Is it sinful if we break certain company rules?

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Hi,

Is it sin if we break rules such as this:
Account sharing is not allowed for Netflix. Yet, I share my account with my cousin because they are in a poor financial situation but wants to watch some shows. I broke the company rule, did I sin?

Another one is this: account sharing is not allowed, but my mom struggles with language so I use her account to do what she wants to accomplish (e.g., publish an advertisement for her property or something).

In the first situation, isn’t that what the $11.99/mo Family Plan is for? And with the $7.99 plan, multiple users can’t even watch at the same time.

i don’t see anything sinful here, because your cousin is family and Netflix has a Family Plan for the use of such a scenario. There is also nothing wrong in my opinion, morally at least, with paying for a service for a third party who would not otherwise be able to pay for it.

In the second account, as long as you are following your mother’s instructions that is completely morally justifiable. Depending on how much she struggles, and if it is getting worse due to for example, dementia , you might want to talk to a lawyer with your mother and look into options with that lawyer. There are things like a durable power of attorney which can allow one person to represent another in various business matters, even if the latter person becomes incapacitated. Note that this is not legal advice, rather I am suggesting you get legal advice (which in many places you can get for free for seniors via Legal Aid services) in order that you could maximally assist your mother.

My mother was temporarily disabled due to a neural disease from which she was healed*, a few years ago. During that time I availed myself of a large number of resources in order to assist her, because she was for a time almost fully incapacitated (too weak to move around, disoriented, with some dementia).

I think you are a wonderful and special person. I don’t believe you are doing anything wrong, but your deep and very godly sense of compunction which motivated you to post this thread I think reflects positively on your character. God bless you! :)

*I regard her amazing recovery as a miracle and gift from God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi,

Is it sin if we break rules such as this:
Account sharing is not allowed for Netflix. Yet, I share my account with my cousin because they are in a poor financial situation but wants to watch some shows. I broke the company rule, did I sin?

Another one is this: account sharing is not allowed, but my mom struggles with language so I use her account to do what she wants to accomplish (e.g., publish an advertisement for her property or something).
Call Netflix and ask them.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
By monopolizing a market and overcharging customers. They likely also contribute to the exploitation of workers in the industry.

Do you have evidence that Netflix overcharges its customers? How a can one exploit a customer? I don't think it is actually possible to exploit a customer. Even if one were to overcharge a customer that is not exploitation it might be fraud or a billing mistake or stupidity. It certainly would cause the customer to demand refund of the excess charges or sue or simply quit using the services of that company. To exploit someone one has to have some way to exert control over them. Media companies do not enjoy that kind of power over their customers. As a matter of fact no company does. Only governments have that kind of power over their customers as even though their customers can just stop using the services, they cannot stop paying for them. That situation would entail real exploitation, unlike the imaginary exploitation of your post.

AFAIK Netflix does not have a monopoly nor have I seen any evidence that it exploits any workers.
I find it hard to see what Netflix engages in as industrial and I find it hard to imagine the employees of Netflix as workers in proletariat sense of the word workers.

Upvote 0