Is it really necessary to go to Church?

C

Celtic D

I've already addressed this and shown it to be wrong.

Likewise - we will agree to disagree on this :)

I don't really care. Most mainstream churches are wrong. There is only one church that teaches the truth, and we need to discover and follow it.

"He can no longer have God for his Father who has not the Church for his mother"--St. Cyprian of Carthage, De Catholicae Ecclesiae Unitate

No one church has a full monopoly on faith. As for your quote that is the biggest load of garbage I have read. I worship God, NOT a church, and I do NOT need a church to worship God!

Upvote 0

GA777

May 17, 2011
✟15,698.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You dont need to worship church, but going to church is important, it's one of the 10 commandments : Remember the lord's day to keep it holy
I had the same thought as you, but it aint the right one, I go to church every Sunday now, you just need to attend the sunday mass and the masses on the important christianity days like christmas-easter-great friday-the day before the great friday (not too sure about its english name)

h t t p ://w w w .m i c h a e l j o u r n a l .o r g / h o l y m a s s . h t m
And read here, these are true facts about what occurs in the church, and there are MANY more important things that happen there which arent written there.

Upvote 0
E

Eric Hilbert

Is there scripture that specifically talks about the need to go to church?

My point is that why should we go to church to listen to someone reading the bible to us, when we can stay at home, just you and god alone and read it there in a more intimate environment.

Why do we need to have a pastor tell us what the bible says, he is not God, they are just sinners like the rest of us.

I can see the point in going to join others and hopefully grow your faith etc, but again, why should we rely on other people for us to grow in faith? Shouldn't God alone be enough?

Also baptism, do you believe you have to be physically baptized to go to heaven?

If so, what about people who commit to Christ minutes or even seconds before they die on their deathbed and don't have time to be baptized?

Thanks Graham. God bless.

Every now and then, one of our sheep will wander out of the pen. I'll wake up in the morning or look out my window and there they'll be, bleating and walking around and around the pen, trying to find his way back into the pen because he knows he's part of a flock and wants to be with the other sheep.

Our goats, on the other hand, are another story. When one of them gets out of the pen (there's a fallen tree they like to play on and I think they use that to jump over the fence), I have to go and track them down. They fight me every step of the way, too. They don't want to go back in the pen because goats tend to be solitary animals and don't really care about their herd.

People can be a lot like sheep and goats. Are you familiar with the distinction the Bible makes between sheep and goats?

Reactions: LilLamb219
Upvote 0

prophecynews

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
✟7,637.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Is there scripture that specifically talks about the need to go to church?

My point is that why should we go to church to listen to someone reading the bible to us, when we can stay at home, just you and god alone and read it there in a more intimate environment.

Why do we need to have a pastor tell us what the bible says, he is not God, they are just sinners like the rest of us.

I can see the point in going to join others and hopefully grow your faith etc, but again, why should we rely on other people for us to grow in faith? Shouldn't God alone be enough?

Also baptism, do you believe you have to be physically baptized to go to heaven?

If so, what about people who commit to Christ minutes or even seconds before they die on their deathbed and don't have time to be baptized?

Thanks Graham. God bless.

hi ,
here i wanna shear one story
Why Go To Church?

A Church goer wrote a letter to the editor of a newspaper and complained that it made no sense to go to church every Sunday. ‘I’ve gone for 30 years now,’ he wrote, ‘and in that time I have heard something like 3,000 sermons. But for the life of me, I can’t remember a single one of them. So, I think I’m wasting my time and the priests are wasting theirs by giving sermons at all.’
This started a real controversy in the ‘Letters to the Editor’ column. Much to the delight of the editor, it went on for weeks until someone wrote this clincher: ‘I’ve been married for 30 years now. In that time my wife has cooked some 32,000 meals. But, for the life of me, I cannot recall the entire menu for a single one of those meals.
But I do know this… They all nourished me and gave me the strength I needed to do my work. If my wife had not given me these meals, I would be physically dead today. Likewise, if I had not gone to church for nourishment, I would be spiritually dead today!’

GOD BLESS YOU

Reactions: LilLamb219
Upvote 0
Jul 7, 2011
Columbia, NC.
✟15,190.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've lived in this country for about 35 years since May 1975.
I must have spoken 3.5 gazillions of English words.

Still my son tells me,"Dad, your English never gets better."
What he did not know was that I did't say, "Harro","Jet rag","Birginia","Sank you" any longer.

Most Japanese, after come to the US., learn more English quickly in 3 years and it seems slow down, for the ability they can communicate with what they've learned.

I's necessary for foreigners (non-English speakers) to learn English grammar, pronunciation of long vowel, etc. to get beyond the 3 years line, especially for Japanese.

Everyday conversations don't make us better English speakers, because we repeat the same mistakes without realizing 'em.

Matthew4:4
Daily bread is a gift from God to us, of course we should not live by bread alone.
If we live without thinking the meaning of the words of God, we do not realize that why we are living here - the purpose God created you and I.

Upvote 0

Stephen Kendall

believer of Jesus Christ
Sep 28, 2008
USA
✟9,673.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When I miss church, I don't feel guilty, but desire to go so as to be with others and speak about Christ. If I didn't thoroughly enjoy fellowship with others, why would I go? As a Christian, I am free to go or not. I am bonded by Christ and this is my freedom. I am a willing slave of love and of true freedom for my Lord.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ekcol

Jul 29, 2011
Westlock, Alberta
✟15,191.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I know I've missed the feeling of community and support that I felt when attending church diligently. In my own experience I thought much the same, that I'd study my bible on my own but I would put it off and only read sporaticly. I hope you decide to join a congregation and gain a feeling of unity.

Upvote 0
Jul 7, 2011
Columbia, NC.
✟15,190.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"You don't get into Heaven by what you do, but by God's will."

Basically that's what I was told by my Christian friends in my town.
No one said to me you must attend to a church or get baptized in order to get into Heaven.

And basically that's what the most important attitude of Christian and we should not persuade others, not only Muslims or Buddhists but include Christians, to obey their belief but for themselves.

And, I believe that I live in heaven now on this earth by believing in the Bible by God permit not the words of the Bible.

I know very little of the Book, so scholars of the Bible can say all they know to me, but it is useless for me if they don't talk about where the heart of God is at, and that is spiritual.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bulldog129

Jul 26, 2011
✟8,066.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Going to church and being baptized provides nourishment for a Christian. We need nourishment to survive. Without being spiritually fed, our faith will wither and die. While having a private devotional is a great thing, we need the fellowship of other Christians to strengthen and build up our faith.

Upvote 0
Jul 7, 2011
Columbia, NC.
✟15,190.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Going to church and being baptized provides nourishment for a Christian. We need nourishment to survive. Without being spiritually fed, our faith will wither and die. While having a private devotional is a great thing, we need the fellowship of other Christians to strengthen and build up our faith.
>Without being spiritually fed, our faith will wither and die.

John 20:29
tells us how we are blessed, spiritually live.
Otherwise, we are already dead in sin.

Your spirit grows from the Bible, and you learn that in your church.
Will it be necessary to keep doing that again and again and again and again, If being baptized provides nourishment for a Christian?

Upvote 0

Aibrean

Honest. Maybe too Honest.
Mar 18, 2007
Xenia, Ohio
Visit site
✟23,379.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
God works through baptism. He doesn't cease to work after you've been baptized but not allowing yourself baptism is also not allowing nourishment.

"Again and again" is communion.

Ephesians 4

And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds and teachers, to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, 13until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ, 14so that we may no longer be children, tossed to and fro by the waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by human cunning, by craftiness in deceitful schemes. 15Rather, speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ, 16 from whom the whole body, joined and held together by every joint with which it is equipped, when each part is working properly, makes the body grow so that it builds itself up in love.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums