Is it wrong to listen to Heavy Metal and Ozzie Osborne?

Jackson Cooper

Sep 18, 2017
Nowhere
✟37,463.00
Country
Afghanistan
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I'd be careful with some of these supposed quotes, plus there's just too much to contradict it. Geezer Butler has said many times that he dabbled in the occult in 1969, got into it, visited magic stores, and one time believed he conjured up an evil spirit. It scared him so badly that he said he never messed with it again....The band had an upside down cross in the sleeve of their first album. The record company put it in there against their will. They always wore crosses on the stage, and when some Satanic weirdos showed up at many of their concerts, they said it was disconcerting and not the demographic they had hoped for.

Black Sabbath is the title of an old, cheesy movie. And with songs like "After Forever" that encourage faith and affirming Christ, it really muddies the waters. Heavy metal was more of a horror spook movie genre and real Satanism and legitimate demonology with these guys is doubtful.

For me, Dio was my favorite singer for Sabbath. My favorite Sabbath tune of all time is most definitely "Children of the Sea." Incredible and beautiful. Most Sabbath songs just use those tough-sounding E and F power chords and they tune down. It sounds more menacing that it is.

I remember people getting their underwear wadded up about the line "just like witches at Black Masses!" in the song "War Pigs." The point wasn't Satanic. The lyric is comparing Vietnam War generals to a bunch of fiendish violent witches celebrating the destruction they've created.

I'm not a huge fan or anything, I just think these guys were a bunch of drunken Brits who grew up in a bad way. They lived in Birmingham, England during the post-WWII era and they said the crime, poverty, and black coal and pollution gave them a different perspective on life than the rosy naivete of hippies in the rest of the world. They wanted to make hippies take a chill pill. LOL So they had a darker take on life looking at what humanity had done in the wake of post-War UK.

But hey, that's just my take. I prefer Iron Maiden, another band accused of Old Nick-lovin' LOL
I'm just hesitant on adding Black Sabbath songs to my collection due to the name of the band now. If an individual song doesn't bother me, then I won't be bothered.

Upvote 0

Jackson Cooper

Sep 18, 2017
Nowhere
✟37,463.00
Country
Afghanistan
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I live in Nashville, Music City USA.
We have some musicians and music industry people in our parish.
We have celebrity guests every now and then.

imho - this is just me; what you choose for entertainment is a personal choice for your own benefit or detriment. Choose wisely.
Do you think it'd be wrong to buy a song from Osborne because that would mean I would be supporting evil?

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, like I said, "Black Sabbath" was a cheesy Boris Karloff (the guy who played the original MGM Frankenstein) early 60's drive-in horror movie. The band got the name from that. I'm a huge fan of Steely Dan. Google where the band got that band title and you might blush! I love lots of bands, but don't care much where they got their names. Frankly, ACDC, though not a bit Satanic, was far worse than Sabbath. ACDC songs are about hit men or super graphic sex themes or just over-the-top vulgar in nature, yet nobody worries about them due to the fact that there's no 666 title.

Personally, I think Madonna, Miley Cyrus, Katy Perry, and all these other modern pop chicks are WAY more ungodly than anything Black Sabbath could muster.

But you have to do what you think is right.

I'm just hesitant on adding Black Sabbath songs to my collection due to the name of the band now. If an individual song doesn't bother me, then I won't be bothered.

Reactions: Haipule
Upvote 0

Haipule

Jun 20, 2017
Honokawai, Maui HI
✟32,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
All music itself is just a mathematical equation and not "disorganized" as some have said that "rock is". "Listen to that disorganized music and you will have a disorganized soul"--Hogwash! Well, keep listening to that thar country music and live under a rock!

Someone once quipped that, "Music should NOT be played on the black keys" not knowing that Amazing Grace is only played on the black keys of a piano!

There is NO word, in Hebrew or Greek, that can be translated as "evil" in an English sense.

The word translated as "evil" in Greek is ponEros and means: annoying. I do not know what anyone means when they say something "is evil"! But, I can tell you one thing for sure--Satan is annoying! :)

I once was in a church when during the song service a Church Lady Biddy complained, "I thought I felt a beat!"

One of my favorite bands from Portland OR--Satan's Pilgrims(I know all the words! :) ):

Love that beat! Enjoy!

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What's your take on the lyrics of Mr. Crowley?

dunno because I never really thought about that song. like I said, sometimes folks make the lyrics to be more than they actually are.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟635,056.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Do you think it'd be wrong to buy a song from Osborne because that would mean I would be supporting evil?
I have a song by Ozzy in my iTunes library, one, and not likely your first guess.
I can like music in spite of the lyric and sometimes I like the lyric in spite of the music.
I have a wide variety of material in my library/collection, including some relaitively current material (e.g. I think 'Ain't it Fun' by Paramour is one of the most well crafted, well produced pop tunes I've heard in years).

I grew up in the 70s, graduated H.S. in 1981.. college/career in the 80s. I was a 'pop music' guy, with a tendency to favor the "The" bands (The Knack, The Pretenders, The Producers, The Tubes..The.. etc.). I don't listen to it very much now, but I get a nostalgic streak every now and again. Ozzy wasn't my thing. I did see Van Halen with D.L.R three times. I liked Toto from the first album and have all of their albums except the one with the cover tunes and the collections/hits compilations.

I have good friends that tour with 'name-brand' artists, they're not bad people. Like I said, we have some artists, musicians and industry people in our parish. They're just making a living playing guitar just like I try to make a living making the electronic media junk work in this building.

I don't know that i can answer the question for you.
I try not to ascribe too much either way to popular music.
otoh, I deeply appreciate the care the Church has taken to maintain the integrity of the hymns/chants we have in our services, this is a much more important issue for me - and I was a every week "Praise Band" member in my former evangelical church (Nashville joke; You are 'so Nashville' if you lose your record contract and get kicked out of the praise band at church. - which is funny here because it has an element of truth to it).

Upvote 0

Jackson Cooper

Sep 18, 2017
Nowhere
✟37,463.00
Country
Afghanistan
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I have a song by Ozzy in my iTunes library, one, and not likely your first guess.
I can like music in spite of the lyric and sometimes I like the lyric in spite of the music.
I have a wide variety of material in my library/collection, including some relaitively current material (e.g. I think 'Ain't it Fun' by Paramour is one of the most well crafted, well produced pop tunes I've heard in years).

I grew up in the 70s, graduated H.S. in 1981.. college/career in the 80s. I was a 'pop music' guy, with a tendency to favor the "The" bands (The Knack, The Pretenders, The Producers, The Tubes..The.. etc.). I don't listen to it very much now, but I get a nostalgic streak every now and again. Ozzy wasn't my thing. I did see Van Halen with D.L.R three times. I liked Toto from the first album and have all of their albums except the one with the cover tunes and the collections/hits compilations.

I have good friends that tour with 'name-brand' artists, they're not bad people. Like I said, we have some artists, musicians and industry people in our parish. They're just making a living playing guitar just like I try to make a living making the electronic media junk work in this building.

otoh, I deeply appreciate the care the Church has taken to maintain the integrity of the hymns/chants we have in our services, this is a much more important issue for me - and I was a every week "Praise Band" member in my former evangelical church (Nashville joke; You are 'so Nashville' if you lose your record contract and get kicked out of the praise band at church. - which is funny here because it has an element of truth to it).
So it is not sinful to give Osborne, or his record company, money for a song that isn't objectionable?

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟635,056.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
So it is not sinful to give Osborne, or his record company, money for a song that isn't objectionable?
I don't know, that's not my jurisdiction. What may/may not be sinful for me could impact you very differently. If the song gives rise to passions that are sinful then it would be best avoided. If not, then it's not for me to judge.

imho and otoh, I don't tend to see it any more or less sinful than buying a Fender guitar, or a meal from O'Charley's , or a shirt from Sears or shoes from Nike, coffee at Starbucks... etc.
Maybe those places support more evil than Ozzy.. or not.. I don't know.
I stay out of coffeeshops (all of them) during fasting periods - not because I can't get a soy latte' that's fast acceptible but because spending $5+ for a beverage seems counter to the spirit of the fast and I'd rather keep a few bucks in my pocket to give to a homeless person if they ask. So for me; this is more of problem than hearing Crazy Train in passing because I like my coffee, a lot. Ozzy I can take or leave.
..but this is just me. You could differ.

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I’m the same. And as for your Toto reference, you’re my kind of guy!! I’ve seen them three times live. Amazing. I’ve seen them with Bobby Kimball and Joseph Williams fronting them. Shook hands with Bobby Kimball. Lukather is my guitar hero. They’ve made little that I don’t like.

Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In a head to head matchup, Ronny James Dio slays Miley every time. ^_^

as an aside, I will say I agree with gurney that Miley Cyrus's of the world are far worse. because it's everything sensual in a cute, far more approachable package.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Heavy Metal is quite cautionary and helpful!! Dio tells us “Don’t Talk With Strangers,” he reminds us to be ok about being “The Last in Line,” that when swimming we should be a “Holy Diver,” and Rainbows in the Dark!

Upvote 0

Haipule

Jun 20, 2017
Honokawai, Maui HI
✟32,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
as an aside, I will say I agree with gurney that Miley Cyrus's of the world are far worse. because it's everything sensual in a cute, far more approachable package.
Miley Cyrus establishes a double standard. She can pose nude kissing a sledgehammer and people call it "art" or, "edgy".

When I tried the same thing at Home Depot, I got banned for life! :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Miley Cyrus establishes a double standard. She can pose nude kissing a sledgehammer and people call it "art" or, "edgy".

it's because of Home Depot. try it again at Lowe's.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Actually try Sears. With the way they’ve been sliding down for years, they could use the publicity!!! ^_^ Posing inappropriately with Craftsman socket sets!

it's because of Home Depot. try it again at Lowe's.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

hmmm, banned for a sledgehammer make-out....now, that's the power of Home Depot

Upvote 0

Hermit76

You can call me Paisios
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
✟291,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

You should probably stay away from the power tools.

Upvote 0