Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Hi, as I'm writing this, my husband is on the plane coming from mexico with his best friends and i'm picking him up in a couple hours. He left 5 days ago, spending 4 nights there. So here's the problem, somehow, he is able to make me feel guilty for going out with my girlfriends one of the nights he's gone. I have my "location" on at all times. He doesn't have his on. And I am not allowed to go on girls trips, this is his 3rd time to Mexico in the last 10 months with his buddies. Granted, we've been going through some marital troubles.

everytime i say it's not fair that i'm not allowed, he said it's different cause I'm a girl.

So here I am typing cause I have extreme anxiety, like i did something totally wrong, but i didn't. I need some advice. I'll update you guys when I see him tonight
I obviously do not know you or your husband or the quality of your relationship. My mother is a trauma counsellor and sees a lot of victims of extreme situations including domestic abuses. I volunteer in a womens refuge.

So my thoughts are in total ignorance of your real situation so keep that in mind when you read my view of what you've written in the OP.

There are several types of abuse - Physical, psychological, financial, sexual. At the centre of each type of abuse is the intent to exert power and control at an unreasonable level over their partner.

The most frequent manifestation of abuse is control through psychological abuse. This takes the form of placing the victim in a state of fear and anxiety that they are conforming to the "rules" purported by their spouse.
It manifests as:
  • being in the place expected (or NOT being in a place forbidden);
  • having things in an order demanded eg meals, household, the way you dress/appear;
  • not associating with friends/relatives - isolation from family and friends is often a key component of control;
  • use of verbal abuse with the outcome being that you believe you're stupid or not able to achieve the standard of a "good wife", or being told you're fat/ugly/unattractive;
  • being unpredictable so that you are cautious on every front so as not to trigger your spouse.

If these types of things are sounding very familiar to you, I would suggest counselling. If your partner is unwilling to seek counselling and the issues I have described are sustained, then I would suggest you ask yourself what you want for yourself over the next ten years. Ask yourself is the current scenario satisfactory and if it isn't then seek to make change - a counsellor will guide you through your options for change.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Missgrundy

Apr 1, 2018
Nairobi
✟18,948.00
Country
Kenya
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi, as I'm writing this, my husband is on the plane coming from mexico with his best friends and i'm picking him up in a couple hours. He left 5 days ago, spending 4 nights there. So here's the problem, somehow, he is able to make me feel guilty for going out with my girlfriends one of the nights he's gone. I have my "location" on at all times. He doesn't have his on. And I am not allowed to go on girls trips, this is his 3rd time to Mexico in the last 10 months with his buddies. Granted, we've been going through some marital troubles.

everytime i say it's not fair that i'm not allowed, he said it's different cause I'm a girl.

So here I am typing cause I have extreme anxiety, like i did something totally wrong, but i didn't. I need some advice. I'll update you guys when I see him tonight
I'm not married yet but I've been in such a relationship before a long long time 7 yrs to be precise.he is controlling and imagines your also upto doing what he is doing perhaps.I pray you talk about it and not argue about it.though whenever I'd bring it up I'd end up feeling triple worse n seeming psycho but God revealed all

Upvote 0

Missgrundy

Apr 1, 2018
Nairobi
✟18,948.00
Country
Kenya
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
He says that I shouldn't feel like this cause I have it good. I don't worry about bills. He says he knows how guys are. And that all they think about is taking advantage of girls.

when i was single, every guy i talked to had full respect for me. never treated me like i was cheap.

So i don't know why he thinks if i'm out, that i would get taken advantage of?
Exactly what my ex would say emotiomal manipulation emotional abuse rather

Upvote 0

Mr Darcy

Apr 5, 2018
Kentucky
✟1,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

My first marriage lasted 20 years. I'm a couple months away from 20 years with my second one. This one is for life. The first was supposed to be, but I guess three teenage daughters just pushed her over the edge and she wanted to be "single again".

Why do I bring that up? Because I went to a LOT of counseling and read a lot of books about relationships, women, women's issues, men's issues, etc. It's paying off in dividends with my current (and lifetime) wife.

Based on that, ABSOLUTELY he is being controlling. The answer is pretty simple: If you don't have kids, you take a trip with the girls as often as he does it with the guys. He turns off his phone tracking, you turn off yours. And I'm speaking from experience from my first marriage. I was made to feel guilty as well. Turns out the very things she was accusing me of are the things she, herself, was doing. It's usually how it works. A liar thinks everyone lies. A thief thinks everyone is a thief. Etc.

Upvote 0

Tetra

Dec 18, 2016
Earth
✟64,448.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hard to answer your question since it's completely subjective. However, in my opinion, he's beyond controlling.

Both my wife and I have friends of both the opposite, and same sex. I couldn't fathom my wife telling me I couldn't go out, and nor would I ever tell her she couldn't.

• Agree
Reactions: LoricaLady
Upvote 0

yeyeyyeyey_boy

Apr 10, 2018
Calgary
✟520.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

I would just like to say im from the south and I actually do not support marriage so I think you are wrong in this situation!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeyeyyeyey_boy

Apr 10, 2018
Calgary
✟520.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

HES CHEATING ON YOU, MEXICO 10 MONTHS 3 TIMES YE THATS A GGGGGGG

• Agree
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hi, as I'm writing this, my husband is on the plane coming from mexico with his best friends and i'm picking him up in a couple hours. He left 5 days ago, spending 4 nights there. So here's the problem, somehow, he is able to make me feel guilty for going out with my girlfriends one of the nights he's gone.

"Somehow" he is able to make you feel guilty? No, you are allowing him to make you feel guilty. And that's why he keeps making you feel guilty. It's how he controls and manipulates you.

It seems Takers always find Givers. And for some very strange reason, Givers don't seem to mind - at least at first - what Takers take from them. Just going off the bit you've shared, I think you're the Giver and your husband is the Taker. Does he ever act in a truly self-sacrificing way toward you? Does he ever do anything for you that costs him and benefits him in no way whatsoever? Takers make it look like they are giving, but when one looks closer at what they do, it becomes clear that they only give when they benefit in some way. He works hard and supplies for you both, but he would have to work anyway, wouldn't he, to live as he does? And treating himself to 3 trips to Mexico in one year - none of which have included you - is classic Taker behaviour.

I am not allowed to go on girls trips, this is his 3rd time to Mexico in the last 10 months with his buddies. Granted, we've been going through some marital troubles.

If your husband prefers to visit Mexico three times in one year without you, your marriage is indeed in trouble. But this is how it goes with Takers. As their Giver allows them to take, and take, and take, they grow more and more controlling, and entitled in their attitude, and selfish. A marriage can't be sustained when this sort of selfishness is indulged.

I'm going to assume your husband isn't a Christian, a disciple of Christ, because what you've described of him doesn't suggest God is in the driver's seat of your husband's life. This, though, is probably the biggest problem between you. If God isn't at the core of your lives and relationship to each other, marriage - which is God's institution - isn't going to be the beautiful thing He means it to be. If you want your marriage to be restored, to be the joyful, rich relationship it is supposed to be, and to reflect the excellency of Christ, God must be placed at the center of your lives, where He should be.

So he works really hard, he has his own business, and he tells me that the trips are motivational and that he's refreshed when he's there, and makes him work better.

What is it about being at home with you that doesn't make him feel refreshed? It ought to.

Really, God should be the Source of our "refreshment." In fact, when a man is walking right with God, he becomes a source of refreshment to others. This goes for women, too. Trips to Mexico can't ever be a replacement for God's sustaining, transforming power at work in one's life.

He obviously makes the money, and I just feel bad if I told him that he couldn't go, cause I believe he deserves it. I just don't know how to approach him for making me feel guilty when I'm at home, and he's not here.

This is exactly how it goes between Givers and Takers. Look, at some point, your husband is going to wring you dry. He's just going to keep taking until every bit you have to give is squeezed out of you. And then, your marriage will end. If you don't want this to happen, set some clear and inviolable boundaries with your husband. Get a job, if it will help even things out between you. Most of all, make God the center of your marriage. Pray that God will break in on your husband's life and turn him around. Pray that God will make you a godly woman. And keep praying until He does.

• Agree
Reactions: Poppyseed78
Upvote 0

2Timothy2:15

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So he works really hard, he has his own business, and he tells me that the trips are motivational and that he's refreshed when he's there, and makes him work better.

He obviously makes the money, and I just feel bad if I told him that he couldn't go, cause I believe he deserves it. I just don't know how to approach him for making me feel guilty when I'm at home, and he's not here.

He's going to see family in Mexico or going to some resort town? I would say if it is the second what is a Christian man doing going to resorts without his wife? There are a ton of red flags here I am sorry.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Danielwright2311

Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2018
Sacorro NM
✟110,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
To Mexico??????? That's your first eye operner. ... Divorce is not the answer, never is. Marriage counseling is better. Tell him its marriage counseling or a separation. Never bring up divorce as it could end up that way, but some times men need a reminder who they are.

Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
what do you and your female friends do when you go out?

what has been his reasoning for not allowing you to hang out with your female friends? is "you're a girl and i'm a guy so it's different" truly his only reason for such a prohibition?

what exactly does he do on these trips? has he told you? have you asked him?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Stormy

Senior Contributor
Jun 16, 2002
St. Louis, Mo
Visit site
✟51,954.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Op I don't think he is having an affair either. An affair like a marriage takes time and commitment to the other person. It demands that a man think of the other person's feelings and needs.

Of course I could certainly be wrong, but just from what little info you give of him..... He appears totally selfish. Using a woman would be more his style. But hey, he has chosen you to be his wife. If that's enough than I am happy for the two of you. Please ignore the sarcasm.

Do not feel any guilt toward him. Now I am not saying that you should also start cheating. No, you are a Christian and should keep your marriage vows. But if you do....do it with your eyes wide open.

Upvote 0

lee11

Nov 10, 2017
melbourne
✟34,951.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Hi

Any relationship has its challengers and strengths and weaknesses.

The bible says marriage partners will have their confrontations and issues to deal with, however we all know it is not an excuse to enforce our wills or control over each other.

Both partners have the option to seek advice counselling help and believers have the guidance and wisdom of the pastors to also rely on.

It is my understanding that either partner is free to remarry after the natural death of their partner and depending on your denomination membership, some denominations believe you can divorce and remarry in the case of adultly and others belive it not.

Having this friendship has helped you to cope and manage issues in your life and a genuine attraction has developed due to the kind and considerate treatment you have received and this has been helpful and therapeutic.

However, you still have a commitment and responsibility to honour, not because a person deserves it, but like God’s grace we must do what is right first and ask God for help and guidance in this situation as I know you have.

It is our faithfulness to God that we must remember and honour, we will go through trials and tribulations in different areas of our lives, but we must always rely depend and trust in God to help us overcome and grant us victory.

A little more patience, submission, and wisdom and allow God to help you resolve these concerns.

May God grant you peace of mind and richness in the Fruit of the Spirit.

Peace

Upvote 0

akaDaScribe

Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2018
Boston Area
✟97,444.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Even with his faults, is it any better that you've allowed your husband to be bad mouthed on this thread? The Bible says for husbands to love their wives and for wives to respect their husbands.

This sounds like a matter to bring to your pastor if you have one, after talking to your husband first of course.

Is that what you would tell your daughter if she came to you? Is that what you would want someone to say to your daughter if she was in an abusive situation and reaching out for help?

Isn't it obvious that she knows something is wrong and has to muster the strength to do something about it? One of the worse things to tell a victim is to keep it to themselves.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
he is able to make me feel guilty for going out with my girlfriends
I am not allowed to go on girls trips
he said it's different cause I'm a girl

Sad to say your husband has some serious issues and is mistreating you and not loving you as Jesus told us to love our wives as He loved the church.

I don't know of any of my friends or the people at our church that treat their wives like this.

I'm saddened for you for I think that for him to change it's going to take a small miracle or maybe a few small miracles.

If you two have a church that you attend it's time for (several meetings) with your pastor or an elder.

My opinion only --
Your husband = Macho Man.

Macho Man does not understand that God's the One that has the plan.

May God bless you two,
M-Bob

• Agree
Reactions: *LILAC
Upvote 0

wonderkins

Jul 16, 2017
Winlock
✟147,468.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is that what you would tell your daughter if she came to you? Is that what you would want someone to say to your daughter if she was in an abusive situation and reaching out for help?

Isn't it obvious that she knows something is wrong and has to muster the strength to do something about it? One of the worse things to tell a victim is to keep it to themselves.

If it was my daughter's intention to be faithful and godly, yes. I didn't say there are not obvious problems. But is the husband the only one in the wrong? Is it biblical to let your spouse be dragged through the mud? It is better to be innocent in the issue.

Obviously things need to be dealt with. And I didn't say she should keep it to herself. I said she should go to her pastor, if they submit to one. First things first. And other Christians should not get involved in bad mouthing.

Upvote 0