Is it considered a sin for a Christian not to wear a mask or socially distance?

Animelover93

Jun 15, 2020
Columbus Ohio
✟21,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I recently started a new church and noticed that no one there wears masks, or practices sociall distancing. I've been told by many Christians that God will not protect someone from Covid if they refuse to follow the CDC guidelines. I was told that you can have all the faith in the world that God will protect you from this deadly disease. But if you don't use wisdom, you are not being a true Christian. Because taking active steps to help prevent the spread of Covid is helping and caring for your neighbor. Therefore if you do not do these things, you are sinning. Is this true? I'm really really worried because I don't like wearing masks. It's hard to breathe in them, it irritates my skin, and I want to be able to smile. I feel like I can't communicate properly with a mask on. We hardly see anyone smile anymore because they're always wearing a mask. I know that's not the point, but it's really sad. I want to breathe. I want to go to church without a mask, but I'm afraid I'm going against the bible by not caring about my neighbor. I would only be not wearing a mask to church. Anywhere else, I will be. I just want to freely serve God and have faith that he will protect me, and actually breathe. But I'm so worried. People tell me to not go to a church like that, but I really feel the presence of God in that building. The members are so loving and they accept you for who you are. They don't judge you, they pray for you. They practice what the bible teaches. I want to be just like that. But I'm afraid I will be doing wrong by not using wisdom like the bible says. I'm afraid if I don't wear a mask to church, I'm literally not helping my neighbor like the bible says to do. Is it sinful to choose to rely on God for complete protection from Covid, without wearing a mask? Thanks

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I recently started a new church and noticed that no one there wears masks, or practices sociall distancing. I've been told by many Christians that God will not protect someone from Covid if they refuse to follow the CDC guidelines. I was told that you can have all the faith in the world that God will protect you from this deadly disease. But if you don't use wisdom, you are not being a true Christian. Because taking active steps to help prevent the spread of Covid is helping and caring for your neighbor. Therefore if you do not do these things, you are sinning. Is this true? I'm really really worried because I don't like wearing masks. It's hard to breathe in them, it irritates my skin, and I want to be able to smile. I feel like I can't communicate properly with a mask on. We hardly see anyone smile anymore because they're always wearing a mask. I know that's not the point, but it's really sad. I want to breathe. I want to go to church without a mask, but I'm afraid I'm going against the bible by not caring about my neighbor. I would only be not wearing a mask to church. Anywhere else, I will be. I just want to freely serve God and have faith that he will protect me, and actually breathe. But I'm so worried. People tell me to not go to a church like that, but I really feel the presence of God in that building. The members are so loving and they accept you for who you are. They don't judge you, they pray for you. They practice what the bible teaches. I want to be just like that. But I'm afraid I will be doing wrong by not using wisdom like the bible says. I'm afraid if I don't wear a mask to church, I'm literally not helping my neighbor like the bible says to do. Is it sinful to choose to rely on God for complete protection from Covid, without wearing a mask? Thanks
I do not think that anyone can speak for God as to what is or is not a sin regarding mask wearing. Jesus did say not to temp the Lord our God and He did teach us to be good stewards so a case could be made for using a mask to protect ourselves and others. My thought, it may not be a sin but it is likely a very good idea to use a mask. You could always talk to the pastor of the church that you attended.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The solution to the question of mask wearing ... is vaccination.

If enough people get vaccinated ... then nobody will need to wear masks (to protect from COVID).

Because some which might attend our church gatherings are not known to be vaccinated, ... we wear masks in our church gatherings. But, if we are in a group where we know that everyone has been vaccinated, ... we can take off the masks.

The second great command from God ... is to "Love your neighbor, as you love yourselves." Therefore, we should strive to save ourselves ... and our neighbors ... from any deadly disease which might threaten them.

Mask wearing ... and vaccination ... are not ultimately mandated. But they can be expressions of LOVE ... during this time of pandemic ...

Upvote 0

Peter J Barban

Mar 29, 2016
Taiwan
Visit site
✟97,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If your church community is not wearing masks, then you are not sinning by doing what they do.

Also, inadvertently making people sick is not a sin. Intention matters.

Before Covid came, we all made each other sick at church, school, and home. Some of us even died. This is not sinning and never has been because it was generally accepted that communal worship included a small health risk.

My rule is if the church wants to wear masks, wear masks, if they don't, then don't. There is no sin unless you are trying to make people sick/afraid of sickness.

On the other hand, some people are so afraid of Covid that it becomes an idol that controls them through fear.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Before Covid came, we all made each other sick at church, school, and home. Some of us even died. This is not sinning and never has been because it was generally accepted that communal worship included a small health risk.
There is some nuance to this view. It depends upon what sickness you might be infectious with.

In the Old Testament, those with leprosy ... were housed outside the city walls ... and needed certification of being cured by the priests ... before they were allowed to intermingle with the uninfected.

My wife finally convinced me ... that it was not loving to subject my fellow congregants ... to even colds ... or flu.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟890,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I think as long as you keep social distance and cover your mouth if you cough or sneeze your fine. Outside of coughing and sneezing a mask doesn’t do anything to reduce the spread when your just breathing or talking.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I belive if you are breaking a rule it is a sin no matter what it is. Blessings

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Because taking active steps to help prevent the spread of Covid is helping and caring for your neighbor. Therefore if you do not do these things, you are sinning. Is this true? I'm really really worried because I don't like wearing masks.
As others here have sensed, the answer depends in part upon the consequences of being unmasked, how you'd behave otherwise, and what your own understanding of the effects of going unmasked are.

If you make every effort not to breathe on someone else in the building, and/or you do not believe that masks work to prevent the spread of the virus anyway, your acts would not normally be considered sinful. However, if you believed that your actions could endanger other people but you went ahead anyway, whether or not you find masking to be uncomfortable, that would be intentional, and most people would consider that to be a sin.

One more thing. Other worshippers may have poor immune systems, and some are sure to be elderly, so they are afraid of the disease. For this reason alone, I would have serious doubts about it being Christian for you not to endure masking for the little while you are near them if that is at all possible.

Love and charity must be considered here, but of course you alone know if masks are unbearable for you or just inconvenient. People not being able to see you smile while wearing a mask doesn't strike me as a very important consideration, for example, when people's health may be at stake.

Last edited:
Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟573,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

IMO it's only a sin if you're purposely trying to infect others. Some might think this doesn't happen, but there really is that kind of evil in the world. And that is a sin.

IMO

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hmm a sin? No there is a prophet that has a video of himself where God told him in June 2019 there was coming a pandemic world wide and the unscrupulous would take advantage of it. <--now we know NO ONE knew about this covid until late Nov-Dec. As we look out into the world what GOD said is happening before our eyes.

Its kind of hard in this case when we talk about "masks". Before 2020 and after when our leaders and Scientist tell us masks don't work...wait mask might keep a big drop but will not stop you from getting covid..wait masks work and 2 are better... wait masks don't work you don't need them..wait masks work.

See "obey the speed limit". That is mans law that GOD will expect us to obey. But masks? The Gov can not tell America to ware a mask that goes against the constitution. If my stated said "all must ware a mask when going into stores, eating". I better ware a mask! Each state has the right. My state.. no one has to ware a mask.. some do some don't. Most won't get to close when standing in line yet... me and my son were talking about this not long ago.. MOST places now .. its as if covid never existed..that is sad.

But no :) its not a sin.. its just being wise to ware a mask and not get to close.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟122,267.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
I've been told by many Christians that God will not protect someone from Covid if they refuse to follow the CDC guidelines.

I have searched for that scripture ....and I am coming up empty.

People are going to tell you all sorts of things...including me, but you need to do what you feel in your heart is right for you...what you are comfortable with. I am not saying those who made that statement, don't have your best interest in mind, but they have fallen prey to the wide spread fear that is being pushed by the god of this world...sorry, it's true. There is nothing biblical about living or succumbing to fear ...on the contrary.
Whatever you decide to do ....do what is right for you, not what is right in the eyes of others. Ultimately.... put your trust in God because He will protect you.

I have done my research on masks and I know thy are almost useless... not all masks, but even the N95 only offer a small amount of security....unless you wear three....
For me ....I have not worn a mask since this pandemic began...based on the side note below...but that is me...You do what yo need to do.

As a side note:
At the beginning of this pandemic Fauci told us that masks will not protect us...Then a short time later he told us to wear masks ...and said he was lying about not wearing masks.... because there was a shortage and he wanted to make sure healthcare workers had enough....
So, if that is true, that he lied about not wearing a mask ...He was willing to put at risk and possibly kill thousands of people by telling them that masks were not necessary...
Which is the truth Fauci???
The truth is ....Trust God ....that is it.

Upvote 0

AK1982

All things ... through HIM who strengthens!
Sep 26, 2019
Netherlands
✟29,012.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
We, as Christians, are called to be blameless and also wise. If your wisdom/sense, hints you to wear a mask, then you need to.

Also, if there's a mandate to wear a mask as part of restrictive measures Governments are taking, then Scripture says you need to adhere to it:

Romans 13:1 - Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.

• Agree
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,149,208.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
It's hard to answer the OP because as others have noted, sin depends upon intention. But I think it's unethical to take unnecessary risks. That is, it's not OK to expose people to risk just because you don't intend them to get sick.

I wouldn't focus on just masks. You need a combination of masks, distance, ventillation, and vaccination.

There's another ethical question, which is going to a church that is knowingly exposing its members to the risk of Covid. If a church is not wise in matters where we have pretty clear scientific knowledge, why should you trust them on matters that can't be seen so easily? So I would suggest that going to that church might be a sin.

(This all assumes you're in one of the colder states in the US, as you appear to be. There are some places where you might argue for at least some relaxation of policy.)

• Agree
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I would say get vaccinated if you aren't, relax a bit, and take special care if you're going to be around unvaccinated people. You can trust God, but don't test God. There is an unfortunate number of loud people who profess Christianity but they test God by not being prudent. They get people killed, sometimes themselves. Don't be like them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟736,552.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The way I look at it is as follows:

In various places, the bible tells us to obey the authorities that rule over us. If they mandate masks, social distancing, etc. We should obey their mandate.

Rom 13:1-2 Obey the rulers who have authority over you. Only God can give authority to anyone, and he puts these rulers in their places of power. People who oppose the authorities are opposing what God has done, and they will be punished.

As for relying upon God. I trust God 100% to protect me from covid. But I still wear masks etc, because it is mandated. Christians should not be seen as rebels.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I recently started a new church and noticed that no one there wears masks, or practices sociall distancing. I've been told by many Christians that God will not protect someone from Covid if they refuse to follow the CDC guidelines.

Well, that's a load of baloney. Chapter and verse, please. Masking and social distancing are just "safety theater," nonsensical mandates intended to keep people feeling they are in jeopardy and willing, then, to yield up their liberties and freedoms with little thought. There's nothing quite like fear to make people irrational and thoughtless.

I was told that you can have all the faith in the world that God will protect you from this deadly disease. But if you don't use wisdom, you are not being a true Christian.

Don't you know that God has given each of us immune systems that, generally, are far better at fighting diseases like the Wuhan virus than any vaccine? Of healthy people under sixty, 99.5% recover from the virus and upwards of 50% of infected people never know they were infected. The Wuhan virus is deadly among a comparatively small group of people who are vulnerable to it as a result of "co-morbidities," pre-existing health issues, that complicate and exaggerate the effects of infection. In fact, many of the fatalities attributed to the Wuhan virus are actually from other things entirely. A few months ago, there was a boy of thirteen in the province of Alberta who was spotlighted by the pop media as an example of the terrible danger children are in from the virus. He had died, ostensibly, from the virus, but in actuality from stage four brain cancer which his family had to go on social media to make clear. The boys parents were particularly enraged by the blatant false reporting of the pop media that were using the tragedy of the loss of their son as a Wuhan virus propaganda point.

Anyway, there are far more people being infected by the Wuhan virus and recovering from it without serious incident who are not Christians than who are. They don't acknowledge or love God and yet they are okay. How does this work with the "God won't protect you from this deadly disease" stuff you've been told?

Because taking active steps to help prevent the spread of Covid is helping and caring for your neighbor. Therefore if you do not do these things, you are sinning. Is this true?

Nope. It's total nonsense, really. Neither masking nor distancing have a basis in well-researched data. It is by no means clear that doing either thing makes any material difference to the transmission of the virus. But it does keep you near-constantly aware that there is danger all around you from others which fosters fear and isolation and increasing, floating frustration and anger that the government is now urging you to direct at any who don't follow the government's mandates.

Do you drive a car? Do you know Christians who do? Every time a believer drives their car along a roadway occupied by other drivers, they put all those other drivers at risk (and vice versa). Any number of things can happen, causing an accident and serious harm or even death. A tire can blow, a tie-rod snap, brakes can fail, a driver can be surprised and frightened by something unexpected entering the roadway (animal, cyclist, person, boulders, etc.), or dangerously distracted, or maybe have a heart attack, or stroke. The list goes on. Driving a car is actually one of the most dangerous things people do on a regular basis. And since motorized vehicles took to the roads many MILLIONS of people have died worldwide - far more than have died from the Wuhan virus. Many more have been seriously injured and permanently maimed in road accidents. Daily, approximately 4000 people die in road accidents globally. But do you hear the same rotten moralizing about driving that you do about the virus? Not a peep. That's because the moralizing rhetoric isn't actually about health, about protecting people, but about making people follow the government's rules; it's about being compliant, an obedient drone.

So, no, it is not a sin if you don't go along, complying with the authoritarian mandates of governments slowly moving toward tyranny. As far as I'm concerned, the sin is on the side of those who engage in such specious moralizing toward Christian brethren who don't see things their way.

I want to go to church without a mask, but I'm afraid I'm going against the bible by not caring about my neighbor. I would only be not wearing a mask to church. Anywhere else, I will be. I just want to freely serve God and have faith that he will protect me, and actually breathe. But I'm so worried.

See above. There is no sin in not wearing a mask.

And if you haven't been vaccinated yet and are healthy, trust to your God-given immune system. The immunity it will give you is much superior to anything the vaccines achieve, longer-lasting and fuller in the spectrum of resistance to the virus. We know the vaccinated remain able both to be infected and to infect others, so there is no advantage to being vaccinated in these respects. Only if you are in the high-risk group with dangerous co-morbidities would the vaccines be of much use. But even then, there are very serious risks in being vaccinated, dangerous side-effects including myocarditis, pericarditis, stroke, heart attack, paralysis, ADE and death.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Taodeching

Oct 29, 2020
Southwest
✟60,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Sin depends on intention. Unless something is called out as sin then your left with intention as many have said. Waring a mask is not that bad and it help others. Now you may not be able to wear cloth mask but there are mask that one can wear. I can not wear cloth mask, it literally gives me an asthma attack. I can wear paper mask and I get them at CVS.

If your state says to wear a mask and you don't on purpose then you are violating Romans 13:1-2. If they don't then it is up to each organization.

There is no sin relying on God. It is stupid though not to use the brains and technology He has provided to fight Covid.

Upvote 0