• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Featured Is it sinful if we break certain company rules?

Discussion in 'Requests for Christian Advice' started by DirectionSeeker, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Monksailor

Monksailor Adopted child of God. Supporter

+897
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Like I say, I do not know the laws governing that activity in your country so it would be amiss for me to say. It IS definitely a good thing you do to help her but if it is against any law of the land then it is a sin, especially since you could probably do such when you visit her on her computer. The reason it would be against the law, I think, is that many would say that they are just doing what you say you are doing BUT only using that as a cover for using their mother's internet all the time. The few corrupt people are what makes all of us law-abiding, hard-working people have so many rules and laws. The government cannot track every person, it would be too expensive, so they have to make laws which apply to everyone. When we choose NOT to be our brother's keeper and keep them inline, and them us, we force laws to be made by the government and God.

2. grasping the after wind

grasping the after wind That's grasping after the wind

+5,358
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Others
    Whether something is a sin or not is not really a matter of whether it is illegal or if a company will decide to let it slide or try to punish you for doing it. If you even slightly wonder whether something might be a sin or not just assume that it is.

3. Monksailor

Monksailor Adopted child of God. Supporter

+897
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    You could invite them over to watch. THE REASON MONTHLY SUBSCRIPTIONS, AND BILLING IS SO HIGH AND CONTINUALLY GOING UP IS BECAUSE THERE IS A COST TO PRODUCE LIVE-STREAMING AND CABLE OR SATELLITE SERVICE. EVERY USER WHETHER RECOGNIZED OR NOT BY THE PROVIDER DIMINISHES THE SIGNAL STRENGTH AND QUALITY. ALL THE PAYING CUSTOMERS HAVE TO PAY HIGHER RATES TO COVER IMPROVEMENTS AND UPDATES TO KEEP SIGNAL STRENGTH UP TO A LEVEL SUFFICIENT FOR ALL USERS DRAWING FROM IT. WHAT YOU ARE DOING IS PIRACY AND FORCING EVERYBODY ELSE TO PAY FOR YOUR FREE-LOADING FRIENDS USE.

4. xaris

xaris Active Member

+247
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    You mean you didn't read the 30 page fine print contract when you signed up for Netflix?

5. Anthony2019

Anthony2019 Pax et bonum! CF Ambassadors Supporter

+8,574
    United Kingdom
    Anglican
    Single
    I do not use Netflix so I am not familiar with their terms and conditions.

I suspect that Netflix, like other online media, have a fair usage policy, so that those using their service can enjoy the video and streaming services that they have paid for. Online bandwidth is not an unlimited resource and someone, somewhere, has to pay for it.

Most of the essential things we rely on in life do not come for free. When our bins are emptied, when our taps run with hot and cold running water, when our prescriptions are delivered to us by our local chemist, and when go online to post messages on the internet, there will always be people working in the background to help keep these services running: people who have to work to support themselves, their families, and to pay their bills.

Our bills are there for a reason. Companies and individuals need the money to continue supplying the goods and services we demand.

6. friend of

friend of Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,564
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    So if someone has a netflix account and invites guests over to watch a movie that would be a sin because the guests didn't pay for the netflix account LOL

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. Sparagmos

Sparagmos Well-Known Member

+6,005
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Since it’s the advice forum I won’t argue...

8. Sparagmos

+6,005
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Simply put, a private company’s “rule” isn’t a law, and they aren’t in any way, shape, or form an authority. My personal position on these types of matters is who does it harm and/or benefit? Certain instances of sharing media hurts artists, others only limit the profit of huge companies who hold unethical monopolies.

9. Sparagmos

+6,005
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    By monopolizing a market and overcharging customers. They likely also contribute to the exploitation of workers in the industry.

10. Dkh587

Dkh587 Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,625
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Situation 1, at the end of the day, you are violating rules that you agreed to. You are not loving your neighbor as yourself, technically. The law of God doesn’t say “you shall not share passwords” or any of the sort, but the message the Law of Moses and the Prophets teach is this: do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Netflix belongs to someone, and they have rules and policies that they expect customers to abide by.

would you want people to respect and obey rules that you established?

#2 If you are using the account to benefit her, my opinion is that it’s different if it’s for her, rather than for you. What is the service?

11. Dkh587

Dkh587 Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,625
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Sin is transgression of God’s law, also called the law of Moses. There are many things that are not mentioned in the law of God... the answer is NO, most of what you asked is not a sin, because the law of Moses does not instruct people on eating candy, answering phone surveys, and brushing teeth.

12. Strong in Him

Strong in Him I can do all things through Christ Supporter

+5,848
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Married
    What if you were a boss and you had made a rule that your employees could do something, as a benefit/reward for them, but then you found out that they were making that benefit available to their families, against your instructions?

Your cousin's poor financial situation is not your boss's responsibility. You are allowing your cousin to watch the shows that they want to watch, and expecting your boss to pay for it.

13. Strong in Him

Strong in Him I can do all things through Christ Supporter

+5,848
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Married
    Is allowing your cousin to do something that they can't afford "the greater good"?
    If your netflix account is something your boss pays for, it's not actually yours, but a company perk (I would have thought.) If he says that the rule is that you are forbidden from sharing your account and you go ahead and do it, then how could you expect him to be happy about that? By your own admission, you have broken the rule.

Apart from Christian integrity and setting a good example (by not breaking the command 'thou shalt not steal'), I'd want to keep the rules so there was no chance of losing my job, personally.

14. zoidar

zoidar Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,484
    Sweden
    Christian
    Private
    I wouldn't share my Netflix (if I had one) account with anyone on regular basis. If your cousin needs Netflix, I think it would better and also right if you pay it for him/her. But it's your conscience.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  15. Richard T

Richard T Well-Known Member

+801
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Perhaps the biggest sin is having a netflix account in the first place? I do not see paying them to promote sinful programming a Christian value.

Also, some are trying to justify your sharing of netflix because it is a corporation and not a government authority seem to be off base. Illegal sharing of netflix is theft. It would be no different then shoplifting an apple out of the store. Theoretically, you could be prosecuted. Sharing Your Netflix Password Is Now a Federal Crime | wnep.com Netflix used to not care because the paid for content based on subscribers, so when subscribers shared, it did not cost them more. Now they do some of their own content and police things better.

16. zoidar

+1,484
    Sweden
    Christian
    Private
    Aren't there also good things on Netflix, like documentaries?

17. Richard T

Richard T Well-Known Member

+801
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Yes, true most of netflix is decent, so I was probably too judgmental on that point.

18. lsume

lsume Well-Known Member Supporter

+509
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I’ve had to consider your example in my life as well. For me, using unpaid services intended for someone else is wrong. You probably already know this. Please ask Christ to answer your quandary.

19. Michael Collum

Michael Collum Everything began with a voice, use yours Supporter

+5,130
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    Netflix doesn't audit that though, and increases the subscription cost (per region) based on usage anyway.

So in a way, it's sinful to those who have to pay increased costs because a large number of people are exploiting the system.

20. zoidar

+1,484
    Sweden
    Christian
    Private
    Yeah, but you were right about Netflix, that a lot of it is crap ^_^