Is it really bad to mostly listen to secular music as a Christian ?

QuestionQuest74

Oct 12, 2023
Fort Lauderdale
✟23,287.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I know some people who listen to mostly Christian music and are the most hostile foul-mouthed people around and I know some Christian who only listen to secular music and demonstrate Christ-like behaviour more than most people who call themselves Christians. With that said does it really matter what type of music a Christian listens to ( IF ITS NOT AFFECTING THERE WALK )

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟122,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
I know some people who listen to mostly Christian music and are the most hostile foul-mouthed people around and I know some Christian who only listen to secular music and demonstrate Christ-like behaviour more than most people who call themselves Christians. With that said does it really matter what type of music a Christian listens to ( IF ITS NOT AFFECTING THERE WALK )

We don’t model ourselves after what others do.

Phl 2:5 Let this mind (phroneō) be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

Col 3:2 Set your affection (phroneō) on things above, not on things on the earth.

Both of these verse employ the word phroneō … which is your “thoughts”, “thinking”, “your mind”

Your mind is just like your body …what you physically eat will be manifested in the physical health and wellbeing of your body …and such is the mind.

Your thoughts (what you put in your mind) become your actions, your actions will construct habits, and your habits will build your character … and eventually it will determine your destiny.

Just as a side note: In the satanic realm, natural music was considered heavy artillery for the adversary …because it opens up both hemispheres of the mind.

Some natural music is better than others …and I indulge myself on occasion ….But that is my walk …not yours, or anyone else’s … My balance is probably a hundred to one between Christian and natural... but every once and a while I like to bury the VU’s with a song from my past.

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟48,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some secular music praises sin. Some secular music that portrays sin in a depressing manner is still singing about sin. I grew up in an era when a certain type of secular music was condemned while another type of secular music celebrated things just as bad.

Just because music is labeled as Christian doesn't automatically mean that it praises Christ. Some gives me an uncomfortable feeling as it seems the focus is on self and not God. I'll be the first to admit this only dawned on me late in life. Again, I'm not talking about style, and just because we don't care for a style of music doesn't automatically mean that style is bad. We are told to make a joyful noise to the Lord and some styles of music strike me as heavy in the noise category, but that doesn't mean that style is of itself bad.

Ultimately, the question is whether it harms our walk with the Lord and that can vary from person to person. If, however, a song praises lust or revenge or any sin and we find it going through our minds, is that really helpful to us as Christians?

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When it comes to secular music, books, movies and tv shows, discretion is recommended. Now some Christians say all non-Christian/gospel music is "satan music". But I don't think that's the case. Because then we'll have to conclude that "Mary had a little lamb" is satanic.

There's a cynical part of me that thinks the Christian music industry has put a lot of effort into discouraging Christians from listening to any other kind of music. I remember back around 1985 our pastor passed on that he'd heard that the band Van Halen was going to perform a satanic animal sacrifice of a dog at an upcoming concert. He of course had no idea what kind of band Van Halen was. My guess is they got a lot of negativity over their album cover depicting a baby with angel wings smoking a cigarette. But of course the story was an outright lie started by someone. Perhaps a Christian music industry competitor.

Personally I listen to 70s and 80's popular secular music on the radio during my commutes to and from work.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello @QuestionQuest74, I believe that such things are adiaphora (so what you choose to do in a case like this is therefore between you, your conscience and the guidance of the Holy Spirit, generally speaking, that is).

That said, there are verses like the following for us to consider (that help us in regard to our daily walks),

Philippians 4
8 Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything is worthy of praise, dwell on these things.

Does what you listen to fit well with the kind of things that v8's admonishments describe above? If not, you should decide what kind of things you'd prefer to have in the forefront of your mind throughout the day, because even if the worldly music that you listen to isn't focused on sin, the question is, does it help you or hinder you from practicing the day-by-day, moment-by-moment presence of God in your life .. e.g. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18?

Perhaps you could find a balance between the two, between secular and Christian music, that is? (a balance that would, hopefully and typically, leave you dwelling on the things of the Spirit, rather than on the things of this world)

God bless you!!

--David

Upvote 0