Is reading Twlight a sin?

S

Strix

But I'm not eager to do that if they are total drek.
Then steer well clear of them mate. Their awful.

In all seriousness, I picked the set of them up in Asda for 20 quid and they were diabolically written. Given that its all in the first person, the first 200 pages or so wax idiotic about edwards hair and his "liquid topaz" eyes, and how everyone of them is so beautiful. Case in point, Edwaed spends the first 100 or so pages saying "I shouldnt talk to you, its dangerous", yet he instigates most of the conversation, so it cant be that dangerous.

Plus the main character is really unlikable. She's not only a borderline psychotic (she has a go at her dad for telling her mum she was nearly killed), she's unappreciative, obsessive (every nuance of edward is listed, to the point I literally wanted to claw my own eyes out), whiney (nothing positive ever happens to this girl) and self obsessed (every man is head over heels about her). Plus, this being bella, she ends up brused, battered and crying "please sir" to the nearest dominant male character every 5 minutes.

The only people I could recommend these books to are those who would get pleasure from cranial intrusion, but then they'd probably get more satisfaction from shoving a rusty pickaxe up their nose. A similar effect to reading these books could be achieved by battering your head against a brick wall for 7 hours while listening to linkin park so loud it makes your ears bleed.

The only sin with twilight was the things being written in the first place.

Upvote 0

TheAncientOfDays

God! Save Me From Myself!
Feb 2, 2010
Australia
✟15,121.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
My daughter started reading them, but gave up because she thought they were boring and made women (girls) out to be the weaker sex. She made up her own mind and I"m proud of her for doing that. I've read them all (purely for research purposes ... of course. lol) and can't see a lot wrong with them.

Upvote 0

Phanari

Jan 31, 2010
Computer...
✟15,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
One Vampire romance novel I also tried reading....and stopped due to religious convictions, was Undead and Unwedd. It was horrribly in their morrals and values, I swear.

But Twilight is a cute story. My mother is addicted to the series because she's enveloped by the characters.

Upvote 0

snowbirdling

someone
Feb 12, 2010
auckland
✟15,402.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am currently reading the Twilight books, or... well, I just read the first two.

If I had known any better, I would've stayed away from them. I'm 20 years old, and I find them very depressing and disturbing and a form of chick-inappropriate content. Bella is easy to identify with because her character is so vague... this is why it is so dangerous for girls to read them... it's so easy to want to make yourself feel like her, and when she gets the attention she does from such a "beautiful" and "god-like" creature as Edward the vampire.

In the first book, it is not as harmful, but still quite bad: it's true she is very dependent on Edward, but the problem is exacerbated when you think about how she is willing to lose all of her friends and completely become absorbed in him, losing all other parts of her life (not that there was anything substantial there in the first place).

I find the second book to be much worse, and here is why I do not think any teen (or even me in this case) should read them:
1. Bella is depressed, zombie-like, masochistic, and self-harming (not to mention selfish as she puts herself in danger constantly, despite her parents and her couple friends that care about her). This is because Edward leaves. THIS KIND OF BEHAVIOUR SHOULD NEVER BE ALLOWED OR TOLERATED OR ENCOURAGED BASED ON INFATUATION!!!! I deal with depression and it is a terrible, evil thing. I KNOW what it's like to go through similar things as this, and it cannot be made into a fairy-tale and seem okay because there's so much romance. Getting caught up in romance can lead to awful things if you don't keep your wits about you... especially if you're as emotional as me, or as hormonal as a teenager!!!

2.Bella wants to become a vampire even though she knows that there is a possibility that her soul will be "condemned to eternal damnation". There is not a lot of discussion about this, but the idea recurs many times, and she continually argues with Edward that she doesn't care about her own soul and is more than willing to become a vampire despite the possibility of, when she does die, going to hell.

3.And yeah, Stephanie Meyer (author) may be a Mormon and therefore doesn't insert any sexual intercourse within the novel, and sure the kissing scenes are sparse... but the obvious problem is that Edward is a vampire, he desires her blood. And obviously Bella is extremely desirous of him too. The lust that emanates from this is so sickening... Also, sex is not the real problem, it's the fact that they are not actually loving, caring individuals... they are obsessive, horny, selfish, mopey, hormonal (yes, even a vampire over 100 years old can apparently be hormonal over a 17 year old girl), and with no regard for wisdom or the future.

THESE ARE TERRIBLE MODELS AND IMAGES TO PUT IN ANYONE'S BRAIN!!!!!!!
If you don't want your young son to play violent video games for fear of it callousing them, you won't want your young daughter to read this books for fear of what it will callous them with emotionally, not just in terms of romance and self-esteem etc. etc. but in terms of their soul.

And when all that is said and down, if there is no other reason not to read these books, it is that they are a waste of time. If there is nothing edifying in them (let alone destructive), it is wrong to spend 12 hours reading them.
If we live, it's to honor the Lord. And if we die, it's to honor the Lord. So whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord. Romans 14:8

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Amber.ly

Predictably eccentric and honestly hypocritical
Mar 1, 2010
Gone- PM if you need me
✟22,486.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I really get a kick reading how passionately people hate Twilight. About as crazy as the other side who are obsessed with the whole Edward/Jacob thing. I love strong opinions.

I have read and own the Twilight series. I enjoy reading the books and see no sin in it.
To me, they are on par with most fiction. Enjoyable, interesting and to me, worth my time.

If we choose to slam the book for it's content and "destructive role models" then every woman needs to get rid of her chick flick movie collection. Because truthfully, there is not a whole lot of entertainment that portrays a Godly or even realistic view of romance and life. After all, entertainment is an escape from reality and a chance to spend a few moments in a world that doesn't exist with people who will never be.

Upvote 0

snowbirdling

someone
Feb 12, 2010
auckland
✟15,402.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It's true, we probably should get rid of our chick flick movies. Shouldn't we? I mean, it can just be so toxic in causing us... well, me at least... to be dissatisfied with life in a way that makes me long for things and people that are not only realistic, but in reality just wouldn't be very good for me anyway.

I guess some people can handle that a lot better than me though, so it's up to their own discretion.

Upvote 0

lilyamongthorns98

Leaning on God for all
Apr 10, 2010
Buffalo Junction, Virginia
✟7,668.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I have read all of the Twilight books, more because of someone else's opinion and I just wanted to know what the hype was about.
But this is my thought on all books. As long as you are not putting that book ahead of your relationship with God and that book is not causing you to have impure thoughts or to act in a manner that is not pleasing to God, then it is not a sin.

Upvote 0

Wicked Willow

May 2, 2005
✟4,434.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
it was a chick flick and the book was way better but i think its crazy how the books got soo big
Which just goes to show that these days, good marketing is WAY more important than good writing, as far assales numbers are concerned. What distinguishes the bestseller from the dust-gatherer is not so much the artistic quality or the ingenuity of the plot, but mostly the advertising budget.

It's sad, really. The same basically happened in the music industry from the late 1980s onward: why bother to seek some real talents when you can just assemble a random group of mediocre, good-looking nobodies, turn them into the "new cult band", have them perform a few mediocre songs and then hype them to the top of the charts? Even if the public soon realizes that it's all a bunch of hot air, that just means that you discard this group and assemble a new one just like it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
Western Pennsylvania, USA
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Is it sin to read it? No. But what defiles a person is what comes out, not what goes in, to paraphrase Jesus. I've seen it lead to a dangerous mindset amongst some of my friends. One of whom, a mid-20's woman, actually believes that Edward Cullen is the ultimate Mr. Right - whereas Edward Cullen is actually the perfect example of a passive-aggressive abuser, and Jacob Black is even worse. Bella, meanwhile is a self-abusing mental case with absolutely no respect for those in her lives except for the object of her infatuation.

I read the books at her insistence, and grew increasingly disgusted at the way in which these horrible characters are presented by the author (and subsequently accepted by the audience) as ideal. I would not recommend the book to anyone not mature enough to realize this fact. Is it sinful? Not necessarily. Is it healthy? No. At best, it's junk food. At worst, it's rotten meat. The former is fine in moderation, the latter is dangerous. Which of those it is depends on the mindset of the person reading it.

Reactions: Wicked Willow
Upvote 0