Is it ok to lie sometimes.

QuestForTruth

Aug 3, 2004
✟8,029.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes we are faced with situtations where there is no way out that does not infringe on some moral law. Sometimes a lie is in fact the right thing to say and sometimes remaining silent is far worse than telling a lie. Everything is dependant on the current situtation. If you go out of your way to tell the truth noing someone will be hurt by it is that the right thing to do? Of course not the only thing that comes from it is hurt to another. If by telling a lie you can spare someone and not do harm to anyone else then it has to be better than telling a truth that would cause harm.

Upvote 0

Evee

May 1, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟11,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
QuestForTruth said:
Sometimes we are faced with situtations where there is no way out that does not infringe on some moral law. Sometimes a lie is in fact the right thing to say and sometimes remaining silent is far worse than telling a lie. Everything is dependant on the current situtation. If you go out of your way to tell the truth noing someone will be hurt by it is that the right thing to do? Of course not the only thing that comes from it is hurt to another. If by telling a lie you can spare someone and not do harm to anyone else then it has to be better than telling a truth that would cause harm.

Yes I agree sometimes some people value their harshness and lack of concern and then say you wanted the truth didn't you?
Sometimes it is better to dance around the truth, for instance my mother is 78 and has congestive heart failure and her heart is enlarged.
She can handle hearing about her heart being enlarged but she would freak out if she knew she had congestive heart failure, because her second husband died from this condition. We the family and her doctor decided it best to keep quiet on this.
Am I lying?
I don't feel I am I just feel it is best this way.
God will surely take this under consideration.

Upvote 0

Captain_Scott

Jul 3, 2004
Avon, SD
Visit site
✟7,900.00
Faith
Calvinist
bluetrinity said:
I disagree. There are stories in the OT where people lie to protect the innocent and the weak. To always tell the truth would be complying with the letter of the law but not the spirit. Just as Jesus collected food and healed on the Sabbath, it is ok to lie when necessary.
yes, abraham lied..that was before the law of moses was handed down...you cant do something wrong untill there is a law agenst it. Just like there was imbreeding untill the law of moses said it was wrong. What other stories are you refereing to?

read about what Jesus did on the sabath..he healed HE said is it lawful to do good or evil on the sabath? meaning is it wrong to do good?

The same way with lying. Exodus 20 forbids lying. IT doesnt say lie only in these circumstances, it says "you shall not lie" (other translation say bear false whitness) That sounds concrete to me. Jesus mentioned alot of commandments (adultry, murder...) but he never said anything about lying. why? because it was concrete...it was an obviouse thing. "you shall not lie" pretty clear.

Christians, start reading yoru bible instead of doing what you think is right. :|

Upvote 0

bluetrinity

Lost sheep
Aug 7, 2002
Visit site
✟2,733.00
Faith
Catholic
Captain_Scott said:
yes, abraham lied..that was before the law of moses was handed down...you cant do something wrong untill there is a law agenst it. Just like there was imbreeding untill the law of moses said it was wrong. What other stories are you refereing to?

read about what Jesus did on the sabath..he healed HE said is it lawful to do good or evil on the sabath? meaning is it wrong to do good?

The same way with lying. Exodus 20 forbids lying. IT doesnt say lie only in these circumstances, it says "you shall not lie" (other translation say bear false whitness) That sounds concrete to me. Jesus mentioned alot of commandments (adultry, murder...) but he never said anything about lying. why? because it was concrete...it was an obviouse thing. "you shall not lie" pretty clear.

Christians, start reading yoru bible instead of doing what you think is right. :|
Yes sir! Seriously, if you study the OT you will find plenty of stories of where one lied to protect someone else from harm. I find this to be a no-brainer. Like JC said the law is there for the people not the people for the law.

Upvote 0
Is it ok to lie sometimes.

everbody can think of a situation where it seems better to lie.

If you were hiding jews in your attick during the holocaust you wouldn't just say.

I'M HIDING JEWS UPSTAIRS DO YOU WANT TO SEE.

In such cases like this , the moral obligation to protect innocent life ( the jews ) from mind controled drones ( the Nazi's ) Far outweighs the moral obligation to tell the truth . So although you may be lieing , in the long run your heart made the right decision .

Upvote 0

Katydid

Just a Mom
Jun 23, 2004
Alabama
✟11,023.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sorry, but "Thou shalt not lie" IS NOT one of the ten commandments. "Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor" is. Bearing FALSE WITNESS is not the same as telling a lie. Bearing false witness is going and telling someone that Joe Blow keyed your car, when you know he didn't. This is not the same thing as telling someone their new hair looks great when it doesn't.

Upvote 0

Mekkala

Ungod Almighty
Dec 23, 2003
✟16,043.00
Faith
Atheist
StormeTorque said:
Of course it would be ok to lie in certain circumstances. If, by telling a lie, you would protect the lives of others, then I would do so without hesitation, even if I believed lying was a sin. And if God had a problem with that, well, I frankly wouldn't want to worship a deity who would have preferred me to give somebody away to certain death. I would face judgement knowing I did the right thing in my opinion.

However, that is not to say that I don't believe that lying for your own personal gain is correct.

Even lying for your own personal gain is, in my opinion, sometimes ethically permissible. For example, if you were one of those Jews, and the police asked you if you were Jewish, would it be acceptable to lie about it? Of course it would.

Upvote 0

MooneyMan

Aug 16, 2004
✟128.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I think it's immoral to tell the truth in this case. Telling the truth is an essential guarantee that innocents will die (maybe including the one who tells the truth). As I recall, killing is against a commandment, too.
scripture guy said:
everbody can think of a situation where it seems better to lie.

If you were hiding jews in your attick during the holocaust you wouldn't just say.

I'M HIDING JEWS UPSTAIRS DO YOU WANT TO SEE.

Upvote 0