Is it unhealthy to think about death too much?

Take Heart

Be encouraged ♥
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2015
Toronto
✟335,020.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I guess it depends on how much it's affecting other areas of your life. Is your pondering on death, in the way you decribed above, robbing you from living your life and being in the present moment. I think it can be healthy but again, it really depends if it's, in any way, disrupting other areas of your life in a negative way (robbing you of sleep, anxiety, preoccupied with thoughts of it constantly throughout the day that you miss out on the beauty of life/living in the present moment).

• Agree
Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

DeepWater

Just The Truth
Aug 6, 2011
Israel (usually)
✟16,539.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Are you more sentimental about your own passing, than someone else's?
I think I might be. I feel really selfish saying that.

-
Its a good thing to positively reflect on death, to consider and reflect consistently on the end of our earthly experience.
This allows us to focus on the main thing....and that is...God, and what is waiting for us beyond our Death.
It also helps us to focus our lives as we realize that we are constantly only one stopped heartbeat away from eternity.
Its "a positive" to reflect on this as it allows a bit of "quickening" to occur within your "mental part" that will help you walk the walk and talk the talk....minute by minute.

Upvote 0

OpenYourBibles

Jan 26, 2017
United States
✟11,608.00
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Married
Phillipians 4:4-9 tells us exactly what we should think on. If you are on the right path... and stay on the right path... you never have to worry about ending up in the wrong place. Why obsess about death when you could use all of that brain power focusing on LIFE!?

Upvote 0

Theo Book

Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Central Florida
✟59,258.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
NB: not a thread about suicide

I mean as Christians, we are supposed to ponder on the shortness of our earthly life versus eternal life.
I tend to be obsessive about it though. Wondering about the last hour of my death. How much faith I will have. How much courage. How close I will feel to God.
Some will see it as negative I suppose. But I think it is only natural to be concerned about it.
I think about it every day, to be honest. Oh dear! :)

I think you would have to be dead to not think about death. Even more important to the Christian, however, is to think about life; living it and leading it.

I once counseled a boy who was always offering excuses for failure. I told him this -

"John was a very conscientious student, and good at everything he did. And he went to work at a newly acquired job, after school and between grades, during summers. He was so well liked his boss offered to hire him upon graduation, full time, and with very good benefits.

Upon graduation, he was expected early one Monday morning of the following week.
His early reporting time of 7:a.m. came and went, as also did 8:00a.m. and 9:1.m.

At 10:30 a.m. John showed up looking quite sheepish, and told his boss, "Sorry I'm late, but my car kept taking me down to the beach."

When his boss stopped laughing, he said "YOU'RE FIRED!"

The problem was, John's car had no say in where it went, other than to breakdown completely, in which case John would have to have it repaired.

I then told the student, "raise your hand" and he did. I asked him "Is that hand you?"
He appeared to not understand the question. I restated it - "Is that hand you, or is that your hand."
Upon this clarification, he responded quite easily, "It's my hand."

"Right," I told him.

"When your car gets dirty, do you wash it?" wondering where this was going, he responded "Of course. Everyone does."

I asked "When it get low on fuel, do you buy fuel?"

He said "Of course, everyone does."

I asked "when you had to go to school, how did you persuade your car to take you where you needed to be?"

He looked sheepish again, and said "I don't know." But he would not look me in the eye.

I pointed out to him, "That body that caused that car to keep taking you to the beach is not YOU."

He looked perplexed and asked "Whose is it?"

I quoted (1 Corinthians 6:19-20) to him, and explained

"That hand is not you, and it is not your body, it is the Lord's servant, given to you as an aid in service to God."

"That body in which you dwell for a time, is simply what God provided to you for a temporary
transportation, but your transportation is not in charge, YOU are."

Many people spend a lifetime subject to the whims and foolishness of their bodies, and whine "I can't help myself," or, "I have an addiction I can't get over." Neither of which is true.

They are simply letting their transportation lead their life.

The Christian does not. He/She CANNOT. Because you are not your own, you were bought with a price. And YOU are in charge, not your body with its weaknesses and temptations.

Thinking about death should serve to remind us of living, and never be a problem to the Christian.

Personally, I am not afraid of dying, I am much more afraid of being killed. Like Islamic activity, for example. I just want to be ready, and remain faithful till my Father calls me home.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Johnas

May 16, 2013
✟8,144.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
...we are supposed to ponder on the shortness of our earthly life versus eternal life.
I got news for ya... you're already living your eternal life. The only thing that will change in your eternal life when your tainted earthly flesh dies, is your perspective of it.

Upvote 0

marineimaging

Texas Baptist now living in Colorado
Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I mean as Christians, we are supposed to ponder on the shortness of our earthly life versus eternal life.
I tend to be obsessive about it though. Wondering about the last hour of my death. How much faith I will have. How much courage. How close I will feel to God.
Some will see it as negative I suppose. But I think it is only natural to be concerned about it.
I think about it every day, to be honest. Oh dear! :)
We can "what if" ourselves to death. We should be focused on what we can do while we are alive. Such as help someone in need. Volunteer to help at ministry outreach center. Teach a child new Christian things. Get busy doing the Lord's work and you won't have time to contemplate death. As far as worrying about it, what if the rapture happens just before a speeding truck hits you crashing through the window of a nursing home while you are in a wheelchair at 106 years of age? Had you been helping in the ministry outreach down the hall you would still be taken while the truck crashes through the window of your nursing home bedroom. And all the contemplating you would have done would have been for naught. I wouldn't worry about it. I can assure you that you will die of an arrested heart someday within the next 100 years.

• Informative
Upvote 0

chihwahli

Apr 29, 2012
✟20,987.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, a reply to the thread starter:
2 Corinthians 10:5 (NIV): 5 We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.

Romans 12:2 (KJV): And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. The mind and heart need to be changed to conform what God wants. The more you are in Christ Jesus, the more you think, feel and walk as Him. Anything thought

Your thoughts about death are not from God, God is life. So it is better to think about live and enjoy every second that you still have. This means stop focusing on what is perhaps going to happen in the future, you start focusing here and now, focusing about the live that is still in you. Death is just a door that lasts, 0000000000000000001 sec as you pass away into eternity. Eternity with Christ Jesus will last eternity. Easy choice if you ask me.

This way of thinking, positive thinking, will seep through your actions, your way you talk to people, and influence not only your own life in a positive way, but also give others hope.

Make a choose and ask the Lord Jesus to help you changing your mind. Only He can....
For many are prisoners in their own mind.... the bible says truth will set you free.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I tend to be obsessive about it though. Wondering about the last hour of my death.

Not as a matter to obsess about. However, I do know that it is the grace of God that I can take another breath, or that my heart can continue to beat. Saying that, I can also say that it makes me thankful for His grace to keep my body functioning.

In my will, I have the following paragraph: The basic principle in all these things is to let me go if I have started to die. I understand that I have to trust God for every breath that I take, for every beat of my heart, and for the functioning of my body. With that in mind, I am of the opinion that if He wants to call me to my reward, no amount of emergency medical care and no machine will keep me alive. To the contrary, if He wants me to stay alive, He will keep me here without the tubes, etc.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
BTW, Martin Heidegger said that his advice for happiness was spending time in graveyards thinking about death.

Forgive me, but I disagree with that. Spending time in graveyards thinking about death in simply not healthy. "Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death! Go out there and live LIVE LIVE" (quoting from Auntie Mame). Along the way, while you are living, you may find some other traveler that needs the love of Jesus, and you can share that with him.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When I was ill with high blood pressure and had a painful kidney stone, I thought I might die. I had already made my will, durable power of attorney and living will. Another time, I had been testifying against Islam online and thought I might get killed. For four years I lived in a big city with high crime. Semi-auto gunfire was heard some nights. I worried some mugger might take my life as one of my neighbors had been killed for not giving them money or trying to resist. A supreme court justice was jogging near my high rise and some kids attempted to rob him.

I am not supposed to cherish my life too much, lest I lose it for not taking acceptable risks.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I think about my day every day. I am not anxious because I know Jesus and his merciful grace. I know I will see myself in heaven when I pass away. My only concern is the nature of my death. Will it be quiet and peaceful in my sleep or will it be painful? That I don't know.

I want to die like my grandfather, sleeping, and not screaming in terror like the other four passengers in the car he was driving.(lol)

No, really. My grandfather was about 88 when he died. He had just had a full checkup, and he was buttoning his shirt and flirting with the nurse. Suddenly, he just fell over, dead.

• Haha
Reactions: AlexDTX
Upvote 0

Kutte

Dec 30, 2007
USA
✟31,666.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Green
I guess it depends on how much it's affecting other areas of your life. Is your pondering on death, in the way you decribed above, robbing you from living your life and being in the present moment. I think it can be healthy but again, it really depends if it's, in any way, disrupting other areas of your life in a negative way (robbing you of sleep, anxiety, preoccupied with thoughts of it constantly throughout the day that you miss out on the beauty of life/living in the present moment).

Hi Spirit Reborn,

Please refrain from using red letters when replying to a posting. It is not only annoying but considered yelling.
My best

Upvote 0

Kutte

Dec 30, 2007
USA
✟31,666.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Green
Not as a matter to obsess about. However, I do know that it is the grace of God that I can take another breath, or that my heart can continue to beat. Saying that, I can also say that it makes me thankful for His grace to keep my body functioning.

In my will, I have the following paragraph: The basic principle in all these things is to let me go if I have started to die. I understand that I have to trust God for every breath that I take, for every beat of my heart, and for the functioning of my body. With that in mind, I am of the opinion that if He wants to call me to my reward, no amount of emergency medical care and no machine will keep me alive. To the contrary, if He wants me to stay alive, He will keep me here without the tubes, etc.

Hi Monk Brenda,

Being confronted with the possibility of 'dying' one day serves to appreciate 'life'. But then... Is there really 'death'?
I don't think there is but merely a transformation process to be experienced.
I have talked to a neighbor about this one day. She said to have had a death experience while being very sick.
But the 'other side' refused to accept her and send her back implying her time has not yet come.
God bless

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,559.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Forgive me, but I disagree with that. Spending time in graveyards thinking about death in simply not healthy. "Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death! Go out there and live LIVE LIVE" (quoting from Auntie Mame). Along the way, while you are living, you may find some other traveler that needs the love of Jesus, and you can share that with him.

I should have figured a monk would have a completely different perspective, but then I know the eastern liturgies well. There's a reason you guys all wear black, and it's not about color coordination. But for us folks in the world, I don't think we appreciate that perspective very often.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Being confronted with the possibility of 'dying' one day serves to appreciate 'life'. But then... Is there really 'death'?
I don't think there is but merely a transformation process to be experienced.
I have talked to a neighbor about this one day. She said to have had a death experience while being very sick.
But the 'other side' refused to accept her and send her back implying her time has not yet come.
God bless

It's more like a saying some monks have. You fall down and then get up. You fall down and get up. One time you fall down, and get up on the other side of the Jordan river.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I should have figured a monk would have a completely different perspective, but then I know the eastern liturgies well. There's a reason you guys all wear black, and it's not about color coordination. But for us folks in the world, I don't think we appreciate that perspective very often.

Oh? and monks are not allowed to have opinions?

(Not trying to start an argument, just making a comment.)

Upvote 0

Stefo

Dec 17, 2016
Sydney
✟17,652.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

I think about it every day, to be honest:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Take Heart

Be encouraged ♥
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2015
Toronto
✟335,020.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi Spirit Reborn,

Please refrain from using red letters when replying to a posting. It is not only annoying but considered yelling.
My best
Hi Kutte,
I apologize if my preference in my pink font color annoys and gives that impression as this is the first I've ever heard of it. Neither of those was my intention.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,559.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Oh? and monks are not allowed to have opinions?)

No, monks can have opinions, Father Brendan. It was just my attempt at humor. I suppose the grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence.

Upvote 0