KitKatMatt

stupid bleeding heart feminist liberal
May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
This is what I don't understand, though. They don't seem to feel this way about other sins, even ones that have victims. Do they talk about a teen's hand being as irreversibly altered as a used tissue after he or she shoplifts? I was never exposed to this way of thinking when I was growing up, thank goodness, so I don't quite understand it.

Does this all go back to ignorance about the nature of the hymen or something?

I think ignorance of the hymen is definitely part of it. It probably goes back to the idea of women as objects that must be "pure" so that they could be sent off to husbands. Their humanity didn't enter into the equation, which seems to be what still happens.

I say women right here because it seems this is always used against women, I have rarely if at all seen it used against men (and when it is, it's still equally wrong).

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
It probably goes back to the idea of women as objects that must be "pure" so that they could be sent off to husbands.
Which mostly had to do with ensuring the legitimacy of offspring for purposes of inheritance, so it's strange that it circled back around in this way.

Upvote 0

KitKatMatt

May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Regarding OP:

I don't think it's wrong to have a preference for marrying a virgin, to be honest. Everyone has preferences.

What should be looked at is if you are judging someone based on their past sexual experiences. If so, it might be worthwhile to examine those feelings.

I know I used to only be interested in being paired with a virgin, because I was scared of being forced into sex too quickly by someone who wouldn't take time for me to ease into it. Since then I have learned a lot about myself and others, and realized that even people who had had sex before would have no problem in respecting my boundaries and needs. I had been judging everyone instantly based on their sexual experiences and not their personality or actions towards me.

Of course from there I also realized I really didn't want to have sex at all (which is probably the big cause of that initial anxiety) and that it was OK to not want sex, so it was a really good thing that I examined those feelings before trying to continue my search for a relationship based on my original preferences.

Reactions: Cearbhall
Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,830.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
The taking of virginity creates a blood covenant between husband and wife. If it was done earlier with someone else, Jesus blood can break that covenant and create a new one between you in his blood.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
The taking of virginity creates a blood covenant between husband and wife. If it was done earlier with someone else, Jesus blood can break that covenant and create a new one between you in his blood.
That's interesting. I haven't heard that before. Are you getting that from scripture?

Upvote 0

lightlyprinted

Jun 30, 2007
Texas
✟15,129.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
KJV
Mark 10:2 And the Pharisees came to him, and asked him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife? tempting him. Mark 10:3 And he answered and said unto them, "What did Moses command you?" Mark 10:4 And they said, Moses suffered to write a bill of divorcement, and to put her away. Mark 10:5 And Yeshua answered and said unto them, "For the hardness of your heart he wrote you this precept." Mark 10:6 "But from the beginning of the creation Elohim made them male and female." Mark 10:7 "For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife;" Mark 10:8 "And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh." Mark 10:9 "What therefore Elohim hath joined together, let not man put asunder." Mark 10:10 And in the house his disciples asked him again of the same matter. Mark 10:11 And he saith unto them, "Whosoever shall put away his wife, and marry another, committeth adultery against her." Mark 10:12 "And if a woman shall put away her husband, and be married to another, she committeth adultery."

Luke 16:18 "Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from her husband committeth adultery."

John 4:16 Yeshua saith unto her, "Go, call thy husband, and come hither." John 4:17 The woman answered and said, I have no husband. Yeshua said unto her, "Thou hast well said, I have no husband:" John 4:18 "For thou hast had five husbands; and he whom thou now hast is not thy husband: in that saidst thou truly."
(The very first husband was her real and only husband. Six men that she had sex with, and called husband in the sight of others. But the first one was in Elohim sight-her real husband. The other five where adultery affairs)

The first person you have sex with is your only husband or wife.
That is it!

Listen to only Yeshua.
Only He has the words of life and salvation.
No one else but Him.

I sowed my wild oats in my youth.
So little that I know that the first woman I had sex with would be my only chance to be married. If I knew then what I know now.
I would have stayed a virgin and would have married a virgin.
In Elohim sight, that is the only way.
Now I am left with no other choices.
The only choice I have now is single.
That is it.

Be honest with each lady before your heart gets attached to her.
Because it well be hard to separate if that happens.
And do not listen to anyone.
Marry a virgin.

I'm proud of you Bro' !!!

Upvote 0

lightlyprinted

Jun 30, 2007
Texas
✟15,129.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

False!!!
Yeshua would never break covenant!

Upvote 0

KitKatMatt

May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
staff edit

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Cearbhall
Upvote 0

Wryetui

IC XC NIKA
Dec 15, 2014
The Carpathian Garden
✟15,670.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I'm talking more about the rhetoric of it making you a "used good." Damaged in a way that can't be undone, as if repentance and God's forgiveness suddenly don't mean anything if you *gasp* have sex, of all things! Chris was saying this a couple pages back, and I've seen other people say similar things in this thread:

This way of thinking seems utterly ridiculous to me.
Then, Christianity seems utterly ridiculous to you. The values of preserving, of virginity, of chastity and purity are getting lost in this society moved by sin.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Then, Christianity seems utterly ridiculous to you. The values of preserving, of virginity, of chastity and purity are getting lost in this society moved by sin.

That shouldn't be surprising, though.

A lot of Christians cherry pick what they want to adhere to and what they don't.

How many Christians get drunk and see no wrong in it? How many lie and see no wrong in it? Some of the worst liars are the loudest advocates of Christianity and paradoxically hold positions of great power.

We live in troubled times, my friend.

Upvote 0

MiniEmu

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 19, 2015
UK
✟21,720.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Wait just here my friend.

Viewing a fixation upon physical virginity, on believing that the sexual reward of two virgins coming together and being "the first", viewing it as a God given blessing for all the years of hard work warding off temptation, does not come from any consistent message in the Bible.

Is it good to resist temptation? Yes. Is it good to never stumble on this front? Yes. Very, very few are arguing against the values of such things.

The issue is the elevation of virginity above all else, to the point where the prospect of someone you are very compatible with, who now walks a God pleasing life, at some point in their life before Christ (or dare I say it during Christ) stumbled. If I were to elevate other aspects of our faith to the same level as virginity, to use the same terms as others do in regards to those who have stumbled or had lives prior to Christ that were not Christ like, then who would convert? Who would come to the community of Christ if all they see is their past being used to mark them out as different?

To use those values as preferences in selecting a spouse, to make sure you are happy making a life long vow to this person, is not wrong. But the anxiety people feel, and dare I say it the occasional sense of entitlement that people express... is that the Christian way? I know no teachings that dictate a life prior to Christ, a life of mistakes, cannot be undone by one who seeks atonement for the sins they indulged in prior to seeing them as sins. I have seen priests admonish young men (and it does tend to be young men, or select older men, in my experience) for becoming so fixated on the virginity of their hypothetical brides, not because they believe certain values are ridiculous but because the fixation upon them is damaging to their view of fellow sisters (and brothers) in Christ.

Terminology is important. Understanding of the difference between someone who is actively and wilfully sinning and someone who has made mistakes in the past is an important part of Christianity. Embrace, accept, love. Preach the Bible, preach the values God looks upon as important, but it is dangerous ground to start believing the worth of a spouse can be measured in whether or not they are a virgin. It is a personal preference, not a measuring stick by which you can determine how good a partner they will make in life. Which is what some people seem to be inferring.

and no, my view is not based on my own sexual experiences. it is possible for one to not put virginity on a pedestal and have not engaged in sexual activities.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hi, I'm going to try to make this short.
Basically I need another Christian to talk to about this issue.
Nobody else seems to understand me.
I'm a 19 year old male, and I am a virgin. Abstinence is a huge deal to me and always has been. I've always been hoping that my future wife would be a virgin as well. I've recently met a girl at church and I really, really like her. She's so sweet and loves God very much. But she's 22 and I'm not sure if she's a virgin. We've been talking a lot and seeing each other outside of church but it's still a mystery to me. She wears a purity ring but didn't say if she was still a virgin she just said it's her promise to God to practice abstinence. I don't know a polite way to ask, but it's really bugging me. I don't want to fall for her and find out she's not a virgin because it would make it really difficult for me to have a serious relationship with her.
I've tried to talk to friends about this but nobody gets why it is so important to me, one friend called me a "sexist pig" for feeling this way. Is it wrong? What can I do? What should I do? I can't just change the way I feel about purity and everything. I don't want to be with someone who didn't wait for me, but at the same time I've already developed feelings for her and I can't make myself stop seeing her if she wasn't.
It's not wrong.

Insecure and small minded, but not wrong, per se.

Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,830.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
That's interesting. I haven't heard that before. Are you getting that from scripture?
Yes, Jesus blood breaks off topic, covenants made with Satan, and covenants made is sex outside marriage... Jesus blood is more real and strong than sin or covenants made in the blood of lambs and bulls...

Jesus blood is for our restoration and peace. It is a charismatic practice.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That all depends on what side of the mirror you are on , as your on the virgin side because you just stopped playing XBOX after 19 years solid , Why should it bother you how the opposite sex got their pleasure ? you were too busy gaming ,and i was slipping her a length , you cannot put a tack where a nail has been :) hope this helps
Also hayes my last name Yesah is correct word , anagram of mine ! Yeshua LOL
Nail holes don't have natural elasticity and musculature

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Then, Christianity seems utterly ridiculous to you.
No, just this particular belief, which is not held by many Christians. I myself was raised Catholic and went to Catholic schools, and this kind of rhetoric was considered illogical and psychologically destructive. My worth as a person has nothing to do with my sexual history.
The values of preserving, of virginity, of chastity and purity are getting lost in this society moved by sin.
Again, I don't understand. I'm not saying that you shouldn't view pre-marital sex as a sin, but there's a huge difference between saying that it's wrong and saying that it makes you the equivalent of rotten food or a used tissue, or whatever else. Does that sound like something Jesus would say?
Wait just here my friend.

Viewing a fixation upon physical virginity, on believing that the sexual reward of two virgins coming together and being "the first", viewing it as a God given blessing for all the years of hard work warding off temptation, does not come from any consistent message in the Bible.
This is my point. There is absolutely no reason to believe that God would not view a "born-again virgin" in the same way as a virgin, or that having pre-marital sex alters a person irreversibly in a way that other sins do not.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
You clearly can't see the gravity of pre-marital sex, you clearly don't see the gravity of having sex outside marriage.
Obviously not. Can you explain to me how you think it damages a person permanently in a way that other sins do not? What is the basis for equating a person's worth in the eyes of God with his or her sexual past, regardless of repentance? Why is it not enough to say that it is wrong and can have real consequences, as with other sins?

Upvote 0

Wryetui

IC XC NIKA
Dec 15, 2014
The Carpathian Garden
✟15,670.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Because all the sins are made outside of the body, but the only sin that is made inside the body is sex led by lust. All your life you have to do everything God intended you to, if you lost your virginity before marriage clearly you weren't listening to God, but it can be forgiven in the eyes of God by confession and repentance.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Because all the sins are made outside of the body, but the only sin that is made inside the body is sex led by lust.
That's not true, so it seems like a bit of a stretch.
All your life you have to do everything God intended you to, if you lost your virginity before marriage clearly you weren't listening to God, but it can be forgiven in the eyes of God by confession and repentance.
So it's not different after all? It doesn't make a person dirty or damaged?

Upvote 0