Is the gospel more than 1 Corinthians 15:1-4?

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,741.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The problem I have with the many different gospels view is that Paul says if any man preach another gospel let him be accursed (See: Galatians 1:8). So there can only be one gospel and not many.

That verse is so widely misunderstood.

Galatians 1:8-9

8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

9 As we said before, so say I now again, if any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

Paul is actually saying if the gentiles are preached another gospel other than the one what they are receiving from Paul, let the preacher be accused. (See Galatians 2:9 in context)

Can you see you are misinterpreting it to mean "Paul also said if anyone preach any other Gospel, let him be accursed"?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,741.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Also, how is the Millennium good news? Sure, I am not knocking the fact that it will be really awesome because Jesus will be living and reigning for 1,000 years, but there is also a testing period at the end of the Millennium with a final war with Satan being loosed out of the bottomless pit to tempt the nations. This is why the good news is NOW. The good news is abiding in Christ and believing that He died for our sins, He was buried, and risen the third day. That’s the good news because Jesus saves us from our sins, and by the power of the gospel (we can truly know the depths of God’s love), and answer the call of the gospel to do God the Father’s will by the power of the Spirit.

Note: The call of the gospel is not the same thing as the gospel itself.

How is the Millennium good news for Israel?

Let me just use Psalms 103:1-5 to illustrate why that is good news for the nation

Bless the Lord, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name.

2 Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits:

3 Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases;

4 Who redeemeth thy life from destruction; who crowneth thee with lovingkindness and tender mercies;

5 Who satisfieth thy mouth with good things; so that thy youth is renewed like the eagle's.

If you are a member of the House of Israel and you are aware that you will receive all these benefits during the Millennial reign of Christ, is it reasonable to say that is VERY good news?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I recall and it looks like you do a lot of research in your studies. I approach you with respect for this understanding. Before I get into any or part of the work you're requesting, I'd like to tell and ask you a few things:

Regarding these 2 quotes from your posts:
  1. Please know that I won't be using BlueLetterBible for my research. I'll be using some exegetically oriented software I've used for some time. I think our findings should be pretty close in any searches we might do
I use BlueLetterBible for keyword searches primarily. I do not trust the Strong’s Dictionary always because it can be inaccurate. One example is their definition on the word “repent” is not accurate.

Here is my biblical case for repentance.

You said:
  1. I note that it looks like you are quoting from the King James Bible above. It would be helpful if you would verify this and identify what translation you are searching. I may join your use, look at different English translations, look at Greek texts. I'll let you know what I'm referencing.
I do prefer the KJB, and only use Modern English Bibles to help update what the KJB is saying. Looking up the Greek word is usually extremely rare for me and it is only necessary when looking at an extremely difficult word that is not as clear when reading the context in the English (i.e. in the King James Bible).

You said:
  1. Do you prefer the KJB? If so, a very short reason why would be helpful.
Yes, I prefer the KJB because I believe it is the perfect Word of God without errors and or flaws of any kind. I believe every letter and word is perfect in the 1900 Cambridge KJB Edition. From 1611 to the 1900 Cambridge KJB Edition there were seven purifications (seven KJB editions) getting rid of the subtle corruptions and or imperfections by men. Psalms 12:6-7 says that the words of the Lord are purified seven times and that His words would be preserved forever. I have come up with 101 reasons for the King James Bible being the pure Word of God for today (even though I do use Modern English bibles to compare so as to see what the KJB is saying in certain places).

You said:
  1. Are you aware that the article ("the") is not necessarily used in Greek as it is in English and in Latin?
Do you believe that when God translated the different languages at Pentecost that it was done so imperfectly or perfectly? In the book of Jeremiah, we learn that God told Jeremiah to recreate (re-write) another scroll of God’s written words that were destroyed by the king. What is interesting is that God told Jeremiah to add NEW words to that re-written copy that was to replace the destroyed one. Meaning, God can edit His own Word as He sees fit. So when we see words like “the” it is God preserving His words. We know the doctrine of preservation is taught in the Bible (Psalms 12:6-7, 1 Peter 1:23-25, Matthew 24:35). Are you aware that Jesus read from Isaiah and yet the Ethiopian enuch also had a reading of Isaiah? So they both had COPIES of Isaiah and not the originals. In the story of Acts involving the enuch and Philip, the Isaiah portion he had was called, “Scripture.” Daniel refers to the Scriptures as… the Scripture of truth and not the Scriptures of semi-truth or partial-truth (See: Daniel 10:21).

You said:
  1. Did you do any searches other than for "gospel"?
If we are going to attempt to figure out what the word “gospel” means we need to focus our main attention on how that word appears in context and it’s use as a whole in Scripture. I also ask God to help bring to my attention anything I may have missed, and He will at times bring up a verse or passage for me to focus on, too. So this can lead to looking at other related things of the gospel like the love of God (Which is the core motivation behind the gospel). It’s also good to think about what the gospel means. It means… good news. So does our gospel align with it being good news? If you believe in doing other word searches and how that helps you, then please explain. I believe that other words can relate to the gospel like the resurrection, but we have to understand that the gospel must be defined. We can make all kinds of assumptions about the gospel in places that do not have that word, but that is not a good way to define a word. The word needs to be attached to a definition given to us in the Bible.

For me: The one and only clearest place of where the gospel is defined is in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4.
Some have tried to include the following verses (i.e. 1 Corinthians 15:5-8) but I just do not see how that fits. Believing the eye witness accounts alone does not appear to save us. That is not the core of what saves. For do eye witnesses in of themselves just save? This is why I believe that the central message of the gospel that saves is Christ’s death, burial, and resurrection. This is what saves. For it’s all about believing in Christ’s redemption. It’s all about grace.

You said:
  1. In light of #5, did you check to see if there was any other way the original word for "gospel" was translated?
Yes. It’s still just the gospel when you look to see if there is another English word for the same Greek word. There are no other English words.

You said:
  1. Did you include in your search how the gospel may be under discussion in the Text without using the word "gospel"?
Yes, doing this is very important to me but I have not always found need to do it in every instance unless I run into a contradiction with the same word. I have in the past at times left the space blank for the word and fill in the best possible meaning to fit the context. One good example of this is the word “repent.”

full

You said:
Thanks in advance for your answers.

Your welcome, and may God bless you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How is the Millennium good news for Israel?

Let me just use Psalms 103:1-5 to illustrate why that is good news for the nation

Bless the Lord, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name.

2 Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits:

3 Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases;

4 Who redeemeth thy life from destruction; who crowneth thee with lovingkindness and tender mercies;

5 Who satisfieth thy mouth with good things; so that thy youth is renewed like the eagle's.

If you are a member of the House of Israel and you are aware that you will receive all these benefits during the Millennial reign of Christ, is it reasonable to say that is VERY good news?

Again, we run into the problem again of you needing to connect the word “gospel” with it being defined this way. Do you have a Scripture that specifically says your preferred definition is tied to the gospel? How do you explain Paul saying that if we or an angel preach another gospel… let him be accursed?

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,741.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Again, we run into the problem again of you needing to connect the word “gospel” with it being defined this way. Do you have a Scripture that specifically says your preferred definition is tied to the gospel? How do you explain Paul saying that if we or an angel preach another gospel… let him be accursed?

gospel simply means "good news".

I have already addressed your Galatians 1:8 misunderstanding here

https://www.christianforums.com/thr...inthians-15-1-4.8196827/page-11#post-76535855

Upvote 0

GDL

Jul 25, 2020
SE
✟105,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you believe that when God translated the different languages at Pentecost that it was done so imperfectly or perfectly?

Thanks for the response.

Since this is one of your only questions back to me: I believe God did what He did at Pentecost, and He did it as He so desired. No, I don't believe we have a purified English translation. I will say that I do not use the 1900 Cambridge but will look to see if I have it in any of the digital libraries I have.

It looks like BlueLetter uses the public domain 1611, 1769 version, so you're searching the same version I'm searching. I don't know if you've compared your search results to the 1900. My comments will be based upon the search version of the KJV (1611, 1769):
  • To see all the places "gospel" (good news) is found it's necessary to also search: good tidings; glad tidings; preach(ed)(ing); declared. These are some different ways the KJV translates the same word that it also translates as "gospel."
  • In your search, did you see "gospel" in Acts 5:42? Here's the KJV and the NET translations. The NET is more consistent and accurate:
KJV Acts 5:42 And daily in the temple, and in every house, they ceased not to teach and preach Jesus Christ.

NET Acts 5:42 And every day both in the temple courts and from house to house, they did not stop teaching and proclaiming the good news that Jesus was the Christ. (Acts 5:42 NET)​
  • This is an example of what I was pointing out with 1 Corinthians 13; Acts 13, 18. Earlier in 1Cor, Paul clearly and specifically says the foundation that needs to be laid is: Jesus [is] Christ. This verse in Acts 5 is confirming that this was taking place and we can see that this is what Paul was doing in Acts 13 and 18.
You're saying 1Cor15 is the "heart" of the Gospel and I pause when I hear this, but I can work with it. The heart means it's part of the Gospel, not The Gospel.

Paul says the foundation needs to be placed and then built upon properly. Paul also essentially says in Romans 1 that the resurrection is proof that Jesus is Messiah and God. John for one says the same thing using Jesus' words. Paul in Acts 13 clearly provides detail that explains not only what Christ means, but also details that point to His being the Eternal Davidic King. This of course ties into your statements that Jesus is the King and Kingdom that was also being proclaimed as Good News.

Simply put, for this post, there's a foundation that is being laid that is not the heart. In fact, the heart language you prefer as the Gospel, has Paul pointing back to what he had previously taught and proclaimed to the Corinthians, which included the foundation and the heart. In 1Cor15 Paul is merely and clearly just correcting and shoring up the vital importance of the resurrection to our Faith. Per Paul, without the resurrection Jesus is not the Christ and King and Savior (foundation language), so we've got nothing to build upon (1Cor3).

God, King, Savior, etc., to whom all knees shall bow in faithful obedience, came to earth as a human child, grew, died for our sins (lawless disobedience), was buried, and was resurrected proving who He is, showing us our future with Him in His new creation by His grace and mercy through faith in Him.

Of course, a lot more can be added, because there is more to the Good News of God - the Good News of Jesus Christ. But the foundation needs to be laid that this is God who has provided the way for those who He foreknew would love Him (Romans 8), which is to obey Him (1 John 5).

1 Corinthians 15 is not The Gospel, but a vital part of both the foundational and complete Gospel Paul proclaims. 15 is Paul excerpting from part of his foundational gospel to correct some dangerous, erroneous thinking about the resurrection.

We need the foundation and the heart and ultimately the entirety of the Good News. If we desire to approach evangelizing in certain ways at certain times for certain reasons, we certainly can. But to narrow it down and leave out the foundation, which presents the authority of God and His Christ, leaves a cracked foundation. With 1 Cor 15, at least get the foundational points of authority orientation out there through an explanation of who and what Christ is (not explained in 1Cor15:1-4), and what sin is (died for our sins in 1Cor15:1-4) - another authority issue. Your original post back to me was about love and emotion. This is only one of many approaches. But what I see severely lacking in our time, IMO, is people who have been properly oriented to the absolute and sovereign authority of Christ - of God. Per Paul (and others) this is foundational. There are many who think they love God, but do not do what He says and think they've got a clear path to eternity anyway.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the response.

Since this is one of your only questions back to me: I believe God did what He did at Pentecost, and He did it as He so desired.

I believe it is consistent with the character of God that if He translated perfectly back in the past, He continues to do so in recent history (with the bringing in of a perfect Bible).

You said:
No, I don't believe we have a purified English translation.

If you don’t have a perfect Bible, then how do you decide if you have the correct doctrines or not?
What makes you decide what is true or false in God’s Word?
I believe without a perfect Bible: We will always be questioning what is in the Bible vs. Just believing in the Bible.

You said:
I will say that I do not use the 1900 Cambridge but will look to see if I have it in any of the digital libraries I have.

The King James Bible listed at Biblehub.com is the 1900 Cambridge Edition KJB provided by BibleProtector.com. The author of BibleProtector.com came up with the teaching that there are seven KJB Editions as a part of the seven purifications of the words of the Lord in Psalms 12:6-7.

www.bibleprotector.com/forum • View topic - Seven major purifications of the KJB

You said:
It looks like BlueLetter uses the public domain 1611, 1769 version, so you're searching the same version I'm searching. I don't know if you've compared your search results to the 1900. My comments will be based upon the search version of the KJV (1611, 1769):
  • To see all the places "gospel" (good news) is found it's necessary to also search: good tidings; glad tidings; preach(ed)(ing); declared. These are some different ways the KJV translates the same word that it also translates as "gospel."
I was tired last night, and I did a fast search at BlueLetterBible, and not a deep one and so I missed that there were other different Strong Numbers for the word “gospel.” I looked them up this morning. Thank you for catching the other Strong numbers.

Anyways, the most noteworthy one on Strong’s G2097 is Acts of the Apostles 13:32-33 in that it refers to the resurrection which simply points us back to 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 (Which I believe is the gospel clearly defined in the Bible).

Acts of the Apostles 13:32-33
“And we declare unto you glad tidings [G2097], how that the promise which was made unto the fathers,
God hath fulfilled the same unto us their children, in that he hath raised up Jesus again; as it is also written in the second psalm, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee.”

You said:
  • In your search, did you see "gospel" in Acts 5:42? Here's the KJV and the NET translations. The NET is more consistent and accurate:
KJV Acts 5:42 And daily in the temple, and in every house, they ceased not to teach and preach Jesus Christ.

NET Acts 5:42 And every day both in the temple courts and from house to house, they did not stop teaching and proclaiming the good news that Jesus was the Christ. (Acts 5:42 NET)

I believe the gospel in it’s most simplistic form is Jesus being the Savior or the Messiah (i.e. a proto-gospel). This is the gospel preached before the cross and after the cross, we know that Paul revealed a more fuller version of the gospel for us in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 (even though this gospel in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 was preached in some form in Acts 2, Acts 5, and Acts 10. 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 does not disconnect or not include Jesus as the Savior. It is still Jesus as the Savior but it is giving us more fuller details.

Now, I agree that the NET Translation is more clear on this particular instance in the Bible (i.e. Acts of the Apostles 5:42). However, while Modern bibles can be helpful in clearing up what the KJB says at times, at the end of the day, the NET Bible cannot be our final word of authority because the NET has shown to be corrupt by way of comparison to the more trustworthy KJB in many places.

In the NET: The word “Godhead” (a.k.a. Trinity) is changed to divine nature, or deity, etcetera in Romans 1:20, Acts of the Apostles 17:29, Colossians 2:9 (Which makes one more sympathetic to New Age Christianity that is wrongfully being taught in the churches today).

In the NET: 1 Timothy 3:16 removes God from “God was manifest in the flesh” and changes it to “He was revealed in the flesh.” This is an subtle watering down of the deity of Christ in our bibles and when we are out witnessing putting the Word into action against folks like the JW’s, the more ammunition you have with the Word in having more witnesses in Scripture to teach them that Jesus is God… the better.

In the NET: John 3:16 says that Jesus is the one and only Son of God the Father. This is false. God the Father has many sons, for we are called the sons of God. The KJB more accurately renders the most beloved verse by Christians and tells us that Jesus is the only BEGOTTEN Son. This is also important because it more clearly uplifts the Incarnation.

In fact, the NET bible dilutes the truth of the virgin birth by attacking Isaiah 7:14. It says young woman instead of virgin (Which is one of the top most popular Messianic prophecies).

The NET also makes Jesus who was in the fire with Daniels’ three friends as being described like a pagan god instead of the Son of God in Daniel 3:25.

In the NET: Most Modern bibles (that use the Corrupt Critical Text) removes the one and only verse on the Trinity (i.e. 1 John 5:7). So if I was on an island (and had no clue about the Trinity), and had a NET Bible, I would not know about the Trinity. But if I had a KJB, my chances of knowing about the Trinity would be greater seeing I had an actual clear verse explaining it.

In the NET: Micah 5:2 is altered to make the Messiah (i.e. Jesus) to have an origin or beginning (Supporting the false demi-god Jesus viewpoint or the false idea that Jesus is a second created God). It says this by saying the Messiah is from the distant past. However, the KJB says that the Messiah (Bethlehem Ephratah) is from everlasting.

Anyways, I will have to address the rest of what you wrote later (Seeing this post has grown rather lengthy at this point).

May God bless you in the meantime.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
However, while Modern bibles can be helpful in clearing up what the KJB says at times, at the end of the day, the NET Bible cannot be our final word of authority because the NET has shown to be corrupt by way of comparison to the more trustworthy KJB in many places.

Still with the same error. You cannot compare the KJV to other Bibles because the KJV is not itself original. It is a translation, just like the ones you are comparing it to.

You err from the start because it is a false equivalency.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You're saying 1Cor15 is the "heart" of the Gospel and I pause when I hear this, but I can work with it. The heart means it's part of the Gospel, not The Gospel.

I disagree. When I say that 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 is the heart of the gospel, I am saying that it is the gospel. I am not saying it is some meager or beggarly or minor element or part. I am saying that it is the most vital part or centre of spiritual life. It is the foundation. It is how we first get saved. The gospel is the power of God unto salvation to everyone who believes it (Romans 1:16).

The word “heart” at Lexico.com (Oxford Dictionary) that Google uses defines it as:

The vital part or essence.​

Source:
HEART English Definition and Meaning | Lexico.com

CollinsDictionary.com defines it as:

The heart of something is the most central and important part of it.​

Source:
Heart definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary

At Webster’s 1913 website, it lists the WordNet Dictionary definition as:

The choicest or most essential or most vital part of some idea or experience; "the gist of the prosecutor's argument"; "the heart and soul of the Republican Party"; "the nub of the story"​

Source:
Heart | Definition of Heart by Webster's Online Dictionary

At KingJamesBibleDictionary.com, it lists the Easton’s Bible Dictionary as saying:

According to the Bible, the heart is the centre not only of spiritual activity, but of all the operations of human life.​

At KingJamesBibleDictionary.com, it lists the Webster’s 1828 as saying:

real intention.​

Source:
King James Bible Dictionary - Reference List - Heart

Think of your physical heart. It is the central organ of pumping blood to the rest of the body. It is the core operating organ. It is central to you having life. So it is with the gospel being the heart or centre of spiritual life. This is believing the message in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 and in it’s most basic form (i.e. more of a proto-gospel) it would be believing in Jesus as one’s Savior from sin.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That verse is so widely misunderstood.

Galatians 1:8-9

8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

9 As we said before, so say I now again, if any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

Paul is actually saying if the gentiles are preached another gospel other than the one what they are receiving from Paul, let the preacher be accused. (See Galatians 2:9 in context)

Can you see you are misinterpreting it to mean "Paul also said if anyone preach any other Gospel, let him be accursed"?

There is technically no Jew or Gentile in Christ.

“There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.” (Galatians 3:28).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Paul says the foundation needs to be placed and then built upon properly.

I believe the gospel is like a concrete slab foundation for a traditional stick built house (with the body of Christ being the house standing upon the foundation - which is Jesus and what He has done for us with His death, burial, and resurrection). I believe the gospel is the message or words found in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 in that Christ died for our sins, He was buried, and He was risen on the third day according to the Scriptures.

You said:
Paul also essentially says in Romans 1 that the resurrection is proof that Jesus is Messiah and God. John for one says the same thing using Jesus' words. Paul in Acts 13 clearly provides detail that explains not only what Christ means, but also details that point to His being the Eternal Davidic King. This of course ties into your statements that Jesus is the King and Kingdom that was also being proclaimed as Good News.

I believe this kind of belief in the gospel (in that the gospel includes Jesus ruling on the throne of David) is not practical in the here and now. It simply is reading the text and drawing the wrong conclusion without logically seeing how it actually works in real life. While no doubt it is wonderful and good news that Jesus will one day sit on the throne of David, it simply has not happened yet. That would be like saying… good news… something good is about to happen in the future that has not happened in the present yet. So that’s not really good news NOW. That would be future good news but not good news NOW. It would be like saying I will give you a brand new home 50 years from now, but you do not even know if you will live that long to see it. Even if you knew you would live to see the home many years in the future of your life, it would not be good news for you in the present because you do not possess that good news yet. It is still yet future. Granted, we know God will fulfill the promise of Jesus sitting on the throne of David and that will be wonderful indeed but we cannot experience the good news of that NOW. It has not happened yet. Jesus currently sits on the throne at the right hand of God the Father in Heaven.

Also, you have to actually find a verse in the Bible that says this: “And the gospel all of us apostles preach unto you is this: Jesus died for your sins, was buried, and risen three days later, and the Lord Jesus will sit upon the throne of David; Believe this message now, and live. For it is glad tidings of joy to believe this and rejoice.”

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,741.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is technically no Jew or Gentile in Christ.

“There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.” (Galatians 3:28).

There is no Jew and gentile in the body of Christ.

But do you accept you have misinterpreted Galatians 1:8? If you want to hold your ground, alright, we can move on from this point

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There is no Jew and gentile in the body of Christ.

But do you accept you have misinterpreted Galatians 1:8? If you want to hold your ground, alright, we can move on from this point

Galatians 1:8 is for both the Jew and Gentile seeing there is no Jew or Gentile in Christ. There is only one gospel and to preach another one means one is accursed. Serious stuff. I will stick to preaching what the Bible clearly defines as the gospel. The gospel is what we stand upon and it means good news NOW and not some far off future good news.

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,741.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Galatians 1:8 is for both the Jew and Gentile seeing there is no Jew or Gentile in Christ. There is only one gospel and to preach another one means one is accursed. Serious stuff. I will stick to preaching what the Bible clearly defines as the gospel. The gospel is what we stand upon and it means good news NOW and not some far off future good news.

But do you agree the nation of Israel is still only of the circumcised, as Galatians 2:7-9 distinguished?

You appear to be a covenant theologian who believes all of us are spiritual Israel. Would that be the correct understanding of your core belief?

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
That's the way BH, stick with the very simple gospel message and you cannot be in error. You will not be distracted and wander down a rabbit hole.

1 Corinthians 1:23
But we preach Christ crucified, to Jews a stumbling block, and to Gentiles foolishness,

1 Corinthians 2:2
For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GDL

Jul 25, 2020
SE
✟105,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe

I'm just using this quote to flag you post and save space.

Respectfully, it looks like we will not influence one another regarding Bible translations. I do not agree with your views regarding the King James, any versions, and just for reference have been working from Greek manuscripts for decades. I used the NET just because I quickly noticed it was more literal than the KJV 1611, which is inconsistent in how it translates the Greek into "gospel."

You originally asked me to show you a verse or verses that backed up my assertion regarding the foundation that Jesus is Christ. I did that and showed the KJV to be misleading in how it translated the applicable verse. I assumed you would disagree, and you did. Of course, we can both back up our positions from Scripture and I have already stated the vital importance of the resurrection.

I agreed with your use of "heart" as an accommodation for discussion after saying it gave me pause. I can appreciate that you have thought through your use of this word and have recognized how much you work and study. I can counter your use of heart [of the matter] or [physical] life and say the heart is nothing without the spirit - so is the spirit the most important part, or is the pump?

Really, all this is not important, but I appreciate and fully expect you to evidence hard work.

So, now I'll say it is my opinion that we should strip "heart" and say that 1Cor15:1-4 is a part of Paul's gospel - even a vital part that Paul uses to shore up the foundation that Jesus is the Christ - YHWH's Christ - the Eternal Davidic King - the Inheritor of the earth to whom all, including kings, shall bow in reverent obedience to.

The only Foundation stands. 1Cor15:1-4 is a vital part of what evidenced the Foundation - Jesus is Christ, King, God. Paul discussed both (and more) in his evangelizing. All is important. Only one part is said to be foundational that can be built upon. So, believe in Him and bow the knee and do what He says. Or choose not to and die in your sins. The Gospel is way more than 1Cor15:1-4.

Upvote 0

GDL

Jul 25, 2020
SE
✟105,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe the gospel is like a concrete slab foundation for a traditional stick built house (with the body of Christ being the house standing upon the foundation - which is Jesus and what He has done for us with His death, burial, and resurrection). I believe the gospel is the message or words found in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 in that Christ died for our sins, He was buried, and He was risen on the third day according to the Scriptures.

It's clear what you believe about 1Cor15. Thank you.

The death-burial-resurrection is a proof that Jesus is the Christ just as He said He was and just as Paul taught it was. If you want to say something like Jesus the resurrected Christ is the Foundation, I'm with you, as long as you explain why the title "Christ" is part of the foundation.

I believe this kind of belief in the gospel (in that the gospel includes Jesus ruling on the throne of David) is not practical in the here and now. It simply is reading the text and drawing the wrong conclusion without logically seeing how it actually works in real life.

And as soon as we start thinking we know better than what the Bible clearly teaches because things are different today, where does that thinking lead and where does it stop? I'll address the Davidic Kingship later in this post.

The message of the Bible from beginning to end is that God is God, and we are not. All of our problems are rooted in a lack of actual and proper authority orientation. This is what God is turning around in us in His new creation. As I mentioned earlier, if you want to use 1Cor15 as your approach, please at least let's be consistent with the language of the Text, that I think whatever translation we may use will tell us, "Christ" is a title of absolute authority, and sins (in 1Cor15) are rebellion and disobedience to that absolute authority. Again, this is foundational, and we don't build a structure on a heart, but properly on the solid and only foundation.

Also, you have to actually find a verse in the Bible that says this: “And the gospel all of us apostles preach unto you is this: Jesus died for your sins, was buried, and risen three days later, and the Lord Jesus will sit upon the throne of David; Believe this message now, and live. For it is glad tidings of joy to believe this and rejoice.”

No, I don't have to actually find one verse that says such a thing. I use the entirety of the Word of God, not just a single verse. With 1Cor15:1-4 as the single part of Scripture, I have no idea who and what "Christ" means or includes. I've asked many professing Christians, mostly after hearing that they were likely products of 1Cor15, what "Christ" means and signifies. Most, and nearly all could not answer me. Many of these had been in the "Church" for many years. I think I've shown you that Paul was not even using 1Cor15:1-4 as a stand-alone. Yes, he says it's vital. I thus agree. But he says something else is foundational and he says this 12 chapters before he wrote what we refer to as chapter 15.

Also, to clarify, I'm not saying we have to call Jesus the Davidic King right away. That was said to make a point to you that relates to who and what the Christ is. He's the Eternal King with all authority in Heaven and on earth. This eternality goes with His deity and being the Christ. It was part of Paul's more complete gospel to Jews and God-fearing Gentiles. If we need to change it up a bit for a different audience, then we're free to do so. I simply think it wise to not make up our own foundation because it's no longer applicable because God missed the fact that we would be here 2,000+ years later. If we're missing anything today, it's that Jesus/Christ is the absolute ruler of Heavan and the earth, and this includes every human on the planet in every age since His resurrection proved who He was and began the New Creation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,741.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's the way BH, stick with the very simple gospel message and you cannot be in error. You will not be distracted and wander down a rabbit hole.

But we preach Christ crucified, to Jews a stumbling block, and to Gentiles foolishness,

For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified.

How do you understand Galatians 2:7-9 KJV, the difference between:
  1. The gospel of the circumcision
  2. The gospel of the uncircumcision
Are they both the same gospel to you?

Upvote 0

GDL

Jul 25, 2020
SE
✟105,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

How about some context, which is normally a good practice:

1:1 Paul an Apostle of Jesus [the] Christ
1:2 To those who have been/are right now sanctified in Christ/Jesus
1:3 Lord Jesus/Christ
1:4 God's grace which was given to you in Christ/Jesus
1:6 The testimony of the Christ
1:7 awaiting the revelation of the Lord Jesus/Christ
1:8 the Day of our Lord Jesus [some manuscripts also add Christ]
1:9 God's Son Jesus/Christ our Lord
1:10 in the name of the Lord of us Jesus/Christ
1:12 some are saying I'm of Christ
1:13 The Christ is not divided, was crucified for you, you were baptized in His name
1:17 Christ sent Paul to proclaim Good News in a way that would not empty the cross of Christ
1:18 The message of the cross [of Christ] is God's power to the ones being saved

There's an awful lot of contextual information about who and what Jesus is, and indicating His authority before we get to 1:23. The foundation is well set before even the cross is mentioned. When does burial and resurrection get discussed specifically? A quick and not exhaustive search shows resurrection 5 chapters later in 6:14.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
How do you understand Galatians 2:7-9 KJV, the difference between:
  1. The gospel of the circumcision
  2. The gospel of the uncircumcision
Are they both the same gospel to you?
Of course, they are the same gospel. There has only been one, true gospel.

Romans 10:9-13
That if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation. For the Scripture says, “Whoever believes in Him will not be put to shame.” For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, abounding in riches for all who call on Him; for “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."

1 Corinthians 7:19
Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but what matters is the keeping of the commandments of God.

1 John 3:23-24
This is His commandment, that we believe in the name of His Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, just as He commanded us. The one who keeps His commandments remains in Him, and He in him. We know by this that He remains in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.

Upvote 0