Is it Biblical to call any man "Christ" or "Lord?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetruthseeker

Sep 26, 2002
✟423.00
Originally posted by Wonder
If calling anyone Christ is wrong, then the name Christian would be wrong. Lord means master or husband...guess it would depend on how it was applied.

Hi Wonder,

The name Christ and the name Christian are not the same thing.

Christ is the Son of God. The original Greek for the name "Christian" is "Christianos." "Christianos" literally means "follower of Christ."

Your brother in Christ,
TheTruthSeeker

Upvote 0

thetruthseeker

Sep 26, 2002
✟423.00
I would like to know how you got that infro.....from strongs I get the (Christian) fraternity:--brethren, brotherhood.
Where the head goes...so goes the body.

Hi Wonder,

Here it is directly from Strong's:

05546:
5546 Christianos khris-tee-an-os' from 5547; a Christian, i.e. follower of Christ:--Christian. see GREEK for 5547

Your brother in Christ,
TheTruthSeeker

Upvote 0
Where He goes the body goes....follower... in the vine...baptized in Him... a part of Him....He in us as we are in Him....Christian...we carry His name...we carry His spirit...I would say if you use the word Christian you are saying that is part of Christ. I see nothing wrong with it....I like to see people who can answer their own question instead of just relying on others. If you want me to see it differ, that I will consider....let me know what I am to see.
Always seeking :)

Upvote 0

thetruthseeker

Sep 26, 2002
✟423.00
Where He goes the body goes....follower... in the vine...baptized in Him... a part of Him....He in us as we are in Him....Christian...we carry His name...we carry His spirit...I would say if you use the word Christian you are saying that is part of Christ. I see nothing wrong with it....I like to see people who can answer their own question instead of just relying on others. If you want me to see it differ, that I will consider....let me know what I am to see.
Always seeking :)

Hi Wonder,

Would you say that you are Christ or that you belong to Christ (a follower of Christ)?

Your brother in Christ,
TheTruthSeeker

Upvote 0

thetruthseeker

Sep 26, 2002
✟423.00
I would say I am a part of Christ....which follows wherever He goes. And you?
(sheild is up and ready) :)

Hi Wonder,

Yes, I am a follower of Christ.

Now, back to the original question. Is it Biblical to call any man "Christ" or "Lord?"

Your brother in Christ,
TheTruthSeeker

Upvote 0

billhabing

Feb 18, 2002
Gilroy, California
Visit site
✟336.00
Faith
Christian
Originally posted by thetruthseeker
Hi All,

Is it Biblical to call any man by the names associated with God like "Christ" or "Lord?" Why? Why not?

Thanks your brother in Christ,
TheTruthSeeker

I know Jesus said to call no man "Rabi", "teacher", "Father" because we are all brothers

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Athlon4all

I'm offline indefintely
Feb 6, 2002
Visit site
✟15,965.00
Not unless that man is the LORD Jesus Christ back incarnate, which will never happen. The word "Lord" has 2 very different meanings, especially in the Hebrew Language. The first one is spelled in some (most?) Bibles "Lord", and essentially means "master" (Heb. Adonai, Adoni). This Lord is used in the Bible itself of men (Ex. Numbers 12:13 "And Aaron said unto Moses, Alas, my lord, I beseech thee, lay not the sin upon us, wherein we have done foolishly, and wherein we have sinned.") I believe usually Adonai is what is used for the one and living God. The other is LORD (all caps, Heb Jehovah/Yahweh). That should never be used for any man except for Jesus Christ. Jehovah/Yahweh literally means the "self-existing one". It is a wonderful name to study. You can see it as a name of the covenant God, you see his righteousness, and it has many compound names (Jehovah-Jireh "The LORD will provide", Jehovah-M'Kaddesh "The LORD who sanctifies you", Jehovah-Tsidekenu "The LORD Our Righteousness" (thats a wonderful prophesy in Jeremiah 23 regarding "a righteous branch" (ie Jesus Christ)) and there are others).

Upvote 0
Originally posted by seangoh
Well, that's a tough question. I don't think i'll bother. I've never heard of anyone calling themself "Christ" or "Lord"...but i sure heard ppl whose names are "Jesus"

Hi Seangoh,

What do you think about this material from the Vatican:

46. ... In founders and foundresses we see a constant and lively sense of the Church, which they manifest by their full participation in all aspects of the Church's life, and in their ready obedience to the Bishops and especially to the Roman Pontiff. Against this background of love towards Holy Church, "the pillar and bulwark of the truth" (1 Tim 3:15), we readily understand the devotion of Saint Francis of Assisi for "the Lord Pope", the daughterly outspokenness of Saint Catherine of Siena towards the one whom she called "sweet Christ on earth", the apostolic obedience and the sentire cum Ecclesia of Saint Ignatius Loyola, and the joyful profession of faith made by Saint Teresa of Avila: "I am a daughter of the Church".

Vatican Source: Pope John Paul II, Apostolic Exhortation VITA CONSECRATA, (On The Consecrated Life And Its Mission In The Church And In The World), March 25, 1996.

You can see the same blasphemous titles on the official Web site of the Vatican. Please click the link below and do a search for "sweet Christ" or "Lord Pope."

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/apost_exhortations/documents/hf_jp-ii_exh_25031996_vita-consecrata_en.html

Here is another one.

This Synod can be read, in this area, as an expression of full communion with and in the Universal Church, and with the Roman Pontiff His Holiness John Paul II "the sweet Christ on earth".

Vatican Source: Synodus Episcoporum 15 - 8.10.1999

http://www.vatican.va/cgi-bin/w3-msql/news_services/synod/news_europa_99/49_ed_ingle.html?lang=en&edition=3&volume=15&index=49#Rev.%20Sr.%20Irina%20-%20M.%20Ioana%20BOTA

This sounds like a false Christ to me. No, it sounds like the false Christ to me. It sounds like the Anti-Christ to me.

Your brother in Christ,
TheTruthSeeker

Upvote 0

seangoh

Veteran
Dec 10, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
✟16,661.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Truthseeker,
I believe there is a difference on how people use the names of "Christ" and "Lord"....for some people, they just use it for the sake of using it. For a religious organisation like the papacy, they use it for a purpose, that is to claim Christ reincarnate on earth.
Of course the usage of it by the papacy is real blasphemy, but the same can't be said of those people who use these names, each has to be examined case by case to reach a conclusion because maybe those names have been passed down by tradition and without thinking, they just use it. Or some others just use it since it's unique. Of course some use it for fun too even though they know it's the Lord's name.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

EPHRIAM777

A REAL NICE GUY..!
Dec 6, 2002
PHILLY
✟620.00
Originally posted by thetruthseeker
Hi All,

Is it Biblical to call any man by the names associated with God like "Christ" or "Lord?" Why? Why not?

Thanks your brother in Christ,
TheTruthSeeker

Eph says..

....Other than calling Jesus ..."Christ"..( which means Messiah )...We should NOT call any man here on earth "Christ"...Because Jesus Christ is the ONLY "Christ" there ever will be...

Although if your thinking along the lines that JESUS was a man and therefore we should not call HIM Christ...because he was a man...That would be wrong...

He was a man..and was God all at the same time all the time...( that is a subject for another thread though )

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.