Is the gospel more than 1 Corinthians 15:1-4?

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Update:

full

The mystery to this question has now been resolved.
See post #63 for my updated understanding on the gospel.

Last edited:

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The gospel is clearly defined for us in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4.

But there are three aspects of the gospel that appear to teach that there is more to the gospel than just 1 Corinthians 15:1-4.

#1. Galatians 2:14
Galatians 2:14 says, “But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews?”

A person can walk not according to the truth of the gospel.

#2. Romans 2:16
Romans 2:16 says, “In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.”​

There will be a day when God will judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to the gospel.

This could potentially mean that Romans 1:16-17 may be in reference to refer how righteous living is also included in the gospel.

#3. Romans 1:16-17
Romans 1:16-17 says,
16 “For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.”​

When we live by faith, we are doing more than just believing God’s Word, but we are doing God’s Word (See Hebrews 11). For 1 John 1:7 says that if we walk in the light (i.e. to love our brother) the blood of Jesus Christ cleanses us from all sin (See: 1 John 2:9-11 for the definition of walking in the light).​

Granted, I am not claiming to know with 100% certainty what Galatians 2:14, Romans 1:16-17, and Romans 2:16 are saying. But they appear to teach an aspect of the gospel that is not in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4. The gospel means good news. So it is good news being presented in Galatians 2:14, Romans 1:16-17, and Romans 2:16. What is your take on these verses? Is your interpretation supported by the context? Can you point out other cross references to back it up, too? I am looking for clarity on these three verses in what they plainly say in the English (Preferably the KJB).

Thank you all, and may God bless you greatly.

Side Note:

I did not bring up the gospel of the kingdom because I believe that is in reference to Jesus Christ (Who is the head of the body or the kingdom).
“And Paul dwelt two whole years in his own hired house, and received all that came in unto him, Preaching the kingdom of God, and teaching those things which concern the Lord Jesus Christ, with all confidence, no man forbidding him.” Acts 28:30–31 (KJV 1900)

Most today reject the gospel of the kingdom as taught by Christ and prefer the Pharisee's Millennial version.

• Agree
Reactions: Soyeong
Upvote 0

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
BibleHighlighter hello brother,

What do you think about this?

Hebrews 6: So let us stop going over the basic teachings about Christ again and again. Let us go on instead and become mature in our understanding. Surely we don’t need to start again with the fundamental importance of repenting from evil deeds and placing our faith in God. 2 You don’t need further instruction about baptisms, the laying on of hands, the resurrection of the dead, and eternal judgment. 3 And so, God willing, we will move forward to further understanding.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
“And Paul dwelt two whole years in his own hired house, and received all that came in unto him, Preaching the kingdom of God, and teaching those things which concern the Lord Jesus Christ, with all confidence, no man forbidding him.” Acts 28:30–31 (KJV 1900)

Most today reject the gospel of the kingdom as taught by Christ and prefer the Pharisee's Millennial version.

I believe the “kingdom of God" is Jesus Christ (Which can include the body of Christ). The gospel (good news) of the kingdom is Jesus.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
BibleHighlighter hello brother,

What do you think about this?

Hebrews 6: So let us stop going over the basic teachings about Christ again and again. Let us go on instead and become mature in our understanding. Surely we don’t need to start again with the fundamental importance of repenting from evil deeds and placing our faith in God. 2 You don’t need further instruction about baptisms, the laying on of hands, the resurrection of the dead, and eternal judgment. 3 And so, God willing, we will move forward to further understanding.

So are you saying that these things are all a part of the gospel?

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Galatians 2:14 says, “But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews?”

A person can walk not according to the truth of the gospel.​

Believing the gospel affects how we live. A living, saving faith does transform our behavior. So it is possible to live in such a way that betrays that we are not believing the gospel. Peter's behavior in separating from the gentiles showed that in that moment he was not believing the gospel that Paul lays out in 1 Corinthians 15.

Romans 2:16 says, “In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.”
There will be a day when God will judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to the gospel.

This could potentially mean that Romans 1:16-17 may be in reference to refer how righteous living is also included in the gospel.​

The return of Christ, the final judgment, and the New Heavens and New Earth are part of the gospel. This is what Paul means when he says that Jesus will judge "according to my gospel."

16 “For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.”
When we live by faith, we are doing more than just believing God’s Word, but we are doing God’s Word (See Hebrews 11). For 1 John 1:7 says that if we walk in the light (i.e. to love our brother) the blood of Jesus Christ cleanses us from all sin (See: 1 John 2:9-11 for the definition of walking in the light).​

I'm not sure what specifically you're trying to point out from Romans 1:16-17, but there is debate concerning what Paul means by "the righteousness of God". I believe Paul means "the justification that comes from God" or "how a person is made righteous before God." This is revealed in the gospel and it is "by faith" that a person is counted righteous.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Believing the gospel affects how we live. A living, saving faith does transform our behavior. So it is possible to live in such a way that betrays that we are not believing the gospel. Peter's behavior in separating from the gentiles showed that in that moment he was not believing the gospel that Paul lays out in 1 Corinthians 15.

The return of Christ, the final judgment, and the New Heavens and New Earth are part of the gospel. This is what Paul means when he says that Jesus will judge "according to my gospel."

I'm not sure what specifically you're trying to point out from Romans 1:16-17, but there is debate concerning what Paul means by "the righteousness of God". I believe Paul means "the justification that comes from God" or "how a person is made righteous before God." This is revealed in the gospel and it is "by faith" that a person is counted righteous.

The just shall live by faith. How do we read about how the saints lived out their faith in Hebrews 11? Was it a faith with no obedience? Is that how they lived out their faith? Did not Noah build an Ark based on faith? What would have happened to Noah if he refused to build an Ark? Would a belief alone in God saved Noah from a global flood if he did not step out in faith to build the Ark?

Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So are you saying that these things are all a part of the gospel?

Biblehighlighter, yes that is what Hebrews is saying.

We already know these things, when we read the Gospels. Jesus tells the prostitute to go and sin no more: turn from (Darkness) (Repent/change of mind) sin, place faith in God. We know that Jesus Christ is the one who baptizes. We know that an eternal judgement that God will judge rightly at the end of life by looking at our heart. We know that all people will be resurrected to either condemnation, or eternal life.

Not sure about the laying on of hands thing really myself but I look at it as no need in teaching it anymore.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
The just shall live by faith. How do we read about how the saints lived out their faith in Hebrews 11? Was it a faith with no obedience? Is that how they lived out their faith? Did not Noah build an Ark based on faith? What would have happened to Noah if he refused to build an Ark? Would a belief alone in God saved Noah from a global flood if he did not step out in faith to build the Ark?

Faith produces obedience.

"Obedience" without faith - the Pharisee version of obedience - is not true obedience at all.

"Faith" without obedience is not true faith.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Faith without love is dead, is that way I look at it. Not obedience. It's all the condition of the heart, whether you are loving yourself, or you love God, and love Others.

4 Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant 5 or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; 6 it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. 7 Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Faith without love is dead, is that way I look at it. Not obedience. It's all the condition of the heart, whether you are loving yourself, or you love God, and love Others.

4 Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant 5 or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; 6 it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. 7 Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Jesus says if you love me, keep my commandments (John 14:15). So Jesus defines love as obedience. So I respectfully disagree.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

We already know these things, when we read the Gospels. Jesus tells the prostitute to go and sin no more: turn from (Darkness) (Repent/change of mind) sin, place faith in God. We know that Jesus Christ is the one who baptizes. We know that an eternal judgement that God will judge rightly at the end of life by looking at our heart. We know that all people will be resurrected to either condemnation, or eternal life.

Not sure about the laying on of hands thing really myself but I look at it as no need in teaching it anymore.

The problem is that the nowhere is the word “gospel” used in Hebrews 6.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

The 4 gospels are each called the gospel, but that does not necessarily mean that the whole storyline is the gospel message that saves.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Believe what you want. It's up to you. Hopefully you'll grow in your knowledge.

Colossians 1:
9 For this cause we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding;

10 That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God;

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
1 Corinthians 15: Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;

2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

The Corinthian people received the gospel and accepted the Lord Jesus Christ as dying for our since, being buried and roe again.

They are told to keep faith in this because they to die with Christ, and raised again to new (spiritual) life, and to stay in faith of what the Lord Jesus Christ had taught. You go back and read in 1 Corinthians 13, you also realize that Paul probably met and hung around these people teaching them things.

Now when it comes to Hebrews, it talks about a progression of the faith. There are many scriptures that talk about progression in faith. After learning about the Gospel, and accepting the Lord Jesus Christ and the teachings he taught about forgiveness of others, about not judging others, about praying for your enemies, Jesus also sends the comforter for having faith and baptizes them in the holy spirit and fire. Jesus taught about Loving God, and Loving others. Jesus talks about resurrection from the dead, for unbelievers, and believers all people will be resurrected and judged fairly by God.

(Just because it doesn't say gospel shouldn't matter you should be able to discern by the spirit and tell what is being said) ~ God bless on your journey.

If you do not believe these things that is okay, or maybe you are someone who likes to put things in order I do not know, though hopefully one day you will understand.

God bless!

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Believe what you want. It's up to you. Hopefully you'll grow in your knowledge.

Colossians 1:
9 For this cause we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding;

10 That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God;

I don’t doubt we need to enter the Sanctification process after we are saved by God’s grace. I believe Sanctification is a part of salvation. So yes. It is very important.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don’t doubt we need to enter the Sanctification process after we are saved by God’s grace. I believe Sanctification is a part of salvation. So yes. It is very important. My goal is to find out what the Bible says more about the gospel in relation to Romans 1:16-17, Romans 2:16, and Galatians 2:14. I am prepared that there may not be a clear answer and we have to accept what tidbits of truth we have about the gospel. For we do look through a glass darkly.

For me: If it is not clearly spelled out, I do not like to jump to conclusions. I prefer to continue to examine and discuss such challenging Scriptures.

Biblehighlighter brother hi again, thank you for being clear. Your Goal is to understand Romans 1:16-17; Romans 2:16; Galatians 2:14 in response of it pertaining to the Gospel?

Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of this Good News about Christ. It is the power of God at work, saving everyone who believes—the Jew first and also the Gentile. 17 This Good News tells us how God makes us right in his sight. This is accomplished from start to finish by faith. As the Scriptures say, “It is through faith that a righteous person has life.”

Walking in the spirit : You go from Romans 1 - 8. Romans 2 talks about people who are judgemental of others while confessing believer then it progresses from there talking about the spirit and living by it.

Romans 2:16 16 And this is the message I proclaim—that the day is coming when God, through Christ Jesus, will judge everyone’s secret life.

The day of death will come for each individual and every secret in the heart will be revealed.

Galatians 2:14
14 When I saw that they were not following the truth of the gospel message, I said to Peter in front of all the others, “Since you, a Jew by birth, have discarded the Jewish laws and are living like a Gentile, why are you now trying to make these Gentiles follow the Jewish traditions?

When you progress on down to verse 20 it starts talking about how Christ Jesus live with in us. Jesus Christ did say he would send the comforter. God send the holy spirit, and we also have the Spirit of Christ with-in us along with a spiritual body.

This message is also trying to make people follow Jewish traditions and put them back into slavery rather than the freedom found in Christ Jesus walking by the spirit of him with-in them.

I do not know everything but have studied the new testament a lot in my life. Just never finished books of acts.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
1 Corinthians 15: Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;

2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

The Corinthian people received the gospel and accepted the Lord Jesus Christ as dying for our since, being buried and roe again.

They are told to keep faith in this because they to die with Christ, and raised again to new (spiritual) life, and to stay in faith of what the Lord Jesus Christ had taught. You go back and read in 1 Corinthians 13, you also realize that Paul probably met and hung around these people teaching them things.

Now when it comes to Hebrews, it talks about a progression of the faith. There are many scriptures that talk about progression in faith. After learning about the Gospel, and accepting the Lord Jesus Christ and the teachings he taught about forgiveness of others, about not judging others, about praying for your enemies, Jesus also sends the comforter for having faith and baptizes them in the holy spirit and fire. Jesus taught about Loving God, and Loving others. Jesus talks about resurrection from the dead, for unbelievers, and believers all people will be resurrected and judged fairly by God.

(Just because it doesn't say gospel shouldn't matter you should be able to discern by the spirit and tell what is being said) ~ God bless on your journey.

If you do not believe these things that is okay, or maybe you are someone who likes to put things in order I do not know, though hopefully one day you will understand.

God bless!

I believe all verses in my Bible are 100% true and without error. So of course I accept the love of God and loving others and the resurrection, etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paul4JC

the Sun of Righteousness will rise with healing
Apr 5, 2020
California
✟164,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

The gospel is clearly defined for us in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4.

But there are three aspects of the gospel that appear to teach that there is more to the gospel than just 1 Corinthians 15:1-4.

A person can walk not according to the truth of the gospel.

Romans 2:16 says, “In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.”​

This could potentially mean that Romans 1:16-17 may be in reference to refer how righteous living is also included in the gospel.

17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.”​

Granted, I am not claiming to know with 100% certainty what Galatians 2:14, Romans 1:16-17, and Romans 2:16 are saying. But they appear to teach an aspect of the gospel that is not in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4. The gospel means good news. So it is good news being presented in Galatians 2:14, Romans 1:16-17, and Romans 2:16. What is your take on these verses? Is your interpretation supported by the context? Can you point out other cross references to back it up, too? I am looking for clarity on these three verses in what they plainly say in the English (Preferably the KJB).

Thank you all, and may God bless you greatly.

Side Note:

I did not bring up the gospel of the kingdom because I believe that is in reference to Jesus Christ (Who is the head of the body or the kingdom).
Thanks for sharing,

The gospel exclusively centers around the person of the Lord Jesus Christ.

I would lean towards Ro 1:16 in essence and 1 Cor15 in detail. I didn't fully understand the death, burial, and resurrection: atonement, justification and other details when I was saved. I believed in Jesus after reading the John's gospel multiple times. I experienced the power of God to salvation. God knows when we have genuine faith rather than a formula or gospel pill we swallowed. These could be combined, but genuine faith is needed.

"because (the gospel of his son Ro 1:9) is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes"

[Mat 24:14 NIV]... gospel of the kingdom

[Rom 15:19 NIV] ... the gospel of Christ.

[Rom 16:25 NIV] ... my gospel, the message I proclaim about Jesus Christ

[1Co 15:2a NIV] By this gospel you are saved

[Eph 1:13 NIV] the gospel of your salvation.

[Eph 6:15 NIV] the gospel of peace.

[Phl 1:27 NIV] the gospel of Christ.

[1Th 3:2 NIV] gospel of Christ,

[2Th 1:8 NIV] the gospel of our Lord Jesus.

[2Ti 2:8 NIV] Remember Jesus Christ, raised from the dead,.... This is my gospel,

[1Pe 4:17 NIV] the gospel of God

[Rev 14:6 NIV] the eternal gospel.

Upvote 0