• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Featured IS IT SIN TO BREAK THE 10 COMMANDMENTS? (Yep!)

Discussion in 'Controversial Christian Theology' started by LoveGodsWord, Aug 31, 2018.

1. LoveGodsWord

LoveGodsWord Well-Known Member

+1,238
    Australia
    SDA
    Married
    God has already decided through his WORD and revealed to us what is sin and what is not sin. You cannot decide if something is sin or not if God has already told you what sin is.

If you ignore God's WORD when you know it says not to do something then it is Sin. This would be UNBELIEF as you have rejected the Word of God and no unbelivers enter into the kingdom of heaven (Luke 12:46; James 4:17).

Hope this is helpful Steve.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  2. Der Alter

Der Alter This is me about 1 yr. old. Supporter

+2,717
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    The Sabbath was given exclusively to the children of Israel.
    Lev 24:8 Every Sabbath he shall set it in order before the LORD continually, being tak.en from the children of Israel by an everlasting covenant.
    Exo 31:16 Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant.
    Paul met with the Jewish leaders in Jerusalem and they decided this was what gentile Christians were required to do. Here would have been a good place to tell gentiles they had to observe the Sabbath and all the other feasts and festivals in the OT.
    Acts of the apostles 15:19-21
    (19) "It is my judgment, therefore, that we should not make it difficult for the Gentiles who are turning to God.
    (20) Instead we should write to them, telling them to abstain from food polluted by idols, from sexual immorality, from the meat of strangled animals and from blood.
    (21) For the law of Moses has been preached in every city from the earliest times and is read in the synagogues on every Sabbath."
    Acts of the apostles 15:28-29
    (28) It seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us not to burden you with anything beyond the following requirements:
    (29) You are to abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled animals and from sexual immorality. You will do well to avoid these things. Farewell.
    Acts of the apostles 21:24-25
    (24) Take these men, join in their purification rites and pay their expenses, so that they can have their heads shaved. Then everyone will know there is no truth in these reports about you, but that you yourself are living in obedience to the law.
    (25) As for the Gentile believers, we have written to them our decision that they should abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled animals and from sexual immorality."

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. Saint Steven

Saint Steven You can call me Steve Supporter

+3,691
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    That's good.
    I know that the Ten Commandments were not written to me. So we are all good here. Thanks.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  4. FatalHeart

FatalHeart Wisdom's Associate

+112
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    God will still judge everyone by the law and everyone will be punished and rewarded according to what they have done. See Romans 2. "You will reap what you sow."

5. Yarddog

Yarddog Senior Contributor Supporter

+2,867
    Catholic
    Married
    I will relate what happened to me back in 1980's, after my baptism into the Catholic Church.

I had gone through a trying time as God was calling me and Satan was trying to keep me. For about 6 months I experienced numerous events of demonic influences and only prayer kept me sane. After this ended, I heard God's voice calling me into the Catholic Church.

After my baptism I felt that I needed to show my worthiness of God's gift by being obedient to the 10 Commandments. Trouble was, I began feeling a great anxiety as I tried to follow the 10. That anxiety grew and grew over the month.

Finally, I prayed and asked for help and, again, I heard God speak and he said "I didn't ask you to be perfect, Jesus has done that for you". He then gave me a vision of the cross and I understood.

I then let go of the desire to make myself perfect and cast my sinful nature onto the cross. I embraced the bloody cross and carry it every where.

I am alive in God's rest, the Sabbath, righteousness. I don't focus on stopping sin by obeying the law. I focus on learning about our Lord Jesus and God's Holy Spirit. I allow God's Spirit to change me from within so that the desire to love grows and the desire to harm others.

I don't break any of God's commandments because I have no desire to steal, kill, cover, etc, ...

It is not what you do but how you do it. God wants us to trust in his Spirit and not in ourselves. The Tower of Babylon represents all those people who try to attain heaven through their own efforts. Judaism, Islam, plus many Christians do this.

Let go and let God create a new being, in his image. God's rest is eternal.

Amen.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. dqhall

dqhall Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,775
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    If God needs people to work Saturdays, what business is it of yours? The hospitals are open on Saturday. The gas stations are open on Saturday. You may rest or work any day you want. Whether it is better to have one day off or two, most prefer two. Some would rather work 90 hours a week for it is profitable for them to do so.

Why impose on us a law Jesus did not follow?

Galatians 4:9-10
    9 But now that you have come to know God, or rather to be known by God, why do you turn back again to the weak and miserable elemental principles, to which you desire to be in bondage all over again? 10 You observe days, months, seasons, and years.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. Soyeong

Soyeong Well-Known Member

+3,062
    Messianic
    Single
    He would not have antagonized them at the cost of disqualifying himself from being our Savior. If priests could perform their duties on the Sabbath and we are permitted to get a child or an ox out of a ditch on the Sabbath, then some forms of works are permitted and were never intended to be understood as being prohibited by the Sabbath. The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath, so the Sabbath was given for our own good and not for our deterinmen, and as such it was never intended to e used as an excuse to avoid loving our neighbor.

8. expos4ever

expos4ever Well-Known Member

+3,170
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    Where does Scripture say that God will judge Gentiles by the Law?

9. Saint Steven

Saint Steven You can call me Steve Supporter

+3,691
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I'm not claiming that he was sinning. I am claiming that he was putting the law aside.

Romans 10:4
    Christ is the culmination of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes.

10. DamianWarS

DamianWarS Follower of Isa Al Masih Supporter

+1,988
    Christian
    Private
    It is a sin to break Christ's law, the Torah however is not for us.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. Soyeong

+3,062
    Messianic
    Single
    All of God's righteous laws are eternal (Psalms 119:160) and eternal instructions for how to act in accordance with God's eternal righteousness can't be set aside without first setting aside God's eternal righteousness. If the law was set aside, then the fact that Jesus was sinless would have no significance.

In Romans 9:30-10:4, the Israelites had a zeal for God, but it was not based on knowledge because they did not understand that the righteousness of God only comes through faith in Christ. So they failed to obtain righteousness because they pursued the Law as through righteousness were by works in an effort to establish their own instead of by pursuing the Law as through righteousness were by faith, for Christ is the goal of the Law for righteousness for everyone who has faith. In Romans 10:5-10, Paul quoted Deuteronomy 30:11-14, in regard to this faith saying that God's Law is not too difficult for us, but that His Word is near us, in our heart and in our mouth so that we can obey it, and this is what it means to confess and to submit to Jesus as Lord. So there is absolutely nothing in this passage that suggests that Christ set aside his righteous standard, but just the opposite.

12. Soyeong

+3,062
    Messianic
    Single
    Unless you think that Christ was in disagreement with the Spirit or the Father about which laws we should follow, then you should think that the Law of Christ is the same as the Law of the Spirit, which is the same as the Law of the Father, which was given to Moses.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Soyeong

+3,062
    Messianic
    Single
    God is God, so the whole world under His Law and obligated to obey it, otherwise God would not have been just to judge the world with the Flood for their sins or to judge the world in Revelation. Likewise, in 2 Peter 2:6-8, Sodom and Gomorrah were judged because of their Lawless deeds, so they were under God's Law and were obligated to obey it even though they weren't in a covenant relationship with Him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. DamianWarS

DamianWarS Follower of Isa Al Masih Supporter

+1,988
    Christian
    Private
    Yet they are not the same. The old covenant is fulfilled (not abolished or thrown away), it is not for us and regardless how much overlap there is we follow the new.

15. expos4ever

expos4ever Well-Known Member

+3,170
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    Again, where does Scripture actually say it?

16. Soyeong

+3,062
    Messianic
    Single
    I thought the whole world being under God's Law and being judged with the Flood and 2 Peter 2:6-8 made it pretty clear. The existence of righteousness and sin means that there is a standard of what is and is not righteous or sinful, and that standard is God's Law, and if you believe that Gentiles are required to do what is righteous and to refrain from sin (1 John 3:10, Romans 6:15), then you should think that Gentiles are required to obey God's Law.

17. Soyeong

+3,062
    Messianic
    Single
    Indeed they are the same. Jesus said that he only came to do the Father's will (John 6:38), that he only said what the Father commanded him to say (John 12:49), and that his teachers were not his own, but that of the Father (John 14:24), so he taught the same commands that the Father taught to Moses.

"To fulfill the Law" means "to cause God's will (as made known in the Law) to be obeyed as it should be" (NAS Greek Lexicon pleroo 2c3). After Jesus said he came to fulfill the Law in Matthew 5, this is precisely what he then proceeded to do six times throughout the rest of the chapter by teaching how to correctly understand and obey it. In Galatians 5:14, loving your neighbor fulfills the entire law, so it refers to obeying the Law as it should be obeyed, and refers to something countless people have done, not to something unique to Christ. Likewise, Galatians 6:2 says that bearing one another's burdens fulfills the Law of Christ, so you should interpret it in the same way as fulfilling the Law and the Prophets, namely obeying it as it should be. In Romans 15:18-19, it says that Paul fulfilled the Gospel, which again referred to causing Gentiles to become fully obedient to it in word and in deed.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  18. Soyeong

+3,062
    Messianic
    Single
    Jesus was sinless, so he lived in complete obedience to the Law.

Paul is a servant of God, so you should not interpret him as being an enemy of God by teaching against obeying Him. In Galatians 4:8-10, Paul addressed those verses to those formerly did not know God, also known as former pagans. They were not formerly keeping God's holy days, so Paul could not have been criticizing them for returning to them. Furthermore, Paul would never have referred to the holy, righteous, and good laws of God as weak and worthless principles of the world, but rather that is again how he referred to paganism. So whatever he was referring to in verse 10 was in the context of paganism, not in regard to God's holy days.

19. gideon123

gideon123 Humble Servant of God

+562
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    It is certainly a sin to break the commandments.

But it is not true that if you only obey the Old Testament, then you will not be saved. Moses was saved. Elijah was saved. Abraham was saved. King David was saved. And they had major sins in their lives ... and furthermore they did not know Christ.

I am not being argumentative. Just offering a simple reminder.

Blessings!!

20. mukk_in

mukk_in Yankees Fan Supporter

+3,554
    India
    Christian
    Celibate
    Yes, it is. Thank God for Jesus (Roman's 7:24) :).

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List