Is it sinful if we break certain company rules?

DirectionSeeker

Jun 12, 2020
Stockholm
✟51,816.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

Is it sin if we break rules such as this:
Account sharing is not allowed for Netflix. Yet, I share my account with my cousin because they are in a poor financial situation but wants to watch some shows. I broke the company rule, did I sin?

Another one is this: account sharing is not allowed, but my mom struggles with language so I use her account to do what she wants to accomplish (e.g., publish an advertisement for her property or something).

Last edited:

DirectionSeeker

Jun 12, 2020
Stockholm
✟51,816.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The first situation is wrong. The second is fine.

If the first is sinful, did the person sin assuming he didn't know it was sinful or is it still sin, even when done without knowing? There seems to be in scripture this talk about not being guilty for certain sins if done without knowing, but they would have been sin if the person knew.

Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Port town on west (tan sands) shore line of MI
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am not familiar with Sweden's rules on this. Are you saying that you do the work for your mom on her computer or networking her account to your location/different computer?

Upvote 0

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi @DirectionSeeker ! I once downloaded a movie, and the internet service provider sent a paper saying 'we see what are you doing'. So netflix can see those signatures that are signed in wherever they are and if they never say anything to you. You're golden, though they could if they desired to.

The second one seems alright. Hope that helps your mom out a lot!

God bless.

Upvote 0

DirectionSeeker

Jun 12, 2020
Stockholm
✟51,816.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi @DirectionSeeker ! I once downloaded a movie, and the internet service provider sent a paper saying 'we see what are you doing'. So netflix can see those signatures that are signed in wherever they are and if they never say anything to you. You're golden, though they could if they desired to.

The second one seems alright. Hope that helps your mom out a lot!

God bless.

Hi friend,

So you would not say I sinned in the first case scenario (assuming no warning is given) even though its against Netflix rules to account share?

Upvote 0

DirectionSeeker

Jun 12, 2020
Stockholm
✟51,816.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am not familiar with Sweden's rules on this. Are you saying that you do the work for your mom on her computer or networking her account to your location/different computer?
I do the work for her in my own computer, in a different location. Would that be sin? I don't feel convicted by the Holy spirit, but just wanting to make sure.

Upvote 0

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi friend,

So you would not say I sinned in the first case scenario (assuming no warning is given) even though its against Netflix rules to account share?

Hey brother @DirectionSeeker I wouldn't worry about that.

Remember this. Sin has been paid for, for you, your family, and your friends.

As long they haven't notified you on anything don't sweat it... Unless they let you know, then we submit to governing authorities. I personally do not see anything wrong with it myself, but others may because of guidelines, rules, and regulataions.

We aren't apart of this world though exactly. We are part of another kingdom that spiritual and heavenly.

Your sins have been forgiven, no matter what that might entail.

You wanna know what is even worse for Christians, to sin on? Having no faith or love towards God, having no faith, and not loving your neighbor.

Hope this helps you sir, please enjoy the rest of your day.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟678,402.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If the first is sinful, did the person sin assuming he didn't know it was sinful or is it still sin, even when done without knowing?
Here, you pay something $3/Mo extra for a second Netflix account. If you didn't know you were supposed to do this, I guess that alright so long you're paying the extra-fee now.

Upvote 0

DirectionSeeker

Jun 12, 2020
Stockholm
✟51,816.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey brother @DirectionSeeker I wouldn't worry about that.

Remember this. Sin has been paid for, for you, your family, and your friends.

As long they haven't notified you on anything don't sweat it... Unless they let you know, then we submit to governing authorities. I personally do not see anything wrong with it myself, but others may because of guidelines, rules, and regulataions.

We aren't apart of this world though exactly. We are part of another kingdom that spiritual and heavenly.

Your sins have been forgiven, no matter what that might entail.

You wanna know what is even worse for Christians, to sin on? Having no faith or love towards God, having no faith, and not loving your neighbor.

Hope this helps you sir, please enjoy the rest of your day.

I personally don't feel convicted by the Holy spirit, which must mean that your answer is correct. I remember how the Holy spirit convicted me once for a habitual sin and it was so obvious and strong. I repented and changed behavior. I don't get any of that conviction anymore, which must mean I'm walking on a clean path for now (even though it's hard sometimes, with all the temptations in this world, but it always feels good knowing you did the right thing not succumbing to the temptations!).

Recently, I've been getting too scrupulous. Is eating candy a sin? Is sleeping past midnight a sin? Is it sin if I don't clean my room once a week? Is it sin if I don't brush my teeth one night? Is it sin if I don't take care of my skin with the proper moisturizers? Is it sin if I don't answer the surveys I get from various institutions? Is it sin if I don't answer the phone sometimes? And honestly, the two questions that I asked in this thread are also because of my recent scrupulosity.

Thank you for your answer brother!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟732,859.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

Is it sin if we break rules such as this:
Account sharing is not allowed for Netflix. Yet, I share my account with my cousin because they are in a poor financial situation but wants to watch some shows. I broke the company rule, did I sin?

Another one is this: account sharing is not allowed, but my mom struggles with language so I use her account to do what she wants to accomplish (e.g., publish an advertisement for her property or something).

1Pe 2:13-14 Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme; Or unto governors, as unto them that are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers, and for the praise of them that do well.

We need to keep company rules.

Upvote 0

DirectionSeeker

Jun 12, 2020
Stockholm
✟51,816.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
1Pe 2:13-14 Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme; Or unto governors, as unto them that are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers, and for the praise of them that do well.

Even when they would prevent acts of love? For example, you would say me choosing not to help my mum to publish an advertisement for something would be the godly thing to do?

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟732,859.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Even when they would prevent acts of love? For example, you would say me choosing not to help my mum to publish an advertisement for something would be the godly thing to do?

Helping your mum, to publish something on her account would be fine. But breaking Netflix rules around account usage would not be acceptable.

Upvote 0

DirectionSeeker

Jun 12, 2020
Stockholm
✟51,816.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Helping your mum, to publish something on her account would be fine. But breaking Netflix rules around account usage would not be acceptable.
What exactly is the difference between these two scenarios that allows one but not the other, assuming account sharing is not allowed?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟732,859.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What exactly is the difference between these two scenarios that allows one but not the other, assuming account sharing is not allowed?

Don't get hung up on try to work out the nity gritty, it comes down to what would be acceptable in the eyes of the company. No company would say you could not use the account holder's account to help them with their account usage. But Netflix would certainly not allow illegal account sharing.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

You think that verse applies to private companies that hold no authority over us and in fact often exploit their customers?

Upvote 0

DirectionSeeker

Jun 12, 2020
Stockholm
✟51,816.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You think that verse applies to private companies that hold no authority over us and in fact often exploit their customers?
The reason why I made this thread is that in many places in scripture, I can see how godly men and women broke the laws but weren't condemned for it - for example Rahab lying, David eating the bread for the priests, Jesus (God) working during sabbath (at least the pharisees thought He broke the laws) and so naturally I wonder if we Christians today likewise can break certain rules in order to achieve a greater good (e.g., offering my account to share with someone on Netflix because I know they want to see some shows but can't afford Netflix).

Upvote 0