Is the Sabbath everywhere on the seventh day of the week as it was in Eden?

Which is most correct?

• The first Sabbath was from morning to morning

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Israel remembers the first Sabbath at a different time

• From morning to evening is the half a day period God called day

• From evening to morning is the half a day period God called night

• From evening to evening in Israel is not a local day of the week

• All of the above

• Total voters

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Is not the Holy Spirit more glorious than the commandments

1. "This IS the LOVE of God that we KEEP His Commandments" 1 John 5:3
2. "If you LOVE Me KEEP My Commandments" John 14:15
3. "Love me and KEEP My Commandments" Ex 20:10
4. "What matters is KEEPING the Commandments of God" 1 Cor 7:19
5. "Holy men of old moved by the Holy SPIRIT - spoke from GOD" 2 Peter 1:21
6. New Covenant "I will write MY LAW on their heart" Jer 31:31-34

Ignoring the written word of the Holy Spirit is not "loving God" according to the Bible - the written work of the Holy Spirit.

How is this even remotely confusing?

Upvote 0

guevaraj

an oil seller in the story of the ten virgins
Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2019
Berrien Springs
Visit site
✟542,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
This appears as the "easy part"
Brother, you fail to notice that evening to evening in Leviticus is not equal to evening to morning in Genesis. God does not have two ways of defining 24 hours, knowing that evening to evening in Leviticus is 24 hours, it means that evening to morning in Genesis can not be 24 hours and in fact it is 12 hours, the 12 hours of the night that concludes the first day that began earlier with 12 hours of light making up the 24 hours from first light to light again in the morning or from morning to morning.

And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness. God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day. (Genesis 1:3-5 NIV)
United in our hope of the soon return of Jesus, Jorge

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟662,505.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
  • . "This IS the LOVE of God that we KEEP Jesus Commandments" 1 John 5:3

2. "If you LOVE Me KEEP Jesus Commandments" John 14:15
3. "Love me and KEEP Jesus Commandments" Ex 20:10
4. "What matters is KEEPING the Commandments of Jesus" 1 Cor 7:19
6. New Covenant "I will write Jesus LAW on their heart" Jer 31:31-34

Jn15:10 Jesus speaking:
10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

11 These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.

12 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.

13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

14 Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.

1Jn3: John writing:
21 Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God.

22 And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.

23 And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.

24 And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

Ignoring the written word of the Holy Spirit is not "loving God" according to the Bible - the written work of the Holy Spirit.

How is this even remotely confusing?
It isn't, you are. The fact is that you are ignoring the new covenant, the one that does not require the keeping of days. I really do not care how many days you try to keep, my problem with the SDA church is that you are telling the world that if we don't follow your advice we will not inherit the Kingdom of Heaven. There is not one bit of truth in what you spread.

It means eternal salvation to keep the Sabbath holy unto the Lord. God says: "Them that honor Me I will honor." {6T 356.4}

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
  • . "This IS the LOVE of God that we KEEP Jesus Commandments" 1 John 5:3
2. "If you LOVE Me KEEP Jesus Commandments" John 14:15
3. "Love me and KEEP Jesus Commandments" Ex 20:10
4. "What matters is KEEPING the Commandments of Jesus" 1 Cor 7:19
6. New Covenant "I will write Jesus LAW on their heart" Jer 31:31-34

Jn15:10 Jesus speaking:
10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love;

Thanks for quoting those texts.. it is nice to be on the same page finally - at the end of the decade.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The fact is that you are ignoring the new covenant

I quoted the New Covenant... does that quote of it - indicate to you that I am ignoring it?

How often do you quote it??? (other than quoting me quoting it)

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟662,505.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for quoting those texts.. it is nice to be on the same page finally - at the end of the decade.
Same page? If we were on the same page you would not have cropped my post. Are you afraid to study 1Jn3:19-24? If we were on the same page you would not ignore 2Cor3:6-11 and Jn 15:10-14.

I am sure that we are on the same page as far as our love for Jesus, so we do have a lot of common ground. What I would like to know is do you believe your church's teaching that since I know about the Sabbath command, from the now defunct old covenant, will I lose my eternal inheritance as is absolutely taught by the SDA church?

Upvote 0

guevaraj

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2019
Berrien Springs
Visit site
✟542,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
What I would like to know is do you believe your church's teaching that since I know about the Sabbath command, from the now defunct old covenant, will I lose my eternal inheritance as is absolutely taught by the SDA church?
Brother, do you mean losing your salvation for lack of "righteousness" to your own destruction? Not fulfilling at least the ten minimum commandments written by Jesus' own finger, because it was Jesus before the incarnation that Moses saw writing the ten commandments with His own finger when Jesus revealed that no one before Jesus's baptism had heard or seen the form of the Father.

But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, where righteousness dwells. So then, dear friends, since you are looking forward to this, make every effort to be found spotless, blameless and at peace with him. Bear in mind that our Lord’s patience means salvation, just as our dear brother Paul also wrote you with the wisdom that God gave him. He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction. (2 Peter 3:13-16 NIV)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟662,505.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Brother, do you mean losing your salvation for lack of "righteousness" to your own destruction? Not fulfilling at least the ten minimum commandments written by Jesus' own finger, because it was Jesus before the incarnation that Moses saw writing the ten commandments with His own finger when Jesus revealed that no one before Jesus's baptism had heard or seen the form of the Father.
Hi Jorge, I feared someone would write a judgment as you have done. Tell me this who wants to be under the Law, Gal3:3 Did you receive the Spirit 4 Have you experienced so much in vain—if it really was in vain? 5 So again I ask, does God give you his Spirit and work miracles among you by the works of the law, or by your believing what you heard? 6 So also Abraham ‘believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness.’ 10 For all who rely on the works of the law are under a curse, as it is written: ‘Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law.’ 11 Clearly no one who relies on the law is justified before God, because ‘the righteous will live by faith.’ 12 The law is not based on faith; on the contrary, it says, ‘The person who does these things will live by them.’ 13 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: ‘Cursed is everyone who is hung on a pole.’ 14 He redeemed us in order that the blessing given to Abraham might come to the Gentiles through Christ Jesus, so that by faith we might receive the promise of the Spirit.

So, now you are telling me that I have to keep the ritual Sabbath of the now defunct old covenant in order to be saved???? That is in complete contradiction to what the Bible teaches brother! It is not by our works of the law that we are saved. Israelites were not saved by their works of the law. They were saved the same way Abraham was saved. I am so sorry that someone has gotten into your mind and filled you with such nonsense. You are spreading a false doctrine just like those who persuaded you to accept the false teaching.

I, too, was a victim of such teachings. I loved the Lord and wanted to do all the things that pleased Him, so I accepted the teachings of those who believed they were saved by their works. I thank God that I started studying for myself without the "lesser light". (you know who the lesser light was) I also thank God for those who helped me in my journey out of a false teaching church.

But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, where righteousness dwells. So then, dear friends, since you are looking forward to this, make every effort to be found spotless, blameless and at peace with him. Bear in mind that our Lord’s patience means salvation, just as our dear brother Paul also wrote you with the wisdom that God gave him. He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction. (2 Peter 3:13-16 NIV)
Just because Peter found it hard to understand some of what Paul wrote does not mean that I can't. I fear you have used Peter's writings to tell me that I don't have the ability to understand what Paul wrote and you do have that understanding, so I had better listen to what you have to write. When you tell me I will be saved by my works of Sabbath keeping, I know that you are telling me something false and I quit listening.

Upvote 0

guevaraj

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2019
Berrien Springs
Visit site
✟542,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Did you receive the Spirit
Brother, the Holy Spirit has guided me to the truth of the Sabbath that you reject with the rest of Jesus' ten commandments because you believe they are the Father's commandments when they are Jesus' commandments, written by His own finger that define the least love Jesus demands; you can love more and Jesus has taught us to love more, but He demands nothing less than the ten commandments as best you can.

If ye love me, keep my commandments. (John 14:15 NIV)​

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟662,505.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Brother, the Holy Spirit has guided me to the truth of the Sabbath that you reject with the rest of Jesus' ten commandments
Nine of the 10 commandments are about how we treat God and our fellow man. Those commands are about morality. The fourth commandment is about a day just as were all the special days God asked Israel to observe. We call those commands ritual. The Sabbath, command according to the list of the 10 commandments in Deut 5, tells Israel to keep the Sabbath in remembrance of God delivering them out of Egypt. It was not any concern to the Gentile nations and God has never asked any other nation to observe any day. For Christians God's new covenant doesn't ask us to observe days. Jesus asks us to keep His commandments just as He kept the Father's commandments. Jesus in Jn15 makes a definite difference between the old covenant laws and the laws or commandments He has given you and me.

because you believe they are the Father's commandments when they are Jesus' commandments, written by His own finger that define the least love Jesus demands; you can love more and Jesus has taught us to love more, but He demands nothing less than the ten commandments as best you can.
Why you insist on saying that the old covenant laws were Jesus laws when Jesus said they were the Father's laws is beyond me.

10 If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love. 11 I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. 12 My command is this: love each other as I have loved you.

If ye love me, keep my commandments. (John 14:15 NIV)
Exactly, My command is this: love each other as I have loved you. Jn 14:15 does not tell us to keep the 10 commandments, it tells us to keep Jesus commandments. What you and the SDA church is doing is trying to add to what scripture is telling us. There is no 10 in Jn14:15! 1Jn3:19-24 tells us again what Jesus commandments are, but you have never recognized the posts I have presented with those commands yet Jn is telling you and me: 19 This is how we know that we belong to the truth and how we set our hearts at rest in his presence: 20 if our hearts condemn us, we know that God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything. 21 Dear friends, if our hearts do not condemn us, we have confidence before God 22 and receive from him anything we ask, because we keep his commands and do what pleases him.
23 And
this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us. 24 The one who keeps God’s commands lives in him, and he in them. And this is how we know that he lives in us: we know it by the Spirit he gave us. I refer you back to Jn15:10.

The Spirit He (Jesus) gave us doesn't convict some one way and others another way. The Holy Spirit has never convicted me to observe a day given only to one nation. Man did and it was because man didn't understand that man is not under the Sinai covenant law. It isn't because God has not revealed to Christians that man is not under the Sinai covenant law, Paul has revealed the fact in many of his writings. Paul wrote in 2Cor3 that the 10 commandments are done away, (KJV) and now our guide is the Holy Spirit. You have never responded to any of this. How can you ignore what is written for our admonition Jorge? You accept what Adventists teach instead of what the Bible says. If you really believe I am not telling you the truth why are you not ever responding to my statements and questions?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

guevaraj

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2019
Berrien Springs
Visit site
✟542,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Nine of the 10 commandments are about how we treat God and our fellow man. Those commands are about morality. The fourth commandment is about a day just as were all the special days God asked Israel to observe. We call those commands ritual. The Sabbath, command according to the list of the 10 commandments in Deut 5, tells Israel to keep the Sabbath in remembrance of God delivering them out of Egypt. It was not any concern to the Gentile nations and God has never asked any other nation to observe any day. For Christians God's new covenant doesn't ask us to observe days. Jesus asks us to keep His commandments just as He kept the Father's commandments. Jesus in Jn15 makes a definite difference between the old covenant laws and the laws or commandments He has given you and me.
Brother, we have never seen the Father’s commandments. Jesus is not separating His own ten commandments written by His own finger and the added commandments under the new covenant that make our “righteousness” greater than that of those who preceded us. Your misunderstanding wrongly eliminates the “righteousness” of our predecessors, instead of surpassing it as Jesus demands.

For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven. (Matthew 5:20 NIV)​

As Jesus stated earlier, “He has not come to abolish but to fulfill”, and fulfilled is the law when we obey it. Thanks to Jesus’ cycle of forgiveness that removes the past from interfering with our future fulfillment of the law, routed out is the sin in us as we grow within Jesus’ faster cycle of forgiveness than the animal sacrifices of our predecessors. You have not understood the message, Jesus came to remove sin not the law that exposes sin in us. The fact is that in the new covenant Jesus added to the law exposing even more sin in us to correct through His new faster cycle of forgiveness than the animal sacrifices could practically deal with; Jesus expects more “righteousness” now than before.
Why you insist on saying that the old covenant laws were Jesus laws when Jesus said they were the Father's laws is beyond me.
The Bible opposes your unsubstantiated assumption as inconsistent with Matthew 5, where Jesus says He has come to remove nothing of the ten commandments and begins to add to the ten commandments stating that our “righteousness” is to surpass that of our predecessors. You are removing the “righteousness” of our predecessors instead of surpassing it as Jesus demands by Jesus adding to the demands already revealed in the ten commandments.
10 If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love. 11 I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. 12 My command is this: love each other as I have loved you.
John 15:12 is better translated as: “This is what makes a commandment of mine: love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.” One more command, consistent with the fact that it is not the only commandment Jesus has given us in the New Testament. Here is a reminder in the new covenant of one of the ten commandments previously given:

Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. “Honor your father and mother”—which is the first commandment with a promise— “so that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth.” (Ephesians 6:1-3 NIV)​

Therefore, Jesus is not abolishing commandments, but is adding commandments to the ten already given with His own finger before the incarnation so that are “righteousness” will be greater than those who preceded us. He asks us now more and not less having more help with the Holy Spirit.
Exactly, My command is this: love each other as I have loved you. Jn 14:15 does not tell us to keep the 10 commandments, it tells us to keep Jesus commandments.
A lifelong study of the New Testament by Mr. Finnis Jennings Dake shows 1,050 commandments in total, including the ten previous commandments as remembered in Ephesians 6 above. Therefore, Jesus has not removed any of the ten commandments and has added many more to increase our “righteousness” over our predecessors who gain forgiveness of their sins through the slower cycle of animal sacrifices and could not practically deal with as much sin as we can now under Jesus’ heavenly temple ministry as our high priest.
What you and the SDA church is doing is trying to add to what scripture is telling us. There is no 10 in Jn14:15! 1Jn3:19-24 tells us again what Jesus commandments are, but you have never recognized the posts I have presented with those commands yet Jn is telling you and me: 19 This is how we know that we belong to the truth and how we set our hearts at rest in his presence: 20 if our hearts condemn us, we know that God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything. 21 Dear friends, if our hearts do not condemn us, we have confidence before God 22 and receive from him anything we ask, because we keep his commands and do what pleases him. 23 And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us. 24 The one who keeps God’s commands lives in him, and he in them. And this is how we know that he lives in us: we know it by the Spirit he gave us. I refer you back to Jn15:10.
Study the word “righteousness” and you will understand that Jesus wants more of it and not less. Jesus made it clear that the ten commandments were His own when He stated that before His baptism no one had ever heard or seen the form of the Father, when everyone knew that Moses had seen the form of the finger writing the ten commandments. What Jesus was revealing is that Moses saw Jesus’ own finger before the incarnation writing His commandments that do not have the commandments of the Father that allowed Jesus to take our place for the forgiveness of our past sins in the heavenly temple as our high priest. We have not seen the Father’s commandments, but from what Jesus has already taught us it is more than Jesus’ minimalist ten commandments, Jesus now having added more commandments for a total of 1,050 according to the before mentioned study of the New Testament.
The Spirit He (Jesus) gave us doesn't convict some one way and others another way. The Holy Spirit has never convicted me to observe a day given only to one nation. Man did and it was because man didn't understand that man is not under the Sinai covenant law. It isn't because God has not revealed to Christians that man is not under the Sinai covenant law, Paul has revealed the fact in many of his writings. Paul wrote in 2Cor3 that the 10 commandments are done away, (KJV) and now our guide is the Holy Spirit. You have never responded to any of this. How can you ignore what is written for our admonition Jorge? You accept what Adventists teach instead of what the Bible says. If you really believe I am not telling you the truth why are you not ever responding to my statements and questions?
The Holy Spirit has already revealed the truth in the Bible that you resist with the excuse that the Holy Spirit has not personally convicted you of it, that is not a valid excuse to ignore what the Holy Spirit has already given us in the Scriptures. You have not understood Paul, the requirements of the ten commandments have not been lessened but increased. Jesus tells us that our “righteousness” must be greater than that of our predecessors by adding to the ten commandments a total of 1,050 commandments according to the study before mentioned. The law is “fulfilled” when we obey it and Jesus did not come to abolish any of the ten commandments but to make it possible for us to fulfill their demand on us and has added commandments to increase His demands so that our “righteousness” is greater than that of our predecessors. You made an unsubstantiated assumption that the ten commandments were not Jesus’ when written by Jesus’ own finger. We have not seen the Father’s commandments Jesus is obeying: where in the ten commandments is our salvation through Jesus sacrifice stated? The Father’s “righteousness” is greater than the mere ten commandments that Jesus demanded from those that preceded us and under the new covenant with the extra help of the Holy Spirit, Jesus asks us more than the ten commandments without eliminating any of the ten commandments He already gave us: He extended the requirements under the extra help of the Holy Spirit in the new covenant.

Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven. (Matthew 5:18-20 NIV)​

You want Jesus to ask for less than the ten commandments when He is asking for more than the ten commandments: our “righteousness” must be greater than the ten commandments required of those that preceded us. The ten commandments are “accomplished” when we obey them; Jesus gives us that opportunity through His forgiveness, preventing our past from taking away the benefit of our future obedience through a current cycle of growth that needs less and less forgiveness to perfection. Jesus asks for more than the ten commandments, making our “righteousness” even greater than that of those who preceded us: there was no condemnation under the ten commandments of looking with lust at a woman in the heart, but my “righteousness” must be greater than that of those who preceded me: not only must I not commit adultery, a much easier demand in comparison, but now even more demanding, I cannot look with lust at a woman, a demand much more frequent and difficult to overcome in comparison. With the faster cycle of forgiveness with Jesus as our high priest in the heavenly temple in comparison with the slower forgiveness of the animal sacrifices I can overcome not only the external act of adultery but also the new greater demand of the internal thoughts of looking at a woman lustfully.

You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘You shall not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.’ But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to a brother or sister, ‘Raca,’ is answerable to the court. And anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be in danger of the fire of hell… “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart. If your right eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. And if your right hand causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell. (Mathew 5:21-22,27-28 NIV)​

Upvote 0

guevaraj

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2019
Berrien Springs
Visit site
✟542,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Brothers and sisters, there is now a way to get access to my book for free in "Readers' Favorite". I hope everyone takes advantage of this opportunity in their preparation for the return of Jesus.

Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do. (James 1:2-8 NIV)​

Upvote 0

guevaraj

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2019
Berrien Springs
Visit site
✟542,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Let the Scriptures Determine Your Theology, Do Not Read Your Theology into Scripture.
Brother Cribstyl, I completely agree with your statement. Thank you for giving me this opportunity to defend the scriptures from our Sabbath theology.
Can you show me scripture that God created the heavens and the earth from planet earth?
Before the beginning of the creation week, which takes place at the first light, “the heavens and the earth” were created (bara'); a time not specified before the creation week. Therefore, “the heavens and the earth” were not made from planet earth, the earth was later chosen as our home and God changed its surface among other acts of creation during the week of creation to prepare (asah) the earth as our home. The earth already existed before the week of creation.
Can you show me scripture that God's rest from creation is the same as the weekly Sabbath rest that He commanded through Moses?
The fourth commandment in Exodus links the Sabbath in Israel with the seventh day of creation in Genesis. This second question helps me to understand why you asked the first question.

Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns. For in six days the Lord made (asah) the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy. (Exodus 20:8-11 NIV)​

Going back to your first question, consider what is different in the fourth commandment above compared to the first verse in Genesis below. The answer is the verb translated as “made” above.

In the beginning God created (bara') the heavens and the earth. (Genesis 1:1 NIV)​

The verb translated “made” in Exodus and the translated verb “created” in Genesis are different, the one used in the fourth commandment is clearly understood in this other context below. In conclusion, what the fourth commandment says with its verb choice is that God prepared (asah) and did not create (bara') the heavens and the earth in 6 days as our home.

Let me get you something to eat, so you can be refreshed and then go on your way—now that you have come to your servant.” “Very well,” they answered, “do as you say.” So Abraham hurried into the tent to Sarah. “Quick,” he said, “get three seahs of the finest flour and knead it and bake some bread.” Then he ran to the herd and selected a choice, tender calf and gave it to a servant, who hurried to prepare (asah) it. He then brought some curds and milk and the calf that had been prepared (asah), and set these before them. While they ate, he stood near them under a tree. (Genesis 18:5-8 NIV)​

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cribstyl

Veteran
Jun 13, 2006
✟99,143.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Brother Cribstyl, I completely agree with your statement. Thank you for giving me this opportunity to defend the scriptures from our Sabbath theology.

Before the beginning of the creation week, which takes place at the first light, “the heavens and the earth” were created (bara'); a time not specified before the creation week. Therefore, “the heavens and the earth” were not made from planet earth, the earth was later chosen as our home and God changed its surface among other acts of creation during the week of creation to prepare (asah) the earth as our home. The earth already existed before the week of creation.
Brother Guevara, I'm commenting on two issues from your post.
You're speaking of a time before creation week, but scripture show that creation week is when God spoke everything into existence.
If God's first words was "Let there be light" what first light are you talking about? What text causes you to specify a time before creation?

Psa 33:6
By the word of the LORD the heavens were made,
And all the host of them by the breath of His mouth.

Psa 33:9
For He spoke, and it was done;
He commanded, and it stood fast.

sir, I don't have scriptures to understand where you're coming from.
The scriptures above says, BY THE WORD OF GOD the Heavens were made. ( Could that mean all galaxies, suns, planets, included earth? )
The fourth commandment in Exodus links the Sabbath in Israel with the seventh day of creation in Genesis. This second question helps me to understand why you asked the first question.

Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns. For in six days the Lord made (asah) the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy. (Exodus 20:8-11 NIV)​
Second argument; My understanding is that God resting on the Seventh day of creation, is distinguished from the Sabbath, which was given as a sign of that rest.
Scriptures contradict that the Sabbath is linked back to creation. Moses who wrote Genesis made it clear both when and to whom the Sabbath was first given. Exo 16:29 “See! For the LORD has given you the Sabbath; therefore He gives you on the sixth day bread for two days. Let every man remain in his place; let no man go out of his place on the seventh day.”
Ask yourself, Did Pharaoh and The Children of Israel keep the Sabbath in Egypt? Why not? Pharaoh new about adultery (SDA reasoning about the ten.) The fact that Sabbath was given after freedom from Egypt and before the Law at Sinai, should be considered as to why remember means keep.
The fact is; marriage is a creation institution proven by scriptures.
The word "remember" in Ex20:7 could also means 'keep' or 'observe' it does not mean exclusively mean "remember creation". The reason I can say that, is because Moses made it clear that the phrase "remember the Sabbath to keep it Holy" is the entire 4th commandment. The rest of the wording tells How and Why to keep the Sabbath. Here's proof. In Deut 5 Moses reminds them that He was an eyewitness...… and then repeats the ten as He remembered.
Deu 5:12
Keep the sabbath day to sanctify it, as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee.

My point is; Moses uses Keep and said it was God commanding them to keep the Sabbath going forward. He said nothing about remembering creation.

When the question WHY to keep the Sabbath is discussed, we're taken back to creation. Unfortunately the answer is: God rested on the 7th day, blessed and

(enough issues to discuss at once)​

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Bob S
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Cribstyl

Veteran
Jun 13, 2006
✟99,143.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
In my research about the Sabbath I have spoken to Jews and Rabbis. I have asked them about the 4th commandment.
Judaism 101: Shabbat
Jews primarily teach that God gave them The Sabbath as a sign that He created the world in 6 days and rested on the seventh day.
They claim that Sabbath is the only ceremonial commandment placed in the ten commandments.
They claim that the Sabbath command them to Remember that they were slaves and weekly resting makes them free.

SDA prophet Ellen White said
"The Sabbath was instituted in Eden, at the close of the first week, by three acts on the part of the Creator. First, God rested on the seventh day. Secondly, he placed his blessing upon the day. Thirdly, he sanctified the day of his rest. He rested on the seventh day, and in this set an example for man. He next blessed the day upon which he had rested. He then sanctified, or “set apart to a sacred use,” the day of his rest. He gave the first six days of the week to man, in which to obtain a livelihood, and reserved the seventh day to himself, to be used sacredly by man" (God's Memorial 1,2)

Upvote 0

Cribstyl

Veteran
Jun 13, 2006
✟99,143.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Ellen White Said

"The Sabbath was instituted in Eden, at the close of the first week, by three acts on the part of the Creator. First, God rested on the seventh day. Secondly, he placed his blessing upon the day. Thirdly, he sanctified the day of his rest. He rested on the seventh day, and in this set an example for man. He next blessed the day upon which he had rested. He then sanctified, or “set apart to a sacred use,” the day of his rest. He gave the first six days of the week to man, in which to obtain a livelihood, and reserved the seventh day to himself, to be used sacredly by man" {GOME 1.2}

Jesus did not get the EGW memo, He told us what the word of God can also prove.
Jhn 7:22 - Moses therefore gave unto you circumcision; (not because it is of Moses, but of the fathers;) and ye on the sabbath day circumcise a man.
Jhn 7:23 - If a man on the sabbath day receive circumcision, that the law of Moses should not be broken; are ye angry at me, because I have made a man every whit whole on the sabbath day?

Comments on above texts
When accused of breaking the Sabbath, Jesus made it clear why the works of circumcision performed on the Sabbath ( when it falls on the 8th day).
Jesus said; circumcision was a commandment passed down from the fathers (Abraham). If Sabbath was passed down from creation or preceded circumcision Jesus was wrong.

For circumcision and Sabbath to coexist, one or the other would have to give way when it falls on the Sabbath. Jesus makes it clear that circumcision trumps Sabbath because it was passed down from the fathers.

Gen 17:10- This is my covenant, which ye shall keep, between me and you and thy seed after thee; Every man child among you shall be circumcised.
Gen 17:11 - And ye shall circumcise the flesh of your foreskin; and it shall be a token of the covenant betwixt me and you.

Scripture above shows where God commanded Abraham to circumcise all males on the 8th day of birth as a sign of a covenant. Notice that God is not silent about His covenants. Where is God commanding the Sabbath to Abraham? (Abraham's father worshipped other Gods)
Exo 31:13 - Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the LORD that doth sanctify you.
Exo 31:14 - Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people.

The fact of scriptures showing us that God gave Sabbath through Moses, as a sign of a covenant. This establishes in scripture which covenant came before and after.
When the Children of Israel was leaving Egypt, God commanded: the strangers who joins with you must be circumcised. (no Sabbath mentioned)
According to Genesis and Ex no Sabbath commandment is given until after freedom from Egypt.(Ex12)
Moses told us about the first Sabbath. EX 16.
Jesus reinforces these facts in John 7.

If scriptures are true, Sabbath was not instituted in creation.
Come, let's reason together.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

guevaraj

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2019
Berrien Springs
Visit site
✟542,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
sir, I don't have scriptures to understand where you're coming from.
Brother, everything is in my book: "Proof of God in the International Date Line: Site of our Origin", available on all major platforms. There is a way to get access to my book for free in "Readers' Favorite". In short, a day in Genesis is from the first light to light again in the morning, establishing the days of creation from morning to morning:

And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness. God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day. (Genesis 1:3-5 NIV)​

We cannot force God in the last sentence to mean “night” when God wrote “evening” and force God to mean “day” when God wrote “morning” at the end of the first day, inconsistent with the word "evening" used by God in Leviticus below, which begins and ends a period and is not a period in itself as “night” or “day”. Forced is the meaning of "night" to replace the word “evening” in contradiction with God’s use of the word in Leviticus. What the Scriptures really show is that from evening until morning, God has nothing to report, the half day period of darkness that God called “night”, because God stopped creating every “night” and only has something to report during the previous light period from morning to evening. The half day period of "night" from evening until morning ends the first day that began with the half day period of light from morning until evening. Every day of the creation week, God has much to report about His creating during the period of light, setting the first day from the first light to the light again in the morning and the days after from morning to morning. With respect to your other concerns, this discovery affects all Christian thoughts on the Sabbath. The Holy Spirit is revealing the present truth on the Sabbath in preparation for the soon return of Jesus that we had never had before, finally resolving the Sunday debate against Saturday.

It is a day of sabbath rest for you, and you must deny yourselves. From the evening of the ninth day of the month until the following evening you are to observe your sabbath.” (Leviticus 23:32 NIV)​

Upvote 0

Cribstyl

Veteran
Jun 13, 2006
✟99,143.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Brother, everything is in my book: "Proof of God in the International Date Line: Site of our Origin", available on all major platforms. There is a way to get access to my book for free in "Readers' Favorite". In short, a day in Genesis is from the first light to light again in the morning, establishing the days of creation from morning to morning:

And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness. God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day. (Genesis 1:3-5 NIV)​

We cannot force God in the last sentence to mean “night” when God wrote “evening” and force God to mean “day” when God wrote “morning” at the end of the first day, inconsistent with the word "evening" used by God in Leviticus below, which begins and ends a period and is not a period in itself as “night” or “day”. Forced is the meaning of "night" to replace the word “evening” in contradiction with God’s use of the word in Leviticus. What the Scriptures really show is that from evening until morning, God has nothing to report, the half day period of darkness that God called “night”, because God stopped creating every “night” and only has something to report during the previous light period from morning to evening. The half day period of "night" from evening until morning ends the first day that began with the half day period of light from morning until evening. Every day of the creation week, God has much to report about His creating during the period of light, setting the first day from the first light to the light again in the morning and the days after from morning to morning. With respect to your other concerns, this discovery affects all Christian thoughts on the Sabbath. The Holy Spirit is revealing the present truth on the Sabbath in preparation for the soon return of Jesus that we had never had before, finally resolving the Sunday debate against Saturday.

It is a day of sabbath rest for you, and you must deny yourselves. From the evening of the ninth day of the month until the following evening you are to observe your sabbath.” (Leviticus 23:32 NIV)​

Brother Jorge
I am considering ending our dialog because you're ignoring my responses.
It appears to me that you have not addressed the events of the first day because of many contradictions. Here are what appears to be the events of the first day,
Gen 1:3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
Gen 1:4 And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.
Gen 1:5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

Jorge, we only read the 4 things happening before the first day ends according to the scriptures above.
1. God said let there be light.
2. God saw the light was good
3. God divided the light from the darkness
4. God call the light day and darkness night.

We can say that God did one thing on the first day. God spoke light into the darkness and called the light day and darkness light.

Your claim is this :
"Before creation week light was called first light...……. The earth already existed before the 7 days of creation."

Have I paraphrased you accurately? Can you explain the time before the first day?
Come, let us reason together.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cribstyl

Veteran
Jun 13, 2006
✟99,143.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Jorge said to BobS said:
The Bible opposes your unsubstantiated assumption as inconsistent with Matthew 5, where Jesus says He has come to remove nothing of the ten commandments and begins to add to the ten commandments stating that our “righteousness” is to surpass that of our predecessors. You are removing the “righteousness” of our predecessors instead of surpassing it as Jesus demands by Jesus adding to the demands already revealed in the ten commandments.
Hmmmm, those are some pretty strong words from someone who could be wrong about Matt 5.

17 Think not that I came to destroy the law or the prophets: I came not to destroy, but to fulfil.
18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass away from the law, till all things be accomplished.

Jorge, In the context I believe Jesus was saying; "I have not come to destroy by changing even a comma from what is written in books of the Law (Gen-Deut) and the books of the Prophets (Joshua- Malachi). I am here to fulfill every word in the Old Testament. Jorge if anything changes, God made a mistake or lied.

Jorge, the books of the Law and the Prophet say that God will give a New Covenant. (that changes the law) Speaking of Jesus, Moses said : A prophet shall the Lord raise up and everyone will listen to Him. Jeremiah prophesied the new covenant. So we can see what was written in the OT.

NT Scriptures say.
Gal 3:17
And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect.
Gal 3:18 For if the inheritance be of the law, it is no more of promise: but God gave it to Abraham by promise.
Gal 3:19 ¶ Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.

Jorge, the promise to Abraham preceded the law, so the law was not a condition of the promise.
The law was added through the hands of Moses because of the transgression of the COI after freedom from Egypt. Jorge, the law served until Jesus was crucified.
Come let us reason together.

Last edited:
Upvote 0