Is it really necessary to go to Church?

GrahamR

Jun 21, 2009
✟7,657.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is there scripture that specifically talks about the need to go to church?

My point is that why should we go to church to listen to someone reading the bible to us, when we can stay at home, just you and god alone and read it there in a more intimate environment.

Why do we need to have a pastor tell us what the bible says, he is not God, they are just sinners like the rest of us.

I can see the point in going to join others and hopefully grow your faith etc, but again, why should we rely on other people for us to grow in faith? Shouldn't God alone be enough?

Also baptism, do you believe you have to be physically baptized to go to heaven?

If so, what about people who commit to Christ minutes or even seconds before they die on their deathbed and don't have time to be baptized?

Thanks Graham. God bless.

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟171,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yes, you really do need to go to church.

Hebrews 10:24-15
24And(A) let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, 25(B) not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and(C) all the more as you see(D) the Day drawing near.

Also, you need to be baptized into Christ. Let God worry about believers who die before they can be baptized- He'll take care of them. The rest of us don't have an excuse. Baptism cleans us from sin and brings us into the body of Christ. As a member of the body of Christ- you have a responsibility to live a life in Christ and put your faith in action. One goes to church for the sacraments. You need the medicine for what ails us, the fountain of immortality, the body and blood of Christ- the Holy Eucharist. You need Christ in you.

Faith is an action word- not an intellectual assent to believe in something.

Come and see!
YouTube - The Orthodox Church - A visual journey

Upvote 0

salida

Veteran
Jun 14, 2006
✟6,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Being around other christians will help your spiritual growth in a way you can't get any where else.

Pr 27:17 Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend.

Heb 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

Upvote 0

SanctuaryoftheGnosis

Agape vel Liber vel Azoth
May 17, 2011
✟7,732.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

My point is that why should we go to church to listen to someone reading the bible to us, when we can stay at home, just you and god alone and read it there in a more intimate environment.

Why do we need to have a pastor tell us what the bible says, he is not God, they are just sinners like the rest of us.

I can see the point in going to join others and hopefully grow your faith etc, but again, why should we rely on other people for us to grow in faith? Shouldn't God alone be enough?

Also baptism, do you believe you have to be physically baptized to go to heaven?

If so, what about people who commit to Christ minutes or even seconds before they die on their deathbed and don't have time to be baptized?

The church was a place of glorification for God, it was part of the Christian culture because back in the day people were illiterate, and therefore could not learn of the gospels unless someone who could read preached it to them.

I do not think it is necessary, because now we have literacy, however if you do choose to walk the path alone it may be admirable to build a small sanctuary within your home for private worship.

Remember also the words of Christ: Matthew 18:20 "For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them."

Upvote 0

LWB

Jan 28, 2011
Brisbane
✟16,026.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi GrahamR,

I've been thinking about this lately because of a similar topic, and I've come to a definite conclusion.

I'm a fairly independent person, and like you perhaps, I have never felt the need for teaching through church. I have always studied the Bible for myself, along with commentaries and such to get a clear understanding and context of Scripture. Most of all I love going for long walks and digesting and meditating upon what I have learnt. To me it feels like the indwelling presence of God himself is teaching me.

But lately an illness in my family brought home to me how much we really rely upon each other. Had not my family rallied around the ill person, I can't imagine what it would have been like. It reminded me that there are people with no immediate family. Widows and orphans who might sink without a trace.

As a Christian I am commanded to love and care for other people. Therefore, I feel as if I should be involved in a Christian community, even though I don't feel a need for the teaching, and don't particularly like singing worship songs. I think maybe I could sit on the back pew and hum along, but really be involved in getting to know fellow Christians and what material and spiritual needs they might require.

So although I believe the Holy Spirit and the Bible is sufficient for the individual believer, so that should he be cast away on an island he would by no means go backward, yet he should be interested in becoming involved with other Christians in order to be available for service.

When I put my thinking on this matter into practice, I don't know yet.

I also don't think baptism is essential, for otherwise the thief on the cross couldn't have joined Jesus in paradise. I see Baptism as an external symbol and an external acknowledgement of an internal state. It is a perhaps a good thing to do, but salvation doesn't depend upon it.

Upvote 0

Byrd4God

May 14, 2011
✟7,681.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't think salvation is contingent on going to church. I do think that a Christian can greatly benefit from it. And plus, I'm sure God loves it when his kids get together to worship Him... As for baptism- the only thing that is required for salvation is faith.. Should you be baptized? Sure. If you die before you get the chance to, it will not keep you from heaven.

Upvote 0

Bella Vita

Sailor in the U.S.N
May 18, 2011
✟10,239.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We are the body and are to love the church as Jesus did. After all Jesus created it he wants us to go to church as well as start churches pass on our beliefs ect.. the church is a huge part of the Bible. It is a place for growth, prayer, fellowship with other Christians. A strong support system that you will need to continue your walk with Christ. There is only positives to going to church so it is a win win. The Bible tells us we are to build each other up in Christ basically Christians helping other Christians with discipleship, accountability, prayer, being in the word ect.

Find a church you like and get planted there it will help you meet other Christians and strengthen your relationship with the lord =]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fm107

Psalm 19:1-4 and Romans 1:20
May 12, 2009
London, UK
✟60,700.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

Hi brother,

Here are some of the scriptures you asked for.

1 Corinthians 14:26
When you come together, everyone has a hymn, or a word of instruction, a revelation, a tongue or an interpretation. All of these must be done for the strengthening of the church.

Hebrews 10:25
Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another--and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

Acts 2:42
They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.

Acts 1:14
They all joined together constantly in prayer, along with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brothers.

Acts 2:46
Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts,

We meet together with other Christians for many reasons. Here is just one reason:

Hebrews 3:13
But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness.

Most churches today in my opinion do not reflect what scripture tells us how a church should operate etc. Many have erroneous teachings etc. We live in the last days and the Church is in ruin.

2 Peter 2:1
But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them--bringing swift destruction on themselves.

If you don't attend church, the there is less opposition to any false teachers and destructive heresies which may be introduced.

Your also an encouragement to other Christians who attend.

Regarding pastors, in the church I attend, we don't have a pastor, all the brothers participate together, no one is higher than another.

Baptism doesn't get you to Heaven. Only belief in Jesus Christ.

John 3:16
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

John 3:18
Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son.

Acts 16:29-30
The jailer called for lights, rushed in and fell trembling before Paul and Silas. He then brought them out and asked, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?”
They replied, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved—you and your household.”

God does want Christians to get baptised though as it's an outward expression to the world of your allegiance with Christ.

It's also an outward expression of what is happening inward. The removal of your old self and putting on of the new. That is:

Ephesians 4:22-24
You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.

It isn't what saves you, but it is rather something that should be carried out once you have been saved.

May God bless.

Upvote 0

_GodIsGreat_

May 16, 2011
✟7,709.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Church is a good thing, but I don't think it's absolutely necessary to go to church, especially every week.
I go to church every week. I feel like it shows my commitment to God. But it should not be a pressure for me, nor an obligation. I should not think of church days like Bible study and Sunday service as the only 'holy' days of the week. Every day and every minute, I can put God's word into practice. Just by simply holding the door for someone or listening to someone when they're unhappy, I am able to do God's work.
I think a lot of people get stuck in a rut and overemphasize church. In actuality, we need to GET OUT of church and do God's work. Put it into action.

Upvote 0

fm107

Psalm 19:1-4 and Romans 1:20
May 12, 2009
London, UK
✟60,700.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
In actuality, we need to GET OUT of church and do God's work. Put it into action.

Yes, that is the most important thing, putting it into action. Showing up at church doesn't count for much if your not putting it into action.

James 1:22-25
Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it—he will be blessed in what he does.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We have been raised in the church, brought our children up in the church - husband Catholic, me Protestant - we have been to many churches trying to find a middle ground - this was ok until I became a Spirit Filled believer and the churches just did not fulfill my hunger - they were so dry I would come home and cry -

My husband and I started listen to two very Spirit Filled services on Sunday morning and then having our Bible study - well it has been a blessing - we spend two and 1/2 hours every Sunday morning, learning, reading and listening to my husband read the Bible - we have learned so much just having the Holy Spirit teach us. Our walk with Jesus is closer than it has ever been.

Upvote 0
Jun 14, 2009
✟14,916.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

Ofcourse it is necessary to go to Church. How are you going to serve other christians, and how are they going to serve you, if you do not go.

If you do not go to Church, how are you going to show your love to other christians an how are they going to show their love to you!

It is like asking the question; "Do I need hands, or do I need legs. Why do I needs hands? I have legs, it not that enough?"

You see, you have something unique, which God has give only to you, and you need to go to Church, to give it to others, and they to give to you.

God will give you to know something, which other do not know, and he will give others and teach them, something, which you do not know, so you need to get together in Church, in order to share with each other, and so grow in that way. That is how it helps us grow in Christ, when we get together.

A person who does not go to Church, can be like an artificial organ in the body.

The body of Christ needs you, in order to serve God and, as the human body needs all its organs, in order to serve properly.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Graham,

It is a good thing to read and study the Bible at home. But Jesus saves us into His Body. We are meant to become joined with our fellow believers, to become part of their lives. It is in that union that the fullness of Christ's presence becomes manifest. We should incorporate times of solitude into our walk, just as Jesus himself modelled, but to do it alone all the time is to preempt a major work of grace that God intends to do in our lives.

But note, fellowshipping in the name of Jesus does not have to look like what we typically envision as church in the West. Jesus himself reduced it to "two or three" gathering in His name. I believe He purposely reduced the definition of church to its most basic element - two people - in order to get ecclesiology out of the way, so that no one would need go churchless, and to equip the church to be as flexible and adaptive as possible in order to overcome an adversarial world.

As He so often does, Jesus lays out the right course before us, without ever resorting to legalism to get His work of grace done in us.

Upvote 0

sk8Joyful

Aug 23, 2005
✟28,800.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Is there scripture
that specifically talks about the need to go to church?

My point is that why should we go to church to listen to someone reading the bible to us,
when we can stay at home, just you and god alone and read it there in a more intimate environment.

Why do we need to have a pastor tell us what the bible says,
he is not God, they are just sinners like the rest of us.

What about people who commit to Christ minutes or even seconds before they die
on their deathbed and don't have time to be baptized?
You missed 3 critical things:

Physical baptism is not necessary for Salvation, according to God.

Once you have Accepted God/Christ as your personal Savior, welcoming Him to rule your heart,
He considers you a 'sinner' no more; but in fact God calls you HIS :angel: Friend...

When you live your day-to-day...life as "God's friend" :thumbsup: you ;) ARE the church :clap: ... :amen:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sk8Joyful

Aug 23, 2005
✟28,800.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Of course it is necessary to go to Church.

How are you going to serve other christians,
and how are they going to serve you, if you do not go.
What 'service' could a christian possibly offer, who beliefs & practices:
'I am a sinner-for-life' <- such was never God's teachings.

'I can't change my negative & destructive emotions' <- such was never God's teachings.

'I can't self-heal' <- such was never God's teachings,
either.
All such & more are adversarial ^_^ to God's Saving purposes; but are taught in practically every "church".

What church continues examplifying GOD's truths, such as:
1. John 15:9-17
&
2. Philippians 4:8
"Brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble,
whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable&#8212; anything Excellent or Praiseworthy&#8212;think... about (& might I add practice...) such things."
&
3. 2 Corintheans 5:17
"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation: the old has gone, the new has come!" :clap:

What church? continues examplifying GOD's truths...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You missed 3 critical things:

Physical baptism is not necessary for Salvation, according to God.

Once you have Accepted God/Christ as your personal Savior, welcoming Him to rule your heart,
He considers you a 'sinner' no more; but in fact God calls you HIS :angel: Friend...

When you live your day-to-day...life as "God's friend" :thumbsup: you ;) ARE the church :clap: ... :amen:

Sums it all up in a nutshell. We don't have a home church, but we do practice the 'where any two gather' all the time - we volunteer, help where it is needed, witness and do all the things that make us the 'church.'

The 'Friend' you referred to is so very important to me - I was in a large gathering and the minister was from Africa and he was walking through the crowd and he came to this man on the other side of the church and said 'God said to tell you that you are His friend' - that touched my heart and I stood there silently wishing I could hear that from God - the minister came to our section and I was several seats in and he reached over and said 'God says to tell you that you are His friend' - that has always been so very special to me.

Upvote 0

If Not For Grace

Legend-but then so's Keith Richards
Feb 4, 2005
Curtis Loew's House w/Kid Rock & Hank III
Visit site
✟46,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Graham: I suppose the same arguments can be made with regard to Public Education, why not just learn to read at home? We all need to learn from those who have studied more than we have. One does not have to go, one gets to go. It is a
privilidge that may at first seem like a chore, and I do beleive one needs to be selective.

Most people like to socialize for lack of a better word with those whom they share a common interest. Churches provide this on a personal level as well. And as for Baptism, it's not essential, but Christ did it & I can find no reason not to participate in any ritutal (including passover, etc) that Christ thought significant enough to spend His time doing. For me Baptism was kinda like graduation at school. You get the certificate, but It was an uplifiting hornable celebratory experience to walk across the stage & celebrate my accomplishment publicly. Make sense?

Upvote 0

revanneosl

Mystically signifying since 1985
Feb 25, 2007
Northern Illniois
✟39,310.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I've always said that if you want to just shoot freethrows in your driveway that's fine. But if you want to actually play basketball you need 9 other guys to play with. In much the same way, you can love Jesus and study the Bible all you want alone in your living room, but if you want to actually be a christian you need to join a community called church to properly get on with it.

Upvote 0

Shannon4237

Jan 19, 2010
West Virginia
✟7,663.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think that phyiscally being in church is important. You fellowship with other christians, learn and lean on one another. It helps to surround yourself with good people, it also helps keep you on the straight and narrow. However private time with god is good too. Just tune in and listen, hell tell you where to go.

Upvote 0