Is it time to stop policing the black community?

Is it time to stop policing the black community?

• Total voters

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟162,345.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Maybe they should be authorized to police their own communities.

And there is that racial assumption again, that black and white people are not one community. Until that issue is dealt with the issue will not be settled.

Upvote 0

LockeeDeck

Mar 14, 2021
Los Angeles
✟31,239.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
For the sake of racial justice perhaps we need different sets of laws for each ethnic group.

That defacto already exists, different groups are treated differently under the law. This is shown in one of the biggest objections that police unions have to universal body cams in that they would have to enforce laws on everyone instead of exercising discretion and letting people go with a warning. In other words they would have to eliminate the white privilege they grant and in doing so they would show how harsh and unfair the laws and actual enforcement actually are.

Law enforcement in the black community has been troubling for both sides. Maybe they should be authorized to police their own communities. Thoughts?

Having police live in the communities they police is a real idea that people have brought forward and would likely lead to better outcomes.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Having police live in the communities they police is a real idea that people have brought forward and would likely lead to better outcomes.
(From post #36)
So how are you gonna accomplish having cops patrolling the neighborhoods they live in? You gonna pay police who patrol high crime slums a lower wage so they can not afford to live anywhere else? Then pay the police who patrol the expensive safe neighborhoods a higher wage so they can afford to live in the expensive neighborhoods they patrol? What do you think would happen if all the white cops who patrol safe neighborhoods get paid more than the black cops who patrol the dangerous ones?

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
For the sake of racial justice perhaps we need different sets of laws for each ethnic group. Law enforcement in the black community has been troubling for both sides. Maybe they should be authorized to police their own communities. Thoughts?
Or perhaps we should get the media to quit presenting a biased version of policing.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For the sake of racial justice perhaps we need different sets of laws for each ethnic group. Law enforcement in the black community has been troubling for both sides. Maybe they should be authorized to police their own communities. Thoughts?

I doubt the world would be much different if policing was scaled back. But unlike most, I have faith in humanity. I also am not a fearful person.

Upvote 0

GOD Shines Forth!

Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2019
United States
✟355,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I wasn't aware the Bible had the force of law in the United States. When did that change?

The person I was addressing is a Christian. If I had been addressing you, you’d be correct!

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
No, you don't throw something away just because it's not working, you fix it. It's time to start correctly policing black (and all) communities.

As for your whole thing about "they" being "authorized" for this or that community, I have no idea what you're talking about... "They" are "authorized" to police any community, just like anyone else is authorized to police any community. Do you think there is a separate process and policy and procedure for black people whereby additional "authorization" is necessary for them to become cops? We know that there is a systemic racism in place, which is what you seem to be referring to, but there is no formal and explicit restriction on "they" being "authorized" to become police in any community. I guess at least your post acknowledges that there is an implicit, systemic racism, though.

• Agree
Reactions: ToddNotTodd
Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The goal is not to ignore law breaking, but to enforce laws without resort to lethal violence.
Often that is going to be impossible
Counterfeiting and drug possession, for example, are nonviolent offenses, but two of the recent killings were committed by police officers who used lethal violence on people suspected of these nonviolent offenses.
I don't think the vast majority of recent killings by police were for counterfeiting and drug possession. Perhaps the ones the media focused on; but there is a lot more going on than what the media reports.

• Agree
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

This is akin to Sanger's abortion tactic and Johnson's "Model Cities" policy: Enact policies and laws to destroy the black community, and make everyone think it's a populous idea literally to the point where the marginalized in the community are calling for those very policies. You don't get more racist than that.

Upvote 0

GOD Shines Forth!

Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2019
United States
✟355,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
1. I was speaking in a general sense, not specifically to Christians.

2. Blind respect for authority leads to abuse. See the Catholic Church. Police have done much to damage their relationships with the black community over the past decades. If they want respect, they need to work on rebuilding those relationships first.

I agree about "blind" respect, but your comment read as more extreme to me. Believers have many godly examples in Christ and others of a HIGH respect towards authority even in the face of extreme abuse. I’m not claiming to have risen to that, I have a rebel element as an American that rears up. I do like in Acts how Paul challenged due to his Roman citizenship, and also made the jailers walk him OUT FRONT (they wanted to sneak them out the back)!

Upvote 0

LockeeDeck

Mar 14, 2021
Los Angeles
✟31,239.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
(From post #36)
So how are you gonna accomplish having cops patrolling the neighborhoods they live in? You gonna pay police who patrol high crime slums a lower wage so they can not afford to live anywhere else? Then pay the police who patrol the expensive safe neighborhoods a higher wage so they can afford to live in the expensive neighborhoods they patrol? What do you think would happen if all the white cops who patrol safe neighborhoods get paid more than the black cops who patrol the dangerous ones?

Some ideas have been floated for this very issue, I think one was to use state funds to grant bonuses to cops who choose to live in the community they police. Some police departments have a hard residency clause forcing them to live in their jurisdiction, of course that's only in departments with large jurisdictions. It is a hard problem but just because it's hard doesn't mean nothing should be attempted.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Which is the point of the thread. No enforcement eliminates noncompliance, along with the associated dangers. A win for everyone.
But that is stupid.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Some ideas have been floated for this very issue, I think one was to use state funds to grant bonuses to cops who choose to live in the community they police. Some police departments have a hard residency clause forcing them to live in their jurisdiction, of course that's only in departments with large jurisdictions. It is a hard problem but just because it's hard doesn't mean nothing should be attempted.
But the Officers who are forced to patrol the dangerous high crime economically oppressed neighborhoods are not going to choose to live there and raise their families in such a dangerous setting; though they may work in a dangerous area, they will want to live where it is safe.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
They are authorized. They are part of the We The People that establish law and order in this country.

They are not some subject race upon which policing is imposed from whitelandia. But when it starts to feel like that, it's no surprise the black community wants more community input on policing.

Lots to ponder there.

Upvote 0