, I just caught that when I saw you posted. My apologies.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,758.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It depends on what you mean by ecumenism. If it involves compromise, than no. If it means getting to know one's neighbor so we're better neighbors, than yes.

An example of the latter.
Here in the DC area, one of the many churches is St Andrew's Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral which is part of the EP. Their cathedral is next door with a fairly large mosque. The two communities actually get along really well. When the Ukrainians have their festival, the Muslims allow people to utilize their parking lot and help direct traffic within it. The Ukrainians have a larger yard, so when the Muslims are having a huge wedding for example, the Ukrainians allow them to use more of their yard.
It's a good neighborly relationship between the two which is good because far too often we don't do a good job of being good neighbors.

Reactions: Melily
Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I do not believe in ecumenism. I do not support joint charitable endeavors neither. No need to pool resources.
If something agrees with our teaching we can let the world know it, if need be. We can speak out, if need be. If a society or organization asks us about our beliefs we can tell them, and explain why we believe what we do.
If the time is ripe the heterodox sect can pursue Orthodoxy. And if we see difficulty then WE must let them know that the season is not yet ripe for further dialogues and break them off.

Upvote 0