Is the play Book of Mormon mocking of faith?

rejoiceinfaith

Aug 3, 2018
Southeast
✟13,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
A friend has asked me to go with her to see this musical. I'm not Mormon, but I don't want to go to any play that mocks the belief in God. I can't tell from researching if this one does, but stories say "parody" so it makes me think so. If it is, I don't want to go. Most of the reviews are very good but they're from secular sources so I don't trust them. It does say there is explicit language, which is probably enough for me to decline. Has anyone here seen it?

Terri Dactyl

Aug 27, 2022
Midwest
✟47,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Celibate
Well there is a song in there that says something very bad to the Lord.. I don't even want to write the name of the song--when I hear it now, I push it out of my mind. There is a playlist on youtube.

I saw it before I came back to Christ. I wouldn't watch it now

Last edited:
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟559,210.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Have you seen South Park? If so, then you can get the vibe.

It’s been several years since I’ve seen it, but from what I can recall, no, it doesn’t mock faith per se. It does mock certain trappings of organized religion; and it is very irreverent and very, very crude; but I don’t recall it mocking faith itself. (though it’s possible I’m forgetting something)

To explain the difference: IMO there’s a difference between saying “god is fake and anybody who believes in him is stupid” and saying “your church does some doofy stuff; here are some joke about it”. BOM is the latter.

Musically, it’s very well executed. But TBH, I would imagine that, if you’re asking this question, the degree of crudeness would be a major turnoff, regardless of whether you’re okay with other elements.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,752,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
ADVISOR HAT

This thread was moved from Current News & Events to The Junk Drawer. Please note that the Statement of Purpose for Current News & Events includes, and note what I made red and bold:
The Current News & Events forum in the Discussion & Debate for Christians Category is for Christian members to discuss newsworthy events that are currently taking place in the world with other Christians. All news and current events must be documented or validated with a link to a credible online news source (articles and not videos) in the original post (OP). Political discussions with other Christians should be discussed in the Christians only Politics forum.
Please pay attention to the Statement of Purpose in the future.

Upvote 0

rejoiceinfaith

Aug 3, 2018
Southeast
✟13,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Have you seen South Park? If so, then you can get the vibe.

It’s been several years since I’ve seen it, but from what I can recall, no, it doesn’t mock faith per se. It does mock certain trappings of organized religion; and it is very irreverent and very, very crude; but I don’t recall it mocking faith itself. (though it’s possible I’m forgetting something)

To explain the difference: IMO there’s a difference between saying “god is fake and anybody who believes in him is stupid” and saying “your church does some doofy stuff; here are some joke about it”. BOM is the latter.

Musically, it’s very well executed. But TBH, I would imagine that, if you’re asking this question, the degree of crudeness would be a major turnoff, regardless of whether you’re okay with other elements.
Thank you. After reading some reviews from people have seen it, I've decided not to go. There are offensive lines about having sex with African children. That's enough for me to give it a hard pass.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Of course, it's all ...about the Son!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,135,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A friend has asked me to go with her to see this musical. I'm not Mormon, but I don't want to go to any play that mocks the belief in God. I can't tell from researching if this one does, but stories say "parody" so it makes me think so. If it is, I don't want to go. Most of the reviews are very good but they're from secular sources so I don't trust them. It does say there is explicit language, which is probably enough for me to decline. Has anyone here seen it?

More precisely, it mocks Mormonism, but it does so in a way that is all too easily transferable to the ways in which Christians might hold their beliefs, especially if they do so from a firm, Fundamentalist point of view.

If you're easily made to feel uncomfortable, I'd suggest you not see the play. I saw The Book of Mormon on Broadway in New York City in 2014, and while the play was produced well, I went into it thinking it'd be the same general audience that was present at the other play I saw the same week. It wasn't. In fact, I could tell from the all too constant [and widespread] hollering and hoopla that a primarily atheistic and/or secular crowd made up the audience.

Even I--an existentialist-- was a little uncomfortable with the ascerbic tone permeating the stage and the auditorium the whole time I sat there ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0