Is it better to raise children without religion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,734.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
This article says studies show it is.
According to multiple reports, research has shown that a secular upbringing may be healthier for children. According to a 2010 Duke University study, kids raised this way display less susceptibility to racism and peer pressure, and are “less vengeful, less nationalistic, less militaristic, less authoritarian, and more tolerant, on average, than religious adults.” But the list of benefits doesn’t stop there.
I'm suspicious of the study. While I think that the religious right might be promoting vengeance, nationalism, militarism, and authoritarianism, and while I think that all those character traits are negative, I think that a kinder, gentler, more progressive religious faith provides a good ethical framework for adulthood and beyond.
What do you think?

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,988.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Oh no my gosh! Studies have shown it is? Guess that's it then. We've got to believe such studies are complied by honorable individuals that don't have bias in how they even formulate their thoughts.
According to multiple reports,
Multiple reports. That's a good one too. In other words other groups that may not like God in the same way that we don't have said the same thing. ;At least this has all put a smile on my face. :)
I'm suspicious of the study. While I think that the religious right might be promoting vengeance, nationalism, militarism, and authoritarianism,
I'm glad you're supitious of it. I agree religoius people can go down a wrong path and if they're not careful really be promoting authoritiarinsm. But I think the other side can do this too. A quote by Thomas Jefferson I like,

'In questions of power let no more be heard of the confidence in man but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the constitution.'

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
A couple of Scriptures:

"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it." Pro 22:6

The Golden Rule - Treat others the way you would like to be treated - Matt 7:12

Teach children to have the fear of the Lord (Psa 34:11). The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever." (Psa 111:10, Job 28:28, Pro 1:7, 9:10, 15:33, Isa 33:6)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,349.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
A couple of Scriptures:

"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it." Pro 22:6

The Golden Rule - Treat others the way you would like to be treated - Matt 7:12

Teach children to have the fear of the Lord (Psa 34:11). The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever." (Psa 111:10, Job 28:28, Pro 1:7, 9:10, 15:33, Isa 33:6)
Luckily we don't need the third to do the first and second.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟107,144.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
According to multiple reports, research has shown that a secular upbringing may be healthier for children. According to a 2010 Duke University study, kids raised this way display less susceptibility to racism and peer pressure, and are “less vengeful, less nationalistic, less militaristic, less authoritarian, and more tolerant, on average, than religious adults.” But the list of benefits doesn’t stop there.
I'm suspicious of the study. While I think that the religious right might be promoting vengeance, nationalism, militarism, and authoritarianism, and while I think that all those character traits are negative, I think that a kinder, gentler, more progressive religious faith provides a good ethical framework for adulthood and beyond.
What do you think?

one can believe in God without making a religion out of it, just as one can make a religion out of not believing in God ...

• Agree
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,450.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
What do you think?

I think most religions are on the negative
side. Giving benefit of doubt, and all.

I dont know which isnt, or how it isnt.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,450.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Oh no my gosh! Studies have shown it is? Guess that's it then. We've got to believe such studies are complied by honorable individuals that don't have bias in how they even formulate their thoughts.

Multiple reports. That's a good one too. In other words other groups that may not like God in the same way that we don't have said the same thing. ;At least this has all put a smile on my face. :)

I'm glad you're supitious of it. I agree religoius people can go down a wrong path and if they're not careful really be promoting authoritiarinsm. But I think the other side can do this too. A quote by Thomas Jefferson I like,

'In questions of power let no more be heard of the confidence in man but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the constitution.'

IOW it cant be true coz u dont like it?

Reactions: Larniavc
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
The article references an LA Times Op/Ed by Phil Zuckerman, which references the Duke study.

As far as I can tell, the Duke study is not about child rearing.

However, Zuckerman also mentions another study that's more relevant: "For nearly 40 years, Bengston has overseen the Longitudinal Study of Generations, which has become the largest study of religion and family life conducted across several generational cohorts in the United States. When Bengston noticed the growth of nonreligious Americans becoming increasingly pronounced, he decided in 2013 to add secular families to his study in an attempt to understand how family life and intergenerational influences play out among the religionless."

Anyway, I suggest ignoring the bustle article in the OP, and read Zuckerman's original piece. I think Bustle has added some click-baitiness to what Phil wrote.

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
The LA Times article was behind a firewall. Thanks for reading and adding some input.
I do like Phil's writing on these topics in the LA Times and elsewhere. If you have more interest, you might look into his books.

On the actual topic... obviously the nones are far more numerous now than in decades past. A corollary of that is that many (most?) secular adults were raised in religious households. In particular, the Duke study was about secular adults, so whatever difference there was was not entirely due to secular upbringing.

Upvote 0

J_B_

I have answers to questions no one ever asks.
May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟109,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There has been an obvious secular trend in Western culture ever since the Enlightenment ... maybe earlier. That was at least partially due to corruption in religious institutions that caused a loss of trust in said institutions. Studies like these will always depend on the things that are most easily measured, and studies of people are ridiculously difficult to insulate against problems of correlation and causation.

My point is, the conclusion stems more from a human problem than a spiritual problem. Those nones who delight in the conclusion will probably be disappointed (if they live long enough) when the pendulum swings back the other way. There are already indications that Gen Z (or whatever buzzword generation we're on now) distrusts secular institutions (including scientific ones) as much as they distrust religious ones.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟315,079.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
What do you think?

My son learnt about many religions at school. He calls religious stories fairy tales for grown ups.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,543.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Such associative studies are a junk science. The "good upbringing" depends on so many factors that it has no point to even try to reduce it to "religion vs non-religion".

Also, the definitions of "healthier, less vengeful" etc are so vague and subjective, that they bear no useful meanings.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Such associative studies are a junk science. The "good upbringing" depends on so many factors that it has no point to even try to reduce it to "religion vs non-religion".

Also, the definitions of "healthier, less vengeful" etc are so vague and subjective, that they bear no useful meanings.
Im definitely cautious about sociology studies given the recent track record.

But to say this particular one is "junk science" youd have to critique the specific methodologies and definitions employed. Absent that, youre just giving us sheer opinion with no basis.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

J_B_

I have answers to questions no one ever asks.
May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟109,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Im definitely cautious about sociology studies given the recent track record.

But to say this particular one is "junk science" youd have to critique the specific methodologies and definitions employed. Absent that, youre just giving us sheer opinion with no basis.
Fair enough. I've always had a low opinion of sociology. Then I read more about Auguste Comte and the beginnings of sociology and my opinion found new lows. Still, I'll do my best to be fair.

• Informative
Reactions: durangodawood
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,734.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I guess the "bottom line" of these studies is that some Christians are Christians-in-name-only.
They preach what they don't practice, and they preach intolerance, authoritarianism, etc.

Conversely, some secular families have a strong sense of values and ethics based on the Golden Rule.

When the religious right became a branch of the Republican Party in the early 1980's, they became overly political. And sadly, a party which used to have numerous politicians I respected (Robert Dole, John McCain, Jacob Javits, John Danforth, George H.W. Bush...) has taken a terrible turn in the 21st century.

If Christians took the words of Jesus more seriously, instead of making themselves the bedroom police of their neighbors, a religious upbringing would once again always be a positive thing.

Upvote 0

Reasonably Sane

With age comes wisdom, when it doesn't come alone.
Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟26,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Depends on the religion. I wouldn't raise children in Islam. But I'd show them the love of Jesus and the power of his two commandments - love God and love your neighbor as yourself. I also may share with them the benefit of accepting Jesus as your gateway to an eternal relationship with your Father/Creator.

I think it's all the human added fluff, even in Christian churches, that is the problem. I mean, the KKK saw themselves as a "Christian" organization.

Upvote 0

partinobodycular

Jun 8, 2021
partinowherecular
✟88,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Depends on the religion.

Actually, it doesn't depend on the religion at all. Per the title, it's definitely better to raise a child without religion. All else being equal, religion can only serve to make the child worse... never better.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sunflower39

Anglican
Aug 23, 2023
UK
✟22,287.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I bought a kids bible for my 6 year old which he enjoys reading. We also say prayers at night before bed which he loves doing. Sometimes, he will want to go to church and sometimes he won’t but I don’t force it on him if he doesn’t want to go. He knows that some people don’t believe in God, he tells me that he does.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.