keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,445.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
The way you mean it, no. If wasting time reading poorly written shallow books is a sin, then yes.

There have been some issues raised regarding how women are portraied in the books that may be serious.

If you as a parent are concerend the solution is to read them yourself and decide. Things in books that are 'dangerous' for younger readers actually rarely present any real danger as long as a more experienced person is there to deal with it. In fact a parent can use any such as a teaching point and thus help their child grow into adulthood. (Or you may start reading and decide it is flat out harmful, but if you do and make that decision yuo will have somethnig to back it up other than someone else simply saying it is bad).

Reactions: klasvaakie
Upvote 0

b.hopeful

Sharp as a razor, soft as a prayer
Jul 17, 2009
St.Louis metropolitan area
✟18,662.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Agree with Keith.

My daughter tried reading Twilight....she isn't a fan of the books. However, she's a fan of the movies because she's a tween hormonal girl that thinks Robert Pattison is dreamy...insert swooning.

My niece really enjoyed the books.(she was 11 when she read them) She loves the movies as well...insert swooning again.

As far as the way women are portrayed...meh. Hopefully, they get that it's a book..and it's depicting how THIS girl behaves...and is not a guide book for how all girls behave. If I were worried about them copying behaviors found in books then I would have to take away one of my daughter's favorite books.....Night...because maybe she'll act like a Nazi???? I read Romeo and Juliet and never assumed I should kill myself if I couldn't be with my love.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,445.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Agree with Keith.

My daughter tried reading Twilight....she isn't a fan of the books. However, she's a fan of the movies because she's a tween hormonal girl that thinks Robert Pattison is dreamy...insert swooning.

My niece really enjoyed the books.(she was 11 when she read them) She loves the movies as well...insert swooning again.

As far as the way women are portrayed...meh. Hopefully, they get that it's a book..and it's depicting how THIS girl behaves...and is not a guide book for how all girls behave. If I were worried about them copying behaviors found in books then I would have to take away one of my daughter's favorite books.....Night...because maybe she'll act like a Nazi???? I read Romeo and Juliet and never assumed I should kill myself if I couldn't be with my love.

Just to be clear, I have not read the twilight books, and considering the that I have reports from sources I personally find reliable that they are not worth reading I probably never will.

That something is depicted in a book is not a reason to be concerend. It is how it is depicted, and for that matter how the reader might react (which can include a gross misreading of the work). Nazis in a work, no big deal. But how about a work where the Nazis are the good guys? Or how about a rewrite of 'All Quiet on the Western Front' set in WW II instead of WW I? I would say cause for concern and worth discussing with any young reader. Such a book would depend a huge amount on the details. If like All Quiet it mainly follows just a few young soldiers then a lot would depend on their political involvement. Huge difference if they are avid Nazis or just young men caught up in a war. I can see cases where the work is in fact excellent, that it shows young men who are not Nazis at heart, caught up in war and patriotic zeal. But such a work could easily be misread and is somethgni a parent might want to discuss with their child.

A gross misreading of Romeo and Juliet can led to thoughts of how romanic it is rather than how tragic.

Twilight seems to have some of the heroines shown acting in negative ways that at the least can be misread as romantic and at the worst are bad role models to follow.

That leads to one general situation for children growing up and reading. Stories for the very young have heros witjh few flaws. Later we find heros with feet of clay. This is good, literary experience should not be limited to a standard the real world can not match. But it raises the possibility that at some point the young adult may not realize this change and see these significant flaws as something good. That is not a flaw of the work, but is is something for a parent to be aware of to clarify for a young reader.

Upvote 0

KingCrimson250

IS A HOMEBOY
Apr 10, 2009
✟18,395.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I haven't read Twilight myself but I think the issue that most people have with it is that it's become, in a way, a sort of emotional inappropriate content for women. I guess sixteen year old girls read it (or watch it, perhaps) and lie awake in bed fantasizing over unrealistic, even destructive, notions of what relationships are like, causing them to objectify men as these magical things of emotional fulfillment, rather than actual human beings.

So I guess you can take from that what you've want. I've never read it and I've only seen the first movie (which was rubbish) so don't ask for my opinion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Webers_Home

May 1, 2009
Oregon
✟1,454.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
RE: There have been some issues raised regarding how women are portraied in the books that may be serious.

Well, the people who raised those issues have obviously got a problem with gender bias.

I've met Jews who feel that if you portray just one Jew in a negative light, that makes you anti-Semitic. But that attitude borders on stereotyping and fails to take into consideration individual personalities.

Let me ask something. Are all young women as wild and burlesque as Lady Gaga? No, of course they aren't. But to someone infected with gender bias, if I make a negative comment about Lady Gaga, then in their minds I am denigrating women; when in reality, I would only be denigrating Lady Gaga.

Some people might even think that Lady Gaga herself is demeaning to women; just as some think Miss America pageants exploit women. But I have to ask: Since when did American women lose the right to make their own decisions? Lady Gaga likes being outrageous, and Miss America contestants like showing off their curves. Do they really need their wishes put up to a vote before proceeding? Where would be the freedom of choice in that?

Do I think Bella Swan is a nitwit? Yes, I do. But does that mean I believe that all teen-age girls are nitwits? No, of course not. But in the minds of people infected with gender bias, it does; while they fail to take into consideration individual differences; viz: not all teen-aged girls are nitwits, nor are all teen-aged girls bright and mature.

While we're at it let me ask another question. Since when did women become a protected species? Women are not above the law, nor are they above criticism and demeaning comments, nor do they have immunity against being portrayed in a novel as a nitwit; and anybody who thinks otherwise has a serious problem with prejudice.

Taken in reverse: Have you noticed the proliferation of advertising, movies, and sit-coms that portray daddies as morons? Personally I find that kind of broadcasting extremely demeaning to men; but do you see any women up on soap boxes complaining and protesting about that and trying to get it changed? No. And why is that? Because as a rule, women don't care about men's feelings; in point of fact, it is very common for women to believe that men are insensitive beasts who don't even have any feelings to be concerned about anyway.

Here's one of my very favorite bumper stickers that pretty much sums up the average woman's attitude towards men.

MEN ARE NOT PIGS!
pigs are gentle, intelligent, animals.

And another like it:

ALL MEN ARE FOOLS!
and I married their king.

But now let's re-gender those stickers and see what they look like.

WOMEN ARE NOT PIGS!

ALL WOMEN ARE FOOLS!
and I married their queen.

In their original gender, the bumper stickers are humorous, but when we turn them on the ladies, now all of a sudden, in some women's minds; the stickers are a crime against humanity because the wording denigrates women; and that's because in some women's minds, their gender is a protected species while men are fair game for any, and all, demeaning comments the world cares to throw at them. Isn't that actually a double standard? It sure is.

Back to the OP's question: Is reading Twilight a sin?

I cannot answer that for anyone other than myself because it's a gray area, and according to the 14th chapter of Romans, it's up to an individual's own personal conscience to decide for their self in gray areas. I've read New Moon and seen both Twilight movies and felt not the slightest guilt. However, that's just me. I actually knew a Christian once who felt guilty just stepping foot inside a BlockBuster video store. Now for them, reading Twilight novels would definitely be a sin because to do so would violate their conscience and their own personal standards of right and wrong.

†. Rom 14:5 . . Let each person be fully persuaded in their own mind.

†. Rom 14:14 . . I know, and am convinced by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself; but to someone who considers anything to be unclean, to him it is unclean.

†. Rom 14:23 . . But he who is unsure is condemned if he proceeds, because he doesn't proceed from faith; for whatever doesn’t proceed from faith is sin.

One of the cardinal rules of safe hunting is: Be sure of your target before taking aim. If every hunter would do that, if they would proceed from faith, it would put a stop to all the people getting shot mistaken for deer.

C.L.I.F.F.
/

Last edited:
Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,445.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
RE: There have been some issues raised regarding how women are portraied in the books that may be serious.

Well, the people who raised those issues have obviously got a problem with gender bias.

I've met Jews who feel that if you portray just one Jew in a negative light, that makes you anti-Semitic. But that attitude borders on stereotyping and fails to take into consideration individual personalities.

Let me ask something. Are all young women as wild and burlesque as Lady Gaga? No, of course they aren't. But to someone infected with gender bias, if I make a negative comment about Lady Gaga, then in their minds I am denigrating women; when in reality, I would only be denigrating Lady Gaga.

Some people might even think that Lady Gaga herself is demeaning to women; just as some think Miss America pageants exploit women. But I have to ask: Since when did American women lose the right to make their own decisions? Lady Gaga likes being outrageous, and Miss America contestants like showing off their curves. Do they really need their wishes put up to a vote before proceeding? Where would be the freedom of choice in that?

Do I think Bella Swan is a nitwit? Yes, I do. But does that mean I believe that all teen-age girls are nitwits? No, of course not. But in the minds of people infected with gender bias, it does; while they fail to take into consideration individual differences; viz: not all teen-aged girls are nitwits, nor are all teen-aged girls bright and mature.

While we're at it let me ask another question. Since when did women become a protected species? Women are not above the law, nor are they above criticism and demeaning comments, nor do they have immunity against being portrayed in a novel as a nitwit; and anybody who thinks otherwise has a serious problem with prejudice.

Taken in reverse: Have you noticed the proliferation of advertising, movies, and sit-coms that portray daddies as morons? Personally I find that kind of broadcasting extremely demeaning to men; but do you see any women up on soap boxes complaining and protesting about that and trying to get it changed? No. And why is that? Because as a rule, women don't care about men's feelings; in point of fact, it is very common for women to believe that men are insensitive beasts who don't even have any feelings to be concerned about anyway.

Here's one of my very favorite bumper stickers that pretty much sums up the average woman's attitude towards men.

MEN ARE NOT PIGS!

And another like it:

ALL MEN ARE FOOLS!
and I married their king.

But now let's re-gender those stickers and see what they look like.

WOMEN ARE NOT PIGS!

ALL WOMEN ARE FOOLS!
and I married their queen.

In their original gender, the bumper stickers are humorous, but when we turn them on the ladies, now all of a sudden, in some women's minds; the stickers are a crime against humanity because the wording denigrates women; and that's because in some women's minds, their gender is a protected species while men are fair game for any, and all, demeaning comments the world cares to throw at them. Isn't that actually a double standard? It sure is.

Back to the OP's question: Is reading Twilight a sin?

I cannot answer that for anyone other than myself because it's a gray area, and according to the 14th chapter of Romans, it's up to an individual's own personal conscience to decide for their self in gray areas. I've read New Moon and seen both Twilight movies and felt not the slightest guilt. However, that's just me. I actually knew a Christian once who felt guilty just stepping foot inside a BlockBuster video store. Now for them, reading Twilight novels would definitely be a sin because to do so would violate their conscience and their own personal standards of right and wrong.

†. Rom 14:5 . . Let each person be fully persuaded in their own mind.

†. Rom 14:14 . . I know, and am convinced by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself; but to someone who considers anything to be unclean, to him it is unclean.

†. Rom 14:23 . . But he who is unsure is condemned if he proceeds, because he doesn't proceed from faith; for whatever doesn’t proceed from faith is sin.

One of the cardinal rules of safe hunting is: Be sure of your target before taking aim. If every hunter would do that, if they would proceed from faith, it would put a stop to all the people getting shot mistaken for deer.

C.L.I.F.F.
/

The problem is Bella Swan is the protagonist and it seems the one girls reading the book identify with. If that is true it is cause for concern. But that is depending a lot on the reader. For an insightful young lady who realizes Bella is a nitwit it is just a source of ammusement. But if I had a daughter who was identifying with her I would be very concerend.

I do totally agree on your points about some members of groups complaining whenever any member of their group is shown with negitive traits. It is absurd. I find it most absure in 'Black' adventure films where all the major characters are Black, yet there are complaints about the bad guys being black.

Oh and a joke from a cycling board I frequent:

A guy who was very banged up was talking to his friends and they asked how it happened. He said he was out for a ride and as he was going through a curve in the road a girl going the other direction yelled PIG at him. His friends reacted in surprise asking if this happened when he confronted her about it. He said 'No, as I yelled [wash my mouth][wash my mouth][wash my mouth][wash my mouth][wash my mouth] back at her I rounded the corner and crashed into a pig'.

Upvote 0

Webers_Home

May 1, 2009
Oregon
✟1,454.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
RE: But if I had a daughter who was identifying with [Bella Swan] I would be very concerend.

Well, I can hardly blame you there. Bella is constantly depressed, repressed, withdrawn, somewhat antisocial, reticent, and at times suicidal too. In point of fact, she is perfectly willing to undergo the transformation to a vampire just so's she can keep Edward. She really ought to listen to Edward's big sister Rosalie Cullen who quite candidly stated she would never wish vampirism upon anybody. Anyway, a young girl who cannot relate to normal boys has got a serious problem; that's for sure; and in New Moon, Bella is right at home with werewolves no less!

Edward too is somewhat chronically depressed, withdrawn, self destructive, and suicidal. If not for meeting Bella, Edward would no doubt have found a way to kill himself by now. And if anything happens to Bella in the future; he will. People on the cusp of suicide are not the kind of folks that young people should be considering for a long-term relationship. They're too fragile. No doubt Dr. Laura would agree.

But what the hey. It's just a fictional love story; right? . . about two tormented souls who find solace in each other's company; a bloody sort of Romeo and Juliet.

And I really like the Cullens, well at least the Cullens in the first movie. The new director ruined their previously clean-cut, sharp-looking appearance in the second movie. He gave them red eyes and pasty skin; whereas before they were just pale; which is to be expected in the northwest. I live in Oregon, and we're all a bunch of pale faces most of the year except for the tanning salon-ers.

Not to be bragging but we live about a half-hour drive from the Carver Café where they filmed Bella and her dad Charlie out for burgers and pie one day in the first movie. We sat at their corner table by the window. The café is very, very small; just a roadside diner really. We've yet to visit Charlie's movie home in Ste Helens but I'm sure we will some day when we're up that way again on our way to Astoria for fish and chips in one of our favorite restaurants; although I like the food in Rockaway Beach better.

BTW: good pig joke. I'll have to remember that one.

C.L.I.F.F.
/

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,445.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Question related to Number 13.

It is clear you have seen the films. Did you read the books? If so are they worth a read? So far the only reason I've seen to consider them is to be more informed abotu an area of discussion. But I'm not eager to do that if they are total drek.

Upvote 0

UnionJack

Veteran
Nov 18, 2009
Toronto
✟16,974.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Your daughter only asked the question because her conscience brought her to do it.

I have not read the book or watched the movie nor do I plan to but, if it is causing her to sin in some way, then tell her to stop reading it.

But remember she asked the question for a reason.....something brought her to do so. Find out what that is.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Webers_Home

May 1, 2009
Oregon
✟1,454.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
RE: Did you read the books?

Just one: New Moon

RE: If so are they worth a read?

If you mean: Are the books entertaining? Well, my wife thinks so, and a kazillion of Stephenie Meyers' fans do too; but speaking for myself, I wasn't enthralled with the one I read.

If your purpose is only to get up to speed, I recommend forgetting the books and just watch the movies.

C.L.I.F.F.
/

Upvote 0

klasvaakie

Oct 12, 2009
Pretoria
✟15,255.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What bothers me most about the Character of Bella...other than the fact that throughout the entire book she doesn't undergo any personality changes (growth) is that the male charachter, Edward, makes her constantly feel like she is a worthless bug...and somehow this makes him the most amazing man in the world. If this is all that a woman needs to think her man is amazing...go to your local bar, they are a dime a dozen.
I personally think that lit. actually promoting these type of feelings as normal to be very destructive to the premature, young adult females of todays world. Self confidence issues are already a hectic problem with teen and twenty something girls...promoting behavior that would only make this worse I think is not a good thing. Just my opinion.

Upvote 0

E-beth

Senior Contributor
Feb 6, 2002
Ohio
Visit site
✟20,861.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As far as the question in the OP goes, my opinion is that doing anything the Spirit spurns you away from is sin. To some people, reading Twilight could be a stumbling block, or a cause to sin. The Holy Spirit would tell you if you should stay away. To disregard God's will is to sin. You should probably have a conversation with your niece asking her why she was asking, what God is telling her about it, and pray with her.

As far as the books themselves go, I read the first one. I saw the first movie. I thought they were both kinda melodramatic and choppy. I hated the fact that it glamorized a girl's being involved with a guy who is not good for her, choosing him over family, health, what her brain knew was logical, her future, etc. Bella's character made the feminist in me cry a little bit.

Upvote 0

Wicked Willow

May 2, 2005
✟4,434.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
I've actually read the Twilight books; they're like fluffy popcorn: entertaining but not exactly fulfilling - and if you stuff yourself with it, expect to feel a sense of nausea.

Compared to Dan Brown or (to pick another "Young Adult" author) Christopher Paolini's oevre, "Twilight" and its sequels fare rather well - it doesn't make them exactly good, but at least you can read them as entertainment without constantly suppressing a groan.

The only thing that really rankled *me* were the gender roles in the book. Never mind that Bella is a mopey, antisocial klutz with occasional suicidal tendencies. No problem there whatsoever. But the way her "ideal" relationship with Edward is portrayed, the way he treats her (and the way she allows herself to be treated) ... well, let's just say that it reads as if in Stephenie Meyer's mind, the last fifty years of female emancipation never took place.
(In her defense, you might point out that Edward Cullen has been socialized in the early 20th century, and therefore has somewhat of an excuse for treating his girlfriend like a Victorian child-bride, IOW his personal property. But then again, the novels aren't told from his vantage point - they're told from Bella's; and she has no such excuse.)

Upvote 0