Is it sinful if we break certain company rules?

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Port town on west (tan sands) shore line of MI
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I do the work for her in my own computer, in a different location. Would that be sin? I don't feel convicted by the Holy spirit, but just wanting to make sure.
Like I say, I do not know the laws governing that activity in your country so it would be amiss for me to say. It IS definitely a good thing you do to help her but if it is against any law of the land then it is a sin, especially since you could probably do such when you visit her on her computer. The reason it would be against the law, I think, is that many would say that they are just doing what you say you are doing BUT only using that as a cover for using their mother's internet all the time. The few corrupt people are what makes all of us law-abiding, hard-working people have so many rules and laws. The government cannot track every person, it would be too expensive, so they have to make laws which apply to everyone. When we choose NOT to be our brother's keeper and keep them inline, and them us, we force laws to be made by the government and God.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Whether something is a sin or not is not really a matter of whether it is illegal or if a company will decide to let it slide or try to punish you for doing it. If you even slightly wonder whether something might be a sin or not just assume that it is.

Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Port town on west (tan sands) shore line of MI
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The reason why I made this thread is that in many places in scripture, I can see how godly men and women broke the laws but weren't condemned for it - for example Rahab lying, David eating the bread for the priests, Jesus (God) working during sabbath (at least the pharisees thought He broke the laws) and so naturally I wonder if we Christians today likewise can break certain rules in order to achieve a greater good (e.g., offering my account to share with someone on Netflix because I know they want to see some shows but can't afford Netflix).
You could invite them over to watch. THE REASON MONTHLY SUBSCRIPTIONS, AND BILLING IS SO HIGH AND CONTINUALLY GOING UP IS BECAUSE THERE IS A COST TO PRODUCE LIVE-STREAMING AND CABLE OR SATELLITE SERVICE. EVERY USER WHETHER RECOGNIZED OR NOT BY THE PROVIDER DIMINISHES THE SIGNAL STRENGTH AND QUALITY. ALL THE PAYING CUSTOMERS HAVE TO PAY HIGHER RATES TO COVER IMPROVEMENTS AND UPDATES TO KEEP SIGNAL STRENGTH UP TO A LEVEL SUFFICIENT FOR ALL USERS DRAWING FROM IT. WHAT YOU ARE DOING IS PIRACY AND FORCING EVERYBODY ELSE TO PAY FOR YOUR FREE-LOADING FRIENDS USE.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟748,345.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I do not use Netflix so I am not familiar with their terms and conditions.

I suspect that Netflix, like other online media, have a fair usage policy, so that those using their service can enjoy the video and streaming services that they have paid for. Online bandwidth is not an unlimited resource and someone, somewhere, has to pay for it.

Most of the essential things we rely on in life do not come for free. When our bins are emptied, when our taps run with hot and cold running water, when our prescriptions are delivered to us by our local chemist, and when go online to post messages on the internet, there will always be people working in the background to help keep these services running: people who have to work to support themselves, their families, and to pay their bills.

Our bills are there for a reason. Companies and individuals need the money to continue supplying the goods and services we demand.

Reactions: mlepfitjw
Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The reason why I made this thread is that in many places in scripture, I can see how godly men and women broke the laws but weren't condemned for it - for example Rahab lying, David eating the bread for the priests, Jesus (God) working during sabbath (at least the pharisees thought He broke the laws) and so naturally I wonder if we Christians today likewise can break certain rules in order to achieve a greater good (e.g., offering my account to share with someone on Netflix because I know they want to see some shows but can't afford Netflix).
Simply put, a private company’s “rule” isn’t a law, and they aren’t in any way, shape, or form an authority. My personal position on these types of matters is who does it harm and/or benefit? Certain instances of sharing media hurts artists, others only limit the profit of huge companies who hold unethical monopolies.

Upvote 0

Dkh587

Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Situation 1, at the end of the day, you are violating rules that you agreed to. You are not loving your neighbor as yourself, technically. The law of God doesn’t say “you shall not share passwords” or any of the sort, but the message the Law of Moses and the Prophets teach is this: do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Netflix belongs to someone, and they have rules and policies that they expect customers to abide by.

would you want people to respect and obey rules that you established?

#2 If you are using the account to benefit her, my opinion is that it’s different if it’s for her, rather than for you. What is the service?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dkh587

Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I personally don't feel convicted by the Holy spirit, which must mean that your answer is correct. I remember how the Holy spirit convicted me once for a habitual sin and it was so obvious and strong. I repented and changed behavior. I don't get any of that conviction anymore, which must mean I'm walking on a clean path for now (even though it's hard sometimes, with all the temptations in this world, but it always feels good knowing you did the right thing not succumbing to the temptations!).

Recently, I've been getting too scrupulous. Is eating candy a sin? Is sleeping past midnight a sin? Is it sin if I don't clean my room once a week? Is it sin if I don't brush my teeth one night? Is it sin if I don't take care of my skin with the proper moisturizers? Is it sin if I don't answer the surveys I get from various institutions? Is it sin if I don't answer the phone sometimes? And honestly, the two questions that I asked in this thread are also because of my recent scrupulosity.

Thank you for your answer brother!
Sin is transgression of God’s law, also called the law of Moses. There are many things that are not mentioned in the law of God... the answer is NO, most of what you asked is not a sin, because the law of Moses does not instruct people on eating candy, answering phone surveys, and brushing teeth.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,041,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

Is it sin if we break rules such as this:
Account sharing is not allowed for Netflix. Yet, I share my account with my cousin because they are in a poor financial situation but wants to watch some shows. I broke the company rule, did I sin?

What if you were a boss and you had made a rule that your employees could do something, as a benefit/reward for them, but then you found out that they were making that benefit available to their families, against your instructions?

Your cousin's poor financial situation is not your boss's responsibility. You are allowing your cousin to watch the shows that they want to watch, and expecting your boss to pay for it.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,041,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Is allowing your cousin to do something that they can't afford "the greater good"?
If your netflix account is something your boss pays for, it's not actually yours, but a company perk (I would have thought.) If he says that the rule is that you are forbidden from sharing your account and you go ahead and do it, then how could you expect him to be happy about that? By your own admission, you have broken the rule.

Apart from Christian integrity and setting a good example (by not breaking the command 'thou shalt not steal'), I'd want to keep the rules so there was no chance of losing my job, personally.

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟877,129.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi,

Account sharing is not allowed for Netflix. Yet, I share my account with my cousin because they are in a poor financial situation but wants to watch some shows. I broke the company rule, did I sin?

I wouldn't share my Netflix (if I had one) account with anyone on regular basis. If your cousin needs Netflix, I think it would better and also right if you pay it for him/her. But it's your conscience.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟61,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Perhaps the biggest sin is having a netflix account in the first place? I do not see paying them to promote sinful programming a Christian value.

Also, some are trying to justify your sharing of netflix because it is a corporation and not a government authority seem to be off base. Illegal sharing of netflix is theft. It would be no different then shoplifting an apple out of the store. Theoretically, you could be prosecuted. Sharing Your Netflix Password Is Now a Federal Crime | wnep.com Netflix used to not care because the paid for content based on subscribers, so when subscribers shared, it did not cost them more. Now they do some of their own content and police things better.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟877,129.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Perhaps the biggest sin is having a netflix account in the first place? I do not see paying them to promote sinful programming a Christian value.

Aren't there also good things on Netflix, like documentaries?

Upvote 0

lsume

Supporter
Mar 14, 2017
Florida
✟417,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

Another one is this: account sharing is not allowed, but my mom struggles with language so I use her account to do what she wants to accomplish (e.g., publish an advertisement for her property or something).
I’ve had to consider your example in my life as well. For me, using unpaid services intended for someone else is wrong. You probably already know this. Please ask Christ to answer your quandary.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

Another one is this: account sharing is not allowed, but my mom struggles with language so I use her account to do what she wants to accomplish (e.g., publish an advertisement for her property or something).
Netflix doesn't audit that though, and increases the subscription cost (per region) based on usage anyway.

So in a way, it's sinful to those who have to pay increased costs because a large number of people are exploiting the system.

Last edited:
Upvote 0