is prepping just another name for Permaculture?

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Just wondering.
Same ideals, although the theology behind it is different obviously.
But if you don't already have a good decent size bit of land, it would be difficult to work it to become productive enough to live off. I mean in terms of having animals, obtaining a yield, catching energy etc.
Small scale things you can do, yes, but running a full-scale homestead out of a townhouse or suburban home is not going to work, it's not geared for that.

In cities and towns the soil is already deficient (or been scraped away by flattening bull dozers) so you going to have to slowly add things to get the fertility up, and that takes time, to build biomass.

I do find that its more important to have a thriving local community rather than we all buy lifestyle blocks and try to do it all by ourselves. I mean who's got the income to do that, unless you already retired...

Last edited:

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes... I watch youtube videos of people planting a few hundred square feet of land and thinking that will meet the needs of a family of 4 or more. Nope. Assume a 50% lost the first year. Maybe better the second. I am planning on 3 full years before we approach self sufficiency with a 10000 (100x100) square foot garden. Add at least 10 chickens, and as you suggest a very healthy and co-operative community of like minded and like spirited souls. I do not believe anyone will be able to do this alone... unless you are alone. If you have kids... you best upscale your plans, the time it will take to achieve some semblance of self sufficiency, and the number of preps you will need for the interim. We are planning on 3 full years for this transition. So 3 years of preps will be in order. May not take 3 years... but that is the plan.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just wondering.
But if you don't already have a good decent size bit of land, it would be difficult to work it to become productive enough to live off. I mean in terms of having animals, obtaining a yield, catching energy etc.
Small scale things you can do, yes, but running a full-scale homestead out of a townhouse or suburban home is not going to work, it's not geared for that.

In cities and towns the soil is already deficient (or been scraped away by flattening bull dozers) so you going to have to slowly add things to get the fertility up, and that takes time, to build biomass.

I do find that its more important to have a thriving local community rather than we all buy lifestyle blocks and try to do it all by ourselves. I mean who's got the income to do that, unless you already retired...
We live close enough to the Amish community so our food supply does not depend on high technology. The only problem is getting the food to market and they can use a horse and wagon. I have a good supply of knives, rechargeable batteries, solar charges, flash lights and the sort of stuff that people would need so I could trade for food.

Somebody somewhere is going to have a disaster to deal with. I do not think it is going to be us here. Still I would encourage people in high risk areas to be prepared. Better safe and sorry. A good scout is always prepared and ready for whatever may happen.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well am not a scout..but in terms of actually growing things, would prepping be similar to permaculture or does prepping still rely on industrial methods, chemicals, herbicides, etc because Permaculture is organic, its not simply farming the land the way its done now.

Also, nobody has addressed WHERE do you find this land if you actually DO NOT HAVE IT.

Upvote 0

Widlast

Feb 11, 2016
Eastern USA
✟35,523.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Just wondering.

Prepping, in and of itself, has little to do with permaculture.
Prepping being an organized approach to preparing for disasters (real or imagined).
Permaculture is an approach to farming that attempts to limit use of short duration/externally purchased materials.

Upvote 0

Widlast

Feb 11, 2016
Eastern USA
✟35,523.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Well am not a scout..but in terms of actually growing things, would prepping be similar to permaculture or does prepping still rely on industrial methods, chemicals, herbicides, etc because Permaculture is organic, its not simply farming the land the way its done now.

Also, nobody has addressed WHERE do you find this land if you actually DO NOT HAVE IT.
Get away from cities and there is plenty of land available for sale. You only need a few acres.
However it may not be cheap. Where I live, small lots go for about $100,000 for anywhere from a half acre to two acres.
You can get 20 acres for about $300,000.
Out West, make sure to enquire about water rights, very important.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Prepping being an organized approach to preparing for disasters (real or imagined).
Permaculture is an approach to farming that attempts to limit use of short duration/externally purchased materials.
well in that case it sounds like prepping is just running away from perceived problems but does nothing to actually remedy these problems.

Just sounds like it creates MORE problems, if you just immigrating somewhere else. Heaps of townies go and buy land in the countryside with NO CLUE how to look after it.

Reactions: MishaMarie
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A few things you can do if you have little money.
At Sam's club you can get 50 pounds of pinto beans for less than 30 bucks and 20 pounds of rice for under 6 bucks. I buy an extra 2 1/2 pound box of old fashioned oats for less than 2 fifty. We pack all this in mylar with oxygen absorbers... should keep for the rest of our (wife and I are in our early 60s) lives. If we never use it the kids will get it.. or some other needy soul. Lord will deal it out. But you do not have to have a lot of money... just persistence. We get 50 pounds of dent corn from Honeywell for less than 35 bucks. We have been prepping slow but steady for over 5 years now. We have over half a ton of food. I doubt we have ever spent more than $100 at any given time (we have splurged and got 12 cans of Yoder's bacon and some freeze dried meat). I know it can be difficult. Get your church to start a pantry or if they will listen, a long term storage room (always keep it 70 degrees or less). Bond up with some like minded people. Do what you can.. the Lord will bless.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hmm hoarding isnt really what permaculture is about. So maybe its quite different from prepping.

However its really big on growing your own food so you dont have to buy tasteless supermarket globally produced food products ...i hesitate to call it food, as its not even fresh.

Upvote 0

PRESIDIO

Site Supporter
Nov 20, 2011
USA
Visit site
✟60,087.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
I think I would like to add that in a real DDSTP situation you are going to have to rely on each other within your group in order to survive. I think you will find that even the basic tasks in life will take an inordinate amount of time and will require a division of labor. The Lord has blessed us all with certain skill sets and they should all be used in that way. I think you will need someone in charge of food procurement, water procurement, security, sanitation, construction and shelter, communications, etc etc. DDSTP = Doo Doo Strikes The Propeller

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well, ideally each community is responsible for themselves and cares about its neighbours. If you live in such a community, there is no problem. If you dont and have to rely on an enemy or world system, its not going to work. If your community is dsyfunctional or there IS no community and your local govt doesnt work, you are stuffed. To put it bluntly.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PRESIDIO

Site Supporter
Nov 20, 2011
USA
Visit site
✟60,087.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
For christians i suppose this community is the church. People who are in communion with Jesus. It cant work any other way I think. Every one who loves their neighbour would help them in times of crisis.
Yes exactly. This is what I was referring to. I mean if we really look at the way things are right now, people dont know their neighbors like they used to. They dont even talk to them in most cases

Upvote 0

Pappy&Me

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2017
Jax.Fl.
✟30,669.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Actually it does. If tshtf you will have to rely on other types of nutrients to grow food. Like compost, leaves and Hugelpiles or aqua or hydroponics. We have one large Hugelkulture hill we did a few years ago but it never got enough dirt so we need to add dirt to top one day. Also have huge success wit hydroponic gardening.

Upvote 0